• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings to the void-dwellers and planet-bound alike!

This week we’ll be talking about some changes we’re planning on making to the engineering marvels that are Orbital Habitats. These are currently slated for the May update that grekulf mentioned two weeks ago.

Introduced in Utopia, Orbital Habitats provide a way to continue some form of limited expansion after colonizing all of the habitable planets within your empire. In the 2.3 “Wolfe” update, we added some specialized districts to them based on the celestial body they orbited, opening up the possibility for things like building dedicated astro-mining facilities, and recently in Federations, we added a Void Dwellers origin which let you start your empire among the stars in three habitats.

This May, we’ll be introducing multiple tiers of habitats. These will be accessible to anyone with the Utopia expansion or using the Void Dwellers origin from Federations.

The first tier of Orbital Habitats now comes a bit earlier in the tech tree and require fewer alloys to build. The basic Orbital Habitat is smaller than the old version, starting with 4 district slots. They also have a simpler appearance than the ones currently in the game, a core of a station to build upon later.

upload_2020-4-9_9-16-6.png

Fungoid Orbital Habitat

The Habitat Expansion engineering technology is placed around where the Habitat technology used to be in the tech tree, and will allow you to upgrade an Orbital Habitat that has filled all of its districts to an Advanced Habitat using a planetary decision that costs some time and alloys.

upload_2020-4-9_9-13-8.png

Upgrading to an Advanced Habitat provides 2 additional district slots and allows basic housing buildings to be built even for normal empires.

The Advanced Habitat upgrade adds a ring of modules around the central core.

upload_2020-4-9_9-13-24.png

Avian Advanced Habitat

A third technology permits upgrading a fully developed Advanced Habitat that has a Habitat Central Control into a Habitat World.

upload_2020-4-9_9-13-51.png

Habitat Worlds have 8 districts, shown as another ring of modules around the habitat.

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-4.png

Humanoid Habitat World

The Voidborne Ascension Perk has undergone a few changes as well.

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-21.png

The perk now gives each of your habitats 2 additional building slots and automatically grants access to the Habitat upgrade technologies. Regular empires with the perk can also build advanced housing buildings on their Advanced Habitats and Habitat Worlds instead of being limited to only basic structures.

Void Dwellers will automatically start with the Habitat Expansion tech option available for them to research, and their primary habitat will begin as an Advanced Habitat while the other two will begin as somewhat cramped regular Orbital Habitats. In our internal playtests, we’ve found that Voidborne is exceptionally valuable for them to pick up early for the extra building slots, and the reduced alloy cost of building new habitats should relieve some of the additional pressure caused by the smaller starting size of their secondary habitats.

During this pass we’ve taken care of a handful of other habitat related issues, such as those built above nanite deposits now retain the nanite production, and habitats built above Zro, Dark Matter, Living Metal, or Nanite deposits are now treated as research habitats. As a quality of life improvement, you no longer need to remove orbital mining or research stations to build a habitat, the construction process will automatically disassemble them upon habitat completion.

Here are the full tiers of a few of the habitat types:

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-44.png

Humanoid Habitats

upload_2020-4-9_9-14-55.png

Plantoid Habitats

upload_2020-4-9_9-15-8.png

Lithoid Habitats

---

Next week we’ll have another sneak peek at the May update, see you then!

Could habitats get the modifiers from the planet they orbit? So if you build them above a planet with the"high/poor mineral quality" modifier it increases/decreases mineral output on the habitat. There are several modifiers that can only spawn on uninhabitable world's, they even have effects,but you are unable to colonize them. If the habitat would get the effect these modifiers would get a use and become more important.

I like that housing building are once again allowed on habitats. This will definitely help stacking some habitats to the brim with POP's as a void dweller. Too bad that there's no way to get extra districts though.

One thing I don't like when playing as a void dweller is that it is that a lot of traditions feel more or less wasted. The finisher of Expansion, The upgraded capital one from Domination, and the extra city district clerk and city district housing one from Prosperity. It would be nice if the Voidborne origin would give different traditions instead of those ones so it doesn't feel like a complete waste of traditions. A bonus actually useful for Voiddwellers might make it even possible to not colonize any planets at all when playing with that origin. That doesn't have to be optimal, but it would be nice for RP if were possible.

I like that housing building are once again allowed on habitats. This will definitely help stacking some habitats to the brim with POP's as a void dweller. Too bad that there's no way to get extra districts though.

One thing I don't like when playing as a void dweller is that it is that a lot of traditions feel more or less wasted. The finisher of Expansion, The upgraded capital one from Domination, and the extra city district clerk and city district housing one from Prosperity. It would be nice if the Voidborne origin would give different traditions instead of those ones so it doesn't feel like a complete waste of traditions. A bonus actually useful for Voiddwellers might make it even possible to not colonize any planets at all when playing with that origin. That doesn't have to be optimal, but it would be nice for RP if were possible.

While i completely agree with you this seems to be more like a bug or a "oh sh*t, we forget that" thing. Or the Devs hadnt thought that players will be completely going on habitats with this origin.

While i completely agree with you this seems to be more like a bug or a "oh sh*t, we forget that" thing. Or the Devs hadnt thought that players will be completely going on habitats with this origin.

I thought it was a balance issue, but given how much it costs to make a habitat and your pops gain a new negative trait if they try to settle a planet, it seemed like "balancing" went in the wrong direction entirely...

I thought it was a balance issue, but given how much it costs to make a habitat and your pops gain a new negative trait if they try to settle a planet, it seemed like "balancing" went in the wrong direction entirely...
It's still super-easy to get a migration treaty with an alien empire and use their pops on planets. So unless you are really roleplaying "only habitats and nothing else", no tradition will be wasted.

This is definatinatly a great change that will make void born a lore more fun to play. something that i feel still needs addressing though is that many tradditions do not do anything as void born it would be nice for them to have a diffrent effect for void born races even if they are weaker then the standard would be on planets having soemthing is better the the current less then nothing.

The perk now gives each of your habitats 2 additional building slots and automatically grants access to the Habitat upgrade technologies. Regular empires with the perk can also build advanced housing buildings on their Advanced Habitats and Habitat Worlds instead of being limited to only basic structures.

Great changes! This feels a lot more thematically appropriate. It always seemed weird that the perk magically increased the size of a habitat by 33% without an accompanying alloy cost for all the extra room. Also the fact that they have access to building slots sooner makes sense as they would learn to be very efficient with space in a structure like that. Having played Void Dweller I agree that early on building slots are at a premium with all the hydroponic farms and additional foundries.

All in all I like the changes and love the new artwork it looks great!

As a quality of life improvement, you no longer need to remove orbital mining or research stations to build a habitat, the construction process will automatically disassemble them upon habitat completion.
I'd prefer 'upgrade' button on stations, but I also think constructor ships are unnecessary micro...

Would also be nice to be able to build habitats around moons, especially habitable ones or the ones with deposits.

One note of concern though, currently pop growth is the key variable in getting stronger, and the best way to get more pops is to colonize more planets. With earlier and better habitats will the meta now be to spam as many habitats as possible to grow pops until the micromanagement makes you give up, or are there downsides preventing you from just churning them out?

This is a good reason to keep the influence cost at 200 for the basic habitat, and make the upgrades influence free.

Personally I think ring works are vastly different then habitats, living in a Ring world would be closer to living on a planet then a habitat. Personally I think void dwellers not liking planets is good. If you want to colonize planets then get another species and do it ot dont give void dwellers lol.

The best way to use the few planets you might run into as a void dweller is to make them ecumenopolises.

It still gives +2 districts to habitats. You can't upgrade to tier 3 habitats without the voidborn ascension perk.

So you can end up with 10 district habitats now, pluss easier housing management? Love it. Will strengthen tall play alot with taller habitats. 2 extra mining, generator or research districts to exploit means alot.

Last edited:
The perk no longer gives 2 districts it gives 2 free building slots.

OK, thanks.

Some posts in this thread confused me on this then. Then I agree the perk has become kind of useless compared to what it used to be, but habitats are better then ever since I can get 8 districts without the perk (but perhaps with abit increased total investment to get there - alloys and time) and easier provide housing for my habitats. Freeing up a perk for something else (I always go for voidborne) is an extra nice bonus.

NB/Edit: Considering you can build housing buildings on your habitats now (if you have this perk) 2 extra building spots arent totally useless by the way. Might end up pretty good actually - allowing for exploitation of more of your special districts in the first place and making massive populations on habitats possible compared to what we are used to now. I might still choose this perk it seems. ;)

Edit 2: But do you really need the perk to get access to the housing buildings on you habitats? The Dev diary says this: Upgrading to an Advanced Habitat provides 2 additional district slots and allows basic housing buildings to be built even for normal empires (I guess luxory homes but not the upgraded housing building).

Edit 3: Housing buildings also give Amenities and those are scarce on habitats today. :)

Last edited:
Freeing up a perk for something else (I always go for voidborne) is an extra nice bonus.

I always did to, and I wouldn't say it's useless it's just for Void Dwellers now. Comparing it to the other tier 0 perks, its still the best one if you are a Void Dweller as they need the build slots with all the additional foundries and food taking up build slots.

Thank you, these are awesome changes. But the biggest thing I want to see is techs and traditions that increase City districts also affect Habitation districts. I think it's okay for the numbers to remain as they are, but there is no good reason for Prosperity traditions to be totally worthless for Void Dweller empires.

If you don't want to simply make the techs and traditions affect City districts and Habitation districts in the same way for balance reasons (though I prefer this solution for the sake of clarity and simplicity), make them have some alternate effect for Habitation districts that applies to all empires. For example, Public Works Division in prosperty could make Habitation districts cost half sprawl, and Interstellar Franchising could make them free of upkeep. Tech upgrades might cause them to produce food passively.

Just something to make Void Dweller empires feel like these districts aren't horribly undersupported.

Last edited:
Well, void dwelleres are the strongest origin already, and it makes sense habitats have a few issues more then planets with the housing. Not all traditions need to be super usefull for all playstyles - it's like that for alot of playstyles - and yes; Void Dwellers can actually colonize planets and make good use of them too.

Well, void dwelleres are the strongest origin already, and it makes sense habitats have a few issues more then planets with the housing. Not all traditions need to be super usefull for all playstyles - it's like that for alot of playstyles - and yes; Void Dwellers can actually colonize planets and make good use of them too.
Seriously? Stronger than scion or shattered ring?