• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Witcher Kings 0.11.0 is now released, and compatible with vanilla 3.2.1 !
Mod checksum: 3.2.1 (FQOF)
It is probably NOT save-compatible with previous version.

For any questions check out first the mod wiki page: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Witcher_Kings
And don't hesitate to report bugs, or provide feedback and ideas !

Automatic .exe installer (recommended for Windows): Witcher_Kings_0.11.0.exe.zip

Installation instructions:
- Launch the Witcher_Kings_0.11.0.exe
- Select your CK2 mod folder, in case it is not the default one (Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod)
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Launch CK2
- Select the mod "Witcher Kings" in the Mod tab
- Play!

Manual install (Windows/Linux/Mac): Witcher_Kings_0.11.0.zip

Installation instructions:
- Very important: remove any Witcher mod folder and .mod file inside Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
- Clear your gfx cache, by deleting the folder Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\Witcher\gfx
- Extract the downloaded zip archive
- Copy its content (Witcher.mod file and Witcher folder) to Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
- Launch CK2
- Select the mod "Witcher Kings" in the Mod tab
- Play!

Known bugs:
- Game performances degrade after 200 years, due to too many immortal race (dwarves and dryads) courtiers. You should also consider disabling "court size" game rule if going for a long game to not penalize dwarf or dryad realms.
- Random worlds scenarios may be buggy (no witchers nor sorcerers, ...)

Full 0.11.0 changelog:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
v0.11.0 2019-09-29
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compatibility with vanilla 3.2.1 #129

This release is probably NOT save-compatible with previous releases (map changes).

Feature:
- Add maritime trade route with Ofier #55
- Integrate vanilla great works
- Configure some historical great works #130
- Nudge positions.txt to display great works on the map
- Adapt great works conditions to the lore
- Disable great works within mage towers and wilderness provinces
- Add dark/satanist cults #41
- Transform Coram Agh Tera religion into a dark cult based off vanilla Lucifer's Own society
- Add Svalblod cult, based off vanilla Fellowship of Hel society
- Add Lilit cult, based off vanilla Plaguebringers society
- Adapt vanilla Hermetics into Alchemists guild #45
- Add a placeholder Witcher society #42
- Add Hugo of Rivia (32410)
- Add "the Seer" nickname
- Add personality traits to some canon characters
- Add settlment and title decisions to grant an abandoned de jure mage tower to an unlanded sorcerer in court #96
- Add icons for diplomatic decisions
- Rename druidic temples into circles
- Change the faith of Toussaint to Prophet Lebioda, and re-arrange its holy sites

Bugfix:
- Fix Blood of Dezmod by making Bienvenu La Louve marriage matrilineal
- Disallow bastards for historical bloodlines #116
- Fix Bran not being King of Skellige on W2 timeframe
- Fix imperial elective in Nilfgaard title history, causing reset to feudal government
- Fix "Veronica" name from lyrian culture starting with lowercase
- Fix rulers unable to appoint court chaplains #117
- Remove prosperity/depopulation mechanics for mage towers and wilderness provinces
- Fix nomad agitation triggering on mage towers or temple-only provinces and making province tribal/nomadic #119 #121
- Disable elf/dwarf courtier marriages for the AI to avoid court bloating
- Remove negative wealth events for wilderness
- Make c_thanedd de jure vassal of d_gors_velen, to solve de jure drift issues #96
- Reduce MTTH for son wants to become druid event #123
- Reduce AI chances to convert to druidic religion #123
- Reduce MTTH for druid spawning if no druidic province or holy site in realm
- Fix druidic circle holdings picture
- Fix Lover's Pox not being cured by magic #108
- Fix heal spell not removing Reaper's Due on-going treatments or disease levels
- Add a menopause hidden modifier
- Move artifacts generation from events to startup spawning, to prevent infinite generation
- Exclude witchers from "order to take the vows" and "assemble mercenary company"
- Fix duplicated "Preposterous, woman can't be a Marshal!" event options for all jobs
- Remove broken usage of job_mage as a localization scope #105
- Fix bad scope in drowners letter event #97
- Fix some missing pre-rendered portraits. Now using only vanilla layers p11 and p36, for better compatibility with portrait DLCs.
- Tweak government flavors to avoid defaulting to Indian Absolute Kingdom

