• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
bGA95iy.jpg

Was torn between posting this here or in Strange Screenshots. But you know what? The AI has been so on top of their game this run, Ima post *their* CK2 empire!
Don't mind the multicultural Buddhist India ruled by Bengali Jharkhanids. That's just standard human player doing as human player does.

33b76o3.jpg

Revolt aside, the Merchant Kings of Maghreb was one of the more impressive things to come out of the Umayyad Dissolution. I rarely see the AI for their own merchant republics, let alone form an independent republic kingdom. They're doing pretty well for themselves!

JPOxFY4.jpg

One of the coolest early deviations was Sub-Saharan Africa uniting, forming a massive kingdom, forming an empire, and reforming the African faith. Eventually they dissolved, with the Reformed Africans consolidating in Kanem-Bornu while Ghana went Catholic. They lost some land to the Sunnis in the Maghreb Republic, but African Mali is back in business and currently trying to carve a path into Sunni Abyssinia. Best of luck to them, I really hope they pull through. If my violent Buddhist conversions/forced reincarnations ever reach Africa, I want to maintain respected relationships with them.

REQf89n.jpg

England was having a fun time all game. First France took over the entirety of the Jurassic Coast, hoarding all the cool fossils for themselves while England bled into Ireland and the lowlands of Scotland. Then England took back the Jurassic Coast, and bled into Northern France. Cue an inheritance into Italy somehow and now they're the empire of Catholic Europe. Surprised they ended up losing Leon to jihad, but I doubt their Reverse Brexit is anywhere near over, there's two centuries left in the game.

2B7EvcP.jpg

Since early times, there has been a belt of empires: Carpathia, Bulgaria, Byzantine Empire. At times, Bulgaria would be suzerain of Carpathia. At times, Bulgaria would own Constantinople. But in time, all three empires stabilized, and became equals instead of joint oppressors, carving their own independent paths. You can see above how Byzantine especially has made some surprising gains, carving into Scandinavia and Africa.

7zgex2y.jpg

Remember the Merchant Kings of Maghreb? How about the Merchant Emperors of Carpathia? Now that surprises me more than anything! I'm going to assume that acquiring Italian lands meant a vassal republic got factioned into power, but it's still super cool to see it happen. Two large, independent republics! And an empire-sized one!

cokeydB.jpg

Bulgaria's been around for so long that I took them for granted, and was surprised when they "settled". But that didn't really change anything since they went from giant blob to giant blob and kept everything the same. Taking a peek, it turned out that Bulgaria is officially Khazar Jewish, though I do not know how long that has been the case. This world is divided up into three colours, basically: the white Catholics of the West, the bronze Buddhists of the East, and a large splash of orthodox Purple as an Eastern European buffer in between. But within this monolithic purple, Bulgaria stands alone as a dagger of independent Blue. Though sadly, they aren't zealous enough to start converting their lands, so it's more of a mixed blue-ish purple.

UVcpWW2.jpg

Might've noticed, the Greeks actually took the Holy Land for themselves. Not just their Holy Land, but Medina is under their control and Mecca is probably next on the menu. No Crusade was ever launched for Jerusalem, no major holy wars, just steady Greek conquest.

0u3sS5W.jpg

bZnAZJV.jpg

So succesfully, it's just a matter of fact that the Eastern Mediterranean and parts of the Red Sea coast are Greek and orthodox. If that's not Roman continuity, I don't know what is. The ease of their conquests is probably best attributed to the large Shia block that used to occupy Egypt before the Crusade for it. And with the fall of the Umayyads, the Abbasids were bereft of nearby allies long before Buddhism was brought to Baghdad by the sword.

kxKZZIn.jpg

Don't mind Egypt. Just Catholic Egyptian Arpad, as descended from Arpad and Attila.

s9WHlJV.jpg

And this amazing woman is also of Attila's bloodline. As if her incredible spread in stats and traits weren't enough, there really isn't anyone else more deserving to bring Buddhism to the Armenians for me.

