• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I will be interested to see what those 16 mech variants are.

If there is a missile variant of a Hunchback in the cards, my ideal HunchBro lance will be complete! :D

I am not saying we'll have Airstrikes as part of Update 1.9 but @Stridercal found the following buries in Update 1.8.1:

Just noticed there's code in the latest update for calling in Aerospace strikes.

Has anyone tried to implement this tasty bit of code yet? Does it work?!

: )

2.) A Difficulty Option will he introduced with Free Update 1.9 - a toggle will be provided where the current level of Planetary Stores, Faction Stores and Black Markets being flush with Advanced (HM) and High Quality (+, ++, +++) Weapons and Equipment will remain, or it can be deselected and the game will refer to pre-Update 1.8 Levels of Weapons and Equipment Availability.

Might want to see if the reverted stores will still follow the same tags so it's still easier to find those autocannons that we need but not all the advanced tech.

My problem with the new store isn't that the advanced tech is there. It's that that's all that's there. I can't find a normal Autocannon or laser anywhere.

Less than 2-hours till tonight’s broadcast of Mitch Plays to Win!

It should also be noted that Harebrained Schemes is offering two sets BATTLETECH and two sets of Shadowrun MERCH on Twitter Auction, with the proceeds earmarked for relief off the Australian Firefighters facing devastating bushfires. Bids must be made in $AUD and as replies to one of the fourth Auction Tweets.

F7957534-D7B6-42BB-BCA7-3F44F38B4A26.jpeg

8549C1AA-512F-42B0-9A16-8B837C97F373.jpeg

Do you know where your Redshirts are?

Because Mitch is fixin’ to kill a whole passel of them on tonight’s Mitch Plays to Win! Make sure the ones being led by Mitch are not your own.

Do you know where your Redshirts are?

Just 40-minutes until tonight’s HBS Livestream. Come on out and join us in chat, it’s a Big and Stompy good time! : )

http://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Last edited:
"No sir I don't know where the red shirt is, but I did bring my brown pants."

During tonight’s Livestream, Mitch offered up some more insights into the upcoming BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9

1.) Convoy Mission Fixes: a new Short Range AI Pathing algorithm is being combined with a past Successful Long Range AI Pathing; Convoy Vehicles will now be able to pass through each other as well as the Player’s BattleMechs (though they will not stop on pips if they are occupied; and lastly Convoy Missions will now Auto-Complete if all Enemies have been destroyed.

Taken as a whole, this comprehensive approach to Convoy Missions should address just about every single previously noted problem with the Convoy AI imo.

The video can be found at Twitch VoD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/540789821

Mitch addresses this within the first few minutes of the broadcast.

2.) Mitch joked about Quads and Update 1.9, thereby tearing the heart out of so very, very many loyal Quadists. :bow:

3.) There will be a Time Advancing Feature added to the BATTLETECH.

It was at this time that Real Life jumped up and bit me during the broadcast and I missed the specifics in the Time Advance Feature and whatever came afterward.

Can anyone provide further details?

If not, in the days ahead I will rewatch the livestream and provide what further details I can. :bow:

It sounded like the time advance feature just reduced the wait time between days passing, so there would be less player waiting involved. Not sure if that includes travel time as well.

Another change they announced, there will be a colorblind mode and an option to change the coloring of indirect fire arcs.

The quad comment was some very classy trolling on Mitch's part. Well played, Lord Commander.

During tonight’s Livestream, Mitch offered up some more insights into the upcoming BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9

1.) Convoy Mission Fixes: a new Short Range AI Pathing algorithm is being combined with a past Successful Long Range AI Pathing; Convoy Vehicles will now be able to pass through each other as well as the Player’s BattleMechs (though they will not stop on pips if they are occupied; and lastly Convoy Missions will now Auto-Complete if all Enemies have been destroyed.

Taken as a whole, this comprehensive approach to Convoy Missions should address just about every single previously noted problem with the Convoy AI imo.

The video can be found at Twitch VoD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/540789821

Mitch addresses this within the first few minutes of the broadcast.

2.) Mitch joked about Quads and Update 1.9, thereby tearing the heart out of so very, very many loyal Quadists. :bow:

3.) There will be a Time Advancing Feature added to the BATTLETECH.

It was at this time that Real Life jumped up and bit me during the broadcast and I missed the specifics in the Time Advance Feature and whatever came afterward.

Can anyone provide further details?

If not, in the days ahead I will rewatch the livestream and provide what further details I can. :bow:

My main issue is that my Convoys have been overly aggressive, moving far ahead of the protection of my mechs!

My main issue is that my Convoys have been overly aggressive, moving far ahead of the protection of my mechs!
You position your slower mechs further down the path of the convoy and only proc the convoy with your fastest mech.

I am not saying we'll have Airstrikes as part of Update 1.9 but @Stridercal found the following buries in Update 1.8.1:
: )

I'd rather someone just rip the artillery function from main campaign, slap some cost onto the contract negotiation stage and bootleg it into the career mode like mechcommander.

I'd rather someone just rip the artillery function from main campaign, slap some cost onto the contract negotiation stage and bootleg it into the career mode like mechcommander.

Or, now that there is artillery in the game (such as the mortor), it could be handled similar to that. Just select air strike and move a crosshair across the map just like the mortor crosshair. Then click and watch essentially a mortor fall from the sky.

I'm sure there is a lot to it in the back end, but as far as UI and graphical representation, I could see something like this behaving similar.

Kind of weird to know that I'm almost certainly not going to use any Argo timeskip function. I rather enjoy the experiences of days slowly ticking down to a destination or till my 'mechs are repaired.

SECOND VIEWING of Mitch Plays to Win and FIRST VIEWING of Paradox Interim Report (01JAN2019 - 30JUN2019)... on a lazy Saturday morning... : )

And in the dark of a stormy and unseasonably warm Saturday morning in Anthracite Appalachia, some items are better coming to the Light of yet another Big and Stompy Day:

DIFFICULTY SETTING ADDED - For Career Mode Only, under Update 1.9 there will be a new Difficulty Setting for “Half Priced ARGO Upgrades.” This price cutting will impact both Upfront Costs and Recurring Costs.

NO LIVESTREAM NEXT WEEK - Mitch will be out-of-pocket next week. He’ll be in Stockholm Sweden answering for his timidity in going forward with the next entry on this list. : )

QUAD MECHS - I spent the last 2-days in denial that this following exchange ever happened: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/540789821?t=505s

*moment_of_silence

Yes, I made reference to it Mitch’s mention of Update 1.9:Quad Mechs in an earlier post above, but only in passing and as more of a “Warning to Others” kind of thing. But let’s break it down a bit more here, Ben and Mitch had clearly planned this before hand and MOAR Power to them both for trolling me and others before we could troll them this week. : ) :bow: Well played Gentlemen, well played indeed, : ) :bow:

Ben (aka @HBS_L8Knight) played the part effortlessly and his, “I think the Art Department really nailed it on this one. So Players are going to have...” nearly, NEARLY sent me into stunned disbelief! : )

Of course Mitch was the first one to break character and tell Quadist to “Bell-Ringing” OFF, yet again. : )

It is moments like this one that although painful, endear HBS to me all the more.

Here’s to hoping Hollie (https://hollisketch.tumblr.com/), Czarina of QUADs, will deign to join Mitch (in two weeks when Mitch returns from Paradox HQ) and grace him with the odd bit of Tactical Advice. :bow:

In all seriousness, I believe next week just might be Paradox’s Interim Report for 01JUL2019-31DEC2019. In a good move, Paradox moved from Quarterly Reports to Six-month Interim Reports with: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/466549817?t=612s

While we are not likely to see Mitch join Ebba and her CFO for such a Livestream, it will cover down on HBS indirectly and depending on the topics covered and their bullet points, maybe even directly.

I could be wrong in this estimation, but the dates fo line up quite nicely and as HBS Founder (Co-Founder) having Mitch on Site makes a world of sense to me,

PARADOX INTERIM REPORT - most current (01JAN2019 - 30JUN2019)

There is a lot to unpack here, so please bare with me and add whatever details or correction where needed.

BUSINESS 101: Watching the above linked Paradox Interim Report, we learn that Paradox Games takes new game releases as Capitalization. Paradox does not take it as a Cost until the Game’s Release, when it is then linearly depreciated over its first 18-months of being released into the WILD.

AGGRESSIVE INVESTMENT - for a number of Quarters now Paradox has invested heavily in Games in Development.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO BATTLETECH and HBS: Of course I could be wrong but this would seem to me that during this past Interim Period for Paradox, BATTLETECH passed into its 19th month since release, therefore according to Paradox Accounting Practices, it is now fully depreciated, with all attendant Base Game Costs now being fully realized. While BATTLETECH has long been successful in our Hearts, here’s to hoping it has been successful according to Paradox Accounting Practices too!

Secondly, this better explains HBS’s “Secret Projects” to me. Again I could be wrong, but the cost of development for these is being treated Capitalization by Paradox with Costs not to be realized until these Secret Projects are released.

Yes, I want HBS to focus on BATTLETECH...

...but...

...I am very much in support of HBS’s pursing additional titles given the realities of Paradox Business Practices. And while nothing from Shadowrun may be in the HBS Development Pipeline at the moment, I sincerely hope HBS returns to turn-based Shadowrun development as I think it could be a MAJOR success for both HBS and Paradox.

INTERESTING FACTS
1.) HBS’s new digs in Seattle were part of a 500-pax Construction(s?) for Paradox Seattle Officespace. HBS and Hardsuit Labs (Bloodlines 2) are located across Lake Washington from one another. (Paradox acquired a 33% Interest in Hardsuit Labs in JN2018.)

2.) Being located just across Lake Washington from Hardsuit Labs, the Developing Studio for Vampires 2 may (or may not) shed something light on early HBS Job Announcements for those experienced in the Horror genre of Computer Gaming. Especially seeing as how some level of collocation between such geographically colocated Paradox Subsidiaries, would make sense.

3.) Paradox’s Business Model Places a Premium on cancelling game development before the game’s announcement if the game proves to be non-viable for any number of reasons. Approximately 40% of Paradox Games are cancelled prior to Announcement. IIRC in 2nd Quarter 2019, two games were canceled prior to announcement.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO BATTLETECH and HBS: It now makes a world of sense why Mitch and Team HBS have made reference to multiple Secret Projects (plural) at a few points over the past six months or so. It is just plain good business sense to have multiple irons in the fire under this manner of Business Model.

4.) OCTOBER 2019 would have been the last month that BATTLETECH Game Development was depreciated against its costs of development, if indeed this model was applied retroactively for the purposes of Paradox Accounting and Swedish Tax Requirements. Alternately, The cost of HBS’s Acquisition may or may not have completed its 18-month depreciation in OC2019 - while it is true that for HBS/Paradox there is a 5-year period of Profit Sharing, the accounting for the purchase cost of new studios was touched upon by Paradox’s CFO during the above Paradox Interim Report, and may or may not apply to HBS.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO BATTLETECH and HBS: the timing of HEAVY METAL’s Release in November, can Now be held against a fully depreciated cost to have developed BATTLETECH in the first place. Similarly Free Update 1.9 may cause just enough Marketing buzz and Sales interest in BATTLETECH and its DLCs to help generate a Revenue Spike for HBS and BATTLETECH.

This is to all our benefit because as @HBS_HighCommand has long made known to us, “In Success, ALL is possible.” And now that BATTLETECH’s initial development costs are possibly depreciated, bumps and spikes in sales are held as more purely profit and against HBS Ongoing Operating Costs, rather than Operating Costs and a 1/18th of Depreciating Game.

