• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No. :eek:
I've seen things, so many things already... :p
So many things...
View attachment 528861
You’re telling me!?

0E37AB2E-520E-4875-9803-1273C222BFDB.jpeg

I've seen things too. Like there were-

[HPG Uplink disconnected...]

(Pay your ComStar bills, kids.)

I haven't seen the Black Widow yet. Look, I just have been wrestling with the laptop this week as it suddenly developed . . . a minor issue. I'm going to have to suss out what it is, but . . . it's cut down my play time some :)

(Also my post-Restoration save has me making a damn beeline for the Prototype FP now that it showed up again.)
Hopefully you’ll be up, running and even streaming again shortly. :bow:

While my old laptop is getting the job done, after months of having my gaming laptop inop, I finally admitted defeat and took it into my old friends at Best Buy. #fingerscrossed

Hopefully you’ll be up, running and even streaming again shortly. :bow:

While my old laptop is getting the job done, after months of having my gaming laptop inop, I finally admitted defeat and took it into my old friends at Best Buy. #fingerscrossed

It's a complicated... hmm... I'm spoiler tagging it only because it's tangentially on topic to the concerns.

I didn't stream today because I took this day "off" for myself to play through my "First Campaign" (where Behemoth and Medusa, not Dekker, paid the iron price for success) and accumulating data to fill in my spreadsheet for items. But around 6 hours or so after I started my laptop hung for about 2 seconds and then recovered. No idea why, but I expect because I normally don't play it for that long. (I also discovered one contract was consistently causing Unity to throw up its hands and quit working; I don't have crash records for it but it was an Urban contract. I figure the sheer amount of entities was causing it to panic.)

Two days ago, after I left my laptop open before work instead of shutting it down . . . it spat me a Kernel Security Check Error and since then it's been acting weird on boot and/or on shutdown. Poking at the small list of likely culprits didn't seem to throw any red flags, so I assume it's an intermittent issue - the worst kind to troubleshoot. So I'm convinced maybe it overheated a slight bit. Going to have to look into how to open it up to clean it, this weekend.

Regardless, I also have another issue. My internet connection seems to crap out on streaming after anywhere from 90 minutes to 180 minutes - the kbs will just abruptly crash hard even though it works perfectly for the network from all other accounts. So I literally stream for maybe two hours before I have to stop - and I haven't been able to diagnose why since it happens on a wired or wireless connection. I'm assuming it's just a case of the laptop being old.

I also am paying for a new car so money I would be saving for a new computer is diverted into that :) On top of that, still doing CBT tabletop!

In essence, I got a lot on my plate :)

On top of that, still doing CBT tabletop!

I just added the Alpha strike manual to my collection, I've been wanting to get more efficient use out of my mini collection by actually putting some more of them on the table at a time, with a reasonable play window in the rare occasions where I get a game in.

We'll see how that goes.

I just added the Alpha strike manual to my collection, I've been wanting to get more efficient use out of my mini collection by actually putting some more of them on the table at a time, with a reasonable play window in the rare occasions where I get a game in.

We'll see how that goes.

This all still counts as "heavy metal" if I'm not using the plastic ones, right? :)

This is a video game.

Laws of Physics don't apply here.

then why the big deal over things like Physx and games touting realistic or true physics?
your statement is too broad as there are plenty of video games where laws of physics apply.

then why the big deal over things like Physx and games touting realistic or true physics?
your statement is too broad as there are plenty of video games where laws of physics apply.

Okay, let's qualify it more.

This is a game with machines of questionably improbable designs and viability of mechanical engineering, maybe we should not worry about physics . . . especially when they only selectively matter to serve a game-based function? (Even in tabletop.)

Tabletop did not have "recoil" as a mechanic, and there was rarely any consideration of difference between how a 20 ton 'Mech and a 100 ton 'Mech would interact with the battlefield. Despite it being pretty curious how something with five times the mass has the same impact on the ground...

BT has always played fast and loose with the "rules of reality" to suit the game itself.

The joy of BattleTech.

It likely originates from a slightly different place for us all.

I’ve got no problem with the game pointing at a mess-o-myomers with a fusion engine and declaring, “Let there be BattleMechs!”

I’ve got no problem with those Kearny and Fuchida guys and their FTL Drive, “Tally-Ho and to the Stars!” I say. “Luthien or Bust!” I say.

