• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 17th of March 2020

Good morning! As you may have heard, the Paradox office has shut down temporarily due to Coronavirus concerns; we’re all continuing to work from home though, and you’ll be pleased to hear that thus far the team remains in good health. If all goes as planned we should be able to continue releasing dev diaries as normal.

Today I’ll be covering the Papal and Italian mission trees. It’s been a while since we had a content-focused dev diary, and there’s still quite a lot we haven’t covered. Emperor and the 1.30 patch have such an immense wealth of content that we almost definitely won’t be able to talk about it all before release. With that in mind, here’s a list of mission trees we’ve created over the last year or so:

Mission trees available with the Emperor expansion:
  • Austria
  • Bavaria/Bavarian minors
  • Bohemia
  • Burgundy
  • Netherlands/Dutch and Flemish minors
  • Crusader States
  • Florence/Tuscany
  • France
  • Genoa
  • Germany/HRE (several unique missions each)
  • Lubeck
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Milan
  • Naples
  • Papal States
  • Provence
  • Brandenburg/Prussia
  • Savoy/Sardinia-Piedmont
  • Saxony
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland
  • Venice
Mission trees available to all players:
  • Albania
  • Brittany
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia/Ragusa/Dalmatia
  • Dithmarschen
  • Elector Bishops
  • Franconia/Franconian minors
  • French Duchies
  • Hannover/Hannoverian minors
  • Italian minors
  • Palatinate
  • Pomerania
  • Austrian Minors
  • Swabia/Swabian minors
  • Westphalia/Westphalian minors

Improving Catholic and Papal gameplay has been one of our core priorities during the development of Emperor, so it’s only fitting that the Papal States get a suitably comprehensive mission tree to boot. I won’t attempt to describe the requirements and rewards for every mission, so I’ll just focus on the parts I think are especially interesting.

pope_1.png

Starting from the Patrimony of St. Peter, the Holy Father is encouraged to embark on a campaign of conquest across the Italian peninsula. Besides uniting Italy under the rightful patrimony of the Pope being a noble goal in and of itself, this will also help you meet the requirements for the Kingdom of God decision.

Among the first missions the Papal States can pursue is Form the Swiss Guard. To achieve this the Pope must either have very good relations with Switzerland or else directly own a province in Switzerland itself.

swiss guard.png

The Swiss Guard is a unique mercenary company available only to the Papal States through the completion of this mission. They are very cheap to maintain, cheaper even than your normal Infantry regiments at base maintenance, and highly disciplined. They are however a very small Company, so while they will provide a significant edge in the early game they will not scale as well as other Companies later into your campaign.

Pursuing this branch of the mission tree will eventually get you to End the Schism. Besides completing previous missions in the branch, the owners of Constantinople and Moscow must both be Catholic. Completing this mission will give every remaining Orthodox country an important choice to make:

schism.png

Several of the missions for the Papal States give bonuses not only to the Pope himself but also to other Catholics. The Holy League for instance gives mercenary bonuses to the Pope’s allies, while Eastern Catholicization gives Lithuania a bonus to their Missionaries. The most interesting application of this idea is in the Missions to China and Japan. Using whatever means the Pope deems necessary, several provinces in China/Japan must be owned by a Catholic country to complete these missions of evangelism. Upon completing the mission, not only will relevant countries receive events giving them an opportunity to embrace Catholicism, but all provinces in China owned by a Catholic but not yet Catholic themselves will become easier to convert, while provinces already converted will receive reduced development cost.

Moving on, here’s the mission tree for a united Italy:

italy.png

As you can probably tell from some of the mission names, this mission tree has a somewhat Roman theme. Completing these missions will set you well on your way to restoring the Roman Empire and, therefore, Italy’s rightful place in the world.

The leftmost branch of the tree deals with bringing prosperity and advancement to Italy itself. Completing the Prosperity for all mission grants a temporary development cost modifier which will be useful in completing the Develop the South mission, which requires at least 5 provinces in southern Italy to have at least 25 development.

