[Dev Team] 2.6.3 Beta Patch Released [checksum ae56]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
* Hegemon Origin now starts with a 20 year term instead of Status Change.

This change seems pretty weird to me. The idea of a hegemony is that it's... a hegemony. It's not an equal arrangement. Even the description of a hegemony in game was something like "satellite states surrounding a powerful leader". You don't just pass the iron fist every twenty years. It makes some sense if the next president is chosen by challenge instead of on a 20 year rotation, but Status Change seems like the most natural way for leadership of a hegemony to be determined; the state in a position of power won't allow itself to be deposed unless a competing power rises to take its place. This aspect of hegemonies is explicit in the mechanics as well, in everything from the "Secession" and "Join or die" CBs to the new changes: the authoritarian faction demand and locking egalitarian empires out of the Hegemon origin.

I haven't formed a hegemony without using the hegemon origin yet, but if a hegemony created mid-game starts with a 20 year rotating term, I think that's also very unusual.

There's a difference between having manageable (aka ones you can INTERACT with) factions and just an opposite attraction faction that's fucking with your concept. I love the idea of getting a third, fourth or fifth faction like pacifists, egalitarians, xenophobes or xenophiles depending on the nation I'm playing. It's realistic representation that some of my worlds are more pro- or anti-xeno, whilst others are more concerned for the nation to maintain its scientific or racial superiority.

You're not supposed to randomly get your starting leader become a faction leader of an opposite ethic with NO way that you, as a player, could've prevented that through active actions or inaction.

You, as a player, are given a nation designer. You choose to play a militarist nation that's defined by its pursuit for conquest and maintains a warlike society. It doesn't just become 50% pacifist at the start. And if it did, you as a player are supposed to either shift towards that completely or shift away from it, which is exactly what you cannot currently do.

Don't try to come in making up excuses for stuff that doesn't work, please. I've never argued that I should only have two factions, corresponding for my fan. ethic and the secondary ethic. That's actually the opposite of what I want to see, I just want to see something that /works/ and /makes sense/.

I'll go for another completely identical run (as in, identical nation & galaxy settings) to see how it works out this time. If I get a spiritualist faction as a fan materialist, I'm keeping it suppressed the entire game (if I don't get one I'll be happy af).

But are you finding that pops are not swapping? As in the 'fix' didn't work? I know you still get a somewhat random allocation of ethics to your starting pops.

This change seems pretty weird to me. The idea of a hegemony is that it's... a hegemony. It's not an equal arrangement. Even the description of a hegemony in game was something like "satellite states surrounding a powerful leader". You don't just pass the iron fist every twenty years. It makes some sense if the next president is chosen by challenge instead of on a 20 year rotation, but Status Change seems like the most natural way for leadership of a hegemony to be determined; the state in a position of power won't allow itself to be deposed unless a competing power rises to take its place. This aspect of hegemonies is explicit in the mechanics as well, in everything from the "Secession" and "Join or die" CBs to the new changes: the authoritarian faction demand and locking egalitarian empires out of the Hegemon origin.

I haven't formed a hegemony without using the hegemon origin yet, but if a hegemony created mid-game starts with a 20 year rotating term, I think that's also very unusual.
I'm pretty sure the chief reasoning for this is that it allows players to try and maintain their status of President using the Origin, especially at higher difficulties. I don't have Federations yet, but at the end of those 20 years, does it flip to the next most powerful Empire? Because whether or not you're able to maintain higher authority over the other members, it's effectively still a status change, right? Just with a delay.

There's a bug where repealed resolutions don't actually get repealed. Was that fixed?

[EDIT]
Just loaded up a save where I was having that problem and it looks like it was fixed. Empires no longer seem to be considered in breach of laws that were repealed. Guess I just missed it in the patch notes.

Thanks PDX! Looking forward to more updates / bug fixes

Last edited:
Same outcome different words. If you make it necessary for them to be employed at all times its a buff to the job.
But choice of words is important, because it determines where attention is placed.

Saying "Buff the job" puts attention on the job and gives the impression the speaker thinks bureaucrats need Bigger Numbers.

Saying "make oversprawl always matter instead of only when you're about to finish a tech or buy a tradition step" (or even just "make bureaucrats matter all the time") puts attention on the shortcomings of the system bureaucrats interact with, which is where the problem really lies.

I'd argue it always matter anyway, because if you forget to fill the bureaucrat jobs just in time to finish researching the tech, the surplus research points are gonna vanish into the void regardless.

