• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arona

Captain
6 Badges
May 30, 2015
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Hopfully yhis nice moding team will include SWMH map for CK3. CK2 has been almost unbearable without it. And i dear CK3 will be worse, seems like there is fewer countys

Reactions:
There might be fewer counties, but baronies are the actual provinces now, so there will be a lot more spots to put your troops on.

I will definetely try to adapt SWMH to CK3. Its gonna take a long while (i haven't been a part of the Beta, so i'm gonna start from scratch on the release date).

It looks to me like i have a lot of room to reach the current scope of SWMH if i rectify some of the worse decisions Vanilla has made with their setup.

The area south of Mali/Ghana could easily lose 25-30 provinces, by what i can see on the screenshots released.

The area North of Cumania could also easily lose 20 provinces.

The Kola Area will save us 7-8 provinces or what is inexplicably crammed in there

And i'm sure there is gonna be more, that would be put to better use in what i consider to be the core areas of the map, rather than putting them in sparsely populated areas, of peripheral power on the border of the map.

Last edited:
  • 22Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
No, still build up baronies independently.

yeah but you could do that also before. Takeing away things that have is never good thing. You could build baronys also before, but still had sensible ammount of countys. Right now CK3 development has chocen multible bad path. At first they decrease ammount of countys so less territorys to conquer. Second they had mad provinces potentials uneven some countys have more barony slots than others. Add third they tied baronys to countys so they cant be seperately conquered. Some things can be fixed with moding some no.

Some people say its sensible to have some countys with more baronys than others, i will not agree with it. i undrestand that some countys will start more baronys than others but world is in constant eveloution its not about repeating a history its about writing it. SO constantinople can become her life as centre of world, but centurys later it might be some backcountry couse rest of worlds have made better choices than constantinople. But CK3 takes this way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I will definetely try to adapt SWMH to CK3. Its gonna take a long while (i haven't been a part of the Beta, so i'm gonna start from scratch on the release date).

It looks to me like i have a lot of room to reach the current scope of SWMH if i rectify some of the worse decisions Vanilla has made with their setup.

The area south of Mali/Ghana could easily lose 25-30 provinces, by what i can see on the screenshots released.

The area North of Cumania could also easily lose 20 provinces.

The Kola Area will save us 5-6 provinces or what is inexplicably crammed in there

And i'm sure there is gonna be more, that would be put to better use in what i consider to be the core areas of the map, rather than putting them in sparsely populated areas, of peripheral power on the border of the map.

So, Tibet is safe? xD

I plan to keep the Vanilla scope yeah.

It needs some rebalancing. Paradox has gone over the top in Tibet too, but yeah i plan on making Tibet a part of SWMH in CK3

• 7Love
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I just hope that we get more barony slots to have better strategy/choice to place your castles, cities (if zone of control works like in EU4, I:R)

You will find overall that there is gonna be more provinces and more baronies in SWMH, when i adapt it to CK3, because there is more provinces in Vanilla CK3, and based on what i hear from Ziji and Arko (who are a part of the Beta), CK3 can actually handle it quite well.

But the Vanilla map needs a major rebalancing (The Sami region seems to have 12-13 provinces and Sicily has 4 provinces). And based on my knowledge of Vanilla baronies, i need to do a lot of work to get more baronies and provinces myself, because the Vanilla Devs have no reservations about using anachronistic Cities and Province names.

And its undoubtably gonna take me a long while after the release of Vanilla to get the first release of SWMH ready, because i will be beginning from scratch and doing all the legwork myself.

Some areas are gonna be easier to give more detail than others. Europe and the Middle East have a lot of additional potential, even from our CK2 setup. The limitations of the CK2 Game Engine have forced us to prioritize what we should and shouldn't have in the Mod.

The Steppes on the other hand could give me a headache. There isn't really that many recorded settlements from the Time Period to go on, so i'm gonna have to make some compromises, if i wanna increase the number of provinces and baronies on the Steppes. And i feel like i should, our setup is quite minimalistic in CK2.

India and Tibet, could give me headaches too, but i have reached out to forumites, whose knowledge on the areas i value and asked for their help.

Last edited:
Reactions:
You will find overall that there is gonna be more provinces and more baronies in SWMH, when i adapt it to CK3, because there is more provinces in Vanilla CK3, and based on what i hear from Ziji and Arko (who are a part of the Beta), CK3 can actually handle it quite well.

But the Vanilla map needs a major rebalancing (The Sami region seems to have 12-13 provinces and Sicily has 4 provinces). And based on my knowledge of Vanilla baronies, i need to do a lot of work to get more baronies and provinces myself, because the Vanilla Devs have no reservations about using anachronistic Cities and Province names.

And its undoubtably gonna take me a long while after the release of Vanilla to get the first release of SWMH ready, because i will be beginning from scratch and doing all the legwork myself.

Some areas are gonna be easier to give more detail than others. Europe and the Middle East have a lot of additional potential, even from our CK2 setup. The Limitations of the Game Engine have forced us to prioritize what we should and shouldn't have in the Mod.

The Steppes on the other hand could give me a headache. There isn't really that many recorded settlements from the Time Period to go on, so i'm gonna have to make some compromises, if i wanna increase the number of provinces and baronies on the Steppes. And i feel like i should, our setup is quite minimalistic in CK2.

India and Tibet, could give me headaches too, but i have reached out to forumites, whose knowledge on the areas i value and asked for their help.
I have no doubt that the provincial development system, and the baronies on the map, with empty holdings would change your opinion on something.

I have no doubt that the provincial development system, and the baronies on the map, with empty holdings would change your opinion on something.

I highly doubt it. The Development system can't even remotely cover how imbalanced the map is.

And besides, my experience with Development in Paradox games so far, is that their effect is negligible compared to actual provinces. And i doubt that Paradox has suddenly been able to develop a development system that actually matters.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:

Not sure if this aligns with your ideas, probably large, sparse lands like the Sami region could be made to have fewer province counts but the same amount of barony slots but with limited amount that you can actually build. What I mean is, the Russian cold north, Arabian desserts could be made into large provinces with a justifiable amount of barony slots for army engagements, but at the same time - it should have a limited buidable amount of baronies. (maybe tie supply limit towards built baronies could make sense)

And i doubt that Paradox has suddenly been able to develop a development system that actually matters.

I kind of like what we have in I:R, with a pop system, it actually feels better than EU4. I have a feeling that it will just be a reskin of what we have in CK2 (modifiers? pff)...

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Sami area is gonna be wasteland, like it is in our CK2 version of SWMH

The Sami area doesn't really belong in a Medieval Setting. The area was simply too inhospitable to matter. Both for settlement and for basic trade

• 1Like
Reactions: