• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 17th of March 2020

Good morning! As you may have heard, the Paradox office has shut down temporarily due to Coronavirus concerns; we’re all continuing to work from home though, and you’ll be pleased to hear that thus far the team remains in good health. If all goes as planned we should be able to continue releasing dev diaries as normal.

Today I’ll be covering the Papal and Italian mission trees. It’s been a while since we had a content-focused dev diary, and there’s still quite a lot we haven’t covered. Emperor and the 1.30 patch have such an immense wealth of content that we almost definitely won’t be able to talk about it all before release. With that in mind, here’s a list of mission trees we’ve created over the last year or so:

Mission trees available with the Emperor expansion:
  • Austria
  • Bavaria/Bavarian minors
  • Bohemia
  • Burgundy
  • Netherlands/Dutch and Flemish minors
  • Crusader States
  • Florence/Tuscany
  • France
  • Genoa
  • Germany/HRE (several unique missions each)
  • Lubeck
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Milan
  • Naples
  • Papal States
  • Provence
  • Brandenburg/Prussia
  • Savoy/Sardinia-Piedmont
  • Saxony
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland
  • Venice
Mission trees available to all players:
  • Albania
  • Brittany
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia/Ragusa/Dalmatia
  • Dithmarschen
  • Elector Bishops
  • Franconia/Franconian minors
  • French Duchies
  • Hannover/Hannoverian minors
  • Italian minors
  • Palatinate
  • Pomerania
  • Austrian Minors
  • Swabia/Swabian minors
  • Westphalia/Westphalian minors

Improving Catholic and Papal gameplay has been one of our core priorities during the development of Emperor, so it’s only fitting that the Papal States get a suitably comprehensive mission tree to boot. I won’t attempt to describe the requirements and rewards for every mission, so I’ll just focus on the parts I think are especially interesting.

pope_1.png

Starting from the Patrimony of St. Peter, the Holy Father is encouraged to embark on a campaign of conquest across the Italian peninsula. Besides uniting Italy under the rightful patrimony of the Pope being a noble goal in and of itself, this will also help you meet the requirements for the Kingdom of God decision.

Among the first missions the Papal States can pursue is Form the Swiss Guard. To achieve this the Pope must either have very good relations with Switzerland or else directly own a province in Switzerland itself.

swiss guard.png

The Swiss Guard is a unique mercenary company available only to the Papal States through the completion of this mission. They are very cheap to maintain, cheaper even than your normal Infantry regiments at base maintenance, and highly disciplined. They are however a very small Company, so while they will provide a significant edge in the early game they will not scale as well as other Companies later into your campaign.

Pursuing this branch of the mission tree will eventually get you to End the Schism. Besides completing previous missions in the branch, the owners of Constantinople and Moscow must both be Catholic. Completing this mission will give every remaining Orthodox country an important choice to make:

schism.png

Several of the missions for the Papal States give bonuses not only to the Pope himself but also to other Catholics. The Holy League for instance gives mercenary bonuses to the Pope’s allies, while Eastern Catholicization gives Lithuania a bonus to their Missionaries. The most interesting application of this idea is in the Missions to China and Japan. Using whatever means the Pope deems necessary, several provinces in China/Japan must be owned by a Catholic country to complete these missions of evangelism. Upon completing the mission, not only will relevant countries receive events giving them an opportunity to embrace Catholicism, but all provinces in China owned by a Catholic but not yet Catholic themselves will become easier to convert, while provinces already converted will receive reduced development cost.

Moving on, here’s the mission tree for a united Italy:

italy.png

As you can probably tell from some of the mission names, this mission tree has a somewhat Roman theme. Completing these missions will set you well on your way to restoring the Roman Empire and, therefore, Italy’s rightful place in the world.

The leftmost branch of the tree deals with bringing prosperity and advancement to Italy itself. Completing the Prosperity for all mission grants a temporary development cost modifier which will be useful in completing the Develop the South mission, which requires at least 5 provinces in southern Italy to have at least 25 development.

The main part of the mission tree encourages you to embark on a widespread campaign of conquest across the Mediterranean. A new Caesar must launch a new invasion of Gaul by crossing the Alps and defeating whatever barbarians have made it their home in the absence of proper Roman order. The so-called Holy Roman Empire must also be dealt with, either by dismantling it as a false pretender to the mantle of Rome or by seizing its crown for yourself. With the matter of Empire settled, it will be time to consider invasions of Iberia, the Balkans, and Anatolia. Completing this branch of the mission tree will reward you with 10% more manpower and land forcelimit for the rest of the game.

A united Italy must have a great navy, both to repel invasion from the sea and to launch invasions of its own. The Barbary Pirates inhabit the lan

d which was once Carthage, and later the Roman province of Africa. Once again it aligns itself against Italian interests, and must be annexed to ensure the safety of your trade routes. Before taking the fight onward to Egypt, it would be wise to secure an ally in Ethiopia, for the Kingdom of Prester John would surely aid your efforts. Jerusalem is the ultimate goal of this campaign, and once secured its religion will immediately be restored to your faith.

On the topic of Italy, we’ve added some new content about the Italian Wars:

italianwars.png

The Italian Wars can begin at any point during the Age of Discovery if an Italian country is the war leader (on either side) against a major Christian power - most likely France or Austria. Lasting for around 50 years, special Mercenary Companies such as the Tuscan Free Company will become available. Participants in the Italian Wars receive -10% mercenary cost and +5% mercenary discipline while they remain in an applicable war.

That’s all from me today. Next week Johan will reveal the major mechanical changes we’ve made to Catholicism, so come back next week to read all about it.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Flemish culture as a whole is a bit iffy in eu4 timeframe imho. There wasn't really a lot to set it apart from Dutch culture, hence why most of modern day Flanders joined the Dutch against the Spanish despite religious differences in the union of Utrecht (the capital of which was Antwerp, Flanders)

The distinction really only came about during almost three centuries of seperate rule with the Dutch independence and the Flemish under the Spanish and Austrians mostly.

During eu4 timeframe there wasn't really any entity the Flemish could realistically unite into other than the Netherlands which is why there is no formable Belgium
Frisian culture is getting added to the North so it won't be so pure Dutch. Formamble Belgium might be cool if nothing else to have the Haspburg Netherlands swapped for Bavaria as almost happened historically, even if Belgium is the same name as the Netherlands in Latin

Am I the only one who feels that Flemish minors are being royally penetrated in the bum by these mission trees? I already voiced my complaint about it once but I simply cannot accept that a Flemish mission tree would include a mission about Leiden university when there's a much bigger and older university literally sitting 60km from their starting territory. It's like a mission for the English about Cambridge university but instead they would make it about Harvard, it simply doesn't make sense.

Apart from that I'm not really bothered although the colonial missions could be a bit more unique instead of being a literal copy of the Dutch mission tree.

You know what I actually hate most about the gameplay.
The fact that when an ally goes to war, you often end up with nothing but a bit of cash.

Imo there should be an option to say: "i;ll join the war if I receive some land" ( I mean the AI can do it)
Also if it's an offensive war, you should be able to say "no i wont join war if they dont have 10 favors on you".

Seems a bit unfair that you have to go to ally wars, to keep them as an ally, but end up losing money and manpower with it.
Not gaining even 1 or 2 provinces

(I'm aware that this is not discussed in the dev diary, and it's about another topic, but i have not seen this brought up anywhere. Perhaps I'm the only one finding this mechanic annoying)

Let me know your thoughts.

Reactions:
I really think the pope should get, as like a reward for restoring a proper papal roman empire, something similar to the Mugahl Di wan, but having a second requirement of all provinces of that culture being catholic.

The pope historically sought to enforce hegemony over all of Catholicism and Christendom more generally and a very hard to achieve goal like the unification and catholicization of the "historically christian lands" under the papal rule should be recognized as an achievement mechanically.

@neondt Please don't leave out Duchy of Silesia from the new mission list. :( I am sure playing as them could be fun!

The Piast dynasty could go after Jagiellons for the throne of Poland (tighten relations with Teutonic Order perhaps? As did Bohemia in the past to keep Poland at bay). They could try to win over a fellow duchy of Mazovia, which is also ruled by Piasts. (it was a vassal of Bohemia for a time..)
Another branch, they could embrace a part of their identity which is German and follow the ambition to become a powerful member of the HRE. (an elector maybe)? Some of the missions could be about their relations with Bohemia (dispute over Lusatia or Moravia?), Brandenburg and Pomerania.

Develop Breslau/Wroclaw, the city should become the most dazzling metropolis in the Empire.

Industrialization and coal mines

Last but not least; mission - "We should erect a castle in Moszna. Imagine great parties that are going to be held in its halls!" ;D

Last edited:
You know what I actually hate most about the gameplay.
The fact that when an ally goes to war, you often end up with nothing but a bit of cash.

Imo there should be an option to say: "i;ll join the war if I receive some land" ( I mean the AI can do it)
Also if it's an offensive war, you should be able to say "no i wont join war if they dont have 10 favors on you".

Seems a bit unfair that you have to go to ally wars, to keep them as an ally, but end up losing money and manpower with it.
Not gaining even 1 or 2 provinces

(I'm aware that this is not discussed in the dev diary, and it's about another topic, but i have not seen this brought up anywhere. Perhaps I'm the only one finding this mechanic annoying)

Let me know your thoughts.
So kind of like how in the newer Total War games you can offer to join someone else's war in exchange for restitution of some kind? Interesting idea indeed. Would you say this should be restricted to just allies, or would factions have the ability to (theoretically) join any war they pleased on any side?

Oh look, Paradox giving Italy A ROMAN PATH yet again... How annoying

Italy should be focused exclusively on their native or historically-irredentist provinces, not go and conquer France or "Gallia" as romanboos call it

Reactions:
Oh look, Paradox giving Italy A ROMAN PATH yet again... How annoying

Italy should be focused exclusively on their native or historically-irredentist provinces, not go and conquer France or "Gallia" as romanboos call it
Italy tried to conquer southern France in Ww2 even after vichy France was a thing, so

Frisian culture is getting added to the North so it won't be so pure Dutch. Formamble Belgium might be cool if nothing else to have the Haspburg Netherlands swapped for Bavaria as almost happened historically, even if Belgium is the same name as the Netherlands in Latin

Belgium (coming from the latin Belgica) is not the same name as the Netherlands (coming from a dutch word for lowlands) in Latin.

So kind of like how in the newer Total War games you can offer to join someone else's war in exchange for restitution of some kind? Interesting idea indeed. Would you say this should be restricted to just allies, or would factions have the ability to (theoretically) join any war they pleased on any side?

You could offer condottierri if they would accept.

You could also enforce peace.

You could use great power intervention.

I think flat out giving you the power to intervene whenever is not really what EU4 or even paradox tries to do as a design philosophy. The game is not about total war but instead about the interplay of different systems of government and society with war.

Italy tried to conquer southern France in Ww2 even after vichy France was a thing, so

They only took limited parts that Italy had legitimate claim to, they only took more, and it was a modest amount, after Case Anton. One of my problems with the Italian mission tree is it's "Go conquer an entire region, it'll take you 2-4 wars, have fun". There doesn't seem to be any, "Secure Provence" or "Claiming Occitania" or "The Western Isles". We get missions of "Conuqer France", "Conquer Anatolia" and "Conquer Iberia", there's no incremental build up to securing a region like many other trees have, no specific provinces to go for, no aim besides "Go take all of this and make Rome", which while yes Rome still had much of a legacy and influence on many countries and many people claimed to be the successor of Rome, it'd be nice if Italy focused on Italy WITH the option to go for Rome, not make it the primary goal. It'd be like forming Germany then you get a mission tree to make the Holy Roman Empire, if I wanted to make the Holy Roman Empire united I'd go for that path, don't force me down it as something else. The main point I'm trying to make is there seems to be no specific thought into a tree. Anyone can go "Oh yeah Italian tree, uhhhh, go conquer all the regions and make Rome again", there's no unique missions, no diplomatic alliances with former Roman lands like befriending the French or Iberians. Besides, did we really need a mission tree for something so many already aim to do, this will do nothing besides speeding up the process for a Roman Empire being formed because you get the rewards now for doing it.

Reactions:
Have they revealed the Lubeck ideas yet?

Regarding Italy, will this new set allowing Italy to inherit the Ambrosian Republic of Milan or the Venetian Republic government of well Venice? Because I think it would alot of flavor and individuality for playthroughs for formable nations to "inherit" the unique governmental style of the nations that formed them.

Regarding Italy, will this new set allowing Italy to inherit the Ambrosian Republic of Milan or the Venetian Republic government of well Venice? Because I think it would alot of flavor and individuality for playthroughs for formable nations to "inherit" the unique governmental style of the nations that formed them.
I don't think that "Serene Republic" would be good - giving the possible malus to administrative capacity and efficiency, that took place of "max of states".
"Ambrosian republic" would be good to keep, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
I don't think that "Serene Republic" would be good - giving the possible malus to administrative capacity and efficiency, that took place of "max of states".
"Ambrosian republic" would be good to keep, but I am not sure.

I meant in general, given those were just some examples. Just it would be an interesting idea

Hey, I like the changes of the dlc. Is there a possibility to get a religious league map? i find it super annoying to have to read the names and search for them to see who would be in the war. maybe you can colour the leagues in the hre map?