The main part of the mission tree encourages you to embark on a widespread campaign of conquest across the Mediterranean. A new Caesar must launch a new invasion of Gaul by crossing the Alps and defeating whatever barbarians have made it their home in the absence of proper Roman order. The so-called Holy Roman Empire must also be dealt with, either by dismantling it as a false pretender to the mantle of Rome or by seizing its crown for yourself. With the matter of Empire settled, it will be time to consider invasions of Iberia, the Balkans, and Anatolia. Completing this branch of the mission tree will reward you with 10% more manpower and land forcelimit for the rest of the game.

A united Italy must have a great navy, both to repel invasion from the sea and to launch invasions of its own. The Barbary Pirates inhabit the lan

d which was once Carthage, and later the Roman province of Africa. Once again it aligns itself against Italian interests, and must be annexed to ensure the safety of your trade routes. Before taking the fight onward to Egypt, it would be wise to secure an ally in Ethiopia, for the Kingdom of Prester John would surely aid your efforts. Jerusalem is the ultimate goal of this campaign, and once secured its religion will immediately be restored to your faith.

On the topic of Italy, we’ve added some new content about the Italian Wars:

italianwars.png

The Italian Wars can begin at any point during the Age of Discovery if an Italian country is the war leader (on either side) against a major Christian power - most likely France or Austria. Lasting for around 50 years, special Mercenary Companies such as the Tuscan Free Company will become available. Participants in the Italian Wars receive -10% mercenary cost and +5% mercenary discipline while they remain in an applicable war.

That’s all from me today. Next week Johan will reveal the major mechanical changes we’ve made to Catholicism, so come back next week to read all about it.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I hate to be 'that guy' - but I have to ask, has there been any word at all on the Scandinavian countries? Although I understand that they're not part of the Emperor expansion, (which is weird, seeing as it's Europe-centric), part of me wonders why nothing has been heard, or no future plans remarked upon, as Denmark and Sweden were (arguably) at their most influential during this time period.
I would ask the same question about Eastern Europe as well, especially Pontic Steppe region that hasn't been updated for like 5 years(?).

I think should be inserted also the possibility to create the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia as a formable nation by Milan/Venice countries or as a releaseble nation by Austria if conquest the northern Italy (as Kingdom of Sicily can be released by the Kingdom of Two Sicilies). It could be propedeutic or a valid alternative goal respect the unification of Italy as mission or tree. ;)

Last edited:
I hate to be 'that guy' - but I have to ask, has there been any word at all on the Scandinavian countries? Although I understand that they're not part of the Emperor expansion, (which is weird, seeing as it's Europe-centric), part of me wonders why nothing has been heard, or no future plans remarked upon, as Denmark and Sweden were (arguably) at their most influential during this time period.

The unified country is but the people group pretty much successfully invaded all of Europe during the viking age. I'd say that was Scandinavia's strongest time period.

Denmark has updated ideas in one of the dev diaries. Just getting the league war events to fire more often would be preferred, so we see Swedish pomerania more often.
Nothing advanced here,

You don't need to have 100% inf as streltsy. Having around 35% of your total infantry is usually enough already for your vanguard strike armies.

It kinda is because +5% discipline is considerably better in late game than +10% land morale exactly the same way as +2.5% discipline is better than +5% land morale.

These ideas alone make Russian army quality slightly better than average (which is something like +5% discipline with +10% ICA). If you add streltsy and orthodoxy into equation, Russian quality becomes considerably better than average. But what makes Russian ideas really unique is the synergy between orthodox discipline, -10% fire damage received + and massive quantity bonuses that streltsy regiments heavily rely on. For example if Russia somehow finds itself fighting France, their armies quality disparity won't be huge: France will definitely have way more morale, but Russia will deal more casualties and will have far superior numbers.
But also consider their geography, Russia needs to beat the large Eastern Europeans, Ottomans, and backward Asians. France attacks the HRE, Italy, and Spain. Unless you're going for better than Napoleon, France will always have shorter supply distance than Russia so beat them, also vs AI, they're not likely to keep patriarch authority at 100%, even if they spam Stretsly

I'd suggest you get a reason that is not "they should win against/be on par with country A/B/C/D because they are Italy who emerged from people who fought internally all the time prior." Give me a historical/alt-historical example of why Italy should have comparable troop quality to those you mentioned because I don't see one right now.

All I'm asking is for Italy to not be curbstomped by everyone else in the game, I even said merge the +1 Yearly Prestige with the -10% Stability Cost Modifier, you don't even lose any NI, you just free up a slot for a generic bonus to make Italian troops not melt in seconds. I'm not asking for Italian troops to be on par with French or Spanish, those countries shined throughout the time of EU IV, I'm asking for Italian troops to not be useless. You could say, "Oh just go get a military idea group and pick military bonuses", the AI does that too, making my bonuses pointless because we'll cancel each other out. And if you want a reason for why they should at least have 1 useful military idea? How about getting a formable that can at least hurt the other major Europeans. Not be on par, not be better, just at least not be nothing. If you disagree, go ahead, clearly I can't change your mind. Personally, I'd like to see a SLIGHT buff to Italian NIs. Forming Italy and taking their ideas shouldn't nerf my military if I'm playing Naples, Florence/Tuscany or even the new Sardinia-Piedmont ideas coming out in 1.30.

I think should be inserted also the possibility to create the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia as a formable nation by Milan/Venice countries or as a releaseble nation by Austria if conquer the northern Italy (as Kingdom of Sicily can be released by the Kingdom of Two Sicilies). It could be propedeutic or a valid alternative goal respect the unification of Italy as mission or tree. ;)
Two sicilies is all of southern Italy yes, but once the Bourbons were on the throne is when it starts to be called two sicilies, and the title 'King of both Sicilies' had been an unofficial one for awhile. So there's about 100 years in game for it too exist, useful when they update the bookmarks. Whilst kingdom of Lombardy venetia is more an administrative department of the empire of Austria post Congress of Vienna, and in 1848 you have seperate Liberal republicans form governments in Milan and Venice, seperate from each other. A Lombard tag for Northern Italy would make more sense, as well as act as an intermediary for Milan (despite mission tree) and North Italian minors, as Tuscany acts as an intermediary for Siena and Florence to Italy. Although the title king of lombards, and Lombardy had long since died out, if Lotharegnia is getting resurrected to represent Charles the Bold's kingly ambitions, why not also Lombardy.

Two sicilies is all of southern Italy yes, but once the Bourbons were on the throne is when it starts to be called two sicilies, and the title 'King of both Sicilies' had been an unofficial one for awhile. So there's about 100 years in game for it too exist, useful when they update the bookmarks. Whilst kingdom of Lombardy venetia is more an administrative department of the empire of Austria post Congress of Vienna, and in 1848 you have seperate Liberal republicans form governments in Milan and Venice, seperate from each other. A Lombard tag for Northern Italy would make more sense, as well as act as an intermediary for Milan (despite mission tree) and North Italian minors, as Tuscany acts as an intermediary for Siena and Florence to Italy. Although the title king of lombards, and Lombardy had long since died out, if Lotharegnia is getting resurrected to represent Charles the Bold's kingly ambitions, why not also Lombardy.