The Foix scattered across Scandinavia is just Norway. A minor count just happened to turn them into a tributary. Sweden's trying to be a relevant, independent country, but they can't really compare to Greek Scandinavia. Germany's been pretty solid for a few centuries, as have the Pechenegs. I'm kinduv disappointed that the Mongolian Empire has been waffling about, going for the tiniest of nomad chiefs for the tiniest chunks of Volga Bulgaria at a time, instead of just taking the Pechenegs head-on and spreading into Europe proper. And they keep wasting their time chasing tiny allies of their war target's allies, instead of putting their event troops to use in carpet sieges. I can't even fear them properly, now that they're down to a mere 69k troops, so they better get their horses in gear :mad:

bGA95iy.jpg

Was torn between posting this here or in Strange Screenshots. But you know what? The AI has been so on top of their game this run, Ima post *their* CK2 empire!
Don't mind the multicultural Buddhist India ruled by Bengali Jharkhanids. That's just standard human player doing as human player does.

33b76o3.jpg

Revolt aside, the Merchant Kings of Maghreb was one of the more impressive things to come out of the Umayyad Dissolution. I rarely see the AI for their own merchant republics, let alone form an independent republic kingdom. They're doing pretty well for themselves!

JPOxFY4.jpg

One of the coolest early deviations was Sub-Saharan Africa uniting, forming a massive kingdom, forming an empire, and reforming the African faith. Eventually they dissolved, with the Reformed Africans consolidating in Kanem-Bornu while Ghana went Catholic. They lost some land to the Sunnis in the Maghreb Republic, but African Mali is back in business and currently trying to carve a path into Sunni Abyssinia. Best of luck to them, I really hope they pull through. If my violent Buddhist conversions/forced reincarnations ever reach Africa, I want to maintain respected relationships with them.

REQf89n.jpg

England was having a fun time all game. First France took over the entirety of the Jurassic Coast, hoarding all the cool fossils for themselves while England bled into Ireland and the lowlands of Scotland. Then England took back the Jurassic Coast, and bled into Northern France. Cue an inheritance into Italy somehow and now they're the empire of Catholic Europe. Surprised they ended up losing Leon to jihad, but I doubt their Reverse Brexit is anywhere near over, there's two centuries left in the game.

2B7EvcP.jpg

Since early times, there has been a belt of empires: Carpathia, Bulgaria, Byzantine Empire. At times, Bulgaria would be suzerain of Carpathia. At times, Bulgaria would own Constantinople. But in time, all three empires stabilized, and became equals instead of joint oppressors, carving their own independent paths. You can see above how Byzantine especially has made some surprising gains, carving into Scandinavia and Africa.

7zgex2y.jpg

Remember the Merchant Kings of Maghreb? How about the Merchant Emperors of Carpathia? Now that surprises me more than anything! I'm going to assume that acquiring Italian lands meant a vassal republic got factioned into power, but it's still super cool to see it happen. Two large, independent republics! And an empire-sized one!

cokeydB.jpg

Bulgaria's been around for so long that I took them for granted, and was surprised when they "settled". But that didn't really change anything since they went from giant blob to giant blob and kept everything the same. Taking a peek, it turned out that Bulgaria is officially Khazar Jewish, though I do not know how long that has been the case. This world is divided up into three colours, basically: the white Catholics of the West, the bronze Buddhists of the East, and a large splash of orthodox Purple as an Eastern European buffer in between. But within this monolithic purple, Bulgaria stands alone as a dagger of independent Blue. Though sadly, they aren't zealous enough to start converting their lands, so it's more of a mixed blue-ish purple.

UVcpWW2.jpg

Might've noticed, the Greeks actually took the Holy Land for themselves. Not just their Holy Land, but Medina is under their control and Mecca is probably next on the menu. No Crusade was ever launched for Jerusalem, no major holy wars, just steady Greek conquest.

0u3sS5W.jpg

bZnAZJV.jpg

So succesfully, it's just a matter of fact that the Eastern Mediterranean and parts of the Red Sea coast are Greek and orthodox. If that's not Roman continuity, I don't know what is. The ease of their conquests is probably best attributed to the large Shia block that used to occupy Egypt before the Crusade for it. And with the fall of the Umayyads, the Abbasids were bereft of nearby allies long before Buddhism was brought to Baghdad by the sword.

kxKZZIn.jpg

Don't mind Egypt. Just Catholic Egyptian Arpad, as descended from Arpad and Attila.

s9WHlJV.jpg

And this amazing woman is also of Attila's bloodline. As if her incredible spread in stats and traits weren't enough, there really isn't anyone else more deserving to bring Buddhism to the Armenians for me.

