• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
QUESTION: If I have two licenses for the game, Steam and GoG for example, and install both under the same user, what happens to the mod folder: WIN: C:\Users\user_name\MyDocuments\MyGames\BattleTech\mods ?

QUESTION: If I have two licenses for the game, Steam and GoG for example, and install both under the same user, what happens to the mod folder: WIN: C:\Users\user_name\MyDocuments\MyGames\BattleTech\mods ?
If you installed them both to the same User, then there is but a single User Mod Folder.
Or am I missing something?

[I could be missing something, both my daughters are in for Christmas and with the Holiday Craziness Level so very high, I have been running short of sleep these last few days. : ) ]

If you installed them both to the same User, then there is but a single User Mod Folder.
Or am I missing something?

Yeah, that's what I would expect too. It still seems odd to me--and this has likely been discussed elsewhere--that HBS chose this location for their internal mod support.

Yeah, that's what I would expect too. It still seems odd to me--and this has likely been discussed elsewhere--that HBS chose this location for their internal mod support.
In the MS world \Documents is considered a "best practices" location to put things that are the User's rather than say the in the program directory, or elsewhere.

The sticky post will need to be updated with the new readme doc from 1.9.

...And I just did that.

Updated the Readme document at the start of this thread with the 1.9 updated version! Here's a list of patch notes for the readme:
  • Information broken into sections for easier usablity!
  • Screenshots!
  • Info on mod architecture!
  • Info on how to patch the ModLoader!
  • Additional resources!
This information is also available in the BattleTech/mods folder (the specific filepath will vary depending on your operating system).

Happy reading!

Sorry to be picky but:
2. The entire contents of this folder should be an absolute path to the folder you want to use; e.g. C:\BTMods. Please note that when redirecting mods, the BattleTech sub folder is not created.
Do you mean "The entire contents of this file..."
Might it also be useful to show the example like:
Code:
C:\BTMods
To disable mods, check the box next to the mod, and it will be marked “disabled”:
Do you mean "To disable mods, uncheck the box..."

:)

Sorry to be picky but:

Do you mean "The entire contents of this file..."
Might it also be useful to show the example like:
Code:
C:\BTMods

Do you mean "To disable mods, uncheck the box..."

:)
@HBS_Mouse @HBS_L8Knight
These errors are still there... :(
Would it be possible to indicate the changes to the document as well somehow - maybe red text or a changelog summary or something?

I'm totally stumped on how to modify data from the DLC. Like for example literally all I've changed in the UAC10 file are the descriptions:

"Manufacturer" : "Imperator Automatic",
"Model" : "Imperator Ultra-10"

And placed it in a file structure mod folder like "SreamingAssets/data/weapon" as I did with the "non-dlc" weapons, which do show up correctly when I change it and put it in a similar folder path. So for example I changed descriptions in Weapon_Autocannon_AC10_0-STOCK to

"Manufacturer" : "Sterope Defense Ind."
"Model" : "Pontiac 50"

And it works for any non-dlc file. (note, i have all DLC installed so I'm not sure what the issue is unless the dlc has a different path thats not just "SreamingAssets/data/weapon"?) The weapons from the 'stock' game are within their own mod folder, where as the dlc are also in their own mod folder.

My log file shows the following error:

ModLoader [WARNING] Warning: Could not find an existing VersionManifest entry for Weapon_Autocannon_UAC10_0-STOCK!

Last edited:
I'm totally stumped on how to modify data from the DLC. Like for example literally all I've changed in the UAC10 file are the descriptions:

"Manufacturer" : "Imperator Automatic",
"Model" : "Imperator Ultra-10"

And placed it in a file structure mod folder like "SreamingAssets/data/weapon" as I did with the "non-dlc" weapons, which do show up correctly when I change it and put it in a similar folder path. So for example I changed descriptions in Weapon_Autocannon_AC10_0-STOCK to

"Manufacturer" : "Sterope Defense Ind."
"Model" : "Pontiac 50"

And it works for any non-dlc file. (note, i have all DLC installed so I'm not sure what the issue is unless the dlc has a different path thats not just "SreamingAssets/data/weapon"?) The weapons from the 'stock' game are within their own mod folder, where as the dlc are also in their own mod folder.

