• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
4th April 1945 - Slovaknarok
4th April 1945 - Slovaknarok

As the Battle for Berlin raged above them, the Slovak Cabinet had assembled in their designated broom cupboard to await the result.

wTViBZ2.jpg

It Begins. And those are not good odds to be facing any enemy, let alone the Mighty Black Bulls.

"I thought the Malars would be here for the end." Tiso said sadly.

"They didn't seem the fleeing types." Tuka agreed.

"They have not fled." Fritz reassured them. "You remember when Germany told us they had reorganised the War Minsitry."

"And we said that was a decision on a par with shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic." Tiso recalled.

"Well in that reorganisation they appointed a new Supreme Warmaster of the Reich to lead the defence of Berlin." Friz said.

"And they appointed Augustin Malar?" Tiso raised his eyebrows.

"I know he has years of fighting on the Eastern Front and was awarded the Knight's Cross. But surely they must have a better candidate?" Tuka added.

"He could never be appointed Supreme Warmaster of the Reich." Baron Von Killinger thundered.

"He hasn't been, Augustin will only be leading the Slovka HQ cadre into battle." Firtz reassured them. "Hitler appointed Gustav as Supreme Warmaster instead."

Tuka and von Killinger had a brief competition to see who could scream the most effectively, Tuka taking the edge on volume while the Baron's scream was agreed by the judges to be more demented.

0NbDMmE.jpg

General Pip showing his steely gaze and excellent hat as he prepared to face off against a particularly scruffy looking Gustav Malar. While dozens of shattered division and HQs stood in reserve, it fell to the empty shell of the two Latvian SS divisions and a handful of Fallschirmjägers to fail to defend Berlin.

After some worryingly brief and desultory shelling the door opened to reveal a pair of haggard looking Malars, who merely sadly shook their heads.

mTACAIu.jpg

Shockingly the final battle of the Reich had been lost. It can only be assumed the solitary British casualty was a staff officer laughing himself to death at the German Order of Battle.

As the halls of the Führerbunker echoed with gun fire and explosions, the Slovak Cabinet checked their weapons and made their final preparations.

"Any last words?" Tiso asked.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Assault guns on fire in the streets of Stalingrad. I watched Stukas dive at dusk near the Moscow Gates. All those moments will be lost in time, like blitzkrieg in mud. Time to die." Augustin Malar said.

The shout of a victorious Tommies indicated the corridor outside their room had been breached. Tiso nodded.

"One last thing gentlemen, it's been emotional." He said.

So as the boot of fate kicks in the door of destiny and the No.69 hand grenade of time flies towards the targets of eternity, I notice our work here is done and we have reached the end of the AAR.

UzH2GjC.jpg

The End.​

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Bravo Pip a second finished AAR under your belt! I hope you feel justly proud of yourself.

It was a fitting end for the gang, at least the grenade will save everyone involved the bother of being in the dock at Nuremberg. T and T can at least say they gave it their best shot.

No doubt you will now be devoting yourself entirely to another project and I don't mean the Fjord based one!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bolivian army ending.

Reactions:
I feel like I've just watched a unicorn die...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have loved this AAR for all the years I have followed it. What a masterclass in comedy writing! Thank you, @El Pip.

I would have liked to see how long Berlin would hold out If the Heroes of Paris were leading the defense.
Not much longer, I'm afraid. They're not the Heroes of Berlin, after all. :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ave atque vale

Reactions:
What a nice ending. :p
There were a number of grenades I could have used, but honestly there was never any doubt over which one I would select.

Bravo Pip a second finished AAR under your belt! I hope you feel justly proud of yourself.
I do actually. A bit over 8 years of intermittent work has gone into the adventures of T&T, so it was something of an emotional moment being able to finally type The End and hit Post.

It was a fitting end for the gang, at least the grenade will save everyone involved the bother of being in the dock at Nuremberg. T and T can at least say they gave it their best shot.
No-one wants a dragged out trial, better to get it over and done with quickly and (relatively) cleanly.

No doubt you will now be devoting yourself entirely to another project and I don't mean the Fjord based one!
Indeed - The King's First Minster. A CK2 tale of the first Lord Halifax trying to build a cathedral for his monarch while appeasing Vikings and taking the cowardly option on any event choice.
DYAEiOu.gif

Bolivian army ending.
Not an inspiration I had (consciously) thought of when planning and writing it, but yes it was wasn't it?

Great job ending this one in absolute style, Pip!
Thanks! I've been plotting bits of that scene for years, so I'm delighted to see it being well received. :)

I feel like I've just watched a unicorn die...
Mono no aware as the Japanese say. An awareness of the transience of all things heightens appreciation of their beauty.

I'll admit I am stretching the definition of 'transient' a bit here, we finished with a majestic 10.53 real-time to game-time days ratio, but I stand by the general argument.

I have loved this AAR for all the years I have followed it. What a masterclass in comedy writing! Thank you, @El Pip
Thank you for your sterling support and commentary over the years, I am glad you enjoyed the ride and that you stayed until the end. :)

I would have liked to see how long Berlin would hold out If the Heroes of Paris were leading the defense.
Not much longer, I'm afraid. They're not the Heroes of Berlin, after all. :p
As is often the case our resident hip-flask bearer @nuclearslurpee is correct. Jurech and his Parisian heroes would have failed miserably if asked to defend a different capital city, particularly against the might of the legendary General Pip. ;)

Arrrgh what am I going to look forward to now??? no more T&T ...
Other El Pip AARs will probably be available soon...

Ave atque vale
As always I appreciate both your readership and bringing some erudition and tone to the proceedings.
DYAEiOu.gif

Reactions:
Indeed - The King's First Minster. A CK2 tale of the first Lord Halifax trying to build a cathedral for his monarch while appeasing Vikings and taking the cowardly option on any event choice.
DYAEiOu.gif

You may have found your calling in a CKII aar where you play a single county island trying to build a cathedral. Start in 769 and see if you manage it by 1399.

Not an inspiration I had (consciously) thought of when planning and writing it, but yes it was wasn't it?

Depends if anyone survived, I guess.

I beaver away on something over the weekend, and look what happens: you actually finish an AAR! I’m sure Einstein would have something to say about the distortion of time, mumble mumble, opposite of speed of light, mumble.
General Pip showing his steely gaze and excellent hat
I have a nice black beret just like it, which I wore proudly for 23 years (though I did take it off occasionally during that time, when necessary). The best and most dashing headwear imaginable. The SAS one is only marginally less magnificent (but I’m biased). But they have to be made and worn properly. You see many that should attract the attention of lawyers in The Hague.
It can only be assumed the solitary British casualty was a staff officer laughing himself to death at the German Order of Battle.
Very likely. Last words: “Oh, I say, laughing too hard and causing the driver to crash the staff car. What dashed rotten luck. But worth it for the jape.” “Yes, too bad old chap. Wizard prang, though!” “Why thank you, dear Bertie. Tootle-Pip!” <expires with wry smile on face>
As does the AAR. Wizard story, old chap!

As always I appreciate both your readership and bringing some erudition and tone to the proceedings.
DYAEiOu.gif

Being a part of this community, and of your readership, has been and will remain an honor and a privilege.

Reactions:
Well, I suppose that all is well if it ends well and with a laugh...

• 1Like
Reactions:
A perfect ending: Malar leading the defence of Berlin against 'Pip' Roberts.

Looking forward to your next project, whatever it may be.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have a nice black beret just like it, which I wore proudly for 23 years (though I did take it off occasionally during that time, when necessary). The best and most dashing headwear imaginable. The SAS one is only marginally less magnificent (but I’m biased). But they have to be made and worn properly. You see many that should attract the attention of lawyers in The Hague.

Speaking as someone who also wore a black beret courtesy of a different army, I wore it with pride myself, but didn't think it should have been a thing. Relegate it to the Airborne, I say, and the Special Forces, and the Rangers.... and the "Security Forces Assistance Brigades," whatever those are. Granted, I've also seen our forces unable to wear ours properly, and you all have a far different method of wear than we do (easier, I daresay).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Speaking as someone who also wore a black beret courtesy of a different army, I wore it with pride myself, but didn't think it should have been a thing. Relegate it to the Airborne, I say, and the Special Forces, and the Rangers.... and the "Security Forces Assistance Brigades," whatever those are. Granted, I've also seen our forces unable to wear ours properly, and you all have a far different method of wear than we do (easier, I daresay).
It was excellent for tanks as it was compact, you could put your headset on over the top, use the sights properly and it would not get in the way in a closed space. Black too, so didn’t show the grease and grime to badly. Main problem in an Australian summer (would be similar say in Iraq) was the lack of sun protection for the face.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Commonwealth forces are good with berets. Pretty much everyone gets one, unless you guard the queen.

My god, it's over. It's really, finally over.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my life now.... Maybe I'll retire to some calming fjords....
I know! It was Inevitable, but that doesn’t make the ending any easier to process. :D

Reactions: