• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 3rd of March 2020

Hey! So today’s development diary will be a bit shorter as we’ll have something really juicy to show later today at 15:00 CET. Something which a lot of you have been waiting for a long time and are as hyped up for as I am.

But of course for the ones that can’t wait that long, let’s talk about some of the new features coming in 1.30.

First feature is that the Kingdom of God has gotten a bit of a do-over to not be such a trap decision anymore. Previously it would disable the Curia removing an entire feature from the game as a “reward”. Now this doesn’t really fit with us both wanting to make the Pope more of a power player among the Catholics but also give the Catholics more features to play with.

upload_2020-3-3_9-24-29.png

I’ve seen suggestions on the forum for the Papal States to be given a new tag if they take the decision, but for technical reasons we want to keep the PAP tag around, so we figured out a different way to reward the player. Upon declaring the Kingdom of God the Papal States will be renamed and given a new unique government reform that promotes them up to Empire rank.

We will no longer disable the Curia when the Kingdom of God decision is taken. Instead we will be giving you some new goodies that we will cover more in detail in a future Catholic focused development diary as it will play in with some of the new features we've worked on.

upload_2020-3-3_9-47-56.png

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-11.png

Now as we did this we also realized that the old Unify Islam decision could do some touches up as well. For one we removed the requirement that you need to convert your entire realm. It doesn’t jive well with the name and since the conception of the decision we’ve added several mechanics that require that you keep non-muslims around. Like the Dhimmi or the Janissaries.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-26.png

But as you can see we have also changed the decision rewards. If taken you will now become known as The Caliphate and be given Feudal Theocracy as a government reform.

Next is some more Quality of Life, because you can never have enough of that. It goes a bit in the same vein as the change we did with warning you of that the Innovativeness Gain from Tech and Ideas are about to time out.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-39.png

The alert for when you are about to hit your maximum cap for monarch power have been changed so it will popup if you hit it in 3 months instead of at the moment of when it’s too late. Now when you do actually hit the upper limit it will turn red instead to really try and grab your attention.

And I want to finish with some changes to the Introduce new heir mechanics. First up England starts with 100 Legitimacy again and in cases like the War of the Roses, Granadan Succession war or other similar things, we will instead be looking at claim strength of the heir or check if the dynasty is of the correct one to avoid cheating yourself out of it. Also to not allow you to cheat out of being a potential junior partner in a PU, anyone you have a royal marriage with will gain a Claim Throne CB on you.

All of the changes mentioned in this development diary except the Introduce New Heir new behavior is part of the 1.30 Patch. That’s it for the Development Diary, stay peeled for 15:00 CET for more information! Next development diary will be about the Estates and how we have changed how you play with them completely.

Last edited:
Reactions:
All I want for 1.3 is a fix to the various bugs I've reported that are holding up M&T's development.

I've been thinking...
Can we have a button "ask for knowledge sharing from your ally/overlord"?
It's nice that you can share it, but being able to ask for it at the cost of some prestige would be logical too.
By the way, having a possibility to "propose to buy a province" would be good too, and solve some inconveniences, and not just being able only to sell it.

Paradox should develop a passive culture conversion. One that scales with unrest. An unruly province of a strong culture would hold against the nations, but an accepted culture in a stable country with very few provinces and -10 unrest could eventually drift into the main culture, like in Victoria 2 and their Assimilation mechanic.

I know is an unpopular opinion but I don't think the Papacy should be given the Rank of Empire, not even at the cenit of its power the papal states expanded that much, is supposed to be a small state not a country you can do a World Conquest with. Duchy rank is more than enough to be able to unify Italy and have a lot of colonies if you want on top of that.

Something tells me you don't really understand this game. EU4 is a sandbox game which lets you take any nation in history that existed in the games time period and make them do things they never did. So having the Papal states become an empire is within this games philosophy as again it's a sandbox game.

Something tells me you don't really understand this game. EU4 is a sandbox game which lets you take any nation in history that existed in the games time period and make them do things they never did. So having the Papal states become an empire is within this games philosophy as again it's a sandbox game.
During renaissance (Italy wars) papal states did try to expand, if they didn't expand much its because they didn't have a lot to begin with and were confronted to other strong states, they did annex a few land. Maybe they would have done more if they could have.

There is a difference between sandbox and being disney tier fantasy that I think we all can appreciate with little effort. If you want to introduce ak-47 as a counter unit to the Tercios just because "is a sandbox" I am going to say you no. If you want to go crazy, like for example an Imperial Papal State, use mods they are there for a reason, there is no need to ruin the inmersion to everyone else

There is a difference between sandbox and being disney tier fantasy that I think we all can appreciate with little effort.
Yes, and territorial imperialist Pope is closer to "sandbox" than "disney tier fantasy".

The Popes of the era certainly had territorial ambitions.
If you want to introduce ak-47 as a counter unit to the Tercios just because "is a sandbox" I am going to say you no. If you want to go crazy, like for example an Imperial Papal State, use mods they are there for a reason, there is no need to ruin the inmersion to everyone else
Outside of multiplayer, anyone who doesn't deliberately form the Kingdom of God themselves has very little chance of ever seeing it formed.

Yes, and territorial imperialist Pope is closer to "sandbox" than "disney tier fantasy".

The Popes of the era certainly had territorial ambitions.

Outside of multiplayer, anyone who doesn't deliberately form the Kingdom of God themselves has very little chance of ever seeing it formed.
Ah yes, the country that never in its history expanded more than a few kilometres now has the same bonus of territory control than Russia and the Ottoman Empire. Not to mention that is hard to imagine a bunch of octagenarians engaging in world conquest when at best they rule for half a decade (the average rule of a pope is 7 years), is impossible for a pope to be Luis XIV that ruled for 72 years and 100 days and because of that was able to re-shape the country and engage in complex campaings in foreing countries

Ah yes, the country that never in its history expanded more than a few kilometres now has the same bonus of territory control than Russia and the Ottoman Empire.
Why this particular hill, in a game that allows world conquest as an impoverished pagan OPM?