• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just a heads-up @Erilaz: the link/attachment you have in the main post for NHO Map Changes is actually for the 20-11-2019 version, not the Frosty1-compatible version you uploaded last month. I spent longer than I'm willing to admit trying to figure out why the Expanded Trade submod was breaking before I realized my NHO Map files were all sorts of wrong. The files from NHO Compilation are the correct ones, however. Thought you'd like to know ;)
Well, damned. Fixed that. Thanks for the heads up!

Erilaz and all those who use the Call To Arms submod, I'm wondering what time period(s) (and regions of the in-game world) you think are better represented with the CTA mod activated instead of the vanilla liege-levy system? And what time periods would thus be better represented using the vanilla system?

I was reading the wikipedia article on bastard feudalism and, if I understand it correctly, it seems that the CTA mod is less realistic in the late middle ages, in England at least. Am I right in thinking so?

@Erilaz

Hey, buddy!
Frosty 2 came out last night. Not sure if the smaller submods will need an update, but I guess NHO base will probably need a few adjustments.

Cheers!

Erilaz and all those who use the Call To Arms submod, I'm wondering what time period(s) (and regions of the in-game world) you think are better represented with the CTA mod activated instead of the vanilla liege-levy system? And what time periods would thus be better represented using the vanilla system?

I was reading the wikipedia article on bastard feudalism and, if I understand it correctly, it seems that the CTA mod is less realistic in the late middle ages, in England at least. Am I right in thinking so?

I'm not sure, but if one would prefer to use the liege levies exclusively for later administrations, that's possible. The issue would be balance since a liege with CTA would be able to raise a lot more troops than someone with only liege levies.

Personally I don't see a reason to change it though, it's only relevant for very late game, if at all, and it would cause too many issues.

@Erilaz

Hey, buddy!
Frosty 2 came out last night. Not sure if the smaller submods will need an update, but I guess NHO base will probably need a few adjustments.

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that most of the parts and tweaks will require an update, but I'll look into it this coming week! :)

I'm pretty sure that most of the parts and tweaks will require an update, but I'll look into it this coming week! :)

Thanks mate! I'll keep an eye out for your update. Can't play without your various smaller tweaks ;)

Frosty2 update available! All parts and tweaks that required comp-patching have been comp-patched.

CHANGELOG:
15-03-20
Main Part:
- Updated for Frosty2.

- Denmark's feudal strenght in 993 rebalanced.
- Duchy of Galloway now called "Carreg" (i.e. Carrick) rather than "Gall Ghaidheal" in Welsh/Brittonic languages.
- Cumbric localisation for the Kingdom of Man (copied from Welsh).
- Tweaked the 993 Irish setup: Connacht tributary to Mael-Sechnaill, and Brian Boru has been buffed to give him a shot at High Kingship, etc.
- Bagsecg is now named Bersi, this being attested in Latin, and the only Old Norse name suggested for him. One source also mentions him as Basrechg which is close enough.
- Other minor changes and corrections.
Icelandic Republic:
- Updated for Frosty2.
Map Changes:
- Updated for Frosty2.
Call to Arms:
- Updated for Frosty2.
Keep Betrothed Family Members Home:
- Updated for Frosty2.
Passive Finno-Ugric Pagans:
- Updated for Frosty2.
Proper Ruler Designer:
- Updated for Frosty2.
The Articles of the Barons:
- Updated for Frosty2.

NHO Compilation (15-03-20)

Includes all NHO parts and all tweaks except Call to Arms, No Early Bascinets or Great Helms, and Proper Ruler Designer.

For HIP Frosty2 (EMF and SWMH required) NOTE: Unfortunately doesn't support MiniSWMH anymore.

NHO Main Part

Features:
  • Reworked Norse culture split, including four brand new cultures in Scandinavia and a completely overhauled language setup. See here for details.
  • Overhauled Norse and Norse-derived (including melting pot) character and dynasty names as well as noble and landed title localisation.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • A "Scots" melting-pot that will appear in the Scottish lowlands in the 11th century (around the time of Malcolm III whose descendants are of this anglophile culture along with the Scoto-Norman nobility).
  • Revision of the Rus setup, with a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, fixes to the Novgorod Republic, corrections to the surrounding culture setup, and a split of the Mordvin culture into Erzya and Moksha, etc.
  • Changes and corrections to the title and character setup in and around the Scandinavian kingdoms.
  • Tweaked Norse-Gaelic and Anglo-Danish melting-pots.
  • Slightly lowered taxes and levies of North Sea and Baltic Merchant Republics.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence (see the changelog).
Requirements:
HIP Frosty2 (EMF and SWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20)

