• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Imperator Dev Diary 12/06/2019 - Modding Part 2: Music!

g4_rGypR-IIjTuqBUuUE-bpBJet4tV05FO5aAYhQCYzrVX9sWVRyJSmSqsMp99lXwKiVJAxC8exRWJwrb0idkAPCZubuMiiMyBB_01_JD3yW-a_HAUvtyRx214CEbMm-gjNbWQrA

Music Modding

Brief

Starting with version 1.3 Livy, Music Modding is now available on Imperator!

This is made possible thanks to a crucial under the hood improvement introduced by updating the Music System internally to a new version of our JominiMusicManager and also updating Fmod to version 2.x. Players won’t immediately notice any differences to the music playback, but there’s a bunch of cool stuff that this new Music System brings with it and we hope to make use of them more in the future.

The long story short is that one of our talented programmers (Will Jordan) has found a way to use the API from Fmod to playback mp3s, ogg, (or pretty much whatever audio filetype that FMOD supports) directly using just a filepath! For modders this means that if you want to add or replace music to the core game, it is as simple as adding a folder with the songs, adding a new txt file with music definitions and boom, all those tracks are now going to be available inside the game music player.

z8ZOQ4kwPqYt9Fd_pg_qDzLHl4VqHujoHnUXeQxSQvk2CA3QOq5G-_YRIdnCigW-f8ZLRIFCFxlQRN6TvJgVMqr4fnRDnS9FMd4znCFDRwva7jRGoaF_4BZKUUleoe2q3F1HVbKs

Try the Mod!
If you want to try it out yourself, a new mod has been uploaded to Steam today that adds all the soundtrack from
"Europa Universalis Rome" and changes the main track to be the one that shipped with the 2008 version. It should automatically extract itself on the “Documents > Paradox Interactive > Imperator > mod” folder, and from there you just need to enable it through the PDX launcher on Steam and then make sure the build is 1.3+ .

Also, with these new MusicManager comes new Debug Tools: Such as Music.PlayTrack nameOfTheTrack , Music.Pause, Music.Reset and Music.Weight which are all quite handy to test out specific songs, check spacing and pauses between them and so on. More info on that upon request ;)

PDX Launcher
Bs-pGv3ryosdnIlDBVot8gadosN_n9zg8tzkZlj_Vjx7_ht4PaHkqsbRlczV_cR6WH6ySRI-H4lGW4MDf0rk0VMI5xTRmBLvT0a-sEUVN5lmawSzWivU_KwK_9jZpgh1dfu1PRDU

Mod Contents

DoJ6ZyUJyCwjYz3i9ExWGCSJUKKRxBo0dFbVva0NvVU8tNyOi_xIb15u_s1GjtASdiseSTyrSLv5xQUGhnlvUTPIsnFptH6_CN-PRPup7y1GpWDazZw3D_lZNxB36CjEjQ1lp38R

ZtlEv4J8A9iShiSi7BMJLMAQu7GDEronevLTqrGh0W2dX1L8_l7Y-hoNR4ceITPbJUaxoPztPBRysrL8eiscaKTNXr78LTMYJCOGV17f_EYAgBvPGBYKJQumK8MFSONH4-htvTse

(These files will be added inside the game’s music folder, overwriting the main theme definition, and appending the extra songs)

Summary
When we started thinking about supporting Audio Modding for Imperator, we looked at what our community requested the most and prioritized our scope around that.

We learned then that the highest requested feature was to be able to add more music to the base game.

Also, we wanted to make it as simple as possible for anyone.

Adapting new tech and methods tends to create friction, and Fmod is an amazing tool that enables us to make our games sound even better, but from a modding perspective it definitely looks quite different to what our community has been accustomed to through all these years. Therefore, by providing a simple way that is as straightforward and familiar as it ever was, we hope Music Modding will be very well received and motivate any of you to create and share your own music mods.

So join us on a trip down memory lane and download this music mod that automatically adds an additional hour of music to the base game:

Europa Universalis: Rome Music Mod
Download Link

Europa Universalis: Rome Soundtrack
Composed by: Andreas Waldetoft

• Main Theme - Legions of Rome
  • Rome Goes to War
  • Riding to Battle
  • Auxiliaries
  • Rome is the Light
  • The Senate
  • Eagle Fly North
  • The Field
  • Vae Victis
  • To Victory
  • Citizens
  • Barbarians Approaching
  • Battle of Zama
  • Elysian Fields
  • Grief
  • All Trade Routes Lead to Rome
  • Rock and Rome
  • Imperator
  • Victorious - Rome Finale

Total runtime: 70 minutes

1) GREAT! I've always wanted the EUR OST, IR's. while very good indeed, was not as epic as EUR's. that games OST was just on a whole new level.

2) So when are we getting the ingame track manager(that exists in every other PDS game)????

Last edited:
Reactions:
Getting to listen to good music is one of the main reasons why I play GSG. I:R has good music, but not nearly enough and what is there is often kind of samey. Being able to add new music via mods will significantly increase my playtime, I think.

Reactions:
Is this Achievement friendly, or will adding music mean that you can't earn achievements?

Now that we are talking about music. Is it intede that while you start up the game there is no music during the loading screens? It allways seems a bit of a strange silence to me.

@Audiomancer - thank you for this, Andreas Waldetoft is one of the best composers that I know (on top of him, IMO, are only Kirill Pokrovsky, Darren Korb and Marcin Przybyłowicz).

One very important question though: when can we expect to hear main theme during loading game? You know, like a most NORMAL thing one could expect from a game on its audio side - is this like a bug or you intentionally made so that we only hear main theme once we see main menu? For me, it's hilarious. Music during game launching is there to make you immerse, start thinking about your gameplay. It works like that with every other PDS game. What is wrong with Imperator??

Reactions:
2) So when are we getting the ingame track manager(that exists in every other PDS game)????

How this was not noticed and overlooked is absolutely beyond me...
It was one of the first things to pop up in the mod workshop ffs!

No, it was not "overlooked" it was intentionally left out, to quote PDS:

"Just like every other PDS game, it will come after launch"

In that case I shall retract my criticism.
Though as someone who bought HOI4 on release, I seem to recall the music player being present on release; or maybe that's my memory playing tricks.
Either way, fair is fair, and if true then I recant my statement.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Though as someone who bought HOI4 on release, I seem to this IT had it on release; or maybe that's my memory playing tricks.

I hope they not only do the standard track manager but copy the HOI4 Radio system.
The option to quickly turning on and of music by themes and mods is even cooler than the standard PDX track manager system.