• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUIV - Development Diary - 3rd of March 2020

Hey! So today’s development diary will be a bit shorter as we’ll have something really juicy to show later today at 15:00 CET. Something which a lot of you have been waiting for a long time and are as hyped up for as I am.

But of course for the ones that can’t wait that long, let’s talk about some of the new features coming in 1.30.

First feature is that the Kingdom of God has gotten a bit of a do-over to not be such a trap decision anymore. Previously it would disable the Curia removing an entire feature from the game as a “reward”. Now this doesn’t really fit with us both wanting to make the Pope more of a power player among the Catholics but also give the Catholics more features to play with.

upload_2020-3-3_9-24-29.png

I’ve seen suggestions on the forum for the Papal States to be given a new tag if they take the decision, but for technical reasons we want to keep the PAP tag around, so we figured out a different way to reward the player. Upon declaring the Kingdom of God the Papal States will be renamed and given a new unique government reform that promotes them up to Empire rank.

We will no longer disable the Curia when the Kingdom of God decision is taken. Instead we will be giving you some new goodies that we will cover more in detail in a future Catholic focused development diary as it will play in with some of the new features we've worked on.

upload_2020-3-3_9-47-56.png

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-11.png

Now as we did this we also realized that the old Unify Islam decision could do some touches up as well. For one we removed the requirement that you need to convert your entire realm. It doesn’t jive well with the name and since the conception of the decision we’ve added several mechanics that require that you keep non-muslims around. Like the Dhimmi or the Janissaries.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-26.png

But as you can see we have also changed the decision rewards. If taken you will now become known as The Caliphate and be given Feudal Theocracy as a government reform.

Next is some more Quality of Life, because you can never have enough of that. It goes a bit in the same vein as the change we did with warning you of that the Innovativeness Gain from Tech and Ideas are about to time out.

upload_2020-3-3_9-25-39.png

The alert for when you are about to hit your maximum cap for monarch power have been changed so it will popup if you hit it in 3 months instead of at the moment of when it’s too late. Now when you do actually hit the upper limit it will turn red instead to really try and grab your attention.

And I want to finish with some changes to the Introduce new heir mechanics. First up England starts with 100 Legitimacy again and in cases like the War of the Roses, Granadan Succession war or other similar things, we will instead be looking at claim strength of the heir or check if the dynasty is of the correct one to avoid cheating yourself out of it. Also to not allow you to cheat out of being a potential junior partner in a PU, anyone you have a royal marriage with will gain a Claim Throne CB on you.

All of the changes mentioned in this development diary except the Introduce New Heir new behavior is part of the 1.30 Patch. That’s it for the Development Diary, stay peeled for 15:00 CET for more information! Next development diary will be about the Estates and how we have changed how you play with them completely.

Last edited:
Reactions:
the Papal States will be renamed
YES! This is great! Thank you so much.

If you're feeling extra generous, would you consider adding a "change_country_color" effect as well? Would be nice to be able to recolor, rename and change ideas of tags as pseudo-formables, without needing to have more tags in the game.

@Groogy
any chance Church Power notifications would get same treatment as Monarch Points?
ie. Anglican church shows yellow notification once points reach 100 and doesn't change if capped at 200. Would be nice to have red one when approaching 200 cap

Would love to see more flavor for the Livonian order!

If I recall correctly, northern Europe was explicitly stated to not be part of this DLC, so Livonian Order probably won't get anything this DLC. However, I do get a feeling Livonian Order will be touched on once the Scandinavian countries get their own mission trees.

Reactions:
If I recall correctly, northern Europe was explicitly stated to not be part of this DLC, so Livonian Order probably won't get anything this DLC. However, I do get a feeling Livonian Order will be touched on once the Scandinavian countries get their own mission trees.

Well, they were thrown a bone: Monatisc Orders will be able to level up their government tiers to Kingdom and Empire as reforms (and some other reforms will also be available to them). All was in a previous DD.

Next development diary will be about the Estates and how we have changed how you play with them completely.
Amen to that.

Upon declaring the Kingdom of God the Papal States will be renamed and given a new unique government reform that promotes them up to Empire rank.
>"Kingdom of God"
>It's actually an empire
:rolleyes:

PS: I'm joking guys, not actually complaining.

You're never going to fix the 1100s borders in Lombardy, are you? Though they make absolutely no sense for a game going from 1444 to 1821, a period where Como and the Ticino were never again united.

Now we need a desicion to rename austria to austria-hungary when they annex hungary...

Historically forming Austria-Hungary happened in 1867, with the Austro-Hungarian compromise, so like 45 years out of the game's scope.
Now Italian unification happened in 1861, German 10 years later, and they are also in the game.

I'd be fine if it would be available during the Age of Enlightment, but rather as a Reform (like that of Reform into Prussia for the Teutons).

Edit: I don't get it why some people are offended by a optional possibility, which would make some players happy, and they could just make the AI never take the Reform.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Historically forming Austria-Hungary happened in 1867, with the Austro-Hungarian compromise, so like 45 years out of the game's scope.
Now Italian unification happened in 1861, German 10 years later, and they are also in the game.

I'd be fine if it would be available during the Age of Enlightment, but rather as a Reform (like that of Reform into Prussia for the Teutons).
they could have more militaristic ideas.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Given Mission Tree of Austria and mission about Australia there they should be given event option to be renamed to Australia-Hungary :D

• 1Like
Reactions:

You know what is in the timeframe? Great Britain becoming the United Kingdom.
Acts of Union decision paradox?

• 1Like
Reactions:

It's worth noting that Italy and Germany existed as kingdoms within the Holy Roman Empire, and were commonly used as geographical terms encompassing those regions, so while their formation was outside of the game's timespan, it wouldn't have been completely out of question for the kingdoms of Germany and Italy to be formed as independent states during this time period.

In comparison, Austria-Hungary emerged due to events that took place long after the game's ending, even if the roots of those events are derived from events that took place during the timespan of the game. A decision to allow Austria to obtain the imperial flag would be more fitting for the game than the decision to rename the country to Austria-Hungary.

Given Mission Tree of Austria and mission about Australia there they should be given event option to be renamed to Australia-Hungary :D
Austria was called the Austrian Empire until they had to give in to Hungarian demands so that the empire wouldn't fall apart. Not exactly something you would triumphantly declare.

What about an event for countries with the Empire govt rank that would rename them to "[Adj] Empire" i.e Byzantine Empire, Ottoman Empire, Mughal Empire, etc.
And then an event that would rename them back if the lose the govt rank somehow.