• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #162 - New Diplomatic Features

Hello everyone!

Today we thought we’d talk about some of the smaller changes coming to diplomacy with the free 2.6 update. Although the Galactic Community and the reworked federations are sure to have a large impact on galactic diplomacy, it's also important to talk about the smaller things!

Envoys
One of the more important things we’ve added are the Envoys. Envoys function very similar to Diplomats in EU4, and they are required for certain diplomatic actions such as:
  • Improve / Harm Relations – it is now possible to send an Envoy to improve or harm relations which can affect Opinion by up to (-400 / +400 ). More on Opinion and Relations later.
  • Assigned to Federation (to increase monthly Cohesion by +1)
  • Assigned to Galactic Community (to increase Diplomatic Weight)
upload_2019-11-28_10-28-45.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-6.png upload_2019-11-28_10-29-20.png

Although Envoys are characters, they do not currently have any character-mechanics such as traits. We didn’t think it would be fun to have to micromanage and switch Envoys around to better fit certain jobs depending on their traits.

Diplomacy Interface Updates
We’ve finally gotten around to give a bunch of diplomacy-related interfaces a facelift! First up, let’s talk a little about the general diplomacy screen.

You are now able to more clearly see things such as Civics, Origins, Relative Power breakdowns, your ongoing diplomatic agreements, and also the new diplomatic stances!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-2.png

This Hegemonic subordinate was kind enough to act as a model for the new diplo screen!

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-30.png

Declaring rivalry never looked so appealing.

upload_2019-11-28_10-30-57.png

The diplomatic offers are now a bit more clear on what is going on (not final text). A downside, however, is that it's now much harder to fool colleagues into becoming your vassal in our internal multiplayer sessions.

Diplomatic Stances
Sometimes we like concept that our colleagues have put into some of our other games, and the diplomatic stances from Imperator: Rome were a good example. Although not exactly the same, we like the general idea. We wanted empires to be able to set a diplomatic stance that dictates their behaviour towards other empires on a galactic stage.

upload_2019-11-28_10-31-19.png

Diplomatic Stances are Policies and can be changed once every 10 years. There are a bunch of different stances, and some may also be unique to certain empire types (e.g. Isolationist is called Mercantile for Megacorporations).

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-17.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-7.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-55.png upload_2019-11-28_10-31-37.png upload_2019-11-28_10-32-27.png

Stances are designed to be quite different, and to facilitate different playstyles. Perceptive readers might notice that the Belligerent stance seems very similar to Supremacist, and that is true, except that Supremacist stance is designed for all empires that want to be “a big player”. Supremacist empires will dislike other empires with the same stance, so it is almost like a soft rivalry of sorts.

Stances also have some effect on internal politics, as some of your factions may have certain preferences when it comes to your foreign policy.

Relations and Opinion
We wanted an easier way to measure how the diplomatic relations between two empires is doing, so we’ve added a new aggregate value called Relations. Relations exists in different levels ranging from Terrible <- Tense <- Neutral -> Positive -> Excellent, and they do have an effect on which type of diplomatic actions that are available.

We want diplomacy to be less fickle, and more mechanical. Players should now have more ability to influence what other empires’ opinions are of them. Overall diplomacy should feel less static and more prone to evolving over time.

Form Federation requires Excellent Relations, and pacts like Migrations, Research or Commercial require Positive Relations. Similarly, Rivalries require Terrible Relations. This is also the case in player-to-player diplomacy, so it’s important to maintain a good standing.

Some of these restrictions can be bypassed by having an Envoy to harm or improve relations.

upload_2019-11-28_10-32-53.png

Favors
Finally we want to talk about Favors. Although Favors were primarily added to give players agency within the Galactic Community, they can also be used to influence the AIs likelihood of accepting certain diplomatic agreements.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-11.png

Favors is a new mechanic that allows you to increase your Diplomatic Weight for certain votes or proposals in the Galactic Community. An empire can owe another empire up to 10 Favors, and each Favor will increase Diplomatic Weight by “10%”.

For example – Empire B owes 10 Favors to Empire A. Empire A spends influence to call in all 10 Favors and adds 100% of the Diplomatic Weight that Empire B has. Empire A will add the Diplomatic Weight from Empire B, for a specific vote, without Empire B losing their Diplomatic Weight.

In effect, Favors allows an empire to manipulate vote results towards their point of view. It is not possible to Call in Favors when an empire is already voting the same way as you are. Multiple empires can call in favors from the same empire, and it's designed in this way to reduce the complexity of having to figure out which favors should have priority, or which favors should matter more.

upload_2019-11-28_10-33-30.png

Pretty please. You owe me.

In addition to the Galactic Community, Favors can also be called in to increase acceptance chance by +5 when offering certain diplomatic deals.

Favors can be gained through diplomatic trades, or or some cases randomly through events.

---

That is all for this week! Next week we’ll be back with some more details on the Juggernaut and the Mega Shipyard.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I actually would like the option to have some envoys be visible characters. It could be a cool mechanic of having governors of former territories act as envoys or former rulers serve as members of the galactic senate for bonus relationship points.

Ooooh, that's a meaty DD! Let's see:

- I am glad that diplomacy is now something that you need to invest resources on and actively work towards it
- Diplomatic stances sound fun but they need to be better balanced (see also the "expansionist" stance)
- The whole envoy mechanic, while interesting, also shows that the leader system is in dire need of a massive rework. Like, seriously guys.
- Extra envoys for xenophiles and (a lot of) extra diplomatic weight for pacifists seems like quite tematically fitting bonuses :) (or vice-versa)
- Favor mechanic looks great, but how does one gain favors in the first place? I also cannot stop thinking that by tieing favors to diplomatic weight is a wasted opportunity for allowing smaller empires to punch above their weight

I'm sorry to say that although I like some parts (for instance the UI directly showing the breakdown of relative power levels) on another matter this new UI seems like a downgrade to me: you can no longer see the other empire's opinion and trust of you without hovering over "Friendly" and enabling the tooltip. This makes the UI less informative at a glance.

Obviously you've set your minds on using the new UI, so I'd like to make a limited suggestion to at least still see the overal opinion: instead of the empire's attitude simply saying "Friendly", let it say "Friendly: +142". There seems to be the room in the UI for that, and it's a simple text string change.

I hope likewise you haven't removed the green birdie or red cross showing you at a glance what deals the AI will accept, without having to actually propose them.

On a positive note, Diplomatic Stances should make for easier AI modding. Nice!

Although Envoys are characters, they do not currently have any character-mechanics such as traits. We didn’t think it would be fun to have to micromanage and switch Envoys around to better fit certain jobs depending on their traits.

Actually I think this is a shame. There are opportunities for emergent stories here.

If we have a leader with Arrested Development we could “promote” them to the diplomatic service. I see your point about micro managing Envoys not being fun, but avoiding Envoy traits prevents the micromanaging, giving Envoys traits allows the player to choose wether or not to micromanage them (just like I could micromanage my scientists, but don’t).

We could also have events where Envoy A could cause/prevent a diplomatic incident and gain traits. There are also events which affect relations between empires and Envoys could play a role in them.

Admittedly CK2 is far more character driven, but Stellaris’s leaders which grow and evolve through the game and the storytelling of stellaris are (for me at least) what separates it from the space strategy pack. Without the anomalies, dig sites, special projects and events it wouldn’t be Stellaris.

Also how do we get Envoys?

you can no longer see the other empire's opinion and trust of you without hovering over "Friendly" and enabling the tooltip. This makes the UI less informative at a glance.
You can still see opinions of your empire on the Contacts list. All of the Diplomatic actions are gated by Empire Relations (the new aggregate opinion), so that seemed like the more important value to focus on.

Hovering over the five smaller relations bars will show your current Relations value, as well as how far you are from the next tier and last month's change.

I hope likewise you haven't removed the green birdie or red cross showing you at a glance what deals the AI will accept, without having to actually propose them.
It'll also show you what deals the AI would reject, but you have enough favors to get them to approve.

To whom it may concern:
Please allow us, for the Blorg's sake, to build gateways in allied space.
Absolutely.

In fact a cool resolution for the Galactic Council would be "The Gateway Intiative" that reduces build time of gateways and predisposed the AI to prioritize at least the construction of at least one.

Also, ther should be a policy selection on who can and can't use your gateways. So "no access", "neutrals", "federation members only". Or something like that.

Actually I think this is a shame. There are opportunities for emergent stories here.

If we have a leader with Arrested Development we could “promote” them to the diplomatic service. I see your point about micro managing Envoys not being fun, but avoiding Envoy traits prevents the micromanaging, giving Envoys traits allows the player to choose wether or not to micromanage them (just like I could micromanage my scientists, but don’t).

We could also have events where Envoy A could cause/prevent a diplomatic incident and gain traits. There are also events which affect relations between empires and Envoys could play a role in them.

Admittedly CK2 is far more character driven, but Stellaris’s leaders which grow and evolve through the game and the storytelling of stellaris are (for me at least) what separates it from the space strategy pack. Without the anomalies, dig sites, special projects and events it wouldn’t be Stellaris.

I agree. And since the work is already done with leaders it makes much less sense not to have diplomatic leaders. Don't get me wrong, There will still be limited diplomatic slots so no hiring 10+ diplomats.

They/we do need the diplomatic abilities, and this means more impact for some racial traits - which is lacking - i.e. attractive / repulsive.
And +1000 for the fact that this game is about emerging stories RP and AARs.

Speaking about reducing micromanagement: when we have such an economic system to deal with, this is a contradiction. I'd welcome the diplo micro any time and it would be a fraction of the time I spend micoing the colonies.

Absolutely.

In fact a cool resolution for the Galactic Council would be "The Gateway Intiative" that reduces build time of gateways and predisposed the AI to prioritize at least the construction of at least one.

Also, ther should be a policy selection on who can and can't use your gateways. So "no access", "neutrals", "federation members only". Or something like that.

And this beautifully lays the ground work for hacking gate frequencies in the future espionage DLC!!!

Also how do we get Envoys?
You'll start with a few. Less if you go Inward Perfectionist, more if you take certain civics. At the moment you can get a couple more from Empire-Unique buildings, Federation Perks, and the Interstellar Assembly.

Will Envoys be subject to leader lifespan traits (if they are not considered leaders) or would they in essence be immortal?
They are subject to leader lifespans like other characters. Their deaths are mostly for flavor since they are immediately replaced.

You can still see opinions of your empire on the Contacts list.

Yeah but it often takes some time to find the empire you're looking for in the looooooooong list of contacts. I find it much quicker to simply click on an empire's flag on the galactic map to start communication and see their opinion that way.

All of the Diplomatic actions are gated by Empire Relations (the new aggregate opinion), so that seemed like the more important value to focus on.

Sure, but often you'll want to see at a glance how far you're away from unlocking the next relationship level. And my suggestion is to show them both in the string, so it doesn't need to be OR aggregate level OR exact number.

It'll also show you what deals the AI would reject, but you have enough favors to get them to approve.

Nice!

AI empires should be less willing to sell you favors if you're currently voting differently than them in the GC.

Also, I saw it mentioned somewhere, but calling in favors really should have an effect on opinion. If you use someone's diplomatic weight to vote for a policy that hurts them, they should resent that.
View attachment 528740
This Hegemonic subordinate was kind enough to act as a model for the new diplo screen!
Maybe I'm being a dumb dumb, but what is the little icon to the left of the planet count? The one that looks like a migration treaty icon?

Is Opinion still going to polarize? "We like you so we do things that make us like you more, we hate you so we do things that make us hate you more."

I'd like to give or receive favors from joining wars.

As in, a weaker empire is victim of an invasion war by a supremacist. Either they offer me to join the war on their behalf or I offer to join, I fight off the invaders but after that they are indebted to me.

That would be fun.

controlling a bunch of named diplomats with traits and experience levels doesn't actually sound that boring.

the traits and XP level could improve the rate at which they generate goodwill/hate and have a small fractional bonus to the federation coherence / diplomatic weight bonus so you'd assign your most venerable elder statesmen to boost the diplo weight and strengthen the federation and send the rookies off to do PR work with some unimportant backwater civs or so.

+15% colony developement speed is horribly irrelevant, especially if you put your focus on Expansion and get the bonus from the same-named tradition tree anyways. Slap some +Pop Growth on colonies onto that, and it may be as relevant as +10% Naval Capacity.

It is for specifically the first 1 or 2 decades of the game where - barring a start with the Federation or Hegemony Origins - you usually won't have much contact with other empires yet. It saves you 5 months per colony, which is significant in the earlygame.

You'll start with a few. Less if you go Inward Perfectionist, more if you take certain civics. At the moment you can get a couple more from Empire-Unique buildings, Federation Perks, and the Interstellar Assembly.

I assume the Empire Capital-Complex will provide some?

What about Branch offices? Will they get a new building - Such as a Lobbyin Bureau - which grants an extra envoys on the planet owner or is this deemed too powerful?