HOI4 Bonus Diary! - Modding & 1.9 Patchlog

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@podcat and your chief architect(coder). Your balance in the pacific is off and now I understand why. you are using one clock when the world has 24 of them. You are a world game, so that means you have to include a time zone variable in all your time calculations. You already have DayNight Flag and tracking local time on the provinces and sea zones. I guess I just do not understand why you are not using the these fields in the hourly tick to see if carriers sortie or not.

And as far as balance goes, if you put in historical restrictions on building historical divisions, air units and naval units, you would get the balance you seek.

Watching the tool you are providing to determine balance, it looks like you have europe down pat but the pacific still lacks attention and balance, Japan never becomes a puppet of the US, at least I cannot see it in the videos presented.

Also, I've got news for you. You can't have a realistic simulation of the Spanish Civil War without the ability to recall Volunteers and/or rotate troops in and out. The Italians sent like 70,000 men in total to Spain. Also, the Germans and Italians sent part of their navies to help Nationalist Spain. Including submarines. A lot of Republican ships were sunk.

- Recalculate country major status due to taking over faction leadership after peace conference starts, so that inappropriate white peace and other peace conference weirdness does not happen when the last major in a faction with minors capitulates.

Not ENTIRELY sure what this means, but if this means that if you are at war with the allies, and you captiulate France and Britain, that means that once they capitulate, Canada takes over, and then Australia.... ew

Just means WW2 will never end. Will be forced to fight through the entirety of Africa to take over South Africa, then take denmark to get to Canada... and ewwwwww you have to fight your way to Australia and New zealand.

If thats what it sounds like... already disliking this update.

Of course, if its NOT what it means then I retract that statement, but it sounds like this to me.
Not 100% sure but it sounds to me like the opposite. If the recalculation happens after the peace conference starts, then the peace conference is by definition already happening and you can take all the territory/puppets you like from the defeated side. If Canada or Australia or whoever had become leader of the Allies at this point, it doesn't matter because they'd still be on the defeated side in the peace conference.

Not 100% sure but it sounds to me like the opposite. If the recalculation happens after the peace conference starts, then the peace conference is by definition already happening and you can take all the territory/puppets you like from the defeated side. If Canada or Australia or whoever had become leader of the Allies at this point, it doesn't matter because they'd still be on the defeated side in the peace conference.

This is why I want a clarification about this 'bug fix' because all in all, it doesn't sound like a bug fix. It sounds like a drastic change to gameplay.

I understand that the current peace conference like fighting Canada and Austrailia, and capitulating UK and France SOMETIMES lets you annex Canada and them... that is silly...

but there is no logical way that South Africa was going to be like. "Yea alright. Our biggest friends were just completely defeated and we got a super strong country coming our way. LETS KEEP ANTAGONIZING THEM!"

Again, I dont know exactly what this 'bug fix' means exactly, but I dont think they've clarified on anything they posted.

Probably the new recon companies they talked about in the armored car dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ary-armored-cars-the-new-horsey-boys.1257117/

Quote from dev diary:
We have split the recon support company into several now so that it can be tailored to the division type you have, and the speed it needs to move at because now the speed on the recon company will be limiting the whole division. Meaning that if you scout your trucks with cavalry they will need to move at cavalry speed.
We have:
  • Cavalry Recon Detachment - regular horsey boys you are used to. Cheap, but not that fast.
  • Motorized Recon Company - Motorized, so jeeps and light vehicles. Fast but weak
  • Light Armored Recon Company - Armored cars
  • Armored Recon Company - Light tanks

thanks!

on closer inspection, this is also relevant:

Recon companies give you an edge when picking tactics in combat, and that remains the same. We have on the other hand been rebalancing tactics to make recon more worthwhile. Tactics are now rerolled twice as often and we have lowered the frequency of certain phases like close combat quite a bit (unless fighting in urban terrain).

Recon companies now also do one more thing, they let you generate more intel in combat.[...]

- If pasting in whole of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" into MP chat the game will no longer crash

This implies that someone tried!?!? I don't know if I should be impressed of afraid or both!?!?

The destroyers are torpedo boat destroyer, not BB destroyer. They cannot hold against a whole fleet.
See how DD alone can protect CV https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

We already had this conversation about carrier fleets once before.

You make the assumption that the carrier just sits there clueless and waits for a battleship salvo. Carriers are constantly monitoring their surroundings and they don't sail into battleship range. You also make the assumption that the battleship knows where the carrier is. It's difficult to tell where the carrier is when all you see is a swarm of planes but no carrier. You also make the assumption that the battleship can intercept the carrier. Usually carriers are faster, but even if the battleship is a bit faster, the small speed difference will make the interception take forever, enough time to get support from other fleets.

I say this once again. You can't base an entire mechanic out of a historical scenario. Things played out in certain ways in history due to a much more complex system of parameters, things that we don't even have modelled in the game. Basing carrier mechanics on the few times where carriers failed is like basing tank mechanics on the few times they got stuck in a swamp. Logics should be used to design a mechanic, not specific historical scenarios.

Also, your definition of destroyers are way off. A destroyer is much, much more than just a "torpedo boat destroyer", and they are perfectly capable of severly damaging a battleship.

You should never be able to take Canada when defeating UK and France unless you have troops in Canada. The Allies faction should disband and only capitulated countries should be available for annexation, as in Kaiserreich. Countries that have your troops in them should leave the faction but continue the war individually. Other countries should white peace. Defeating UK, France and the Netherlands and magically puppeting Australia, the Raj and the DEI doesn't make sense. The UK should exile to Canada and wait for the USA to join the war to recover Great Britain with their help. There could be an achievement with it, similar to the Netherlands one.

You should never be able to take Canada when defeating UK and France unless you have troops in Canada. The Allies faction should disband and only capitulated countries should be available for annexation, as in Kaiserreich. Countries that have your troops in them should leave the faction but continue the war individually. Other countries should white peace. Defeating UK, France and the Netherlands and magically puppeting Australia, the Raj and the DEI doesn't make sense. The UK should exile to Canada and wait for the USA to join the war to recover Great Britain with their help. There could be an achievement with it, similar to the Netherlands one.
I'd prefer, if Paradox is going to be scripting specific corner cases, that they prioritise historical events that are not yet properly represented in the game over counterfactuals like a UK government in exile in Canada. I also think that both ways of representing this counterfactual, the scheme you outlined and the scenario under which Canada becomes a major and must be capitulated itself in order to end the war, make for tedious and unsatisfying gameplay.

Last edited:
Realistic speaking, if GER make sealion and defeat UK, ok the king escape in Canada, but after the war IS ENDED for ALLIES! IS OVER! Because the UK for USA are a fantastic "head bridge" for her troops withouth them, the middle east surrender and pass to Axis, with their Oil Axis can easy destroy the URSS, and the Japan not attack USA for their oil embargo----> Roosvelt not can say "We are infamy attacked"

I think a decision could be added to be able to transfer the rebel troops from Africa to the peninsula as it happened in the famous German and Italian transport aircraft a few days after the civil war broke out

There is one more bug/not renamed title in game. If you play as New Zealand and produce any ship. Name selection box contains "NAME_THEME_PROVINCES" for Provinces like; Auckland, New Plymouth, Hawkes Bay etc..

Nice updates! Since you added modifiers for the navy unit leaders, I'd like to point out that there are no triggers to check the skill level of navy unit leaders (the navy equivalent of attack_skill_level, logistics_skill_level, etc.).