See I knew I could wring some BATTLETECH-benefit from my retuning to University for my MBA! : )

To me it is important to understand HBS in the larger context of Paradox’s Business Model and Practices. I am not saying there are any epiphanies to be found here, but “apparently loose ends” that have been niggling at me for more than a year now, do fall into place and my patience and understanding of Mitch’s and HBS has increased and expanded respectively. :bow:

Again, all question, comments or constructive criticisms are welcome.

Good analysis of HBS's financial relationship with PDX. Looks like BT is on the back burner for now. As for up tick of interest after 1.9, I doubt anyone who didn't buy any of the DLCs would decide to open their wallets because of a free update that's mostly bug fixes.

Good analysis of HBS's financial relationship with PDX. Looks like BT is on the back burner for now. As for up tick of interest after 1.9, I doubt anyone who didn't buy any of the DLCs would decide to open their wallets because of a free update that's mostly bug fixes.
I see your point, but I better understand why HBS made sure that 16 Mech BattleMech Variants and 8 new Vehicle Variants were going to be in the game.

Please consider... you have the Base Game. Free Update 1.8 whetted your appetite and brought you back to the game because the Marauder and Warhammer were going to:be made available to EVERYONE with the Base Game.

So a not insignificant number of BATTLETECH gamers returned to the game for November’s Free Update 1.8. Now here we are in January and HBS has been highlighting Free Update 1.9’s 16 MechWarrior Variants and 8 Vehicle Variants.

It is my belief that a not insignificant number of BATTLETECH Base Game Owners will return to more actively playing BATTLETECH because of all these Free BattleMechs...

...and for every returning owner of the Base Game, a small percentage of those will be enticed to maybe buy HEAVY METAL for all its Advanced Weapons, or maybe URBAN WARFARE for its ECM Warfare. And of course FLASHPOINTS might see their own sales bump as well.

This is how the Gaming Industry works and have zero problem with it.

As a matter of fact I quite hope Free Update 1.9 sparks a Revenue Significant Bump for HBS when Paradox comes around to examining such things. It just might mean that Paradox will fund more such or even deeper Free Updates... let alone help justify a smallish BATTLETECH DLC or ven Season Two. Right now I don’t believe anything but Free Updates are a realistic possibility, but I would LOVE to be proven wrong, : )

Maybe we, as BATTLETECH’s Community can even think up some potentially viral Social Media ways and means to help bolster knowledge of Free Update 1.9 when HBS is in a position to let us know it’s potential release date.

Any Social Media ideas?

I only got back because 3025 commander edition mod and even there, I haven't used any of its variants because just a third of base game's mechs is more than sufficient for all play styles. I could have just built a Marauder/WHM out of Orions for example - especially when the first thing most here do is rip out the PPC for LL anyway.

Like I said, the only ones who would be excited about new variants probably bought the DLCs already.

It comes down to the Power of Small Numbers and opportunities to entice gamers to return to BATTLETECH.

And guess what?

If nothing is atrtempted, nothing will be achieved. :bow:

By amping up the Release of BATTLETECH Free Update 1.9, even if only among #UsualSuspects of our discord servers, Facebook pages and Twitter Feeds, there will be just that much more BATTLETECH1.9 on the internets, contributing to remembrances of BATTLETECH’s Launch, Kickstarter MERCH and interactions with members of Team HBS, like GENCONs, PAX WEST, etc, or Death From Above and Mitch Plays to Win, etc.

Earlier today, in a post to this very thread I referenced Paradox’s Interim Report. During this particular Report Ebba discussed the fact that Hearts of Iron saw the most play on a monthly basis from its owners than any other Paradox title. Fully one-third of all Hearts of Iron owners open and play HoI on a monthly basis.

As individual HoI gamers, a monthly return to a continuing HoI game is a Small Number.

But taken as a whole, when one-third of all the people who have ever purchased Hearts of Iron, return to HoI for some gaming, all of a sudden the Power of those Small Numbers really matters.

Not to such an extent, but our Community efforts can indeed impact our player base.

Will we see huge waves of returning players?

No. But the Power of Small Numbers can be turned in BATTLETECH and our Communities favor as well. : )

Though I am fully aware, some could care less.

Fortunately there are those who care a great deal. :bow: