• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you want to port it, than I suggest Darkest Hour. Europa Universalis IV would be complicated and it already has antiquity mods, not to mention Crusader Kings 2. EU: Rome 2 is just out, but it will change a lot. The modding is only in babysteps for it.
Not that modern of a game, but still with loyal following is the DH community. For one, there are a lot of modding helps and tips, and a lot of guides for it.
There are multiple maps to use. Some with more details, some with faster play. The graphical parts like icons, unit pictures, flags etc. are really easy to make. (There is a flagmaker for example that does the job for you. Although if you want the best quality, than you have to do it yourself. But for starters the flagmaker is good.)
Coding events are not that hard, but it is beyond me, since I don't like those.
For one you could use pictures for leaders and ministers and event pictures are easy.
If I could vote for a more modern and shinier game with longer modding process, or a bit older with considerable guide and easier work, than it is easy to choose.

One thing ive noticed is that egypt is *very* unstable as a country in this mod, if it ever goes to war for like...longer than year, it explodes with revolts. Too many provinces in egypt or what do you intend to do to solve this particular issue?

edit: and im interested in your mod, obviously.

Thank you for your opinions. This is very important for me.

Nein, I haven't played EU: Rome (and other 3D games of Paradox Interactive). Maybe I should check it.

Khor, I don't think that Darkest Hour is a good choice of a game for the modification about antiquity. I played Darkest Hour a lot and even have done several modifications for it (also with corrections for better historisity) for myself. I think that the recourses-system and the trade-system of DH will be ridiculous in such mod: any country can trade immediately with any country all over the world). And who will be all the ministers of every tribe? What pictures will they have? I thint that DH is a very good basis for a kind of wargame, but really can't imagine antiquity-mod for it. Maybe, that is my narrow-mindedness, and I don't understand a lot. In addition we need a lot of artworks (I think that using of NATO-counters for phalanx or tribal militia is funny and ridiculous). I'm not an artist.

Scar_Face, yes, we have a problem with revolts in Ptolemaic Egypt. Situation was even worse. I had been already forced to add Egyptian culture from the beginning of the scenario (I wanted to give it only after the event about the appearance of regiments of the native Egyptians in the Ptolemaic phalanx before the Battle of Raphia). I'll try to change something via changing parametres of the domestic policy of the Ptolemaic Kindom. To be honest, so far I don't see an opportunity to rectify the situation without sacrificing historicity. I don't think that changing Ptolemaic Kingdom's religion to Egyptian is a correct decision.

Here is what I have done during this few days: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bhezc3m3q3hl5e2/History_of_Rome.zip/file
A little Chinese update. Three new countries: Donghu (northern tribal federation); Minyue and Ouyue (Dong'Ou) (kingdoms of the Yue refuges from Yue kingdom, which was annexed by Chu in 334 BC). Several new events for different Chinese countries. New monarchs. New leaders (for Qin, Wei, Minyue, Ouyue). Parameters for seven provinces in China were defined (included into the main geographical scheme). China is the most difficult region for me (along with India) to have a deal with, but it's very interesting. Several fixes. New descriptions for several countries. New pictures for countries and events. I have changed the name "Ptolemy" to "Ptolemaeus", cause we use Latinized forms of the names in other cases. "Ptolemy" is modern English variant, am I wrong?

First things to do:
— More events for the Samnite wars and other wars of Roma. More Roman leaders. I have given little attention to Roma by now. The name of our modification is "History of Rome" after all.
— events for the Galatian invasion of the Balkans. It is not easy to simulate this invasion. This is what I'm thinking about at now. We have several variants how to do this: use already existed Volcae Tectosages state; use only rebellions; use Galatia state (which at now emerges only in Asia Minor after several events); create new country for the Celts, who invaded Greece. It would be interesting for me to hear your opinions on how to simulate this invasions.
— Events for Qin's unification of China.
— Events for Carthage.
— Arsacid conquests.
— Events for the spread of buddhism.
— Maybe, events for the revolt and the establishment of the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom.

Still have not created proper region for Serica and Sinae areas. Don't see any name for it in the works of Claudius Ptolemaeus. I'm trying to create correct name for it. The variants: "Asia Ulterioris", "Asia Orientis", "Serica et Sinae",..

Last edited:
The new version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/it0z0bbp6xlpo0z/History_of_Rome.zip/file
New country: Cyzicus (Kyzikus) polis, it can revolt or become a vassal. New events for Pandya, Egypt, Maurya Empire, Sinhala, Kalinga, Samnites, (Go)Joseon, Roma, Pergamon, Seleucids, new random and provincespec events. New region: Wa, it is an old Chinese name for Japan, the oldest recorded name; I use it instead of any Roman or Greek toponyms because I have not found any suitable ancient European term for Japan. Picts were renamed to Caledonii, Sinhala was renamed to Anuradhapura Rajadhaniya. Korean culture was renamed to Koreanic culture. Many provinces and cities were redefined, more provinces were included into the main geographical scheme in India, Korea and Kush. Especially many fixes in Egypt and Kush. All Egyptian provinces were completely revised. More pictures and descriptions. All event-pictures were fixed for correct displaying. New leaders and monarchs ((Go)Joseon, Jin, Kush). Macedonian culture for Cyrenaica; Yayoi culture for Jin. Minor fixes, changes and additions.

I have finally changed the name of the Bantu culture to the Negroid culture, because we need not only Bantu but also other languages from the Niger-Kongo family: Gur, Kwa languages, Mande,.. If you think this is a bad name for African culture, please, propose any variants (we can always divide this big culture on several minor).

I have found this beautiful source: http://dare.ht.lu.se/ (yes, I'm slow) and I am using it now for correction of the cities and mines on our map. However, this source has contentious moments. For exaple, I can't find any other sources about marble quarries in Ibiza and in Rhodes. I also can't find the transcript of a number of abbreviations for mines.
By the way, can I somehow contact with the person who made our map?

There is a question about cotton in Egypt and Kush. Cotton became important in Egypt only about the 1st century AD (came from Persia and India). There was no cotton in Egypt before this date. Our modification covers both periods: without and with cotton production in Egypt. According to the name of our modification, our scenarios should end at least at 476 (480) AD (1229 (1233) AUC). As far as I know, we can't change goods in province via any scripts, can we? I want to hear your opinion. So far I have removed the cotton from Egypt.

Can somebody help me with the event "Berenice Troglodytica" (20063) for Ptolemaic Egypt (file Specific_Egypt.txt)? It should give Greek (Hellenic) culture to the province Berenice (692), but gives Macedonian culture instead for some reason. There is no even word "Macedonian" in the scripts of this event. In the description of the event-button "Let's do it" in-game we see proper Hellenic culture. But event do it wrong. It works properly (gives proper culture) only if we fire it for the second time. Similar event "Myus Hormus" (20064) works properly and give Hellenic culture to the province Leukos (699).

Last edited:
OK.
Here is the new one: http://www.mediafire.com/file/snlmzlfqeo5ztna/HistoryOfRome.zip/file

New countries: Lihyan (Arabian kingdom in northwestern Arabia around oasis Dedan), Chalcis (Iturean Kingdom of Chalcis sub Libanum; it can be established or revolt in 669 — 845 AUC in the province "Batanaea"), Van Lang (kingdom in modern north Vietnam), Au Viet (Nam Cu'o'ng, tribal federation or kingdom in modern north Vietnam and south China), Au Lac (unification of Van Lang and Au Viet). New events for Yue, Minyue, Ouyue: now Minyue or Ouyue can get claims on the former Yue lands (which were captured by Chu in 334 BC) via simple events in the beginning of the scenario; if then Minyue or Ouyue unhistorically recapture that territories, the new Yue state will be established (the only case in which Yue state can appear in the game). New events for Au Viet, Egypt, Syracuse, Thrace, Carthage, Dalmatae. Olympic events were prolonged up to the 204th Olympiad (37 AD, 790 AUC). New monarchs and leaders. More pictures and descriptions. Several cultures were added for the Arabian kingdoms, two others — for the Histri and for the Liburni. Finnic culture was renamed to Finno-Ugrian. Cultures in South-East Asia were fixed. Dong-Son and Thyssagetian cultures were removed: Dong-Son (actually Dong Son) just duplicate Vietnamese (Viet) culture and was mistakenly placed by my predecessors in modern South Vietnam instead of North of that; maybe we should delete even Viet and replace it by Yue. CoT in Emporium was deleted (to support Massilia CoT). New goods: Saccharum. Minor fixes, changes and additions in different spheres.

