[Dev Team] 2.6.3 Beta Patch Released [checksum ae56]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the developers would greatly benefit from a monthly player vs player tournament of some sorts set up officially by Paradox to obtain a better scope of the balance and state of the game after reading the balance changes.

Steam charts show 64k daily players, and there are only (maybe?) 20 people or so that are loud about the state of synths on this forum, not a proper representation of the community or state of the game in comparison. The numbers that I have seen posted as supportive arguments to the state of synths have not impressed me and simply are not competitive by any standards, unfortunately this is all Paradox gets to read as a guideline when taking things into consideration from the community as the competitive players typically spend more time playing than writing an essay on the forum (like I'm doing right now :p). I say put the pedal to the metal and let the players settle it out on the battlefield to determine the state of the game and true balance :) Sounds like a good time to me and competitive scenes put games in the spotlight on social media so good advertisement.

Looking at the notes I was confused at what was trying to be accomplished, as a competitive 4-8 multi-player gamer for Stellaris I noticed they buffed synths by making their robot production more efficient mineral to mineral using 2 minerals less overall per job encouraging you to overload your alloy production even further. To some it seems like a nerf, but when you are competitive and need to be as efficient as possible stacking multipliers is huge and late game this could mean an entire ecumonopolis being supplied by the extra minerals you now have freed up to not only replace the alloy used in robot production, but also support an even larger fleet acting as a force multiplier. Some food for thought, as bio empires tend to never have trouble with alloy early anyways since their colony ships/outposts are cheaper and the alloy building should be your first constructed building by default. So synth efficiency was buffed in this first example.

In the second case they nerfed The Flesh is Weak, so a nerf following a buff? Interesting indeed as to if this was to offset the first buff, or a double nerf was intended? The only reason I wanted to bring this part up is that it was kindof pointless with how the game is right now. Synths are getting their shorts handed to them across the world competitively and it just kicked them further down the line, when the most obvious solution to the population growth issue is to simply allow bio empires to use their cloning vats the same way machine/synth empires do and make it closer in strength. I know I have seen the community ask for it many times, and while I disagree with some other points made that have less experience this IS the correct answer to the elephant in the room universally agreed upon. Instead of boosting moral and buffing bio pop growth, we got nerfs, which always results in saddened players while the ones complaining about robot growth are still not satisfied. No one won.

To show what it looks like to be having a close game going badly for you in multiplayer to any developer who somehow made it this far through this essay, the first pic is an example of a 2.6.2 game as a hive mind who just ate the shorts off of a synth player federation 2v1 against me. I lost half my fleet sure, but these were very coordinated players who should have beaten me if they were as op and easy to use as claimed by the 20 out of 64k daily players that are directing your attention and lack the competitive experience. And now I have an even greater advantage for the next multiplayer game because they are gimped further despite not doing well competitively.

The second picture is just before the 2.6 update so when I booted it up the admin cap is messed up, civic slot is gone, and income is reduced from deficits including science which I remember being over 150k but now isn't I'm assuming because of a deficit. Nothing a habitat or two filled with bureaucrat jobs wouldn't fix. That is what you are supposed to look like in multiplayer pvp end game, many divided 1-2 mil fleets strategically placed to lockdown starbases and prevent rebuilding ships with your core economy within a single jump so you can actually defend yourself. I have not seen anything relatively close to this on here for you guys to see as an example for what happens regularly for multiplayer and what numbers are commonly hit at what times and by what types of empires. So if the question is balance, I HIGHLY recommend using official tournaments to gain valuable data that your most competitive players simply don't have time to share because well, they are enjoying your very fun game within their own discords and communities.

The final picture is of course just an example of a normal bio empire teaming up with another organic to swap psi/genetic pops to create super-pops. This is without the worm, or any special modifiers and anomalies, no pacts from the shroud, it could be much, MUCH, higher. Yet from looking around I was not able to find a single number coming even relatively close from any screenshots here of a synth empire, despite the outcry from their 30% robot output and no one can show an example of synths beating a mediocre mid game bio pop? Not even those who support the synth op argument and have the most to gain from it? Food for thought :) Keep up the good work, keep those bug fixes coming improving multiplayer stability, take the monthly tournament competitive scene into consideration, and have a great week!

