Please help someone who's new to the concept of buying a game without a cd...and internet and the whole 21st century

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

butchbird

Recruit
May 15, 2020
So here I am, big battletech fan who's been using the same computer for 19 years, and only recently got the internet 'cause the wife was getting lonely what with all that corona stuff. So we got the net...then I coudn't help but check on the progress of that new battletech game I knew they were developping, and to my surprise I discovered it was already out with a [Mod edit: language] load of dlcs...whatever that is. Evidently I need it, after all, playing mechcommander for 20+years gets tedious. Now the problem is I don't know how this all works so please help with my questions, and sorry if this thread is not in the right sub-forum.

1: now I don't have a computer able to run the game, I'll take care of that once we can go out shopping again, so...seeing as how there's a huge sale on the battletech game now, can I buy it NOW and download it LATER( since I guess there are no hard copys nowdays)?

2: I've tried to understand a bit how games work in the 21st century and I've come across the concept of drm....from what I understand that means once you download the game on a computer you're stuck with playing the game on THAT computer WHILE ALSO connected to the internet...this would be a problem for me as I would rather non connecting to the net except to download the game...is it possible to play offline and download the game on a another computer someday if I need to upgrade my machine for «hearts of Iron:succession wars», or something?

sorry if its all a bit cloudy, haven't written in english for years, thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
AFAIK, once you’re purchased a game for your launch platform of choice (which, in case or BATTLETECH, might be Steam, GOG or Paradox’s own launcher) you can download it whenever you want (i.e. right away, or even after years) and then play it whenever you want. You may even download and play it on as many computers as you want, even though you will be able to play it on one device at a time only. You might also be able to store your saved games on the launcher’s cloud, so that you’re never lose them and will always sync with all your devices you’ve downloaded it to. Finally, you will be able to play it either online or offline too.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I remember the days of game boxes and CDs. I kind of miss the boxes. :)

DLC is DownLoadable Content. Think of it as expansion packs. There are 3 of them for Battletech and you can get all of them together with the Season Pass or by getting the Mercenary Collection which also includes the main game.

DRM is Digital Rights Management and it is how companies enforce their copyrights with digital goods. It only restricts you to one computer in the most extreme and terrible versions. I haven't heard of any computer game going that far. Battletech definitely doesn't have those restrictions. You can play offline, but an internet connection is required for multiplayer (LAN should be possible, but haven't seen it discussed).

There are a few sites you can get the game from. Steam and GOG are probably the most common. You can also purchase directly from Paradox. If you are concerned about DRM, GOG's big selling point is that they don't include any DRM. I use both sites.

You may also be interested in MechWarrior 5. Currently it is only available on the Epic Games Store and reviews are mixed, but as a mech fan, you might be interested.

Reactions:
So here I am, big battletech fan who's been using the same computer for 19 years, and only recently got the internet 'cause the wife was getting lonely what with all that corona stuff. So we got the net...then I coudn't help but check on the progress of that new battletech game I knew they were developping, and to my surprise I discovered it was already out with a [edit] load of dlcs...whatever that is. Evidently I need it, after all, playing mechcommander for 20+years gets tedious. Now the problem is I don't know how this all works so please help with my questions, and sorry if this thread is not in the right sub-forum.
First off: Welcome! It's never too late for a big BattleTech fan to join our little community!

DLC is an abbreviation for DownLoadable Content, which is what a lot of games nowadays use; basically you buy the game and then a while later an expansion comes out (either paid or free) which you can download and expand you game with. BATTLETECH's (yes, the official name of the game is in all-caps) DLCs are all paid-for, priced at about $20 if you buy them separately. They are quite often on sale, and they also can be bought via something called a Season Pass, which originally meant pay up-front for all three DLCs at a discount, and just download them when they get published (so sort of like a pre-order). Since all three DLCs are now published, the Season Pass is just a (discounted) bundle of them all.

1: now I don't have a computer able to run the game, I'll take care of that once we can go out shopping again, so...seeing as how there's a huge sale on the battletech game now, can I buy it NOW and download it LATER( since I guess there are no hard copys nowdays)?
BATTLETECH is available on Steam, Paradox Store, and GOG, and all of them allow you to purchase the game and download it later. They also all allow installation on several computers (although only one can normally be played at a time). So there shouldn't be a problem for you to take advantage of the current sale, and download and play the game once you've gotten a suitable computer.

2: I've tried to understand a bit how games work in the 21st century and I've come across the concept of drm....from what I understand that means once you download the game on a computer you're stuck with playing the game on THAT computer WHILE ALSO connected to the internet...this would be a problem for me as I would rather non connecting to the net except to download the game...is it possible to play offline and download the game on a another computer someday if I need to upgrade my machine for «hearts of Iron:succession wars», or something?
DRM means Digital Rights Management, and is the 21st century version of code wheels and "enter the third word in the second paragraph on page 29 of the manual to start the game") - basically they're there to try to ensure that only people that have paid for the game can play it (with varying degrees of success). Steam and Paradox Launcher both have DRM (although in Steam's case it is completely transparent to the user, I haven't used the Paradox Launcher), GOG does not. Steam and Paradox Launcher are normally online platforms, but can be used in offline mode as well. GOG does not require an online connection to play, just to download.