Last edited:
There is a question about cotton in Egypt and Kush. Cotton became important in Egypt only about the 1st century AD (came from Persia and India). There was no cotton in Egypt before this date. Our modification covers both periods: without and with cotton production in Egypt. According to the name of our modification, our scenarios should end at least at 476 (480) AD (1229 (1233) AUC). As far as I know, we can't change goods in province via any scripts, can we? I want to hear your opinion. So far I have removed the cotton from Egypt.

You can change the goods with a simple event.
"command = { type = goods which = x value =y }" where x is the proviceID, and y is the new goods.

You can change the goods with a simple event.
"command = { type = goods which = x value =y }" where x is the proviceID, and y is the new goods.
Oh, thank you. That's great.

How do you intend to solve carthages colony manpower problems? maybe set up a seperate carthaginain country that is a vassal to the main tag?

Thanks for the question.

We have three variants.
1. Separate (vassal) country after the First Punic War for the Barcid family ("Brq"? It's difficult to pick a good and correct name (endonym) for it) with its center in Iberia (Gadir, Carthago Nova). Separate country may be a good desicion, many historians consider Barcid policy in Iberia to be quite independent.
2. Do nothing. Just live without Iberian, Sardinian and other European manpower. Usually Carthage have enough manpower in Africa.
3. Maybe, give manpower via events (kind of a bugfix).

At the moment, I tend to the first option, but I need to do more historical events for Carthage before creating separate Barcide state. Hmm... And I think it will be not the worst decision to give some manpower before Punic Wars via events, if the Carthaginians are in the control of the most important cities in Iberia, Sardinia,.. Maybe, random events with manpower in Iberia.

As usual, sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:
The new version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/fic469lxoi8rx6v/History_of_Rome.zip/file
New countries: Ma'in (the Arabian kingdom between Saba and the Nabataean kingdom); Himyar (the kingdom in South Arabia, which can be established after 644 AUC). New events for Himyar, Saba, Qataban, Van Lang (it can now unhistorically became Au Lac, if manage to conquer Au Viet), Ashmaka, Turdetani. New provinces-events (breaches of the Great Dam of Ma'rib) and random events (including three random-manpower-events for Carthage, which fire if Gadir or Barea, or Oretani; Gymnesiae Insulae; any province in Sardinia belongs to Cathage). Now all states have proper AI, not Ai_Barbarzyncy. All provinces of Kush were defined. Many changes in Arabia. I have remade areas in Gallia and Germania according to the model of the time of August, not the earlier one, because we already use later variant of the division in Iberia and other regions. New monarchs and leaders. New pictures and descriptions. Minor fixes, changes and additions in different spheres.

Please, save your game before 5 july 438 AUC, because game can crash doing event 17004 for Asia ("Defeat of Eumenes") and related events. It happens from time to time. I still haven't found the cause of it. Sorry. Maybe, it is difficult for FtG to annex such a big country with many diplomatic relations. Maybe, I'm blind, and mistake in my scripts is obvious.

Last edited:
Hey,first at all Nice Work, thank you for keep this mod alive :)

But I have sound issues, when i install the current version from september, I have no music and no ingame sound :/ I tryed 3 Hours to fix this ,with reinstall and other stuff :(
can anyone help me pleaseee, i want to play this mod so much :)

Thank You

Hey,first at all Nice Work, thank you for keep this mod alive :)

But I have sound issues, when i install the current version from september, I have no music and no ingame sound :/ I tryed 3 Hours to fix this ,with reinstall and other stuff :(
can anyone help me pleaseee, i want to play this mod so much :)

Thank You

Thank You. I'm happy that somebody pays attention to this modification. I'm still working on it, and the new version will come soon.

Sound is switched off in the options (ingame) in my archive. I turned it off for developing reasons (sound effects became annoying to me). Just switch it on ("SFX VOLUME" in options), and everything will be alright. You can also find a pack of music in the very first message of this thread ("Multimedia pack"). Just put "Music" folder to the mod folder and switch music on in the ingame options ("MUSIC VOLUME").

Last edited:
I had an idea for the mod, though I dont know if its implementable or how to fully realize it, but I think you should try to utilize the HRE mechanics to maybe loosely resemble whos considered the leading statemens in the greek world, or maybe simply the post alexandrian empire. Something like that might be interesting?

I am still alive and apologise for the long absence.
Here is the new version: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hqkiqd76ljqnrwo/History_of_Rome.zip/file

New events for Sparta (the Chremonidean War, the reforms of Agis IV, the doom of Agis IV), Athens (the Chremonidean War), Macedonia (the Chremonidean War), Egypt (the Chremonidean War), Hellespontine Phrygia, Himyar, Qataban, Ma'in, Hadramaut, Massalia, Roma, Akragas, Byzantium, Miletus, Ephesus, Cyzicus, Salluvii. New random and provincespec events. Events for the Isthmian Games (every 2 years) and the Panathenaic Games (every 4 years). If you'll find these Games to be annoying, you can delete them in History_of_Rome\DB\events.txt (strings 'event = "DB\Events\Isthmia.eue"' and 'event = "DB\Events\Panathenaia.eue"'). Many-many events were revised, fixed, improved and optimised. Much more will be optimised and improved soon (this is what I'm working on right now — revising the old events and sometimes making the new ones). New monarchs and leaders. New pictures and descriptions.

I haven't made the events for the Pythian Games, becase Delphi is in Boiotia on our map. It will be wrong if the Boeotian League will get victory points from the Pythian Games. We really need separate province for Phocis. But maybe I'll find another solution. I haven't made the events for the Nemean Games, cause it will be one more festival for our Argolis province.

I know that my English isn't good. If you want to help, you can send me information about the mistakes in the event-descriptions via private messages here.

Just recently noticed that some big descriptions don't fit in the event-window, lol. But they do, if I use them through \Localisation\English\events.xml. Every text will be fixed, but I need some time for it.

Scar_Face: Sorry for the late reply. Your idea is very interesting. I never thought about HRE mechanics in such way (Hellenistic way). I thought only about implementing it to the Roman sphere of influence (with Roma as the constant emperor) and the Roman relations with its client-kingdoms or, maybe, with socii. I'll think about your idea. Though, I'm not sure that such system will be historically accurate: the Hellenistic kingdoms giving gold and manpower to the leading kingdom? Sparta and Athens were no more leaders of the Greek world in the time-period of our mode. But HRE can represent the Hellenic League (the League of Corinth) or Macedonian dominance in Hellas with Emperor as Hegemon. I'll try to realise your idea, but in the alternative scenario, not the main one. Maybe, it'll be good system for the small separate scenario about the Peloponnesian War (431 — 404 BC) with the Delian League as HRE. Or for the alternative main scenario. Anyway, thanks for your idea, It undoubtedly will help to make this modification more interesting to play. Please, write any of your ideas here, it will help.

I have a problem with leadernames. Thus, Getae have leader_language = DAC, but instead any names from DAC-tag from leadernames.txt, Getae use "Getae" as the name of all random leaders ingame. I don't use DAC as tag for anything else. Several other countries have the same issue. Can't understand, why. Can anyone help me with it?

Last edited:
@Trmdrg - well done for persevering with this, it's very much appreciated. Best of luck with future versions. :)