Attachments

• nerd2.png
    nerd2.png
    3,5 MB · Views: 51
  • nerd3.png
    nerd3.png
    3,4 MB · Views: 46
  • nerd1.jpg
    nerd1.jpg
    73,7 KB · Views: 39
I think the developers would greatly benefit from a monthly player vs player tournament of some sorts set up officially by Paradox to obtain a better scope of the balance and state of the game after reading the balance changes.
Stellaris is primarily a single-player game. Having a ultra-high-skill multiplayer match be the basis for the game being balanced would yield bad results for the vast majority of players.

I can confirm that a game we had running (including mods) which was desyncing like mad, stopped desyncing all together and it runs fine now. The occasional hick-ups from late-game are still there, but atleast that's only a 2second lag, instead of having to rehost.
So yes, it appears a lot better now and actually fixed.
That's good to hear, now i just need to convince my friends it is worth their time to start a new game o_O, and the Devs should be thanked for quickly getting this to us. A good sign of their dedication which is refreshing.

Stellaris is primarily a single-player game. Having a ultra-high-skill multiplayer match be the basis for the game being balanced would yield bad results for the vast majority of players.
That depends on what the decisions made based on those high-skill matches are.

Will we ever be alerted when there's a new Federation President, or be able to look up the end of the current President's term? (EDIT: We can look up the end of the current President's term, but there's still no alert when the Presidency changes hands.)

Last edited:
A different way to think of it:

At 1k sprawl it is identical to one level 2 building. Those same five pops as researchers could be pushing 400 research a month instead, so you could recoup the cost in about twenty months, in theory.

In theory. In practice this doesn't happen because you need to maintain a buffer at high sprawl levels, because your sprawl grows every month. Anyone who gets meaningful benefit from the tech without the building is playing a horrific micro game.
It doesn't add 10% capacity, which would merely be underwhelming. It adds 10, full stop. The same as a single Bureaucrat, except not boosted by any of the things that boost Bureaucrats. (OK, after the two crappy +5% techs it actually adds 11 admin cap, which is totally worthwhile... /s)

At best, assuming you're riding near the edge of your cap, this tech literally saves you one job, which is half of a starting building and one consumer good/month. Except it doesn't even fully replace the benefits of that job. Seriously, this tech is worthless now.

Like how pop ethics attraction was fixed in 2.6.2, and didn't work. Then fixed again in 2.6.3, and still mysteriously doesn't work?
If you're aware of Juggernauts disappearing post 2.6.2, please file a bug report (and ideally provide a save) so we can investigate it. I haven't heard of any instances of it occurring.

We have fixed several OOS. However, we cannot guarantee that all sources of OOS have been fixed.

Hi @Moah! Not sure if you handle these issues, but could you please clarify the ethics fix? It's not the most vital issue out there, but there have been plenty of comments in the last 4 pages about it, and several Disc communities I'm a part of are concerned about the ethics issue as well.

tl;dr, pops still don't change ethics, and suppressing a faction even to the point of 1-5% support doesn't make pops abandon that faction. In fact, such factions still often develop better than an unsuppressed minor faction (one that's not based on your starting ethics, merely on your actions, say, bordering hostile xenos > xenophobe), or even your non-fanatic faction.

Here's a quote-link to my prev post if you want more details. We'd really love to hear from your team on this. After all, you guys listed that bug as fixed in the changelog. :(

Guys... it doesn't work.

https://imgur.com/a/V7zf5kE
V7zf5kE

Ethics attraction still doesn't work. I've only stopped suppressing the Spiritualists and promoting the Materialist twice in the entire 90-something year run. For like a couple of months to rush influence for building habitats or elections.

Other ethics are fixed, like I don't have an expected 4% of Pacifists for whatever reason, but I cannot make my pops abandon the Spiritualist faction and switch to either of the other three. My materialists, in the meantime, are expected to be 63%, whereas only 35% of my pops embrace that ethic.

Seriously. It's freaking insane. Not to mention, why do I even get Spiritualist factions as a Fanatic Materialist at the start? If you give me the tools to design my nation as a player, how does it make sense for the game to just walk over my choice by popping up an opposite faction right at the start, with no way to reduce its numbers? And even if there was such a way, again, why does it make sense?