NHO Icelandic Republic

Features:
  • Iceland as a republic with all the lawspeakers, important chieftains, and major clans of the age, several saga figures, and a complete line of Bishops for both of the Icelandic dioceses.
  • Important families of the Faeroe Islands around the time of conversion to Christianity and an extra holding to make the struggles for/against conversion and integration into the Norwegian Kingdom more interesting; this holding later being replaced by the diocese of the Islands.
  • Unreformed pagans can use the "convert to merchant republic" decision (when all other requirements are met).
  • Added modifiers to portray the pre-colonisation (no levies), the Landnám, and the climate (these will also further limit the amount of gold earned by the Icelandic MR government).
Requirements:
HIP Frosty2 (SWMH and EMF required), NHO Main Part

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20)

NHO Map Changes

Features:
  • Redrawn borders that give York and London access to the sea.
  • Opened up several passes through the Norwegian mountain terrain.
Requirements:
HIP Frosty2 (SWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20)

Proper Ruler Designer

Features:
Brings back the +/- of the Ruler Designer to stop yourself and your friends from overindulging.

Requirements:
HIP Frosty2 (EMF required)

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

Call to Arms

Features:
Any independent ruler, with at least one higher than baron tier vassal, that becomes primary participant in a war will have to call vassals to arms, but when at peace or a secondary participant only, the ruler will get the possibility to raise liege levies once more
NOTE:
- I've created this with inspiration, and some base code, from this mod.
- Many triggers for factions and decisions have been modified to take into account the drop in the liege's perceived power when he no longer has direct control of his vassals' levies.
- Be aware that this feature is very much experimental and will change your experience significantly.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

The Articles of the Barons

Features:
Removes the baron-tier border gore reduction. See here for details.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20)

Passive Finno-Ugric Pagans

Features:
Unreformed Finno-Ugric pagans will not start wars of conquest. They will stay passive except for revolts, raids, and defence of other realms of the same faith. Baltic and Slavic pagans have also been made slightly less aggressive.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20)

Keep Betrothed Family Members Home

Features:
Gives the player an option to keep betrothed family members home when at war, even when under siege, in order to prevent loss of strategic betrothals - of course at the risk of them being captured.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(15-03-20)

Last edited:
I hope you'll excuse me for indulging in another update - hopefully with some things you may find interesting!

Finally all the issues with barony-tier vassals have been solved for the Call to Arms tweak.

CHANGELOG:
16-03-20
Main Part:
- Made absolutely sure the youngest Scandinavian cultures don't revert to an older one.
- Other minor changes and corrections.
No Early Bascinets or Great Helms:
- The open flat topped nasal helmet is only used from 1125 to 1200. Extended to English, French, and Occitan characters.
- English (from 1125) characters now use Norman gfx as base instead of Saxon/English. This makes more sense rather than Norman characters 'reverting' to Saxon-ish clothing and armour; especially to avoid the old Saxon style nasal helmet.
- Western high martial gear rebalanced, and now even more common when they emerge; this mostly since they act also as development in technology, replacing one with the other etc.
Call to Arms:
- Made new government types for all feudal baron-tier castle holders to exclude them from the call to arms and thus make their troops useful again when primary participant (as liege levies).

NHO Compilation (16-03-20)

Includes all NHO parts and all tweaks except Call to Arms, No Early Bascinets or Great Helms, and Proper Ruler Designer.

For HIP Frosty2 (EMF and SWMH required) NOTE: Unfortunately doesn't support MiniSWMH anymore.

NHO Main Part

Features:
  • Reworked Norse culture split, including four brand new cultures in Scandinavia and a completely overhauled language setup. See here for details.
  • Overhauled Norse and Norse-derived (including melting pot) character and dynasty names as well as noble and landed title localisation.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • A "Scots" melting-pot that will appear in the Scottish lowlands in the 11th century (around the time of Malcolm III whose descendants are of this anglophile culture along with the Scoto-Norman nobility).
  • Revision of the Rus setup, with a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, fixes to the Novgorod Republic, corrections to the surrounding culture setup, and a split of the Mordvin culture into Erzya and Moksha, etc.
  • Changes and corrections to the title and character setup in and around the Scandinavian kingdoms.
  • Tweaked Norse-Gaelic and Anglo-Danish melting-pots.
  • Slightly lowered taxes and levies of North Sea and Baltic Merchant Republics.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence (see the changelog).
Requirements:
HIP Frosty2 (EMF and SWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(16-03-20)