Attachments

• Witcher_Kings_0.11.0.zip
    48,8 MB · Views: 186
  • Witcher_Kings_0.11.0.exe.zip
    43,6 MB · Views: 286
Development diary - v0.11.0

Hi folks,

This 0.11.0 release brings compatibility with latest CK2 patch 3.2.1.
It fixes some annoying bugs like the court chaplains appointment or some missing pre-rendered portraits.
But it also makes use of some new or neglected CK2 features:
  • Societies
  • Trade routes
  • Great works
A bit of flashback
When 4 years ago I proposed my help to @JonStryker and @ajjr, my motivation was to not let the mod die.
Mainly because there were thousands of hours of work already invested by the creators and contributors.
It's a vicious cycle when a mod is not compatible with latest CK2 version - there are much less players ready to rollback, less feedback, less chances of modding contributions given the size of the work to do, etc.

I had good knowledge of CK2 modding, thanks to my contributions to WtWSMS and Ancient Religions Reborn mods, so I hoped I could keep the mod up to date with the base game, without too much work :cool:
That was underestimating a few things:
  1. CK2 longevity and the amount of new modding features
  2. my limited knowledge of the Witcher lore at the time - players were reporting lore bugs I didn't understand :p
  3. the complexity of CK2 total conversions and their fragile mechanics that rely on modding hacks (immortal races, wilderness, mage towers, ...) - we're seeing these days few big mods even choosing to do a risky full re-write.
We don't know what the future holds for CK2, but the mod has not died so far, so it's been a success :)
If CK2 patches were to stop, people would still be able to play the mod years from now (with 1 click installation from Steam) !

Societies
Finally some societies are present in the mod !
It's mostly only custom localization and custom UI on top of vanilla existing scripts (hence Monks & Mystics DLC is mandatory), but it's a good basis to later add custom powers or features.

Dark cults
First the Coram Agh Tera religion has been transformed into an demon worshipper society, based off vanilla Lucifer's Own.

CoramAghTera.jpg

It is accessible to characters with Melitele, Kreve, Lebioda, Eternal Fire or Solar religion.

The Svalblod cult is accessible to Freya and Druidic characters, and is based off vanilla Fellowship of Hel.

Svalblod.jpg

A Lilit cult - accessible to Yer characters - may spread after a Haak invasion. It is based off the vanilla Plaguebringers.

Niya.jpg

All these dark cults have some common pre-requisites:
  • be lunatic or possessed
  • or be cruel or cannibal
  • or be a maniac killer
  • or be close to death (duelist, veteran, physician)
  • or have experienced a tragic loss of a loved one
Alchemist guild
It is based off the vanilla Hermetics society.

Something that could be interesting in the future is a real alchemy system !

Order of the Witchers
A placeholder Witcher society has been added:

Witchers.jpg

It mostly helps keeping track of witchers and prevents them from joining other societies.
So no, Witchers have not been made playable in this update. But this is maybe a tiny step towards that goal.
In the future, the monster infestations might be re-written as society quests.
Other interesting things I have in mind would be quests about lifting curses or investigating suspicious murders.

Great works
The following great works from the lore have been added:
  • Oxenfurt Academy (Grand University)
  • University of Lan Exeter (Grand University)
LanExter.jpg

• Nilfgaard Imperial Palace (Royal Palace)
  • Vizima Royal Palace (Royal Palace)
Wyzima.jpg

• Beauclair Palace (Royal Palace)
  • Kaer Trolde citadel (Grand Fortress)
  • Castle Tuirseach (Grand Fortress) - destroyed in current bookmarks.
  • Grand Picket (Great Temple)
  • Prophet Lebioda Statue in Toussaint (Ruler Statue)
  • Statue of Modron Freyja (Ruler Statue)
  • Novigrad Harbor (Great Harbor)
Novigrad.jpg

• Loc Muinne amphitheatre (Grand Amphitheater) - destroyed in current bookmarks.
LocMuinne.jpg

Some pre-requisites in vanilla scripts have been adjusted to the lore.
The most time consuming part was nudging positions.txt to display great works on the map.

KaerTrolde.jpg

TempleIsle.jpg

Trade route
The maritime trade route from Ofier to Pont Vanis has been added.
Ofier is not on the map, so it is symbolized via an off-map 1 pixel county.

TradeRoute.jpg

The trade route should make the game more interesting when playing as Kovir & Poviss or Novigrad, fighting for control of trade posts.
Note that it requires Horse Lords or Jade Dragon DLC.