My log file shows the following error:

ModLoader [WARNING] Warning: Could not find an existing VersionManifest entry for Weapon_Autocannon_UAC10_0-STOCK!
Although I have not yet experimented with 1.9, I know that in 1.8 it was not possible to modify DLC content using the built-in loader... you needed ModTek. As far as I can tell from reading the modding forums regularly, that has not changed. Regardless, for the DLC assets, the ID is the critical element and not the path... since the DLC content is stored in asset bundles, the path is meaningless.

My mod that changes movement rates includes the following "Manifest" line:
{ "Type": "MovementCapabilitiesDef", "Path": "movement", "AddToDB": true }

Then in the "movement" folder, I include the entire content of the files I want to change. (I think it would now be possible to change things much more selectively, but when I got this working I was so tired of failed attempts that I didn't try any variations on what worked first.) Reference copies of the DLC files are available at the GitHub link that is listed last in the original post of this thread.

Although I have not yet experimented with 1.9, I know that in 1.8 it was not possible to modify DLC content using the built-in loader... you needed ModTek. As far as I can tell from reading the modding forums regularly, that has not changed. Regardless, for the DLC assets, the ID is the critical element and not the path... since the DLC content is stored in asset bundles, the path is meaningless.

My mod that changes movement rates includes the following "Manifest" line:
{ "Type": "MovementCapabilitiesDef", "Path": "movement", "AddToDB": true }

Then in the "movement" folder, I include the entire content of the files I want to change. (I think it would now be possible to change things much more selectively, but when I got this working I was so tired of failed attempts that I didn't try any variations on what worked first.) Reference copies of the DLC files are available at the GitHub link that is listed last in the original post of this thread.

I think I figured it out, in order to modify DLC files you have to actually unpack the assetbundles, edit the files, then repack them. Basically its definitely not possible to simply edit and replace any existing dlc file since they are not outside the assetbundle, unlike non-dlc files.

In the HBS integrated modtek, all you have to do is create a mod folder with the structure to the repacked assetbundle so as not to overwrite the original ModName\StreamingAssets\data\assetBundles

{mod edit: no unapproved links like reddit}

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I figured it out, in order to modify DLC files you have to actually unpack the assetbundles, edit the files, then repack them. Basically its definitely not possible to simply edit and replace any existing dlc file since they are not outside the assetbundle, unlike non-dlc files.

In the HBS integrated modtek, all you have to do is create a mod folder with the structure to the repacked assetbundle so as not to overwrite the original ModName\StreamingAssets\data\assetBundles

{mod edit: no unapproved links like reddit}
Interesting. I definitely prefer to edit individual files with ModTek, but it's nice to know that it actually can be done with the built-in loader as well.

Never been able to get the built-in modloader to work. I've tried putting mods including the supplied "ModSample" folder in the following locations with no luck whatsoever (that is there are no mods listed in the 'mods' area accessed from the title screen):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\mods (and the GameMods and HBS subfolders)
C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\BattleTech\mods - I have no "MyDocuments" folder. Should I make one?!
C:\BTMods with the redirect in the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH folder.

And yes, all up to date, files verified.

What the hell am I missing? What more can I do to troubleshoot?

*Any* help appreciated.

my advice is to go with modtek it is guaranteed to work

can you tell me what mods you are trying to get to work

I have only the base game but am not ready to plunge into RogueTech yet, so looking at more cosmetic mods for the moment like BetterHeadlights, MeleeMover to start would be nice. Maybe BTMLColorLOSMod or something similar as well. I would prefer to use mods that can be enabled/disabled without affecting saves. I don't know if Modtek permits this, and there appears to be a lot of old/outdated modtek info kicking around.

I'd like to get just *one* working to start, so I can figure out the base process before adding more as I go.

I have only the base game but am not ready to plunge into RogueTech yet, so looking at more cosmetic mods for the moment like BetterHeadlights, MeleeMover to start would be nice. Maybe BTMLColorLOSMod or something similar as well. I would prefer to use mods that can be enabled/disabled without affecting saves. I don't know if Modtek permits this, and there appears to be a lot of old/outdated modtek info kicking around.

I'd like to get just *one* working to start, so I can figure out the base process before adding more as I go.

these mods should all work with modtek

i will pm you with a link for modtek