The Foix scattered across Scandinavia is just Norway. A minor count just happened to turn them into a tributary. Sweden's trying to be a relevant, independent country, but they can't really compare to Greek Scandinavia. Germany's been pretty solid for a few centuries, as have the Pechenegs. I'm kinduv disappointed that the Mongolian Empire has been waffling about, going for the tiniest of nomad chiefs for the tiniest chunks of Volga Bulgaria at a time, instead of just taking the Pechenegs head-on and spreading into Europe proper. And they keep wasting their time chasing tiny allies of their war target's allies, instead of putting their event troops to use in carpet sieges. I can't even fear them properly, now that they're down to a mere 69k troops, so they better get their horses in gear :mad:

Damn. That's an impressive playthrough.

What's the start date, if I may ask?

Damn. That's an impressive playthrough.

What's the start date, if I may ask?
Iron century, my first time playing it since it came out after I dropped off for a while. Good/bad news: Byzantines are seriously gobbling up the Red Sea and there's nothing any AI can do to stop them. But the Merchant Kings of Maghreb are eating Mali from the West, so my dreams of an independent, strong, AI Mali are gone :(

Last edited:
I haven't really played Crusader Kings in a little while, so I started drinking one night and started up a game as the Duchy of Ghana. It turned out to be the single best game I've ever played, culminating in my glorious Mali Empire. All kinds of crazy things happened, but two things make me very happy. One, the Byzantine Empire grew absolutely out of control without the influence of a strong regional Muslim nation to keep it in check. Second, I've never seen the Teutonic Knights have any counties before, so I was blown away when their map color was black! Almost made me want to convert to their religion. Almost.

ck2_29.png

I also reformed the African religion! And practically drove the Sunni into extinction.

ck2_26.png

I've been on a bit of a Shi'ite kick lately. After I grew tired of fending off a Crusade every half-hour as the Kalbid Sultanate of Sicily I decided to give the Soomras a shot because I feel I've not played in India enough and I like elephants. I've been more focused on maintaing a stable realm made rich by the silk road but I've taken opportunities to expand when I saw an opening. I seem to have inadvertently wrecked the Islamic world. Through cooperation with the Fatimids and intrigue with the Hashashin I was able to break Sunni power through warfare and conversion. Once the Seljuks, Ghaznavids and Karakhanids collapsed Shia power reached it's apex and Sunni populations began rapidly to convert. Shia Islam is now the vast majority of the Muslim population but I am now the only significant Muslim state.

By using marriage alliances and intrigue I destabilized the power structure of Greater Iran by causing unending sectarian warfare between the fragmented Sunni states and Shi'ite converts. The Fatimids were shattered by successful crusades into Egypt and Jerusalem as well as Byzantine expansion. The pagan Timurids then swept in and mopped up the Fatimids' Iranian territory as well as what was once a massive Fedayeen state ruling most of Persia proper. Most of Africa is now Catholic and the only sizable Muslim state left other than my empire is the Fatimid Caliphate which rules most of Arabia and the Sulayhids of Yemen. For me, I am trying to maintain Shia hegemony in my empire but moral authority is low and I may switch to Jain or Hindu. I've switched around before in order to maintain a syncretic empire. Most of my rulers have been Shi'ites reigning from Mansura but I have also had Jain and Hindu rulers reigning in Debul, which is still Hindu. I dislike ruling large empires but I find myself forced to begin expanding again lest the Paramaras or Timurids start inappropriately eyeing my Indus.
EhFHaxg.jpg

Last edited:
Playing with African Religions Overhaul plus some other mods
ck2_119.png

I'm playing with a nerfed version of Stronger Early AI Christians but IMO it's still too powerful. HRE is about to drive Abbasid out of Maghreb.
Playing with ARO puts me in a very vulnerable place. You don't get HOs after reform like most pagans do (gonna talk to them about that lol). Usually at this point I'm strong enough to take on either HRE or Abbasid but I'm going to have to do a bit more butt kissing than normal looks like.

I've already played CK2 for 500 hours but my last game was something I never had. I've started with Ferrara in 769 and played quiet calm. In 1042 I inherited the throne of Italy. Italy was very large, thanks to many successful crusades. I've had enough power to form an empire.

My biggest luck was, that I've created the bloodline of Alexander and my whole family owned the Europeane thrones. So they started invasion after invasion. Italy is now VERY large. It's really the largest empire I've ever created. The late game was quiet boring, because I had no really enemy. But I used the game to unlock some achievements.

ck2_italy.jpg

Really happy how this turned out. Using ARO again with my mods and some others. Started in Canarias. Raided Ireland and got some Irish girl. I didn't really think much of her at the time besides the fact she was the heir of Meath, but she had the Irish Tanistry bloodline, so I was able to get out of elective gavelkind on my third ruler (I had no hope of reforming at this time, even with mods). Umayyad pretty much took over all of Iberia and all the way south to Ghana but they kept having civil wars and such until Umayyad lost control. Somewhere in there I swore fealty, fabricated a claim on duchy of Marrakech and won the war. From there I fabricated enough claims to reform, and got in range to claim Meath. I steamrolled the Irish and joined an independence faction, which we later won.

Khazaria smashed the ERE and conquered their way to Mercia before imploding. Abbasid imploded but their successor took over Africa, most of the Arabian peninsula and Anatolia. Crusades triggered and I had to fight off the heathens for control of Barcelona. In this mod African pagans don't get GHW until they lose control of certain counties or Jihads trigger so I had to GC for Africa.

I plan on salting Constantinople at some point but the stupid Khazaria turned Catholic so even with the No Interreligious Defensive Pact mod it'll be tedious to try to win now, so I think I'll work on trying to get the gold mines into my demesne first.

ck2_153.png

Last edited:
Mamluk Dynasty (1187–1340)

Qutb al-Din Aibak was a turkic slave soldier and a general of Ghurid Sultanate. He seized power in a coup d'état and invades Jerusalem under behest of Caliph Al-Mustadi.
The new conquered territory was block by Arabian peninsula and Perisia, forcing him separating his empire into two parts.
On early 13th century, he appointed Temujin, a mongol general fled westward after beaten in the Battle of Dalan Balzhut, as his "Vice-Khan". Thus eastern part of empire goes independent de facto shortly after.
However the sultan secretly worships a local pagan solar deity Zun, and what he learned from Jihad also foster his determination of his own independent sect. His sect become popular among the army.
Before an year of his death, he announce his faith and proclaim himself "Dastur"(Sacred king).
His offspring succeed his legacy, invaded Ayyubid dynasty in Egypt. Once again, Egypt was ruled by Heksos.
(Realm of Neo-Egyptian Empire, 1340)
ck2_655.png

(Southern Jerusalem incorporated into a province of the Neo-Egyptian Empire.)
ck2_658.png

(Northern Israel incorporated into a province of the Neo-Egyptian Empire.)
ck2_660.png

This is what can I achieve most close to ancient Egypt without overhaul mods. It's not a huge empire, but a meaningful one.
True Mamluk, not false Bahri.

Last edited:
I lost all my games recently when my hard drive crashed, so my Last Tocharian game was lost. However, I decided to make a Last Sogdian run. 936, Kartir Daroot in Pamir, vassal of the Samanids. Fun time trying to remain Zoroastrian/Khurmazta while under a Sunni liege, but I did it and I've just managed to found my independent Sogdian Khurmazta kingdom:

upload_2020-1-7_19-13-40.png

(it's de jure Kashmir, but definitely the easiest to get).

I figure I'll use the continued chaos in the Samanid Shahdom to continue to strengthen myself. I need all the friends I can get.

filedetails
5677E6781C71ABF4975F0EAE4409CF0BD0BBDC25

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1963030694

Started in Bordeaux in 769 and just kept growing. Wish I could post the family tree but an early...stud...set the game in motion hard with Seniority as the inheretance scheme from pretty early.

Easily my best game ever to the point of flipping the score negative. A totally whopper of a game and the last 50 years took several weeks to play because i didn't want it to ever end.

The amount of Saints, Bloodlines, all of it. I have never had a game that had me reach the pinnacle of succes and have me begging for more.

Now to find a Muslim Count who is the sole member of his dynasty and see if I can make magic happen again. Allahu Akbar!

Last edited:
This screenshot was made to show "Empressive", hence the family tree in the lower left. Also, it doesn't quite show all the land I own, since Iceland has de jure drifted into Pommerania before I conquered said kingdom (just as in the history books).
9C9AB4223A69D818965A7B38A71DAD7A9F843F18

I've actually been playing empresses since 910, so it took over two centuries to avoid the generation skip.

Do you have Enatic as your religion's doctrine?

This was two years and a half ago. I´ve been trying to reproduce it again, but it´s hard to survive as asturias the first 50-100 years. Love the new bloodline feature. Bring more flavour to the game.

D45D97AB7EE3F8F68ADFF18E2EFD60E1BA621781