• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiSunflowers

Corporal
61 Badges
Apr 1, 2019
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
So I have a fresh install of manjaro linux and am trying to play EU4. I am trying to run the game at 1080p on my 4k monitor. The game works fine when at 4k, although the UI is too small to read and my fps is terrible, so this is why I play at a lower resolution. When I play on a lower resolution like 1080p I encounter this issue. I also encounter this issue when playing any other titles by PDX such as Hearts of Iron 4, Crusader Kings 2, Victoria 2, etc. I don't encounter this issue with any other games that I own. I have tried this game on other desktop environments like Gnome, and all it does there is autosets the screen resolution to 1080p and makes my mouse sensitivity ridiculously fast. KDE seems like the answer because it doesn't do this but I am unable to play the game at the moment due to the aforementioned issue. I have tried different kernels like 4.19 LTS, 5.2, and 5.3 with no success. I have also tried distributions, with no luck. How can i fix the issue?

Here is my neofetch output

I have also tested this on manjaro on my Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop with the same result.I have also tested other linux distros with KDE and ran into the same issues as manjaro.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also apologies for recording my screen with a phone. OBS wouldn't pick up the error when I tried it.

FYI Ubuntu is the only supported distro for our games.

The game works fine when at 4k, although the UI is too small to read
Did you try using the gui_scale= adjustment in settings.txt ?

I can't see what driver version you have, but this is the latest:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/151568/en-us

I see you are running quite an old version of the game in that video, can I ask why?

Your basic problem is that when you start the game the lower edge of the game screen is off the monitor, is that right?

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/EU4/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

FYI Ubuntu is the only supported distro for our games.

Did you try using the gui_scale= adjustment in settings.txt ?

I can't see what driver version you have, but this is the latest:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/151568/en-us

I see you are running quite an old version of the game in that video, can I ask why?

Your basic problem is that when you start the game the lower edge of the game screen is off the monitor, is that right?

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

Major apology due on my part for not responding before now, I've been pretty busy and haven't had a ton of time for EU4 recently. I regret not getting back to you earlier.

>FYI Ubuntu is the only supported distro for our games

I am aware of this, however I have tested the game in Ubuntu and encountered near identical issues

>Did you try using the gui_scale= adjustment in settings.txt ?

I just did, and have opened a thread documenting my issues getting that to work in this thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ui-scaling-tooltip-issues.1298694/

>I see you are running quite an old version of the game in that video, can I ask why?

At the time of the recording I was using an older version to mess around with a few humorous things which are no longer possible due to endgame tags (examples forming Manchu as the Commonwealth, ottomans into mughals, etc.) FYI the issue is also present on the latest version of the game.

>Your basic problem is that when you start the game the lower edge of the game screen is off the monitor, is that right?

Sort of. When I start the game all appears well until I put my mouse on the right and/or bottom border of the screen, where it begins panning away from EU4 onto my desktop, almost like the game is running at 1080p on the 4k screen but is somehow being zoomed in on, if that makes any sense. I'm happy to clarify further if need be

>Please attach your Documents/Paradox/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .

settings.txt: https://pastebin.com/gtZbgjFZ
pdx_settings.txt: https://pastebin.com/wij1r2B6
system.log: https://pastebin.com/m5MXrc1B

>Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here

system info: https://pastebin.com/5ahJc9Zh

Apologies again for not getting back to you before now. Thank you so much for the assistance so far

I don't see any obvious cause for your problems in those text files, I'm afraid. Both seem to relate to the mouse cursor's apparent and real positions not being lined up right, or rather that in some circumstances that happens whereas in others they line up just fine. Quite bizarre.

What's especially odd is you say you get the gui_scale tooltip issue in Windows too; I must have recommended that option dozens of times to Windows users by now and so far as I know none have seen that effect - I'm sure they would have told me!

Similarly with your issues on Linux; we'd know for sure if everyone got those!

I really don't know what to suggest, in all honesty. There doesn't seem to be any kind of tech tweak we can use to get you past these issues.