If I want a spiritualist faction, I'll go Psionic theory, I'll avoid getting robots, but I should just get spiritualists out of nowhere at the game start, when I chose to play the materialists. It's like you start playing a mage and then the game tells you, "hey, you'll have to be a warrior I guess".

After playing a(nother) game of Void Dwellers ... ethics attraction seems to do something now. Something, mind you, does not mean that it is doing what one would expect given the tooltips. Yes, pops shift ethics and yes, increasing ethics shift chance appears to speed the process up, buuuut ... when the game is telling me in the tooltip that 20% of my pops are following materialist ethics out of an expected 60%, but in actual reality (when counting the pops in the list) it's more like 80%+ something is still broken. (This is post-synth ascension)

Kinda makes it hard to check what's actually happening when those numbers aren't right... or at least, counterintuitive (if I'm wrong about how to read and interpret them)

On a different note, in the same game a lovely no-ethics no-civics despicable neutrals New Khanate spawned into existence.

And on yet another note, by 2430, when the War in Heaven broke out, all AI empires still did not have tier3 starbases (with 6 module slots I mean), the two top ones (other than my own self) mayyyybe had like two or three on L-Gates. So it appears the AI is capable of upgrading them, just doesn't think it worth their time to do so. This is seriously underwhelming, as I was able to strongarm my position into literally being The Senate by sheer fleet power alone while there were still two or three other economically competitive empires on the map - no conquests were done for challenge and RP reasons.

Last edited:
After opting into 2.6.3 I dont seem to have trade agreements with my federation allys and subjects anymore. I also cant set them up. Result is that the megacorps among them dont set up any Branch Offices in my empire anymore.

I know its not that huge, but that minor sanctions fix makes me so happy! And finally, an alloy nerf to robot production, I've wanted this for a loooong time! It's not fun to play robots if they are just strictly better than everyone (although I'm sure they'll still be very strong, probably still the meta for min/maxing).

Overall, very exciting, when I finish my work I'm eager to start up some new games. Love the changes and the current direction of the game, but too busy working and playing to spend much time commenting here. You guys are really keeping my morale up, the SF Bay Area sheltered up even before this released, but it's been a real treat to have this. Stay safe everyone!

This change seems pretty weird to me. The idea of a hegemony is that it's... a hegemony. It's not an equal arrangement. Even the description of a hegemony in game was something like "satellite states surrounding a powerful leader". You don't just pass the iron fist every twenty years. It makes some sense if the next president is chosen by challenge instead of on a 20 year rotation, but Status Change seems like the most natural way for leadership of a hegemony to be determined; the state in a position of power won't allow itself to be deposed unless a competing power rises to take its place. This aspect of hegemonies is explicit in the mechanics as well, in everything from the "Secession" and "Join or die" CBs to the new changes: the authoritarian faction demand and locking egalitarian empires out of the Hegemon origin.

I haven't formed a hegemony without using the hegemon origin yet, but if a hegemony created mid-game starts with a 20 year rotating term, I think that's also very unusual.

I'm pretty sure the chief reasoning for this is that it allows players to try and maintain their status of President using the Origin, especially at higher difficulties. I don't have Federations yet, but at the end of those 20 years, does it flip to the next most powerful Empire? Because whether or not you're able to maintain higher authority over the other members, it's effectively still a status change, right? Just with a delay.

Yeah, this is it exactly. After testing it a few times I would reliably and immediately cede control of the federation to an AI if it set its diplomatic stance to cooperative. To counter it, I had to set my own diplomatic stance to cooperative and then change from diplomatic weight to something else as the decider for when the leader changes.

While I think I would rather have had the default succession power changed to fleet over diplomatic weight, thereby giving you that first few days to sort things out to your liking and reinforcing the idea that the leader is the strongest as opposed to the savviest, a 20 year rotation should also work just fine. As you said, it should rotate back to you should you be the strongest, because the strongest succession type should still be the default.

In any case, for the most part, the AI doesn't seem to care about many federation rules outside the fleet contribution ones, and so I imagine you can still set it back to status change should you want to.

Last edited: