[Dev Team] 2.4.0 (Lee) Patch Released [checksum 2226]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really hate that you cant see what mods are technically out dated.

I was hoping to just play 2.3.3 and ride it out until all this was worked out.... but now i cant do that since core mods have been updated and dont show up/work in the old launcher now. Thanks for making it impossible to play past modded games.
That is part of an issue with steam handling mods and modders updating instead of versioning ( as they don't want to lose people's interest)

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm very much curious as to why "release it when it's actually done" is such an alien concept to the company?

Aye.
It's quite amazing, in retrospect. Three years into Stellaris's release, and customers are still paying for an unfinished product.
A tweak here, a revision there, eventually we got something that was quite different.

Is it better in general than it once was? Arguably so.
Did we have to pay full price for what was, essentially, an Early-Access production? I'll let you decide.

I can't deny that I like this game and, up until only recently, I have enjoyed its strengths and tolerated its faults. I give credit where it is due.
I also understand that bugs are practically inevitable when serving a big piece of software to a crowd of diverse machines.
But it's been three years.

My patience is rewarded with a product that doesn't even work now.
The next time I think about making a purchase from Paradox, I'm going to remember this.

Dear PDS devs working on the integrated GAI scripts that try to optimise CG/Minerals production:

STOP. This isn't worth the job-popping it is causing. Please create some test-cases before continuing to work on this spaghetti.

Please look at EDAI for how to fix this.

Please don't ignore the one communications channel I had (a colleague on Discord now employed by you) who I relayed a bunch of fixes for the AI to.

Please review your internal process for utilising community contributions to fixing stuff. It's free labour. Use it.

And please work more closely with modders for Stellaris, so that all these very annoyed customers who are now yelling at you for breaking mod usage aren't also yelling at us.

No wonder I've quit modding this game. Hopefully some of the fans of my mods will realise what one of the reasons for that is.

Regards,
A thoroughly fed up ex-modder who arguably helped sell a bunch of Stellaris.

Careful with using resume when playing ironman mode. There was a local saved file (Year 2501) on my desktop generated due to a game crash, and when I click on resume game, this old file overwrote the cloud version (Year 2676). Enough to make me quit on this game where I'm on my way to erdiacate the awakened empire.

No wonder I've quit modding this game. Hopefully some of the fans of my mods will realise what one of the reasons for that is.

This is the first time that I've heard that you were retiring from modding Stellaris. I suppose that is my fault, since I only infrequently check the mod pages. Thank you for all the good times your mods brought me across who knows how many versions of this game. You're a legend.

Hi all, we're back and going through your reports. Will get fixes for that artisan job and shift click not working in fleet manager thing in to a hotfix as soon as possible. We're juggling multiple versions now and probably had a missed merge somewhere.

Also, for those who are doing crossplay MP games between Steam, GOG, etc, I've made a crossplay capable rollback branch so you can go back to the prior version (in this case 2.3.3, but will be updated each time the main version changes). It's accessible via the betas tab in steam and is called crossplay_rollback. Hopefully this means you can complete ongoing games before changing version.

Will get back to you all shortly when I have more concrete news.

Aaaaaaaand now I can’t play Stellaris. Thanks Paradox Launcher! :(

Still doesn’t launch for me. Was having the same issue with EU4. It’ll try and launch, but then either close or crash out. Something about a closed network connection.

It does not work. The app can be started with only a message shown: cannot communicate with steam.

Hi, just updated Stellaris on steam, unfortunately the game won't start (Mac). I get the Missing executable error. (missing dowser app) Tried opening dowser app manually, gives me the general error...launching launcher-installer-macos does nothing at all.

Launcher wont even launch my game, mods or not. Great work. Top notch...be fixed in a week a month? right?

Yeah I cant launch it either

THANK YOU FOR BREAKING STELLARIS WITH THIS ***** LAUNCHER

Add Stellaris to list of games I can't play anymore. Same as EU4 post new launcher, the game icon appears on the Windows bar, the Stellaris mouse pointer appears, then... nothing.

Unable to launch the game at all now on Win PC.

Well, i have to chime in here too. Unable to launch game the standard way via launcher. I've enabled mods, no dice, disabled mods no dice, disabled dlc, no dice..its not even bringing up the stellaris.exe into ram (checked via task manager on win 10).

Also having the same problem. Game worked fine yesterday. Today the launcher updated and when I go to play it loads fine but you hit play and nothing happens other the the launcher goes away.

Well even after unsubscribing to all mods and uninstalling the game repeatedly and reinstalling, i cant even play the game cause the launcher keeps crashing.

I can not even launch the game... the screen freezes...

Hi all. Want to get this issue(s) sorted out for you. Any info you could share on your OS, hardware, firewall, antivirus software, launch platform (Steam/GOG/etc), mod status, etc, could be helpful. If you can help us reproduce the issue locally, we can get a fix. One thing that seems to work for some is launching in borderless windowed mode. Also disable ALL mods, some of them may not be compatible with 2.4.0 and killing the game on load. Launcher team is going to get pre-launch incompatibility notification in to the launcher as soon as possible to help with this.

Since the launcher is made and maintained by a separate team, the best and most direct way to get your feedback to them is via their own thread:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-the-paradox-launcher.1254011/#post-25883863
You're blaming the other team and sending people to complain to them and they're blaming and sending people back to you.
As for the "outdated mods" warning, it's present in the launcher but the Stellaris team did not have time to implement it for this patch. Be sure to bug Jamor about it, I'm sure he'll love me more for it
It doesn't look good. And whoever is at fault... it's a mess.

It's a little disappointing that Paradox continue to push things live that are very clearly not ready to be pushed live. This new launcher seems to wreak havoc upon every game it's inflicted upon. I know you have your target dates and release windows and things but surely after Megacorp someone sits down and decides that there needs to be a bit more flexibility about these things.

So, to sum it all up.
At first, I couldn't even get the game to start.
When I finally did, i realized that the mod launcher is broken and it's completely screwed up when it comes to mod loading order. Which is a bit of an issue if you use those big ones, like NSC or Planetary Diversity.
Had to enable every single mod I used before manually, which is made ten times more annoying than it should be, because the launcher is not even in bloody alphabetical order.
The game now loads. Hooray. Except not really, because it crashes when I try to start a game.
So I reverted to previous version - but here's another issue. Because new launcher reads mods differently (they're no longer just zip files in steam workshop folder), the updated ones no longer work on the older version.
So in conclusion - can't play the old version, can't play the new version. Job well done, Paradox, your game certainly has been "updated"

fml...

This might have been said before but after the update i have a weird glitch where civilians will stop working in the civilian factory and will just go unemployed ruining my economy, i always had enough minerals to make factories work but they just keep going unemployed and there is no way to make them go back other than hope they do it themselves

I know this won't people reporting problems here, but just wanted to point out that the update does work for some people, such as myself. The 'worst' thing happening to me was that the launcher automatically switched back from englisch to german for unknown reasons (probably because my desktop is set to german), and the game switched from borderless window to full screen. Easy enough to fix.

I have the GOG version, set to manual update, no mods (which may or may not be part of the problems), and 6 DLCs installed and active.

I do not see any problem with Artisans either: mine are happily working away. Maybe this info is of some help to the devs trying to figure out what is and isn't working as expected...

I have a series of issues of with the new launcher and given i don't really know where else to put them i guess i'm gonna go with posting them here

1: The biggest issue of all is the lack of the version number indicator for out of date mods, which seems like a gargantium oversight, as the lack of it means the lack of pretty much the biggest QoL feature for mod setup debugging, and without it, insuring that the mod setup you have is functional is almost impossible. (i had to revert to 2.3.3 and spend over an hour yesterday cross referencing and unsubscribing to unused dead mods i were still subscribed to in order to make the new launcher be even vaguely useful) While the "out of date mod" dialogue box exists its roughly 99% less useful given that it neither shows which version of the game said mods are for and the fact that it cant be viewed at the same time as the mod selection screen

2. The "out of date mods active" dialogue will extend downwards indefinitely without adding a scrollbar, which means that with sufficient amounts of out of date mods active, it will literally extent below the screen, making it impossible to view the entire list, and making it so that the dialogue confirmation buttons will be located below the bottom of the screen, only being accessible via (blind) keyboard interaction

3. The "all mods active" toggle can be accidentally selected and will be enacted without a confirmation dialogue, meaning that all active mods will be reset to disabled if one were to accidentally select it ( i lost about 20 minutes worth of mod activation yesterday when i accidentally hit the toggle when putting the launcher back in focus, after having cross referenced a mod's steam workshop page to see if i should have it active or not, given that i didn't know if the mod was up to date or not)

4. The fact that there isnt an optional alphabet mod display mode is just... really annoying and makes mods a pain in the ass to find

5. The interface is unessecraely spacious and as such makes it difficult to get a good overview of any given segment of enabled/disabled mods, an optional list view like of the old stellaris launcher would be much appreciated.

6. The mod activation/deactivation toggle is rather fiddly to deal with, making mod activation/deactivation needlessly annoying, an extension of the detection area would create a better experience (for me personally at least)

That's all i have for now, i really hope that at least most of this ends up being fixed, stellaris is very much my most favorite game of all time (2400+ hours in game) but dealing with the new launcher yesterday was incredibly frustrating and angering, making the same mod setup that made the game so fun for me feel almost impossible to achieve again, and i'd hate to have it be this that ruins my enjoyment of the game more or less forever.

So, to sum it all up.
At first, I couldn't even get the game to start.
When I finally did, i realized that the mod launcher is broken and it's completely screwed up when it comes to mod loading order. Which is a bit of an issue if you use those big ones, like NSC or Planetary Diversity.
Had to enable every single mod I used before manually, which is made ten times more annoying than it should be, because the launcher is not even in bloody alphabetical order.
The game now loads. Hooray. Except not really, because it crashes when I try to start a game.
So I reverted to previous version - but here's another issue. Because new launcher reads mods differently (they're no longer just zip files in steam workshop folder), the updated ones no longer work on the older version.
So in conclusion - can't play the old version, can't play the new version. Job well done, Paradox, your game certainly has been "updated"

fml...

Yes. This, exactly. I can happily live with the regularly scheduled garbage fire updates, so long as it's possible to stay in the previous version.

But the mod incompatibility across versions just ruined all of my ongoing games.

So as Mahenzo said: can't play 2.4, can't play 2.3.3 ...

The modding community for this game is absolutely amazing, and they make Stellaris what it is as much as the actual development team. Without mods, I would have stopped playing and buying DLC for this game years ago.

The development team *needs* to communicate vital information to the dozens (if not hundreds) of highly talented modders that work on your game for free, and warn them about things like an upcoming incompatibility between versions, so that mods can be versioned instead of simply updated, leading to Stellaris literally becoming unplayable, except in Vanilla, which is is the same as unplayable for many of us.

While you're at it, maybe you could tell your players about an upcoming version change as well. If I had known 2.4 was going to happen, and that mods weren't going to be compatible across versions, I would have just disconnected from the interent and played 2.3.3 offline until my current games were finished.

Welp, I booted up Stellaris just now to continue my game, and it decides to update me to 2.4 Any way for SP to go back to 2.3.3? And will this sudden update break my save if I play now, or go back? Because I didn't get it backed up with the thought it just wouldn't update yet.

EDIT I had 2 saves. Both with mods, but I only had a couple UI mods on for my current game. And I've already unsubscribed too just in case.

Last edited:
Dear PDS devs working on the integrated GAI scripts that try to optimise CG/Minerals production:

STOP. This isn't worth the job-popping it is causing. Please create some test-cases before continuing to work on this spaghetti.

Please look at EDAI for how to fix this.

Please don't ignore the one communications channel I had (a colleague on Discord now employed by you) who I relayed a bunch of fixes for the AI to.

Please review your internal process for utilising community contributions to fixing stuff. It's free labour. Use it.

And please work more closely with modders for Stellaris, so that all these very annoyed customers who are now yelling at you for breaking mod usage aren't also yelling at us.

Regards,
A thoroughly fed up ex-modder who arguably helped sell a bunch of Stellaris.
Yes, please, Paradox. Listen to your modders (especially the AI gurus).
You're blaming the other team and sending people to complain to them and they're blaming and sending people back to you.

It doesn't look good. And whoever is at fault... it's a mess.
Sounds like my work place as well.