Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey gang! Had an occurrence as a thought the other day. You have all these unique events in CK2 for cultures/religion/governance.

Would it be possible to have an event/hold a Highland Games for Scotland/Celtic nations.

I personally compete actively in the modern representation of the Highland Games Heavy Events.(and have done so all over the world)

And to briefly summarise the Highland games date back as early as the 11th Century and are credited as the inspiration for the modern format of the Olympic Games.

Here is an example of my recent training (although the competitive season is cancelled(I am sure you all know why)

If this is in anyway a possibility I would love the opportunity to talk more!

This thread is for issues not covered elsewhere. That post properly belongs in the CK2 Suggestions forum, although given that it's basically a done game, maybe CK3 would be better.

i really wanna help polish ck3 is there any easy things i can do for free to help u get it nice
We only use professional translation services.

But please post this in the CK3 forum, thanks.

Can Paradox confirm that they will be opting into Geforce Now service. This service has been a godsend to me allowing me to play Cities,Stellaris,HOI4 and Crusader on my not brilliant laptop. It has also allowed me to spend money on most of the DLC for these products so its a win all round:)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey guys. I'm intrested how devs and testers working in PDX. What methodology you use (waterfall, scrum, kanban), what instruments for work and communication.

Also do teams can be remote from all over the world, or all of them concentrated in one office?

And if it's not secret, can someone share some really sneaky bug (any game or instrument), which was really hard to catch? Thanks

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey guys. I'm intrested how devs and testers working in PDX. What methodology you use (waterfall, scrum, kanban), what instruments for work and communication.
We are supposed to be using an agile workflow, but we have historically been bad at doing that. Our gameplay systems are a bit too big and too interdependent to do the agile thing of developing until someone says stop. If you decide to make a focus tree in HoI, you can't just decide not to do the localisation. So it is fairly waterfall, although we are slowly making progress towards a faster and more agile dev cycle. Communication is largy via slack, with Confluence for documentation and JIRA for bug tracking.
Also do teams can be remote from all over the world, or all of them concentrated in one office?
Well, currently, we are all working remotely due to the ongoing case of 2020. But before that, we had studios in various different parts of the world. Consultants/Freelancers are also working remotely. The main office is in Stockholm, but we have two more studios in Sweden (Malmö and Umea), one in Delft (Netherlands), one in Seattle and one in Berkley.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you have a personal preference when it comes to choosing between fun (according to your subjective opinion, of course), historical accuracy/plausibility (or whatever the equivalent would be for Stellaris), and balance, assuming it is impossible to do something in a manner that's compatible with all of them?

How do you personally measure how much progress you are making on something, seeing as a lot of metrics (e.g. X lines of script) are a bit fuzzy when it comes to time/difficulty to implement them?

Assuming the original creator of something still is working on the same project, is it customary for them to iterate on or bugfix their own work (as they might know what they did/why they did something), customary for them not to do that (as they might be blind to their own mistakes), or decided on a case-by-case basis (e.g. based on who is available)?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you have a personal preference when it comes to choosing between fun (according to your subjective opinion, of course), historical accuracy/plausibility (or whatever the equivalent would be for Stellaris), and balance, assuming it is impossible to do something in a manner that's compatible with all of them?
For me I am a firm believer of Fun > Balance > Accuracy.

Of course ideally its a middle ground between all of those, but at the end of the day we are making games and they are meant to be fun. Balance next cause something being too powerful makes it the go to thing and reduces viable decisions you can make which takes away from fun strategic decision making. Then historical accuracy cause something somewhat plausible or a modern widely seen pop culture view on something which is fun is generally more enjoyable than something very accurate but boring, at the same time something purely fantasy and unbelievable takes you of the immersion of the game as well which is a negative on fun.

I think we strike a pretty good mid ground for those things though.

How do you personally measure how much progress you are making on something, seeing as a lot of metrics (e.g. X lines of script) are a bit fuzzy when it comes to time/difficulty to implement them?
There are few fool proof metrics but the things I take into account is generally quantity of things done, quality of implementation, time efficiency and future proofing.

Its all well and good to implement a bunch of new features very quickly but if they end up being buggy or not well tested then you are just making work for the future which you'll likely end up dealing with which is an overall loss.

This also depends in the stage of development you are in too, for experimental stuff you plant to rip out then time efficiency and quantity become more important. For core game play features then quality and future proofing become more important. And towards the end of development before you ship something you want to be whacking out fixes for a lot of bugs even if they may be not the perfect solution because that is better than the issue staying and you can budget future tech debt work to make it better, of course you don't want it to be a truly hacky fix as then it probably doesn't have enough quality to actually work right.

Pretty much the only bad measurement that exists is lines of code written, I can artificially extend or shorten pretty much every piece of code I write if I needed to.

Assuming the original creator of something still is working on the same project, is it customary for them to iterate on or bugfix their own work (as they might know what they did/why they did something), customary for them not to do that (as they might be blind to their own mistakes), or decided on a case-by-case basis (e.g. based on who is available)?
I wouldn't say its customary but more just sensible, they'll know the system better than you and its more efficient for someone to explain you the system on a high level before you dive in than it is for you to try and piece it together. They will also probably know the areas they were dissatisfied with that can give you a head start on places to look at to improve.

This also related to the previous question on metric for doing well, if you write something that nobody else can understand you make it harder for other people to ever work on it leaving you to be the only one who knows how it works leaving your team screwed if you are sick, on vacation, move team or quit as that black box of knowledge goes. So making things that is not unnecessarily complex, hard to read or littered with little gotchas is important.
As is writing good documentation and unit tests on things if you get the chance, though that can of course be easier said than done.

Reactions:
It'd be fun to see some P'Dox games rated on an HoI-esque alignment chart on those three axes.
Very true

What complicates matters is that whilst "balance" and "accuracy" are to so some extent objective, "fun" is highly subjective - and what one person may find a crushing level of accuracy another may well find very fun indeed.

Which is, I suppose, another way of saying I don't envy Paradox making those judgement calls (even when I think they fall on the wrong side of the fence).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is there any way I can buy the Surviving Mars Season pass on the Paradox store during the sale if I have the game on the Epic Store instead of Steam?
I'm afraid not, as we are not an Epic reseller. You'd need to wait for them to have a sale.

All the best!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any chance Paradox could re-examine it's Steam regional prices? Right now Paradox seems to be using default Steam pricing recommendations which are unfairly high for Ukraine. I am Ukrainian and our prices are 40-50% higher than for Russian users. This is despite the fact that average Russian income and purchasing power is higher than in Ukraine. Another wealthier countries that have the the pricing lower than Ukraine are Argentina, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Brazil. Would gladly purchase more games and DLC's for fairer price.

Do the Paradox developers intend to expand the Search function for the forums? The Search function currently appears to be limited to a maximum of 200 threads with no option to continue searching.