• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chazb5046

Major
47 Badges
May 9, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Hello all, I have played in the Low Countries shamefully few times. As such, I don’t know how the region plays. If I were to play as Holland, and let’s say burgundy doesn’t dissolve, how would the Dutch revolt event effect me? Would it even fire?
Do I get the option, as Holland, to just transform into the Netherlands and then get those sweet sweet revolting provinces? Or is it simply a matter of collecting provinces and then taking the decision?

Many thanks in advance !

Ps: Also, any further Dutch tall advice is welcome :)

It's been a few patches since I played Holland -> Netherlands, so beware of potentially outdated advice in the following, but I remember that it was very easy to break free right away. If you find a couple of strong supporters (France, England, Austria, etc.) you'll either be released peacefully by Burgundy, or perhaps better, be in a position to fight a successful independence war where you gain some provinces. You'll then have to acquire the remaining needed provinces to form the Netherlands, after which any remaining dutch nations should be likely to join you. Try to maintain at least one strong ally after independence. France should work well at least for some decades.
Good luck!

Reactions:
Not sure how the Dutch revolts work for the player.

But my advice for a run is fight and independence war and make sure burgundy loses the provinces you need to form the Netherlands (either by you taking it or releasing subjects), you don’t want Castille/France/Austria getting the early.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Dutch revolts would not affect you. No. No. Yes.

This is one of those times where it is disadvantageous to be a player.

The Dutch revolts happen so late anyway that you should as Holland have those provinces already.

Reactions:
Just give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?

Burgundy's initial rivals are quite important and out of your control. You could restart until the situation is favorable or just go with whatever you get. I just started a Holland game and Burgundy's rivals were France, England and Austria. They all supported my independence so that was a cakewalk. But halfway through the war, the succession fired and went to Castile. Which only has pointless rivals like Mamluks and Morocco, so not sure how I'm going to take Breda from them.

So it's all pretty luck dependent. Ideally I could have taken some provinces in that independence war.

Reactions:
I remember I pulled off quite a feat by winning independence war, taking 2 provinces from Brabant and immediately improving relations with Burgundy to get a royal marriage. By 1450 Burgundian Inheritance fired and I got all their HRE provinces.
Insane stroke of Luck but certainly worth a try

• 1Haha
Reactions:
For going tall my advice is simple, unite the low countries, or if that's to much just the modern Netherlands, or if that's to much just stay as Holland. Cash in the money, pay high level advisors to get more mana and spend it.

It's pretty easy. One other interesting option I was considering is to go for a vassal swarm set up. Originally the Dutch formed the 'united provinces' which still gave autonomy to the provinces and they elected the stadtholder. So you could say you vassalize all the Dutch minors and roleplay with that concept. But I think that's more for roleplaying reasons then actually a optimal way to play. But I can imagine that a united Dutch minor vassal swarm can do some harm to attackers :p

Then just go full tall on Holland, something basically also happened in the real Netherlands were Holland is pretty much the economic heart, basically one big grown together metropolis, I think you can travel from Rotterdam towards Amsterdam without ever passing anything that counts as rural, while Friesland, Gelre, Brabant, Limburg are mostly the rural backland. With exception of the Eindhoven region, maybe. Anyways just look at a google maps sattelite and you see that Holland basically is becoming one big endless city. So just develop that super tall and use the rest as vassals might be a roleplay thing to do and even work as a tactic. You'll be rich from trade anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Do I get the option, as Holland, to just transform into the Netherlands and then get those sweet sweet revolting provinces? Or is it simply a matter of collecting provinces and then taking the decision?
You have to look after a strong nation who will support your independence mostly GB will accept it or even France. Whether you start as Holland, Brabant or Flanders you can form with all of them the Netherlands but before you must conquer all of them step by step. A better and easier start could be with the rich Brabant. And btw you need Friesland and all the other OPMs in the north too.

Reactions: