Gestalt rework - Purpose, Restlessness, Unifactions, and Deviancy

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spaceception

Dyson Cloud Technician
14 Badges
Jan 25, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
Gestalt's could do with a nice rework. And I've been getting some ideas lately.

Purpose
  • Hive minds should be able to choose 1 ethic point, this is their "purpose." I'm not really sure what Materialist/Spiritualist Hives should be able to do, since you can't make them cyborgs or psionic, but for the others it could work fine I think.
  • This also gives the potential for new mechanics and civics to further diversify them. Xenophile Hives may want to fit in as much as possible. So they'd want to get migration treaties with everyone (you could get unity and society research points, and/or bonuses for each species you get). And if there was ever a reason for giving Gestalts trade, this would be it.
  • Xenophobe/Pacifist Gestalts could get a civic "similar" in some ways to Inwards perfectionist. A Xenophobe Hive would have very limited diplomacy with everyone, except maybe other Hives. A Pacifist Hive may tolerate diplomacy more with other Empires, but both would be against going to war if they can help it.
Restlessness
  • This is basically the "happiness" modifier for Gestalts. But it works in the opposite direction, the higher it is, the worse they'll "feel."
  • Having low restlessness means that they're more likely to remain mindless drones, toiling in whatever they're doing. But the higher it is, the sharper deviancy could rise (compared to crime in regular Empires)
  • Restlessness rises from deviating from their purpose. Going to war as a pacifist, avoiding it as a Militarist, and so on. But it's lower if you don't go against it, and near-zero if you abide by it.
  • Low planetary restlessness should result in planets having higher stability, unity, and pop growth.
Unifaction
  • Since Gestalts only have one purpose, and hence one faction, I think the best way to handle this is to make the one faction you do get really hate going against their purpose, and really liking when you do. Unlike other Empires, this faction is there at the start of the game.
  • If you continuously go against them, it'll cause a spike in restlessness and deviancy. To the point where they could begin doing things that try and get them back on track.
  • For example, are you in an offensive war as a Pacifist? Enjoy some debuffs to weapon fire rate, ship build speed, and army morale! But if you remain at peace, you could get a temporary modifier every x years, raising growth speed, and unity gain.
  • The less restless you unifaction is, the more influence you gain.
  • There could be an option to change your purpose, and hence your unifaction, but it should be a painful process for your Empire.
Deviancy
  • Deviant drones are largely caused by you going against their purpose, though sometimes it can be regular deviant drones.
  • When your unifaction has high restlessness, most, if not almost all of your pops will be deviant, so handling them will need new mechanics and decisions. Armies would be required to maintain peace, and you shouldn't be surprised if you start facing more debuffs, and even getting events like a Queen being killed and replaced if you don't correct your Empire's course.
And going further on the topic of civics from earlier, I'd like to reiterate my support for a loose version of Inwards perfectionists, and even a Hive mind version of Driven Assimilator.

Any thoughts or changes to make?

Upvote 0
I'd rather see gestalts get their own ethics ring inside the normal ethics, with the Gestalt ethic acting more like a toggle between the two rings. These would be called Personalities, and hives and machines would be able to pick two of them. To make up for that, they would split the bonuses between a normal ethic and a fanatic one. It would look something like this (I made these mockups for an internal politics expansion idea I haven't posted yet):

Normal empire:
upload_2019-12-5_18-2-42.png

Gestalt empire:
upload_2019-12-5_18-3-6.png

The personalities would be (names and effects tentative):
  • Passive (pacifist)
  • Aggressive (militarist): Hostile Exclave policy must be set to Belligerent
  • Introverted (xenophobe): must purge or displace aliens
  • Extroverted (xenophile): can grant aliens the Guest citizenship (all others barring Introverts can only give them Outsider citizenship)
  • Introspective (spiritualist)
  • Curious (materialist): unlocks Test Subject slavery type, giving +1 research per pop
  • Centralized (authoritarian): reduced happiness for all non-gestalt species in empire
  • Decentralized (egalitarian): increased happiness for all non-gestalt species in empire

The personalities would be (names and effects tentative):
  • Passive (pacifist)
  • Aggressive (militarist): Hostile Exclave policy must be set to Belligerent
  • Introverted (xenophobe): must purge or displace aliens
  • Extroverted (xenophile): can grant aliens the Guest citizenship (all others barring Introverts can only give them Outsider citizenship)
  • Introspective (spiritualist)
  • Curious (materialist): unlocks Test Subject slavery type, giving +1 research per pop
  • Centralized (authoritarian): reduced happiness for all non-gestalt species in empire
  • Decentralized (egalitarian): increased happiness for all non-gestalt species in empire
That works too! I think most of my idea works with that as well. But I was just working with the ethics we had. And I like the icons you drew up, they look nice.

EDIT: I re-read it, and noticed the two ethics points. Within your idea, I think two factions could work as well, contesting for dominance over the Hive. Then you could get more unique Deviance and Restlessness effects and events.

Last edited:
New ideas
So I got some more ideas, if there were 2 instead of 1 purpose or personality, as brought up by G S Palmer

2 purposes
  • I'm thinking that it may be better if they contested over which had the majority over the Hive, rather than trying to keep them equal.
  • You may want to work on making one happy, and one closer to the middle, but there could be internal factors and things you do that pushes this out of balance
  • Following things from other purposes (say aggressive as decentralized/introspective) will give them minor restlessness, but you should be able to counter that on more developed worlds.
  • Going against it should definitely be bad though.
Doufactions
  • Instead of really liking when you follow their ideals, they just like it. And you still get more minor buffs for keeping them restful.
  • I think this may actually be good as part of a political update, factions you make happy will give you minor buffs, while unhappy ones will give you minor maluses. So you need to keep an eye on the positive factions, and learn to work around the ones that aren't.

Purpose
  • Militarist — War (+20% fire rate, +5% unity from rival or war)
  • Xenophobe — Purification (3 unity from purged pop, +50% pop monthly decline speed)
  • Egalitarian — Drone mass/size increase (+100% army damage&cost, organic starships)
  • Materialist — Body way (+5% research speed, +20% biology research speed, x1,5 biology weight)
  • Pacifist — Peace (+10 stability, +75% starbase hull points)
  • Xenophile — Assimilation (raiding orbital bombardment stance, can assimilate organics, slave market is open, livestock can add hybrid species (hi, Kroot))
  • Authoritarian — Drone mass/size decrease (-50% army damage&cost, +20% pop growth)
  • Spiritualist — Mind way (latent psionic trait, transcendence is unlocked)
But it can be put in civics.