HOI4 Bonus Diary! - Modding & 1.9 Patchlog

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You should never be able to take Canada when defeating UK and France unless you have troops in Canada. The Allies faction should disband and only capitulated countries should be available for annexation, as in Kaiserreich. Countries that have your troops in them should leave the faction but continue the war individually. Other countries should white peace. Defeating UK, France and the Netherlands and magically puppeting Australia, the Raj and the DEI doesn't make sense. The UK should exile to Canada and wait for the USA to join the war to recover Great Britain with their help. There could be an achievement with it, similar to the Netherlands one.

This is what I said somewhat. I do agree its silly that you get to have Canada, India, Australia etc sometimes get annexed/puppeted in a peace deal, but I also find it silly that Canada wouldn't white peace once the big boys have died. I dont see Canada continuing to fight with the very limited troops it has antagonizing Germany.

I'd prefer, if Paradox is going to be scripting specific corner cases, that they prioritise historical events that are not yet properly represented in the game over counterfactuals like a UK government in exile in Canada. I also think that both ways of representing this counterfactual, the scheme you outlined and the scenario under which Canada becomes a major and must be capitulated itself in order to end the war, make for tedious and unsatisfying gameplay.

This is what I said somewhat. I do agree its silly that you get to have Canada, India, Australia etc sometimes get annexed/puppeted in a peace deal, but I also find it silly that Canada wouldn't white peace once the big boys have died. I dont see Canada continuing to fight with the very limited troops it has antagonizing Germany.

I think you didn't understand me, with my proposal Canada would white peace after UK capitulation, UNLESS there are enemy troops in Canada. That's how Kaiserreich works. Maybe there could be an event for Canada's enemy to ask for white peace if they have troops in Canada but don't want to end the fight.

I think you didn't understand me, with my proposal Canada would white peace after UK capitulation, UNLESS there are enemy troops in Canada. That's how Kaiserreich works. Maybe there could be an event for Canada's enemy to ask for white peace if they have troops in Canada but don't want to end the fight.

Ah ok. I didn't unmderstand what you meant completely. Thanks for clarifying

@podcat and your chief architect(coder). Your balance in the pacific is off and now I understand why. you are using one clock when the world has 24 of them. You are a world game, so that means you have to include a time zone variable in all your time calculations. You already have DayNight Flag and tracking local time on the provinces and sea zones. I guess I just do not understand why you are not using the these fields in the hourly tick to see if carriers sortie or not.
^ please podcat can u try and get a fix out at least by 1.9.1? Currently, there is always at least one major gamebreaking bug in game (carrier fighters dying super easily in 1.5, decryption bug in 1.6). Which means it is hard to enjoy the game as is. If you patch this out there won't be any major gamebreaking bugs (besides any from La resistance) and the game will be much more enjoyable. Even a band-aid fix would be cool.

Last edited:
Does the improvement to invasions affect specifically Allied invasions of Europe or does it make invasions generally more efficient?

Currently UK consistently fails in retaking India on ahistorical, all her mini-invasions are routed one after the other. It is painful to watch :)

This implies that someone tried!?!? I don't know if I should be impressed of afraid or both!?!?
Knowing our Hearts of Iron players, they probably tried posting the Communist Manifesto in MP chat as well.

not fixed altho on our list. Its actually tricky because the whole system needs to run on synchronized ticks for attack/defense... so I cant promise a fast fix as we havent figured out the best way to solve it yet
I've seen that it is possible to change 2 defines to get 4 sorties. You would get a third more air battles also, I guess, but a perhaps there is the same problem with air battles, that you have 2 third as night battles in the Pacific. Wouldn't it be an option for a fast temporary fix until a more general improvement of the carrier battles.?

NDefines.NAir.CARRIER_HOURS_DELAY_AFTER_EACH_COMBAT = 3 -- how often carrier planes do battle inside naval combat
NDefines.NAir.HOURS_DELAY_AFTER_EACH_COMBAT = 3

Such as...?

One detailed example of 21 shermans surrendering to 2 panthers, most of them with intact tanks (that's about 80 americans):

According to wikipedia some 94k americans surrendered and became POWs on the western front, which IMHO is a lot if you consider that americans were fighting 95% of the time on the offensive (usually defenders become POW, if an attacker runs away he usually runs away from the front, so into his own territory).

Last edited:
Now we have every 2*3=6 hours an air battle, as I understand it, Originally it was 2*4=8 hours. In Europe it was 2 daylight battles an one night battle, in the Pacific the other way round. Now we should always have 2 day and 2 night battles. At least I think so, actually the only thing I tested was a carrier battle.

Now we have every 2*3=6 hours an air battle, as I understand it, Originally it was 2*4=8 hours. In Europe it was 2 daylight battles an one night battle, in the Pacific the other way round. Now we should always have 2 day and 2 night battles. At least I think so, actually the only thing I tested was a carrier battle.

Balance across the world is definitely worth the price of extra night battles, and anyway night raids happened all the time IRL. Maybe tweaking the air damage values to compensate? But it shouldn’t even be necessary.

Balance across the world is definitely worth the price of extra night battles, and anyway night raids happened all the time IRL. Maybe tweaking the air damage values to compensate? But it shouldn’t even be necessary.

Why do you think that night battles are happening? Isn't it that he could have meant that we have 2 day battles (which happen) and 2 night battles (which result in nothing happening)?

Why do you think that night battles are happening? Isn't it that he could have meant that we have 2 day battles (which happen) and 2 night battles (which result in nothing happening)?
Yes, exactly that happens for the Carrier battles, but for ordinary air battles, without a naval engagement, there are also night battles, so for Europe one night battle extra and for the pacific one daylight battle extra, but I didn't test this yet. I just uploaded a tiny mod with just this fix: "Fix carriers in Pacific"