Still no faction fix tho.

Each time i have started a new game i allways get several factions allready after 10 years, often two 100% against those i picked myself to start with. Which is just STUPID.
I have personall tried it myself with several ringworld starts, scion start and on shoulder of gianst start. The start population is enough to screw faction up right from the get go, and as far i can they never change. Even with nearly 200% faction "following" (i forgot the ingame term) before 10 year have gone, i still get 3-4 faction atleast. And i tried google it and saw some people have tried get 6 factions after first 10 years.

This was not such a bad problem before newest dlc release, i could often spend nearly 100 years before faction 3rd came. And most of my games i never saw a 4th faction. Now i been getting em allready after first 10 years each single time.

Supress does absolute nothing, even if i supress a new faction RIGHT away it still grows just as fast as my minor faction. Heck i seen unwanted factions grow faster then my minor (where i forfilled every minimum needed to avoid negative) while i was forfilling NONE of the things the unwanted faction liked AND being supressed at same time.

Why can't there be Spiritualists who like robots? Why can't there be Pacifists who want to Liberate everyone rather than sitting on their hands? Why can't there be Materialists who are wary of robots and prefer bio-ascension?

I really wish there was more nuance like this in the game. I've played two games in a row where half the empires in the galaxy had crippling machine uprisings, but literally all of them were still unwilling to ban robots, and actively supported the resolution that makes it illegal to ban robots while they were all being murdered by robots.

Supress does absolute nothing, even if i supress a new faction RIGHT away it still grows just as fast as my minor faction. Heck i seen unwanted factions grow faster then my minor (where i forfilled every minimum needed to avoid negative) while i was forfilling NONE of the things the unwanted faction liked AND being supressed at same time.

So you're saying the 'fix' in the patch notes hasn't worked? I'm shocked. @Obidobi Want to comment?

I think an easy way to fix Bureaucrats being useless until a tech/tradition is actually unlocked would be to make the empire sprawl penalties a factor that divides your monthly output rather than multiplying the discrete cost. So +100 empire sprawl over your limit divides your monthly research by 1.3 and monthly unity by 1.5, for instance. This way it isn't technically better to constantly unemploy/employ Bureaucrats. Unfortunately this doesn't work for campaigns, but as you typically unlock these over longer intervals I don't think it's a problem.

Last edited:
I think an easy way to fix Bureaucrats being useless until a tech/tradition is actually unlocked would be to make the empire sprawl penalties a factor that divides your monthly output rather than multiplying the discrete cost. So +100 empire sprawl over your limit divides your monthly research by 1.3 and monthly unity by 1.5, for instance. This way it isn't technically better to constantly unemploy/employ Bureaucrats. Unfortunately this doesn't work for campaigns.
That's a really nice idea.

I'm pretty sure the chief reasoning for this is that it allows players to try and maintain their status of President using the Origin, especially at higher difficulties.
Yes. On higher difficulties you often lost Hegemon status on day two, which was undesirable.

So is the juggernaut disappearing after reloading a game bug still present then?
That was fixed with 2.6.2.

* Fixed the bug when ethics almost never shifted.

I just played a game, where every 10 years I took a note of my ethics attraction number and the number of my pops following each ethic. It's not fixed.

This is the second time in a row where you've included a 'fix' for this specific issue in the patch notes when it hasn't actually been fixed. Third time lucky?

question on patch note: The old `initializer` key is not available anymore. Current scripts are updated.

I see and understand where a couple were updated to the new format initializers = { } but I see many in the various game files that still use the old format initializer = " " was this change only for the origins file or were the rest missed? Example common\solar_system_initializers\marauder_initializers.txt has several like initializer = "marauder_3_2"

If I did the search of the files correctly there are 147 cases the old format still being used.

:confused::confused::confused:

But choice of words is important, because it determines where attention is placed.

Saying "Buff the job" puts attention on the job and gives the impression the speaker thinks bureaucrats need Bigger Numbers.

Saying "make oversprawl always matter instead of only when you're about to finish a tech or buy a tradition step" (or even just "make bureaucrats matter all the time") puts attention on the shortcomings of the system bureaucrats interact with, which is where the problem really lies.

I see the point now. It didnt even occure to me that someone would assume Im talking about the admin cap number...

Might be a minor graphic/audio annoyance, but Titanic and XL weapons still fire their muzzle_flash_entity whenever you switch back and forth to system view. Not as annoying in vanilla, but with mods you can switch to system view and get bombarded with very loud weapon firing sounds :eek:.