Kingdom of Sicily was the historical predecessor of Kingdom of Two Sicilies and for a period it was separate and an indipendent nation respect Kingdom of Naples under Bourbon family, when Habsurg and Savoy families rules for few time the island (this before the italian unification and the military expedition of Garibaldi).
However, even if the Kingdom of Sicily could be generally considered as an administrative department of Naples, It can be release as indipendent kingdom in the game for the historical 22 years of formal independence from Naples.
So why not create something of similar for Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia?.
Italy in EU4 is a clear reference to the Kingdom of Italy created by Napoleon I (look the flag) as administrative deparment by France.
But the new italian tree and its missions are much more in line with the Italy created under Savoy than Napoleon.
So if there is an Italy based on historical french puppet kingdom, why not the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia (a northern Italy based on historical austrian puppet kingdom)?. Both never were independent nations.
But they can appeared in the game timeline and be played, because they are historically before the deadline of 1821 (Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia end in 1866!).
I understand that this northern kingdom was de facto under Habsburg and not properly ruled by italians, but if we consider also the event happened during the Risorgimento (or if we consider that the new italian tree will be much more "contemporary" and not properly in line with the timeline of the game), it's not absurd to recreate a Northern "Shadow Kingdom" nation (that could easily switch in a republican form with revolution or revolution centre introduced with the Emperor DLC).
A Lombard tag could create confusion among Milan territorial core and Lombard culture. A formable nation is more plausible historically and politically (for example look the Five Days of Milan, for remain only during Risorgimento period, as alternative premature development in the game).
Tuscany can form the Grand Duchy of Tuscany that after the Medici family was ruled by Habsburg family as administrative department of Austria.
Kingdom of Etruria could be created in the game even if existed for few time than Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia and the first it was historically a napoleonic puppet in Tuscany (even in presence of the french Kingdom of Italy!!!).
Savoy can form the Kingdom of Sardinia and Piedmont (even if Sardinia was historically only an administrative territory of Savoy family, this noble title was much more related their acquisition of the title of King, but de facto it was a Duchy of Savoy in large).
A possible alternative for Milan could be the formation of Insubria if reconquest the previous territory lost, but Insubria was another way for call the territorial expansion of the Duchy of Milan and not properly a historical new political institution like instead the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia.

Last edited:
Mission trees available with the Emperor expansion:
  • Austria
  • Bavaria/Bavarian minors
  • Bohemia
  • Burgundy
  • Netherlands/Dutch and Flemish minors
  • Crusader States
  • Florence/Tuscany
  • France
  • Genoa
  • Germany/HRE (several unique missions each)
  • Lubeck
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Milan
  • Naples
  • Papal States
  • Provence
  • Brandenburg/Prussia
  • Savoy/Sardinia-Piedmont
  • Saxony
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland
  • Venice
I want to play a campaign as Aachen because they are the original Emperor. Reform the HRE as Aachen was my goal. I was waited a year now to start this campaign i did some practice runs in the mean time but were not special enough to be mentioned.
Now the DLC is call Emperor but you dont give Aachen same special mission tree.
In my opinion is after Ulm as koala OPM Aachen the most loved and fun to play.
So my suggestion is give Aachen some missions to became the Emperor

All I'm asking is for Italy to not be curbstomped by everyone else in the game, I even said merge the +1 Yearly Prestige with the -10% Stability Cost Modifier, you don't even lose any NI, you just free up a slot for a generic bonus to make Italian troops not melt in seconds. I'm not asking for Italian troops to be on par with French or Spanish, those countries shined throughout the time of EU IV, I'm asking for Italian troops to not be useless. You could say, "Oh just go get a military idea group and pick military bonuses", the AI does that too, making my bonuses pointless because we'll cancel each other out. And if you want a reason for why they should at least have 1 useful military idea? How about getting a formable that can at least hurt the other major Europeans. Not be on par, not be better, just at least not be nothing. If you disagree, go ahead, clearly I can't change your mind. Personally, I'd like to see a SLIGHT buff to Italian NIs. Forming Italy and taking their ideas shouldn't nerf my military if I'm playing Naples, Florence/Tuscany or even the new Sardinia-Piedmont ideas coming out in 1.30.
They are NOT curbstomped by anyone, that's my point. Their military is not nothing and their troops aren't useless. Don't fix something that already works.

They are NOT curbstomped by anyone, that's my point. Their military is not nothing and their troops aren't useless. Don't fix something that already works.