For me the Joy of BattleTech (and now BATTLETECH) is found to the far right of all of that. It is in the Combat itself; the Core Identities of the Mechs and Vehicles (and now BATTLETECH Artillery) arrayed for Combat; the Battlefield tactics and pre-combat MechLab considerations and strategies; the ebbs and flows of battle, twists and turns of fate and the vagaries of War.

For me, more than any question of Physics, the question is, “Does BATTLETECH Combat approximate Clausewitzian Fog and Friction of War?”

And the answer I have found in every Contract, Shipboard Event, FLASHPOINT, instance of URBAN WARFARE and piece of HEAVY METAL is, “Yes. HELLS YES! BATTLETECH approximates Clausewitzian Fog and Friction of War and provides a very compelling CommandSIM for a 3025 Rimward Periphery BattleTech Experience.”

: )

BT has always played fast and loose with the "rules of reality" to suit the game itself.
Yep. Because first and foremost it is a game, not a simulation of reality. Furthermore, it is a game originally designed to be playable in a couple of hours on a rec-room or kitchen table, with a few friends, some cardboard maps and units, and a couple of dice.

Last but perhaps most importantly, BattleMechs as not only working but efficient war machines is the central conceit of this imaginary universe. Without them, it wouldn't be the BattleTech universe, and as such you just have to accept that in the BattleTech universe they are indeed working as described, and in accordance with the laws of physics (they are not supposed to be magical, after all.).

Everything in the BT universe follows from these few conceits; BattleMechs are the Kings of the battlefield, the ranges of weapons are really short because we need to have a small playing area, and the rules gloss over a lot of detail to get to the nitty-gritty: A Game of Armored Combat in the 31st Century.

Okay, let's qualify it more.

This is a game with machines of questionably improbable designs and viability of mechanical engineering, maybe we should not worry about physics . . . especially when they only selectively matter to serve a game-based function? (Even in tabletop.)

Tabletop did not have "recoil" as a mechanic, and there was rarely any consideration of difference between how a 20 ton 'Mech and a 100 ton 'Mech would interact with the battlefield. Despite it being pretty curious how something with five times the mass has the same impact on the ground...

nah i get that and am fine with that.
my issue was that it has been said that this is a video game.....laws of physics dont apply....
i have trouble with that since it is very general and encompasses all video games
programing a video game requires the laws of physics...dont always exactly like what we have in reality...but physics are there still the same
a big deal has been made about video games with 'real' physics....Havoc or PhysX anyone?
also i can name at least a dozen games across many genres and platforms released in last couple years that use realistic physics.

so ya the laws of physics do apply...in one form or another.

Greetings Mechwarriors,

As per mod reminder.
Jump sequence complete.
We've arrived at station Where the Diversions Go. Last stop before the Far Country.
All passengers may disembark now.

Carry on.

Or as ComStar would prefer us to consider Jump Transport...
8A80365C-D155-44AD-9704-183766D2E5F2.gif

If MWO got a melee mechanic I'd find myself suddenly compelled to play... Oh the glorious carnage... I doubt I'd even care that much how screwed over I'd be as I'd just enjoy racing around in a giant mech Ripping and Tearing it's way to daemonhood... wait think I shifted universes there...

nah i get that and am fine with that.
my issue was that it has been said that this is a video game.....laws of physics dont apply....
i have trouble with that since it is very general and encompasses all video games
programing a video game requires the laws of physics...dont always exactly like what we have in reality...but physics are there still the same
a big deal has been made about video games with 'real' physics....Havoc or PhysX anyone?
also i can name at least a dozen games across many genres and platforms released in last couple years that use realistic physics.

so ya the laws of physics do apply...in one form or another.
I would posit that your definition of what "the laws of physics don't apply" applies to is overly broad, and should be narrowed for proper context and meaning.

I would posit that your definition of what "the laws of physics don't apply" applies to is overly broad, and should be narrowed for proper context and meaning.

I wouldn't worry about that, the laws of physics don't apply to it.

I wouldn't worry about that, the laws of physics don't apply to it.
Little known fact: The laws of physics works much like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal*; if you don't acknowledge them, they don't apply to you.

* A beast so stupid, it believes that if you can't see it, it can't see you..