Diplomatic decisions icons
Some icons have been added to the mod custom targeted decisions:

DiploIcons.jpg

Druidic circles
Druidic baronies have been renamed to circle, and their settlement image has been improved:

CaedDhu.jpg

Thanks for reading, and as always don't hesitate to give feedback - good or bad !

• 1Like
Reactions:
Think my poor game is trying to cut down on long lived characters.. most/if not all of my Elven descendants died of suspicious circumstances.. tried discover_plots command to see if someone got sneaky.. but nothing caught in 100+ years I was playing.

Think my poor game is trying to cut down on long lived characters.. most/if not all of my Elven descendants died of suspicious circumstances.. tried discover_plots command to see if someone got sneaky.. but nothing caught in 100+ years I was playing.

Weird, normal cut down would be "vanished without a trace" (death_reason = death_missing)

It could be devil worshippers events but elves are not supposed to join...
There's also a mod event using death_murder_unknown that fires randomly on_battle_won / on_battle_lost.
Did it happen just after them leading a battle ?

About playable Witchers -
firstly i should point you to the AGOT mod-style decision with Daenerys when she's heading to Quarth. She's given an independent county, but with one event stripped from that county given a duchy+barony and vassalize by Qurth. In this mod it should be translated like this -
1)Geralt/Vesemir is given an independent made-up island county near mouth of Pontar
2)Via event this county is abondoned, transalted to ruins, G./V. are vassalized by either Radovid or Foltest.
3)Story event chain begins.
This method will do splendidly if Second War is implemented. The Geralts' Quest for Ciri is perfect way to make witchers playable.
And good reason to add many dead characters from books in history (where's Cahir, he's fook...son of a landed character)
Gwent card game is a good possible source of charaters, by the way...

About playable Witchers -
firstly i should point you to the AGOT mod-style decision with Daenerys when she's heading to Quarth. She's given an independent county, but with one event stripped from that county given a duchy+barony and vassalize by Qurth. In this mod it should be translated like this -
1)Geralt/Vesemir is given an independent made-up island county near mouth of Pontar
2)Via event this county is abondoned, transalted to ruins, G./V. are vassalized by either Radovid or Foltest.
3)Story event chain begins.
This method will do splendidly if Second War is implemented. The Geralts' Quest for Ciri is perfect way to make witchers playable.
And good reason to add many dead characters from books in history (where's Cahir, he's fook...son of a landed character)
Gwent card game is a good possible source of charaters, by the way...

I actually have a prototype of landless character gameplay, where you see your character on the map and need to move from province to province.

The problem is more to add things to do, otherwise it's super boring :/
I'd see 3 types of witcher quests (given by rulers):
- Monster eradication - RPG-style combat (similar to duel, but longer/more interactive)
- Investigate suspicious murders of noble families
- Resolve curses (triggered by dark cults or witches)

But I'm not sure how to make these fun yet - don't hesitate if you have ideas.
Things should be sandboxed, i.e. I don't want to railroad only specific interactions between 2 characters (ex: Geralt and Ciri), but you should be able to play any Witcher and have a fun gameplay. Though maybe that's too ambitious.

Just a heads-up: the mod should still work with recent patch 3.3.0, I didn't spot any critical file conflicts - just disable the checksum check game rule to not have the popup.

Who would you all recommend for someone new to the mod? It all looks very interesting!

King Foltest is a popular choice, but he's old and it's hard securing a succession.
Maybe try to unify the North as Radowid V, in order to fight back Nilfgaard ?
Or try to unite the declining elves as the elven queen of Dol Blathanna and sorceress, Francesca Findabair ?

I've added a stub section on the wiki if anyone wants to expand on this and give start suggestions: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Witcher_Kings#Interesting_characters

Just a heads-up: the mod should still work with recent patch 3.3.0, I didn't spot any critical file conflicts - just disable the checksum check game rule to not have the popup.

King Foltest is a popular choice, but he's old and it's hard securing a succession.
Maybe try to unify the North as Radowid V, in order to fight back Nilfgaard ?
Or try to unite the declining elves as the elven queen of Dol Blathanna and sorceress, Francesca Findabair ?

I've added a stub section on the wiki if anyone wants to expand on this and give start suggestions: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Witcher_Kings#Interesting_characters
Awesome, thank you!

So, what started as bug fixes now turned in to graphical fix for the map with little gameplay change.
I'm full of work ( real-life one ), so I finish probably in the first half of November, because "positions.txt" I HATE you ( but "Nudge" you are gods blessing ).
Most of "Northern kingdoms" are done, and the "South" will be quicker.

I'm checking every province and making little adjustments to borders and stuff, to make this:
1) Force armies to STOP CROSSING GODDAMN MOUNTAINS and START USING ROADS.
2) Borders should follow natural boundaries ( rivers mountants forests etc ) when possible ( especially between kingdoms and duchies ).
3) Fix provinces stuff on the map like: missing wonders, armies standing on top of the mountain, trade posts ( oh my what a MESS ) so yeah, if you decide to make land trade you'll be able to.
4) Fix wrong pixels in "topology" ( which create little mountain on the plane and gfx glitches ), "provinces" ( already found more than 15 ), same with "rivers".
5) And some other stuff which is a little secret but here is a tease ( it concerns Mahakam, Dol Blathanna, and Temerian vasals ).:)

Basically "map" folder ( little gameplay but the Devil is in the details ).
Here are 2 places as an example:

And about my bugs fixes.
You guys fixed most so here's what left:
1) It stuff with Wilderness and Magic Towers:
Fixes characters in Wilderness court, making them normal instead of getting rid of them. Also should prevent Wilderness baby's cause yeah 100 years and that a thing ( rare but still ).
There are comments in the file.
2) Elective monarchy for Mahakam and Skellige:
It easy to fix: just 2 laws in "history" and fix in "succession".
BUT it creates a problem with a succession of counties, as they too become elective.

Here are the files:

Regarding Skellige succession:
Guys from "Elder KIngs" done one for the kingdom of Skyrim. With a High King, Jarls, and stuff.
I'm planning to make one for Skellige, using theirs as an example.

So, what started as bug fixes now turned in to graphical fix for the map with little gameplay change.
I'm full of work ( real-life one ), so I finish probably in the first half of November, because "positions.txt" I HATE you ( but "Nudge" you are gods blessing ).
Most of "Northern kingdoms" are done, and the "South" will be quicker.

I'm checking every province and making little adjustments to borders and stuff, to make this:
1) Force armies to STOP CROSSING GODDAMN MOUNTAINS and START USING ROADS.
2) Borders should follow natural boundaries ( rivers mountants forests etc ) when possible ( especially between kingdoms and duchies ).
3) Fix provinces stuff on the map like: missing wonders, armies standing on top of the mountain, trade posts ( oh my what a MESS ) so yeah, if you decide to make land trade you'll be able to.
4) Fix wrong pixels in "topology" ( which create little mountain on the plane and gfx glitches ), "provinces" ( already found more than 15 ), same with "rivers".

Awesome, some pathing always bugged me, but I didn't know it was even possible to do something about it :eek:

And about my bugs fixes.
You guys fixed most so here's what left:
1) It stuff with Wilderness and Magic Towers:
Fixes characters in Wilderness court, making them normal instead of getting rid of them. Also should prevent Wilderness baby's cause yeah 100 years and that a thing ( rare but still ).
There are comments in the file.

Thanks, I'll review the changes.
I fought quite a lot with the Wilderness and discovered quirks of CK2 engine, like it generates automatically 1 or 2 courtiers in some conditions when a court is empty, and killing them was just a consuming CPU loop, so not everything might be fixable unfortunately.

2) Elective monarchy for Mahakam and Skellige:
It easy to fix: just 2 laws in "history" and fix in "succession".
BUT it creates a problem with a succession of counties, as they too become elective.

Here are the files:

Regarding Skellige succession:
Guys from "Elder KIngs" done one for the kingdom of Skyrim. With a High King, Jarls, and stuff.
I'm planning to make one for Skellige, using theirs as an example.

It's true that in CK2 the succession law on the highest title applies to all de jure titles as well.
Though I think the clan titles could be transferred to the dynastic heir via on_death on_action (i.e. before succession) ?
A custom succession_law / succession_voting would be nice to explain that and tune the requirements and AI voting logic (traits, culture, ...) !

Awesome, some pathing always bugged me, but I didn't know it was even possible to do something about it
AI and its Hannibal complex.:mad:

I fought quite a lot with the Wilderness and discovered quirks of CK2 engine, like it generates automatically 1 or 2 courtiers in some conditions when a court is empty, and killing them was just a consuming CPU loop, so not everything might be fixable unfortunately.
The problem also in the wilderness itself.
Everyone hates it, so courtiers run away.

Though I think the clan titles could be transferred to the dynastic heir via on_death on_action (i.e. before succession) ?
A custom succession_law / succession_voting would be nice to explain that and tune the requirements and AI voting logic (traits, culture, ...) !
Custom succession law for kingdom ONLY, that hoe EK guys done it ( if I remember correctly )
+ depends on traits like a brave, warrior, just, etc.

Damn it! I just realized!
I can use my fix to actually make characters normal in Wilderness court, cause right now it only fixes those who have a "normal race" with the wrong culture, religion, etc.
SORRY... :oops:

--- Update ---
So here it is, full fix for Wilderness! :)
File:
No more killings, just transformations into human males and females ( because MAGIC ;) ).
New characters keep their traits and don't lose prestige and piety.

Testing show only one small problem:
Druids that spawn in wilderness court have names "Wilderness".
But I think it a bug in spawn itself.

ALSO, I highly recommend making "c_loc_muinne" (id 93) as a capital for "d_wilderness".
This prevents Wilderness from moving the capital to "Magic Towers" and other places, cause many of them are closer to coast, and in 80%, DISEASES too spawn closely to coast, which in turn kills characters in Wilderness court.

Besides, "c_loc_muinne" almost always stays under Wilderness.
And that's my question, how can I colonize it?
I saw the few times AI do it, but that was adventurers with the war CB ( which I think is a bug ).

Last edited:
I also have a question about the provinces that don't mention in books or any other places.
Are they was created randomly to fill the map, or there is some logic behind their stats ( number of holdings, borders, etc )?

I'm asking because, while making changes to the borders, I see some weird stuff.
Example:
Province ( has no mention on the wiki ) in the mountain with a small border has 4 holdings ( 3 of which already occupied ),
but the province on the plane with big borders has like 3 holdings ( of witch only capital is built and the other 2 are empty ).
Which doesn't make sense, and it populated by humans, not dwarves.

I also have a question about the provinces that don't mention in books or any other places.
Are they was created randomly to fill the map, or there is some logic behind their stats ( number of holdings, borders, etc )?

I'm asking because, while making changes to the borders, I see some weird stuff.
Example:
Province ( has no mention on the wiki ) in the mountain with a small border has 4 holdings ( 3 of which already occupied ),
but the province on the plane with big borders has like 3 holdings ( of witch only capital is built and the other 2 are empty ).
Which doesn't make sense, and it populated by humans, not dwarves.

I suppose I did these provinces "randomly". I mean how do you expect to have a full map when there are only like 4 towns known for a huge kingdom like Kaedwen?

Which provinces are you referring to in particular?

Which provinces are you referring to in particular?

Well, in particular, Vievers (Kovir) and Breffny (Metinna), Suthrima/Suprima (Nazair) too.
Also Raedykes (Cintra) but it at least has a city, but it also located on the river witch is like prime real estate.
And there are many more examples all over the map.

I suppose I did these provinces "randomly". I mean how do you expect to have a full map when there are only like 4 towns known for a huge kingdom like Kaedwen?

I thought so.
It just in order to make some things work, I rearrange some provinces ( not only borders but their placement as well ),
Here Witcher 3 map state for example:

And a constant thorn in Roach's hoove, is that province stats don't quite match their looks, and I start adjusting borders again.
For now, I manage without touching "history" or "landed_titles", but it would be easier.

BUT, the mostly Gfx mod will turn into Gameplay mod, and I don't know if it Ok with you guys.

The mod is very interesting piece of gem and I enjoyed playing it a lot but there ais an issue I'd like to point out. Playing is a chore due to the constant peasant rebels and adventurers' incursions. Doesn't matter I killed thousands of peasants or defeated dozens of invaders, next year two or three more are going to pop out of thin blue. This has to change because currently the game is frustratingly unplayable due to this single problem. Perhaps it would be possible to make a character-level or kingdom-level attribute reducing the risk of a new peasant uprising or adventurers' attack for, let's say, 10 to 15 years after putting the previous one down. Like, c'mon, killing thousands of pesky peasants should discourage others to follow their steps for at least a couple of years.