• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Preparations
Preparations

sG6cjrd.png

The birth of the new Konrad only brought together the family for so long. His grandmother, Empress Bojana, perished of cancer in 1326. Princess Barbara would take swiftly take up her mother’s place as Queen of Serbia. She left Palermo with 5000 Sicilian troops, but without her two year old son.

8wAYdCV.png

Having lost one Prince Konrad, the Emperor had adamantly refused to lose another. The toddler would remain in Palermo and be raised as the Emperor’s heir. Barbara would respond by wholeheartedly embracing Serbian culture, and the two sons born after her ascension to the throne would be raised with Serbian as their first language. The younger would even be baptised with the name Zoran, to the emperor’s disgust. Speculation abounded that she planned to pass over her distant eldest son with one of those raised in Serbia.

Despite her pronounced distaste for her father she relied on Sicilian levies in her wars to subjugate the increasingly hard-pressed King Arpad Nandor of Croatia, and to suppress a rebellion by her cousin Duke Dragutin II of Rashka, son of the deposed King Vukoman.

Chancellor Albano of Calabria sounded out the Emperor on the possibility of remarriage, but was soundly rebuffed. The Emperor was determined that Prince Konrad would join Serbia with Sicily, regardless of his mother’s machinations, and form a kingdom capable of dominating the Adriatic, challenging the Greek Emperor in the Balkans, and eclipsing the Papacy’s power in Italy.

7SCZeAD.png

Besides, the Emperor’s bed was satisfactorily warmed by his Hermetic apprentice, Barbara, and his family was growing in other ways. Hildegard, his second daughter- and the only one that did not loathe him- wed Nadbor Piast in 1327, and the third daughter, Brunhilde, was married to the gifted Heinrich Wettin in 1329. Both the grooms had signed away their names, content to see their children belong to the House of Hohenstaufen.

0BqB2lO.png
0XA7Y3v.png

Despite the familial strife with Barbara, the remainder of the 1320s passed peacefully. Both Trapani and Messina prospered with trade, a new city was raised up in Taranto, and the Emperor used gold squirrelled away from the Crusade to raise a standing army of 3500 horsemen. On a personal level, Konrad continued to carouse with his Chancellor Lord Albano, and they were occasionally joined by the Imperial Steward Hartwig of Tyrol and Provence. This collegial atmosphere was furthered when Duke Baldewin of Austria, a great favourite of the emperor, joined the court as Marshal following the death of Count Evrard of Salerno. Konrad’s only domestic opponent, the former emperor Vratislav, finally perished in prison, leaving the Premyslid dynasty in the hands of an uncertain teenager. Insolent Roubaud of Savoy also died of his ailments, though Konrad refused to move against his infant heir immediately, nursing greater plans.

GlLpx6Y.png

Finally, as if to emphasise Konrad’s status as the predominant ruler in Christendom when the Hanseans brought emissaries from the pagan High Chief Butvydas of Skalva. The Emperor’s son-in-law Nadbor interceded with his cousin King Borzywoj of Poland to arrange Butvydas safe passage into the Empire, where he would be baptised by the Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg as Konrad watched on. That Butvydas would be killed by a pagan rabble just two years after his conversion and his son driven out by a pagan pretender, in part because of the Emperor’s refusal to provide meaningful support, was immaterial, because Konrad had had his propaganda coup.

The festivities did, however, attract the adverse attention of that other predominant figure in the Christendom. Pope Ioannes had already proved a quarrelsome sort. King Alfons III of Aragon would die excommunicate, and Konrad’s nephews Duke Tiberios of Tunis and King Martin of Leon would labour under that sentence for several years. The Emperor’s popularity with the German clergy, dabbling in the mystic arts with the Hermetics, and his flat refusal to investigate the alleged heresy of his kinsman Duke Federico of Holland only further stoked the Pope’s hostility.

It was in this context that the Emperor called his intimates into his quarters, and announced his plans for the grand reconquest.

qiKiSsP.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Reactions:
The Grand Reconquest
The Grand Reconquest

‘’Italy has defied imperial rule for too long. I mean to complete the work of my ancestor Stupor Mundi, and make them bow before the Hohenstaufen once more…’’

‘’Italy, your grace?’’ Inquired Marshal Baldewin.

‘’Roubaud’s whelp in Savoy, the money-grubbing merchants in Genoa, burghers in Verona, Milan, all of it.’’

‘’The Pope?’’

‘’Aye, him too. That whoremonger has degraded his office, with his drinking and his bastards.’’

‘’Venaissin?’’ asked Steward Hartwig hopefully.

Konrad smirked. ‘’Benevento is a greater insult. You can recover Venaissin with your own men, cousin.’’

‘’What of the English in Modena and Ferrara?’’ This from Chancellor Albano.

‘’King Henry is said to be ailing.’’ Wolfram suggested, but the Emperor shook his head.

‘’That is not a chance I want to take. The English have 30 000 men, and few other commitments. Might as well take Franche-Comte, too.’’

Baldewin nodded in agreement, before moving on to strategy. ‘’And how are we to go about this?’’

‘’You will go north and rally the empire. The old stalwarts- Thurgau, Bavaria, Nordgau, Franconia, my Swabians- should prove willing. Young Heinrich can go to Thuringia, his uncle serves on the council of mad Duke Friedrich. The late Chancellor Diepold’s son rules in Moravia, and should prove accommodating, though the fidelity of his cousin in Bohemia will be tested. I will write to my sister-in-law Konstancie about the Lotharingians. Take young Cenek, too. See if he can convince the Savoyards to give in without a fight. I will lead the Sicilians north against the Pope. Ioannes is like to prove our deadliest adversary.’’

Hartwig’s brow furrowed. ‘’You mean to lead the troops personally?’’

The other three exchanged nervous looks, but Konrad just rolled his eyes. ‘’I thought we put this behind us against the French. I will have no more of your mothering, cousin. Besides, I march at the heart of three-thousand retinues, what is the worst that can happen?’’

Hartwig conceded, though not without consternation. ‘’Of course, your grace.’’

‘’Albano, put the call out for any soldiers of fortune, too. Michele did me good service, before his passing.’’

‘’Aye, your grace.’’

***​

Pope Ioannes tried to convince the assorted enemies of the Hohenstaufen to pool their resources into a Common League, as they had in the time of Stupor Mundi, but was without success. Old grievances died hard, and there were many to be had amongst the princes of northern Italy.

Milan had warred often to exert suzerainty over the burghers of Verona. Franche-Comte had fought hard against Roubaud of Savoy, and had little love for his infant son Jaufre. So it was that the empire was raised, and poured forth over the Alps.

0ANsIec.png
6zO8c7p.png

Duke Guido and Doge Armando.

Milan and Verona had little hope of matching them. Duke Guido was no great warrior, and Doge Armando was loathed by his subjects.

Young Cenek de Savoie won his spurs in these early battles, as did the emperor’s son-in-law Heinrich Wettin, fighting alongside recently recruited commanders such as the Catalan Guerau d’Empuries and the Italian Roberto di Nore.

It was Pope Ioannes himself who prove the most trouble. 15 000 men immediately sallied south, through Capua, and only to be put to flight by the Emperor in Amalfi. This proved a feint, however, allowing Ioannes to land his mercenaries in Sicily to assault Palermo.

h0DWtX6.png

Konrad engages the Papal troops in Amalfi, whilst Ioannes prepares to ship his mercenaries to Palermo.

Konrad dashed south to confront them, infused with youthful vigour. He had started his martial career with a victory at Palermo some thirty years earlier, and meant to repeat the achievement.

***​

The battle had ebbed and flowed. The Imperials held some negligible advantage in numbers, but it counted for little against the skilful defences of the Papal mercenaries. Alboino, commander of the Papal Guard, had almost four decades experience in the infinite petty wars of Italy.

Each attack had been fended off, Alboino moving his reserves from place to place, blunting the Imperial charges. Konrad saw his troops flagging. It had been a warm day, and their movements grew ever more sluggish. Hartwig or Wolfram would have advised a withdrawal- troops could shipped south from the Empire, or hired by the bountiful treasury, enough to provide a decisive numerical advantage- but Hartwig and Wolfram weren’t present.

The Emperor opted to charge, a deadly strike with his knightly retinue. It went well. Two thousand hooves thundered into the Papal right, crumpling Ioannes’ men underneath them. Their riders swatted at the heads of those who turned to run.

The imperial infantry gave a great cheer and recommitted themselves with renewed enthusiasm, grinding the Papal lines backward. And then…

A spear, hurled in desperation, caught the Emperor’s horse. It reared in dismay, then keeled over onto its side. Konrad cursed as he thudded into the Earth, and tried desperately to extricate his left leg from underneath the animal. It thrashed wildly, kicking up dust. Its agitation not helped by the Emperor trying to kick his way free.

He felt the prosthetic straining as he dragged from underneath the writhing beast, but eventually it emerged, tangled hopelessly in its stirrup. The contraption had not been built for finesse, and Konrad opted to hack the stirrup away rather than trying to gingerly remove his inflexible, artificial foot.

Men were upon him as he rose. Konrad was still choking on the dirt kicked up by his infernal horse, and could scarcely see. One was dispatched by a backhand that sent him stumbling into the Emperor’s horse, flailing with a last great, hopeless, burst of energy as its life gurgled away. A second was clumsily parried by Konrad’s crusader sword, and run down from behind by one of the emperor’s retinue.

A third, fully armoured, crashed into the emperor from the right. Konrad held his footing, though his left leg groaned alarmingly upon impact. The two men grappled, the attacker trying to find an opening for his knife whilst Konrad, his sword useless at such a distance, was reduced to jabbing at his opponent with the crossguard.

A glimpse through the visor revealed the other man’s eyes. They were those of a younger, fitter man. Konrad’s own eyes flittered about in search of support, but the battle had been reduced to a roiling mass, with friend and foe barely distinguishable. Any cry for help was likely to be drowned out by the din of a thousand blades meeting.

Their arms were tangled together, so the attacker kicked. Konrad saw the blow before it landed, but there was little he could do, with the Papal soldier still upon him. It connected, and the emperor felt his left leg give way beneath him- the straps of his prosthetic unwilling to endure anymore punishment. He managed to pivot forward, hoping to collapse atop the other man, but the attacker managed to wrench himself free, and grunted with satisfaction.

Konrad landed face first, and copped more dirt in his face. He scrambled around, and tried to wrench himself upright with his sword, but the other man was faster. The sword was whacked out of his hands, and he tumbled back onto his knees. The sun was in his eyes, now, but if he squinted he could see that his opponent now hefted an ax. All Konrad could do was raise his hands as the blade swung down…

Notes

Apologies from the lack of screenshots. Imgur was being uncooperative. Edit: Inserted a couple.

Hopefully that attempt to write an action scene wasn't too terrible.

Very busy over the next fortnight. Look to early May for the next update.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Besides, I march at the heart of three-thousand retinues, what is the worst that can happen?’’
Top 10 Things Said Before Disaster.

Reactions:
Now that is a cliffhanger worthy of an old-time crafty of tales here by the name of @Storey

Reactions:
I check out for two weeks and you renovate the place.

Still pretty busy. Probably update Tuesday/Wednesday.

Top 10 Things Said Before Disaster.

He was tempting fate a little there. Let no one say the Hohenstaufens aren't arrogant.

Now that is a cliffhanger worthy of an old-time crafty of tales here by the name of @Storey

Thanks.

Nobody. Not a single soul.

The Houenstaufens: TIME TO RECONQUER ITALY!!!!

It's RIGHTFUL IMPERIAL LAND!!! They have no choice.

Pride always comes before a fall...

Remains to be seen how severe the fall is, though.

Reactions:
Aftermath
Aftermath

URYx5rp.png

His eyes gradually eased open. Above him, the ceiling of his bedroom in Palermo gradually composed itself. He felt faint, empty, every movement requiring the greatest exertion.

A chair creaked beside him, and the vague outline of a servant fluttered out of the room. The Emperor tried to turn, but found his right arm in a sling. It did not seem whole. The slightest pressure produced an excruciating ache.

Konrad closed his eyes for a brief further respite, but several feet soon shuffled into the room.

‘’You said he was awake?’’ Steward Hartwig, Lord of Tyrol, spoke with annoyance.

‘’He was. His eyes opened. He moved.’’ A meek voice replied.

‘’Our time is not to be wasted, boy. We have much business to attend to whilst the Emperor is indisposed.’’

Chancellor Albano, Lord of Calabria, scoffed. ‘’Leave the boy alone, Hartwig. The healer woman said he’d come in and out of consciousness.’’

NIy3NHI.png

Konrad's unorthodox physician.

They were attempting to whisper, but they were already giving Konrad a headache. ‘’I concur with Albano, cousin.’’ The Emperor pulled himself up, and waved the boy off.

Hartwig’s demeanour changed instantly, the haughtiness dropping away. ‘’Your grace, how do you feel?’’

‘’Never mind that. What happened? What business have you been attending to in my absence?’’

Albano suppressed a smirk as Hartwig sunk further into servility. ‘’The wars, your grace. Northern Italy has folded swiftly to your son-in-law Heinrich and my brother Baldwin. The Savoyards tossed little Jaufre out a window. Cenek has been installed in his place with the backing of imperial arms, and pledges fealty. Guido of Milan, Armando of Verona, and Arnoul of Franche-Comte are flagging.’’

tuensYU.png

‘’And our friend the Pope?’’

2iwXKfu.png

‘’Put to flight. Pursued across the strait of Messina.’’

‘’Though not without loss.’’ Added Albano. He was smirking again, luxuriating in Hartwig’s decision to take the lead in briefing the Emperor.

Hartwig’s eyes flickered back and forth nervously. ‘’Perhaps we could summon your doctor-woman, to explain the nature of your injuries?’’

‘’I already have my suspicions, cousin.’’ He gestured to the sling. ‘’There’s no sensation in my hand, and a dull ache at the wrist.’’

The Lord of Tyrol averted his gaze again. ‘’It was not severed fully, your grace. But there was no hope of it being reattached, so amputation was the only option.’’ He hastily added. ‘’It was Ute’s decision, your grace.’’

iOC7gAm.png

‘’I trust her judgement.’’ Konrad responded placidly.

‘’You’re not upset, your grace?’’

‘’It is nothing I have not suffered before. I will recover, in time- so long as I have you attending to my affairs in the meantime?’’

‘’Of course, your grace. May I return to such business now?’’

His eyes pleaded, and he sighed with relief when Konrad allowed him to absent himself.

Albano chuckled. ‘’Must you take such joy in needling him?’’

Konrad shrugged. ‘’He enjoys needling the servants. There is justice in it. You seem to find it amusing.’’

‘’Only because it means you’re not harassing me, your grace.’’ Albano teased.

‘’Might not be much good for harassing, now that I’m such a poor excuse for a man.’’ Konrad replied, with mock depression.

Albano took the Emperor’s self-deprecation in stride. ‘’It’s not so bad. You learned to manage with the foot, I’m sure this’ll be the same.’’

‘’I’ve found hands to be of generally greater utility than feet, all things considered.’’

‘’Well, my gout’s been acting up, so if you want to wallow in indolence and self-pity, I can offer you some distinguished company.’’

Konrad laughed. ''A couple of cripples, drinking away their last years?''

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
at least he survived.... how many years do we need hime alive to see his grandson with any chances of being elected?

Reactions:
Well, a one-handed Conrad is still a force to reckoned to sure :)

Reactions:
This is the first AAR I've ever managed to read in full. Very engaging stuff. Very wrapped up in the story you have going here. And every time you say you doubt your skill in writing this or that thing, I must say I'm surprised. Particularly when you said you weren't confident writing dialogue, as really your dialogue has been incredible this whole time. Looking forward to the next update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, a possessed healer, I see no problems here.

She's got Jesus whispering in her ear, nothing to worry about.

I'm surprised Albano gets away with that.

They're friends and drinking buddies, that buys some informality- especially behind closed doors.

at least he survived.... how many years do we need hime alive to see his grandson with any chances of being elected?

Still a decade away from his majority, unfortunately.

Well, a one-handed Conrad is still a force to reckoned to sure :)

Force of personality, perhaps.

This is the first AAR I've ever managed to read in full. Very engaging stuff. Very wrapped up in the story you have going here. And every time you say you doubt your skill in writing this or that thing, I must say I'm surprised. Particularly when you said you weren't confident writing dialogue, as really your dialogue has been incredible this whole time. Looking forward to the next update.

Thank you for the very kind words.

Glad to have you onboard. :).

Reactions:
Reconstructing Italy
Reconstructing Italy

The Emperor did not remain bedridden for long. As the Papacy was ground down before his armies, thrice defeated in Benevento, Konrad yearned to confront his foe in person.

The imperial entourage took ship to Capua, the sea lanes having been rendered safe by the capitulation of Genoa. Their defeat had cost the life of the emperor’s promising young son-in-law Heinrich Wettin, but this loss did not lay heavily on him.

Konrad the Younger had turned six and begun his martial education and his sister had wed Duke Tryphon von Hohenstaufen of Holland, whilst their mother Barbara had birthed two further sons after her relocation to Serbia. The emperor’s second daughter, Hildegard, had also been blessed with a son in 1331, named Friedrich for the emperor’s brother. Widowed Brunhilde, Konrads’ youngest daughter, thus no longer had to figure prominently in the emperor’s succession plans.

6OJEcEC.png

Konrad the Younger is especially important, because neither Gottschalk or Zoran are proper Hohenstaufen names.

From Capua the party progressed north to join the imperial armies outside Rome, with Konrad being conveyed via palanquin and closely attended upon by his healer the lady Ute. A camp city swiftly sprung up, and was filled by others who journeyed to join the imperial entourage.

Guido of Milan, Cenek of Savoy-Susa, Giacomo of Genoa, and Armando of Verona had progressed south to pledge their fealty, as did Ancel of Franche-Comte- appointed to that post after the deposition of his predecessor Arnoul by imperial arms. Cenek would be retained as a commander, given his skill. Ute of Benevento, whose lands constituted the dispute, had also joined the imperial camp.

Cardinal Gautselin ‘the Wise’, Archbishop of Ferrara, also slipped out of Rome to join Konrad- earning him the thorough contempt of the Pope. Gautselin, a German appointed in his youth by Pope Stephanus, had won many plaudits for his work on the Papal Council, felt the situation in Rome too volatile.

‘’Ioannes has grown erratic. He feuds incessantly with the Barons of Tivoli, advocating his bastard Albert’s claim to the title. The Roman mob grows nasty.’’

lw11dR9.png

The Pope's bastard Albert Pepoli. Ioannes' attempts to elevate him to his grandfather's barony was a cause of much discord amongst the Papal vassals.

‘’And his health?’’ inquired Konrad.

MxnFc2d.png

‘’He drinks incessantly, and sleeps overmuch.’’

‘’So, we may face another election in the near future?’’

Gautselin demurred. ‘’To speculate about such things is unseemly.’’

So is abandoning your liege to join his besiegers, dear Gautselin. ‘’Nevertheless, it would not do to be caught off guard.’’

‘’Very well. It seems likely.’’

‘’And how are the Cardinals disposed?’’

‘’The balance are distant, in the Kingdom of your sister. Their opinions are hard to tell.’’

75k4Ecf.png

I don't know why Egyptians dominate the College, though.

Konrad pursed his lips. ‘’We are not close, but I'm sure my sister and I can reach some accommodation on the matter.’’

‘’That might elicit protest, your grace.’’ Interjected Chancellor Albano. ‘’Whispers of the Hohenstaufen colluding to pervert the Papal election.’’

‘’Then, should we prove successful with my sister’s bishops, we will need something to prove our piety. Any suggestions, Cardinal Gautselin?’’

‘’There have been suggestions of a new crusade.’’

‘’Where? Jerusalem is secure under my sister. The Aragonese dominate North Africa. The Bunduqarids?’’

‘’Already assailed by the Mongols to their east. Rum are the only remaining Muslim power.’’ Mused Albano.

‘’Aye, Anatolia was the proffered suggestion.’’ Confirmed Gautselin.

Albano hesitated. ‘’The Greeks won’t like it.’’

YbyX7yb.png

The ailing Byzantines, and the Anatolian Sultanate of Rum.

Konrad waved this off. ‘’Basileus Michael is despised and broke. Barbara has written of the lawlessness to her south- he wars with his cousin and nephew. They cannot protest. Anatolia will be a fine place to demonstrate my piety, once the Papacy has returned to more reasonable hands.’’

Albano nodded. ‘’But in the meantime, your grace, we must bring an end to our hostilities with Ioannes.’’

***​

They met in a tent, sent up halfway between the siege lines and the city.

Ioannes was in a poor state. Sunken, bloodshot eyes, and sluggish movement. ‘’You win, Konrad. You may have your accursed Benevento.’’ He gesticulated vaguely in the direction of Duchess Ute, who stood awkwardly to the side of proceedings.

Konrad nodded to his Chancellor, and Albano stepped forward to speak. ‘’That will not be sufficient, your Holiness. Further concessions are required to return us to a state of amity.’’

The Pope grinned wickedly. ‘’Vengeance for the hand, I suppose. What will you have me do?’’

‘’Your holiness will reconsider the excommunication of the emperor’s nephew Lord Tiberios in Tunis, permit Cardinal Gautselin to return to his diocese in Ravenna, and acquiesce when the emperor reassumes the title King of Italy, rightfully held by his ancestors.’’ Konrad cared not for his nephew, but relished the opportunity to make demands of the Pope.

pugPyub.png

Ioannes could not resist.

Traditionally, the Pope would call upon the other monarchs of Christendom to defend him against imperial tyranny, but his wanton use of excommunication had alienated them- Alan of England, Henri II of France, and Martin of Leon were presently excommunicated. Martin was the emperor’s nephew besides, as was Oveco of Castille.

The rest of Christendom was busy- Sunyer of Aragon was only a boy, and preoccupied with his status as the last living male member of the House of Barcelona. Henri of France was involved in a mortal struggle with his half-brother Duke Ogier of Toulouse-Poitou. Tord II of Norway faced a faction in favour of his uncle Ogmund. Arpad Levente of Hungary was involved in some foolhardy escapade against the Turks, and Borzywoj expended all his energies criss-crossing the Baltic in an attempt to hold together his disparate realms of Poland and Sweden.

AgA2fdy.png

Konrad was crowned King of Italy, acclaimed by his newly-won vassals. Ioannes wasted away with his drink. Gautselin would assume the name Martinus upon his ascension a few years thereafter.

• 1Love
Reactions:
It seems the Papacy has learned it is they who have to keep the Empire happy rather than the other way round... and yes, another Crusade seems likely, it could at least help to restore the Pope's standing in Europe.

Reactions: