• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 12th of May 2020

Good afternoon! I’m back again with another content-driven dev diary. Today we’ll be taking a look at two of the new mission trees coming with the Emperor expansion: Germany and Lübeck.

dd_ger_1.png

The German mission tree takes a lot of inspiration, as you might expect, from Imperial Germany and the accomplishments of Bismarck. Although very much outside of the period, we felt that it was an appropriate way to go given the ahistorical nature of a united Germany within our timeframe.

The conquest branch of the mission tree begins with Blood and Iron, which requires you to own at least 50 provinces across the North Germany or South Germany regions, essentially completing your early German unification. This mission rewards perhaps the most extensive set of permanent claims of any single mission in the game: the Low Countries, Italy, France, and Poland will all simultaneously become your next targets. This is pretty extreme for a single mission, but given the requirements not only of the mission but also of forming Germany in the first place, the player is likely already in a very dominant position by the time that they unlock this mission tree. Completing the Annex Poland mission gives even further permanent claims, this time on the Baltic, Scandinavia, and Carpathia regions.

Next we have an economic branch of the mission tree. You are charged with building manufactories to Industrialize the Rhineland, permanently improving local goods produced in applicable provinces by 15%. You must also Promote Urbanization by reaching at least 30 development in 10 German provinces, and achieve Protected Markets by reaching 75% trade share in all German trade nodes. Completing these missions unlocks the Dominant Economy mission, which requires you to have the highest income of any European nation as well as 10,000 ducats with no loans.

Next up, Germany has a branch of its mission tree dedicated to overseas expansion, beginning of course with the construction of an Imperial Navy. After building 30 heavy ships, you must Burn the Wooden Wall by ensuring that no British country has more than 5 heavy ships. Achieving this will grant you +10% naval morale for the rest of the game, as well as a permanent claim on London. Scramble for Africa and Overseas Empire see you building an empire in Africa and Asia respectively.

Germany and the Holy Roman Empire share a large portion of their missions trees, but each of them have a unique branch available only to them. The German unique branch focuses on state-building, for instance hiring skilled advisors, gaining Crown Land, constructing universities, and gaining absolutism.

dd_ger_2.png

This is the Holy Roman Empire’s unique branch of the mission tree. It has been said that the HRE was neither Holy, Roman, nor an empire, but you have the chance to change that. You must become Defender of the Faith (giving you an opportunity to launch a final crusade for Jerusalem), become Papal Controller (if Catholic), and finally centralize the disparate states of Germany into a single nation. Completing the Roman Resolution mission as a Catholic nation fires the following event, representing victory of the Emperor in the dispute between Church and Emperor:

dd_ger_3.png

Hi I’m @Alfray Stryke , a new addition on the EUIV team. Currently working as QA, although I have assisted with the design and implementation of Lübeck’s mission tree in the Emperor DLC.

image (12).png

The four paths for their missions are:
  • End the Sound Toll, By forcing or convincing Denmark to end the toll and increasing your trade in the Lübeck trade node, you continue to increase your trade in the Baltic. This leads to gaining claims on the Jutland peninsula and then Norway (subjugation if Norway is independent, permanent claims if they are not).
  • Ties with England requires either strengthening relations with England or Lübeckian merchants or privateers having at least 25% of the trade power in the English Channel. Completing this will strengthen Lübeckian traders in the British Isles, granting claims in order to form trading cities in London, Edinburgh and Ayr. Setting up trade cities in Edinburgh and Ayr will lead to dominating the North Sea trade and recruiting an explorer to settle Newfoundland (giving a Center of Trade there) and founding the American colony of Neulübeck.
    • The London Steelyard was historically the main trading base of the Hanseatic League during the 15th and 16th centuries, thus either owning London directly or indirectly via a member of your trade league will grant you a substantial boost to trade.
  • Defend the City, although Lübeck starts as a relatively wealthy but militarily lacking nation, their first goal should be to ensure they have a standing army capable of holding their own against any neighbours inside the HRE. Complete this via your own soldier or recruiting mercenary companies and you will gain claims on the rest of the Mecklenburg area. After building up your own strength, it is time to return the cities of Visby and Novgorod to the Hanseatic League by either owning them directly or indirectly.
  • The Merchant Navy, by building up your merchant navy and increasing your coffers, you are then led to formalising bookkeeping and building the Lübeck Krantor (replacing the old decision). After increasing your ship building industry, commissioning the Adler von Lübeck (for owners of Golden Century, the decision now requires a flagship), and asserting naval dominance over the North and Baltic Seas Lübeck can be declared the Queen of the Hanseatic League. This rewards you with increased diplomatic reputation and decreased advisor cost.

The culmination of their mission tree after increasing the reach of the Hanseatic League is to unite the league into a solidified political entity - making any members of the trade league that own historically important trade cities into vassals, with a boost to their diplomatic relations in order to compensate for this. Then using the same system for the Kingdom of God and the Caliphate renaming you are rightfully termed the Hanseatic League!

image (11).png

image (10).png

And that’s all for today! Join us next week for the last in our series of content-focused dev diaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 60Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Thanks for this dev diary, I have a question, are you going to change the mission "restore the pentarchy" that Byzantium has? If the pope can convert Orthodox to catholic, could the Byzantines do the opposite ?? Thanks

• 10Like
Reactions:
I'm enjoying the flexibility renaming a tag is giving you so you don't have to worry about building a new tag from scratch all the time. Feels like a solid compromise.

• 16Like
Reactions:
If the mission tree is about the German Empire, then the black white red flag would be more accurate for the tag. It also looks better imo.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
Its very interesting. I'll for sure play those countries.
My question though, can other historical port from the Hanseatic league have the mission to form it?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Good afternoon! I’m back again with another content-driven dev diary. Today we’ll be taking a look at two of the new mission trees coming with the Emperor expansion: Germany and Lübeck.

SyyaXNVxJH2I14KYuPaiA6dJikb7ug_Mn2tXfwvsLwZxpoaUhOmrUp_L8ITJjhr12YXLDpvub_kclQVzD7ViGFuGkb9nEGFmT8QZ3IAwQm0HGNdR4dknK2XfsDbwQ_ZT02tJXFvz

The German mission tree takes a lot of inspiration, as you might expect, from Imperial Germany and the accomplishments of Bismarck. Although very much outside of the period, we felt that it was an appropriate way to go given the ahistorical nature of a united Germany within our timeframe.

So considering you are okay with an early Germany.

What about an Early Belgium.

I've set up a suggestion in the suggestion forums where people went in deep discussion about it, but now that Germany is even more focussed on the later unified german state under Bismarck it seems to give some reasoning for a Tag for Belgium.

• 9Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I like.

What are the goals and rewards of the Germany-specific part of the German tree? (I understand that would be Establish the Chancellorship and subsequent missions)

Reactions:
So considering you are okay with an early Germany.

What about an Early Belgium.

I've set up a suggestion in the suggestion forums where people went in deep discussion about it, but now that Germany is even more focussed on the later unified german state under Bismarck it seems to give some reasoning for a Tag for Belgium.

Tbh I'd love to see some kind of rare Belgium if certain conditions are met, like most Flemish and Walloon Dutch provinces being a different religion than the Netherlands/Holland or whatever and them having low tolerance and stability.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Great to see The Hansa return.

Join us next week for the last in our series of content-focused dev diaries.

Are national ideas considered part of content and/or will some new ones be shown next week?

Reactions: