• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

p55carroll

Private
11 Badges
Oct 17, 2018
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Pride of Nations
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Just want to say I've been playing AoW, off and on, since the first version came out in 1999. I've played a little of each version recently, and IMO they all stand the test of time. Each new version of AoW has been better than the last, and yet each version is unique--with features not present in the others.

I just bought AoW3 about six weeks ago, so I'll be spending a lot of time learning and enjoying it. But I'd also be very happy to play AoW1 or AoW2 (with or without Shadow Magic).

Reactions:
I've played AoW1 so much when I was younger. I still think it is one of the best campaigns in any game I've played - it was a blast experiencing all the plotlines unfold. I also recall it was very well-written. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic is generally considered the best of the series. While 3 is decent in it's own right it lacks the content and versatility that Shadow Magic offers.

2/Shadow Magic has more factions you can play as, more units you can field, Magic is more versatile and powerful, and there are no class choices to dictate your playstyle. Instead you play however you want. (oh and 2/Shadow Magic has a much better soundtrack)

Only real complaint about 2/shadow magic is the visuals which do show their age as it's 2D/3D sprites and how difficult it is to learn the game in comparison. (for example the game doesn't teach you how to properly use ranged units which have a lot of factors going in to landing ranged attacks as in distance, obstacles, height and the level of marksmenship)

AOW 1 made interesting the small cities: they don't develop so you use them anyway. Can be useful for immersion. For example why capturing Minas Tirith if in 50 days you will have 20 Minas Tirith?
Problems were superpower heroes (even more than Aow 2) and very high upkeep for lower tiers.
Also unlike of AOW 3 lack of proper modding. For example you can edit the units but not the ability, archery will always have 4 attack 2 damage and will attack 2 times.

Reactions:
I've played AoW1 so much when I was younger. I still think it is one of the best campaigns in any game I've played - it was a blast experiencing all the plotlines unfold. I also recall it was very well-written. :)
The campaign in aow1 was awesome! Particularly when rescuing the dwarves of Deepmir. That scenario had an amazingly interesting underground to explore. I dragged it out until i explored everywhere and rebuilt all the ruins.

No single scenario had such fun and extensive underground.

AOW 1 made interesting the small cities: they don't develop so you use them anyway. Can be useful for immersion. For example why capturing Minas Tirith if in 50 days you will have 20 Minas Tirith?
Problems were superpower heroes (even more than Aow 2) and very high upkeep for lower tiers.
Also unlike of AOW 3 lack of proper modding. For example you can edit the units but not the ability, archery will always have 4 attack 2 damage and will attack 2 times.
Actually... I am a modder for AoW 1 and I can edit all the values for both Archery and Marksmanship as well as many more things.

Actually... I am a modder for AoW 1 and I can edit all the values for both Archery and Marksmanship as well as many more things.
Could you tell me then, if there are event scripts in the AoW1 editor? I would like to mess with the editor but didn't found any in there. Maybe some mod for event scripting does exist? Thanks in advance.

Could you tell me then, if there are event scripts in the AoW1 editor? I would like to mess with the editor but didn't found any in there. Maybe some mod for event scripting does exist? Thanks in advance.
There is nothing like that that I am aware of. You can't make scripted scenarios like you can in for example Age of Empires 2.

There is nothing like that that I am aware of. You can't make scripted scenarios like you can in for example Age of Empires 2.
And one question extra. Is it possible to mod AoW1 so all players can be the same race? Because when I tried to set 3 players as the Humans, there a warning emerged that each player must be a unique race.

And one question extra. Is it possible to mod AoW1 so all players can be the same race? Because when I tried to set 3 players as the Humans, there a warning emerged that each player must be a unique race.
That might be possible to mod, but none of us have looked into it. These things take a lot of effort, so we only really spend time on them if it's useful for our own mods or multiple people. We are mostly concerned with modding spells, abilities, and larger code like leader experience.