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

Features:
No longer will you see Harald Hardrada wearing a 13th century great helm. Disables bascinets before 1300, great helms before 1225 (for Crusaders 1200), enclosed helmets before 1150, flat top and kettle hats before 1125. The distribution of high martial gear based on martial skill etc. has also been tweaked slightly to accommodate the more fractured emergence of the helmet types - and for a nice transition between them.

Requirements:
HIP Frosty2 (CPRplus required)

Download:
Direct
(16-03-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

Call to Arms

Features:
Any independent ruler, with at least one higher than baron tier vassal, that becomes primary participant in a war will have to call vassals to arms, but when at peace or a secondary participant only, the ruler will get the possibility to raise liege levies once more
NOTE:
- I've created this with inspiration, and some base code, from this mod.
- Many triggers for factions and decisions have been modified to take into account the drop in the liege's perceived power when he no longer has direct control of his vassals' levies.
- I've also made new government types for all barony-tier feudal vassals to make sure only vassals that can raise their troops will be called (i.e. feudal county-tier or above).
- Be aware that this feature is very much experimental and will change your experience significantly.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(16-03-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

I hope you'll excuse me for indulging in another update - hopefully with some things you may find interesting!

Finally all the issues with barony-tier vassals have been solved for the Call to Arms tweak.

Buddy, you're amazing ;)

Buddy, you're amazing ;)

Cheers!

Do tell me if you find anything untoward with the new baron-tier governments. I haven't made new government types before. That said, they should work without issue, and my limited playtesting told me so.

As demanding as it sounds, it would be nice if there was a merged version of this, Better Slavs, and maybe also a few other submods (some updated since some are out of date). I tried making one myself, problem is that I wouldn't have time to update it for every HIP update, so I just gave up on it.

problem is that I wouldn't have time to update it for every HIP update, so I just gave up on it.

That's exactly why I don't do it, even though I did for some time with Walter's stuff for example - but later it didn't make sense especially since I didn't use it myself.

It already takes a lot of time to comp-patch our own stuff. Unfortunately that's how it is. I'd gladly help with guidance and advice with tools and such though.

A small hotfix for the No Early Bascinets or Great Helms tweak.

CHANGELOG
18-03-20
No Early Bascinets or Great Helms:
- Female characters now also subject to the changes to French/Norman helmets introduced on the 16th.

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

Features:
No longer will you see Harald Hardrada wearing a 13th century great helm. Disables bascinets before 1300, great helms before 1225 (for Crusaders 1200), enclosed helmets before 1150, flat top and kettle hats before 1125. The distribution of high martial gear based on martial skill etc. has also been tweaked slightly to accommodate the more fractured emergence of the helmet types - and for a nice transition between them.

Requirements:
HIP Frosty2 (CPRplus required)

Download:
Direct
(18-03-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

Cheers!

Do tell me if you find anything untoward with the new baron-tier governments. I haven't made new government types before. That said, they should work without issue, and my limited playtesting told me so.

Sure ;)

That's exactly why I don't do it, even though I did for some time with Walter's stuff for example - but later it didn't make sense especially since I didn't use it myself.

It already takes a lot of time to comp-patch our own stuff. Unfortunately that's how it is. I'd gladly help with guidance and advice with tools and such though.

Yep. I wonder if the HIP team would be able to implement these submods (minus stuff like Renascentia Romanorum), since from what i've seen they are another step to closer historical accuracy.

Yep. I wonder if the HIP team would be able to implement these submods (minus stuff like Renascentia Romanorum), since from what i've seen they are another step to closer historical accuracy.
It's unlikely that whole submods will be integrated, but a few things have been integrated partly. They have their own priorities and preferences, and that's completely understandable.

@Erilaz is it possible to modify the call to arms submod so that it only applies to early and late feudal societies and tribals and not to imperial governments or republics?
It would be possible, yes. But as I said earlier, the balance would be even worse off.

could it be somewhat balanced by having vassals having no choice but to provide their maximum allowed levies to their imperial liege regardless of opinion?
Well, that would be fixing a broken balance by breaking other balance mechanics...