I don't see any obvious cause for your problems in those text files, I'm afraid. Both seem to relate to the mouse cursor's apparent and real positions not being lined up right, or rather that in some circumstances that happens whereas in others they line up just fine. Quite bizarre.

What's especially odd is you say you get the gui_scale tooltip issue in Windows too; I must have recommended that option dozens of times to Windows users by now and so far as I know none have seen that effect - I'm sure they would have told me!

Similarly with your issues on Linux; we'd know for sure if everyone got those!

I really don't know what to suggest, in all honesty. There doesn't seem to be any kind of tech tweak we can use to get you past these issues.

Thank you for the response

>I don't see any obvious cause for your problems in those text files, I'm afraid. Both seem to relate to the mouse cursor's apparent and real positions not being lined up right, or rather that in some circumstances that happens whereas in others they line up just fine. Quite bizarre.

This does seem to be the issue. I have partially narrowed the problem down to being something to do with the Xorg/X11 window system's panning feature. If you don't already know, X is the most used window system on linux as of now. The feature appears to be for when the user is zoomed in on something with the entire display (forcing it to render a section of the entire desktop) and to pan around by touching the mouse on the sides/corners of the screen. A useful feature for sure, but as of now I don't quite know why it's activating while I'm running EU4 at lower than native display resolution. I'll keep digging and hopefully find a way to turn it off.

>What's especially odd is you say you get the gui_scale tooltip issue in Windows too; I must have recommended that option dozens of times to Windows users by now and so far as I know none have seen that effect - I'm sure they would have told me!

This is especially odd. I just booted up my windows dualboot on my main pc and tested it again to confirm that it happened on windows as well, and sure enough it did. I have also tested it on my laptop which also has a 4k screen just like my main pc, and sure enough the issue is persistent on the laptop as well in both linux and windows for me. While the laptop is nowhere near powerful enough to actually play EU4 at 4k in the first place, this does hopefully confirm that this isn't a configuration issue on my part. This due to the fact that I have experienced the issue on fresh installations of linux (ubuntu included) as well as windows without any strange settings configurations which might screw up the way the computer renders EU4. I am equally as puzzled as to why other people haven't experienced this issue as I'm sure you are.

>Similarly with your issues on Linux; we'd know for sure if everyone got those!

I have no doubt that you would be aware of more widespread issues, and I would be fully convinced that the problem is due to something on my end if it weren't for the fact that both my computers replicate the issue even on fresh OS installations. I can't really know at this point whether it's a me problem or an eu4 problem, but I'll act under the assumption that it's a me problem for the time being as I keep trawling the internet trying to solve these issues.

>I really don't know what to suggest, in all honesty. There doesn't seem to be any kind of tech tweak we can use to get you past these issues.

No problem. Thank you again for taking the time to try and help resolve this issue. I'll keep looking into that panning feature of X11 so perhaps I can run EU4 at 1080p on my 4k monitor on linux (like I do on windows) as that would be my preferred solution. If all else fails, I can live with the tooltip problem if I run the game at 4k with the gui upscaled, but I haven't given up yet.

If you feel these issues are essentially game bugs, then you should post them in new threads in the Bug Report forum, with screenshots, videos, the above text files, and whatever else QA might need to reproduce the problem.

Good luck with that!

I experienced what looks like the same problem on Ubuntu today, after not playing for quite some time. I was able to fix it by editing ~/.local/share/Paradox\ Interactive/Europa\ Universalis\ IV/settings.txt and changing graphics.fullScreen=yes to graphics.FullScreen=no. The game loaded in a window and from there I was able to change the settings to work correctly.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I bought the game on Steam and can't play it because the mouse cursor and its real position are not aligned. Even if I use the notebook screen, not a 4K monitor, this problem persists

I'm experiencing the same problem. I bought the game on Steam and can't play it because the mouse cursor and its real position are not aligned. Even if I use the notebook screen, not a 4K monitor, this problem persists
Please start a new thread rather than reopening an old one, thanks - the game has changed a lot in 2 years! Supply there detailed system information and problem history, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.