Hope that answers your questions, and don't be afraid to post more questions if you have them - we're actually a rather welcoming bunch of misfits, and are definitely keen on answering questions about our favourite franchise.

So again, welcome to the community!

Edit: I bought my first (non-console) computer games on cassette tape... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Welcome butchbird: FYI there are 2 modes of play, there is a campaign mode including story line missions & side missions. Mission to Artu you can Career mode is scored for a period of 1200 days. After the1200 days are up you can keep playing. Both modes are fun.

DLCs-Flashpoint: new mechs, flashpoint missions (if in CAMPAIGN mode) they will be available after completing the campaign, (if in CAREER mode) they are available sometime after starting.
Urban Warfare - new mechs & missions, city combat-it's fun to blow a buildingmout from under a mech: they take falling damage to their legs, the rubble will provide limited cover.
Heavy Metal - mini campaign, 10+ new mechs, fights against the Bounty Hunter's crew and the Black Widow's company, and a chance to get a prototype Clan Mect called the Bullshark.

Also download a copy of Eck's guide to Battletech, if you haven't already it will explain a lot. Read the upgrade notes. Once you have finished campaign and career mode it will be time to transition to various mods (IE. Battletech 3025 Extended - Commander's Edition(BEX-CE), Battletech Advanced (BTA), Roguetech-very hard) toname a few at nexusmods.

Above all have fun!!

Reactions:
so you don't need to use the «paradox launcher» if you buy the game from paradox?
You'll need to use the Paradox Store launcher [link] (which is different than the new Paradox Game launchers like in Stellaris) to download the game if you either bought the game directly from the Paradox Store, or through Steam yet don't want to make use of Steam for launching the game (this requires linking your Steam and Paradox accounts). Once you have downloaded BATTLETECH through the Paradox Store launcher you will not need to use the store launcher again, unless you want to either download the game onto another computer, or there is a patch that is released which at this point should rarely, if ever, happen.

Reactions:
DRM means Digital Rights Management, and is the 21st century version of code wheels and "enter the third word in the second paragraph on page 29 of the manual to start the game") - basically they're there to try to ensure that only people that have paid for the game can play it (with varying degrees of success). Steam and Paradox Launcher both have DRM (although in Steam's case it is completely transparent to the user, I haven't used the Paradox Launcher), GOG does not. Steam and Paradox Launcher are normally online platforms, but can be used in offline mode as well. GOG does not require an online connection to play, just to download.
Technically, Steam allows DRM but does not require it if the publisher doesn't want to spend the time implementing it. I believe that HBS did not implement DRM even on the Steam version of BattleTech, though I can't be sure since I always use GOG when I have the option. FWIW, I can still play the copy I made of the Beta (which was Steam only).

Technically, Steam allows DRM but does not require it if the publisher doesn't want to spend the time implementing it. I believe that HBS did not implement DRM even on the Steam version of BattleTech, though I can't be sure since I always use GOG when I have the option. FWIW, I can still play the copy I made of the Beta (which was Steam only).
It's "there" if only because Steam must be working properly for the steam version of BATTLETECH to run. Otherwise there isn't any, and there definitely isn't on say PDX or GoG.

Yes, but can you play it without Steam? If no, that's DRM - "a set of access control technologies for restricting the use of [...] copyrighted works. [...] to control the use, modification, and distribution of copyrighted works." (wikipedia)

Steam is a distribution platform that also acts as a DRM platform. You don't get any installers (so you cannot install your game without Steam), you cannot run your purchased game without Steam (offline mode notwithstanding). You also cannot modify or resell a used Steam game. That's textbook DRM right there.

HBS didn't put any additional DRM into BATTLETECH, above and beyond what being on Steam entails.

The best way to own/play Battletech is via GoG.com!
You can either use their Galaxy 2.0 Launcher or use the seperate downloadable installationfiles and have it work without any Launcher which is my favourite way to do things as this gives you full control/agency over the game you own instead of access only.

Though the game still will connect to a Paradox Account for...i have forgotten what it does and i believe you can play competely offline but lose some Skins or so.

Yes, but can you play it without Steam? If no, that's DRM - "a set of access control technologies for restricting the use of [...] copyrighted works. [...] to control the use, modification, and distribution of copyrighted works." (wikipedia)

Steam is a distribution platform that also acts as a DRM platform. You don't get any installers (so you cannot install your game without Steam), you cannot run your purchased game without Steam (offline mode notwithstanding). You also cannot modify or resell a used Steam game. That's textbook DRM right there.

HBS didn't put any additional DRM into BATTLETECH, above and beyond what being on Steam entails.
Maybe I didn't emphasize this enough, but it's clearly not true that just being on Steam entails DRM because the Beta was distributed via Steam and I was able to make a copy that I did, in fact, play in the period in between when the Beta was turned off and when the full release was made. I also tested the copy before the Beta was over by making sure that I could run it without Steam. Sure you don't get any installers, but once the files are installed you can copy them easily just like you would with any other files on your computer. Steam itself clearly enforces nothing unless the game requests it. (Whether or not the full released Steam version requires Steam to be running, I couldn't tell you... I just know the Beta didn't, so it's not required by Steam.)

But yeah, just use GOG... I certainly do.