• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis. This time I’ll talk about a new feature for our soon to be announced expansion. This is the mechanic we called Hegemony.

The purpose of this feature is to create a greater narrative for the endgame, but there are two cases in which this will become the most used one.

First of all, our goal was to create something for those of you who like to conquer the world, and make part of that more interesting, and hopefully less tedious.

Secondly, our goal is to create an interesting and dynamic last century in larger multiplayer games.

So what is a Hegemony then?

A Hegemony is something a Great Power can proclaim when they fulfill certain conditions.There are 3 different types of Hegemony, each excelling in their own area available to Great Powers. They do come with their own requirements to become Hegemon and you must excel in their specific area. The AI will proclaim Hegemony whenever they can.

What is interesting is that there can only be one of each Hegemon, and a Hegemony is lost when you lose a war, no matter how you lose it.

Proclaiming a Hegemony gives you a bonus which partially depends on which Hegemony you have proclaimed, and the longer you keep your Hegemony, the bigger your scaling bonus gets, and finally when you reach max progress you gain a further finisher. Currently it takes about 20 years for a nation to get their Hegemony Power maximised, but that's subject to tweaking.

A Hegemon can not be allied with one of the other two Hegemons, and all other nations get a relation penalty against you. A Hegemon gets a very nice power projection boost, and will also gain score at a higher gain, while any nation allied with them gets less power projection and score.

All Hegemons have -0.1 monthly War Exhaustion and a +25% to Spy Defence, and all get 10% cheaper power costs when they have their hegemony power maxed.

Let's take a look at the different Hegemonies then.

Economical Hegemony
A Great Power with a monthly income of 1000£ can proclaim this Hegemony.

The base bonus is +100% manpower on all mercenary companies recruited, and the 100% power bonus is +50% Global Trade Power

The scaling powers go up to.
+33% Mercenary Discipline
+25% Trade Goods Produced
+25% Tax Income

Naval Hegemon
A Great Power with 1000 Heavy Ships can proclaim this Hegemony

The base bonus is +20% Naval Morale, and the 100% power bonus is +50% Naval Engagement Width

+100% Naval Force Limit
+200% Sailors
+200% Blockade Efficiency

Military Hegemon
A Great Power with 500 Infantry Regiments can proclaim this Hegemony

The base bonus is +20% Land Morale on all mercenary companies recruited, and the 100% power bonus is TO BE DETERMINED.

+10% Discipline
+30% Manpower
-10% Land Maintenance

eu4_79.png

Please remember that no numbers are finalised yet, and also that the Great Power mechanics will be unlocked by this expansion as well..

Is it possible to take away someonew hegemony?

If yes how?

Do we have more income/heavies/infantry than current hegemon?

Yes they lose it by losing a war

Why only infantry, should it not just be 500 regiments?
I believe they did this because otherwise it would not make sense to need 1000 heavy ships for the naval hegemony.
although i agree with you that it could then maybe be jaust 1000 regiments in generall.

I believe they did this because otherwise it would not make sense to need 1000 heavy ships for the naval hegemony.
although i agree with you that it could then maybe be jaust 1000 regiments in generall.
In the end it is just a rich get richer mechanic which is perhaps not a good thing. Like now the military superpower can press a button and get even more superpowerful. Infantry is the cheapest regiment so it don't make too much sense to base the military hegemony just upon them, the navy atleast need the most expensive ship.

In the end it is just a rich get richer mechanic which is perhaps not a good thing. Like now the military superpower can press a button and get even more superpowerful.

Yes.

That is the intent.

Have i really be waiting one month for… That?

I mean, it needs to be developped, as for now its just looking like "hey, here are some reasons to attack another country so you can get OP bonuses, that you dont really need because you are already the most powerful".
But, well, EUIV is very good now, and there are no spot for improvement at all (…) so i guess i couldnt have been waiting for more.

Too arbitrary to me. I really don't see why a nation would magically become better at something for saying they are better at it. The bonuses are also quite big and uninteresting. A nation that can proclaim hegemony is probably already one of the strongest nations in that category and giving them a huge bonus on top of that?
I speak from SP perspective, so it's not entirely for me, but I wouldn't want to gain bonus 10% discipline in late game for no reason.

The economical one has so much easier to satisfy requirement than the naval one.

this seems like a really small monthy dev diary. Any reason for this. Also doesn't this make big nations just steamroll. Let's say I'm Prussia in a multiplayer and number one great power. Doesn't this make me more OP?

In the end it is just a rich get richer mechanic which is perhaps not a good thing. Like now the military superpower can press a button and get even more superpowerful.
Well you are getting a diplomatic penalty and i guess everybody will go after you, because of these bonusses, but i fear the A.I will not be quick enough in reacting to hegemons...
And then the scale would be heavy yes

On the one hand I like the flavor and sound of "hegemony", on the other I am worried about yet another snowbally mechanic that makes expansion even easier in an eu4 that's already way to easy.

I guess my only issue with this is the same when my stalwart ally suddenly rivals me to just fill out the slots. This quest for the Hegemony really puts a damper on being BFF with another great power while you're trying to PU them.

Status
Not open for further replies.