• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
50% habitable planets, medium galaxy size, 2325 Endgame year, earlier mega structures, suboptimal, but this is my life now. Had to play with lots of mods, it’s either that or be bored out of my mind by the mid game.

Even after 3 years the game hardly tackled the mid and endgame issues it had from the start. I hope what’s coming soon would really focus on that before anything else.

Even if this helps a bit with the performance: Its not the job of modders to keep the performance stable in a game which is still in development.

I don't disagree with that and my posts further back in the thread say as much. I'm certainly not making excuses for Paradox's antics.

I think the issue is the over complicated nature of the pops themselves. They are cool to look at, but the actual functionality they provide is not a great amount of value added. In most cases their only purpose is to limit the buildings we build. We move them around when they are over the pop cap or over the number of jobs we have available. The rest of the time it is hands of the pop management. The result is it doesn't really add a whole lot of value.

It sounds like the best approach is to reduce the number of checks. As AlphaAsh pointed out in a previous thread, simply shutting down the pops/buildings when they do not provide any value is insufficient.

Perhaps separate jobs from buildings completely from Districts, and directly apply the building bonus to the planet production. That way the pops only need to make 3 comparisons (Food, Energy, Minerals). Remove the Strata system all together and the amount of checks should drop like a rock.

As this is now stickyed, AlphaAsh it may be beneficial if you could put your findings here to improve consensus.

I propose a thread title change: lack of performance mega thread :D
Seriously, I hope after Pdx con, the devs can shed some light on possible changes or fixes to increase the late game performance so I can play on bugger galaxies again.

Edit: I also hope the devs might allocate some time to test different solutions such as using less pops and keeping the production the same, more efficient handling of the jobs and unemployment etc.

Last edited:
Before any major structural change, there are things that can "easily" (read: "not spend another year entirely redesigning the pop/economy system") be tweaked. In my opinion, the biggest probem is that it seems the game checks for job reshuffling every day. A few days ago, I spent an entire five minutes staring at two pops of mine, a farmer and an unemployed pop, just swapping their jobs constantly every time a day passed. And they were the same species with the exact same traits. If the game did check every day for these two pops, it stands to reason that it does for most, maybe even every existing pop, in the same fashion, on a daily basis.

I'm no expert in any way, but I'm pretty sure that this sort of daily calculation, especially when it's actually relevant only once at the end of every month, can't possibly be good for performances. Even if limiting that calculation to once per month meant a heavier load on that specific day, I would vastly prefer one big stutter per month than what we have now.

Before any major structural change, there are things that can "easily" (read: "not spend another year entirely redesigning the pop/economy system") be tweaked. In my opinion, the biggest probem is that it seems the game checks for job reshuffling every day. A few days ago, I spent an entire five minutes staring at two pops of mine, a farmer and an unemployed pop, just swapping their jobs constantly every time a day passed. And they were the same species with the exact same traits. If the game did check every day for these two pops, it stands to reason that it does for most, maybe even every existing pop, in the same fashion, on a daily basis.

I'm no expert in any way, but I'm pretty sure that this sort of daily calculation, especially when it's actually relevant only once at the end of every month, can't possibly be good for performances. Even if limiting that calculation to once per month meant a heavier load on that specific day, I would vastly prefer one big stutter per month than what we have now.
I hope you are wrong because doing it systematicaly is dumb but may be when a new pop is added, when pop traits are changed or when new jobs are created or deleted because there is a change should be better, and doing it for the less pop possible, is certainly more suitable...

By the way, every years the game freezes in late game even to the point I though my pc crashed...

Here is the late game without any mods, latest patch with all DLCs:
ezgif-4-892bfc46a3b1.gif

Here is th elate game with the mod, that messes with pops:
giphy.gif

The results are obvious.

Great. The issue is so persistent that it got its own containment thread.

How about a roadmap how the devs intend to finally fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.