All it takes is for one country to have +10% Morale or +5% Discipline and you already lose, most countries have that AND more, and if they don't have more, at least one of the two modifiers. And I'll say it again, forming Italy as some of the major Italian states should not make my army weaker, as I listed off already, since you were asking for a reason why they should get a buff. I don't get why you're so vehemently opposed to a slight buff to the Italian army, this won't break the game, this won't break SP, this won't break MP, they'll still have really good SP ideas and make people interested in forming them in MP and take their ideas. I'm not saying to give them a +20% Discipline or +50% Morale or +100% Fire Damage, I'm saying give them a buff, preferably a late game modifier, like Discipline, Fire Damage or Fire Damage Received, to show that Italy came into being later on in history and doesn't make them OP, somehow, in the early-mid game. If I form Italy as Sardinia-Piedmont in 1.30, and change to Italian NI, my army gets weaker, which to me is dumb. If you still don't want a small buff to Italian NI at this point, we'll just have to agree to disagree and end the conversation here, because neither one of us will be changing our opinions clearly.

Personally, i didn't had any trouble while playing and conquering as United Italy:
Offensive Ideas+Quality Ideas+Defensive Ideas+Italian NIs+Revolutionary Republic bonuses+Turning on millitary edicts (horse artillery, quality of arms) = you are pretty scary as it is.

I hate to be that guy, but if you really want a mission tree for the Risorgimento, maybe you should leave it for Victoria III.
In the new italian missions tree there is much more than the only Risorgimento, because Italy is projected towards imperialistic goals in line with its historical development in world wars. I think this EU4 expansion (with the new estates system) can try to recreate a premature political dynamic for Victoria 3.

I'm italian, and historically Italy isn't a great military power with a powerful army. Italy has got military problems during its colonial expansion in Africa in XIX century (Adua defeat), and in WW1 (Caporetto retreat). During WW2, Italy wasn't able to beat alone the Greece after the invasion. So I think that the actual national ideas in EU4 are balanced, not great as other national ideas, but much close to the reality.
Italian national ideas shouldn't be too much helpful for reach the Roman Empire. If you want something of easy for the conquest, you should play with France, Great Britain, Prussia that are much more militaristic and expansionist. Who played with Italy should understand that the recreation of Roman Empire is much more a coveted goal than something of easy to obtain.

Nothing advanced here,

You don't need to have 100% inf as streltsy. Having around 35% of your total infantry is usually enough already for your vanguard strike armies.

It kinda is because +5% discipline is considerably better in late game than +10% land morale exactly the same way as +2.5% discipline is better than +5% land morale.

These ideas alone make Russian army quality slightly better than average (which is something like +5% discipline with +10% ICA). If you add streltsy and orthodoxy into equation, Russian quality becomes considerably better than average. But what makes Russian ideas really unique is the synergy between orthodox discipline, -10% fire damage received + and massive quantity bonuses that streltsy regiments heavily rely on. For example if Russia somehow finds itself fighting France, their armies quality disparity won't be huge: France will definitely have way more morale, but Russia will deal more casualties and will have far superior numbers.

ait; 35% streltsy in our "late game" gives us something like effective 2.5 to 5% fire damage dealt(because cannons), so let's go for a nice 4%, alright. This roughly translates to about 0.8-0.9% effective discipline. It's low because fire/shock damage received/dealt doesn't affect morale casualties, as you are probably well aware. We add -10% fire damage received and we're at like 3.5% effective disci just from the magical bonuses that in your opinion somehow go in a synergy with each other.

I disagree with your notion that "5% disci is considerably better in late game than +10% morale" but ait, let's go with it. Let's even assume that 1% disci is as strong as 3% morale.
Comparing the religion bonuses we have in this case 5% effective disci from orthodoxy for Russia and +4.1% for protestants

summing it up, we are looking at like +7.6% effective disci from the ideas, government AND religion.

then we have +10% ACA; even in late game ACA is usually much worse than ICA, but let's be very kind fo the Russians here and say that they are equal, and so we are looking at another 2.5% effective disc up to +10.1% disc in total

if we did the same to France we get 5+20/3+5/3+2.5=15.8, for a 56% difference
and that's ignoring pips difference and potential age bonus

of course, if your standard is average, which also includes some shitty African tags then yeah, Russia is above average
but that's not really a great standard to follow, isn't it?