• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
the US destroyers made the Italian ones look handsome;

USS_Drayton_%28DD-366%29_underway_at_slow_speed_on_5_August_1936.jpg

USS Drayton, Mahan class destroyer. This is not a pretty ship. It has the too far apart funnel issue, that weird wedge under the 'B' turret (which itself is far too high), the rear section is just a mess, I could go on.
I am reminded of both a massive bulbous nose and a far too long and thin one at the same time. Fascinating stuff the Amercians dream up.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
HMAS Vampire, Daring Class, ordered just as the war was finishing. This is what a destroyer should look like. ;) Am travelling so i can’t easily post a picture, but here is a link to its ‘official’ website. http://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-vampire-ii

• 1Like
Reactions:
Beauty, as ever, is in the eye of the beholder :). I personally find the J/K/L/M/N British* and Italian Soldati DDs most pleasing on the eye, but think German and Japanese DDs also quite good-looking (once when adjusts to the two turrets rear approach of their Special Types). I don't really find any ugly, but agree the US DD designs (but not 1930s plus BB or Baltimore CA - both very kind on my eyes). It's all subjective though and no reflection on actual performance - those US DD designs were generally very sound.

* I don't mind the Darings, but those blocky turrets, while very effective, aren't as nice as the twin 4.7in mounts on the eye for my taste).

/diversion.

More seriously, keep up the great work Wraith :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am reminded of both a massive bulbous nose and a far too long and thin one at the same time. Fascinating stuff the Amercians dream up.

We try!

HMAS Vampire, Daring Class, ordered just as the war was finishing. This is what a destroyer should look like. ;) Am travelling so i can’t easily post a picture, but here is a link to its ‘official’ website. http://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-vampire-ii

That's a beast! The Aussies get great mileage out of their kit, eh?

Beauty, as ever, is in the eye of the beholder :). I personally find the J/K/L/M/N British* and Italian Soldati DDs most pleasing on the eye, but think German and Japanese DDs also quite good-looking (once when adjusts to the two turrets rear approach of their Special Types). I don't really find any ugly, but agree the US DD designs (but not 1930s plus BB or Baltimore CA - both very kind on my eyes). It's all subjective though and no reflection on actual performance - those US DD designs were generally very sound.

* I don't mind the Darings, but those blocky turrets, while very effective, aren't as nice as the twin 4.7in mounts on the eye for my taste).

/diversion.

More seriously, keep up the great work Wraith :)

Thanks! I'm working on the OOB Annex right now, hopefully should have something soonish! Because somebody took the top of the page I don't have the pressure anymore! :oops::D

Reactions:
Appendix N: Axis Armies Order of Battle and Division TO&E, 1942
ugJmCOZ.png

Appendix N
Axis Military Orders of Battle and Division Table of Organization and Equipment

I. GERMANY

K5YQk7f.png

NSb3eJY.png

rivO51C.png

xN8ai6j.png

rAYiwhG.png

Bu0A4Y4.png

pWkqUv4.png

IPY4L1s.png

GM9mJhG.png

f6YUM9P.png

2S3e2Kk.png

II. HUNGARY

y7wMCfs.png

III. ITALY

QqxgYLY.png

9UIMlaP.png

xIInxLL.png

vs1YOLm.png

LfeNIo4.png

52Rtm4V.png

CtjAcp7.png

OxmiL3j.png

LeTDKeF.png

0mBLa44.png

III. JAPAN

OGOP4X2.png

xi2hfMd.png

alxsnEs.png

8QB7i1n.png

hn0yaPf.png

9c2MvLd.png

Author's Note: Whew, this took awhile. Had to reevaluate where everything was, then found more than a few numbering issues, and IIRC, the limit on pictures in a post is twenty, which means that there will be more posts called "Appendix N" because I want to make sure that I don't lose too much fidelity with these!
@Axe99 might enjoy the naval pron, and all of those pictures should be appropriately sized to relate to one another!

Japan Update (27SEP19): Paradox can't keep any of their research correct... ugh... So there are some modifications to the historical record. Ask questions and I'll sort out what I need to mention.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A nice little overview. I'm looking forward to seeing what Germany does with all those units after Poland. There's a significant Atlantic fleet, and better than OTL submarines, I'm curious to see if your naval bet has paid off, and how it did. (or didn't)

all of those pictures should be appropriately sized to relate to one another!
I do thoroughly enjoy it when things are to scale...

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Axe99 might enjoy the naval pron, and all of those pictures should be appropriately sized to relate to one another!

I suitably enjoyed and am impressed :) Also thought OOB overview very HoI3-appropriate :cool:

• 1Like
Reactions:
such detailed work! thank you for the update, looking forward to what is going to happen :D

if the images are appropriately sized to each other, you seem to have some impressively sized CLs :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, amazing graphics! :cool: It’s late at night here so I’ll look in more detail and update my comment in the morning. :)

Edit: Had to get it up on my PC screen to do it justice. Great detailed work on the orbat - interested to see how those standard divisions go when it comes to the 'big one'.

I just adore the ship profiles and the scaling (as others have mentioned). Can I ask what program you use for those and the type of picture file to get the background effect?

I'm also looking forward to how COMM Assman goes in the naval war :p. Sorry, the cheap shooter in me simply couldn't resist that! :D

The funny thing about shiny peacetime orbats, deployments and command structures is how quickly it all gets scrambled up when the reality of war takes hold. Depending on how successfully things go, it will be instructive to see what the equivalent looks like after a few rough months on the battlefield.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A nice little overview. I'm looking forward to seeing what Germany does with all those units after Poland. There's a significant Atlantic fleet, and better than OTL submarines, I'm curious to see if your naval bet has paid off, and how it did. (or didn't)

Well, the next update (or possibly a few updates... I might try and make them last because it's quite a bit of action!) is all about the Kriegsmarine and the Battles of the North Sea and Kattegat with the Royal Navy. Although after looking I've got the background posts (which might probably go away now that we're into the war) but then certainly the Naval Action!

I do thoroughly enjoy it when things are to scale...

Scale was hopefully appropriate. I also hope that the people that made those graphics are happy with their work, because I have to admit that it's amazing.

I suitably enjoyed and am impressed :) Also thought OOB overview very HoI3-appropriate :cool:

Thanks, Axe! I'm fairly certain that you'll enjoy the next series of posts--as I mentioned above, it's all naval combat!

such detailed work! thank you for the update, looking forward to what is going to happen :D

if the images are appropriately sized to each other, you seem to have some impressively sized CLs :)

Indeed. I looked at that, to make sure that I wasn't completely out of the realm of possibility, and the Germans had a plan to arm the Seydlitz with 5.9" guns (150mm), which is the version represented there.

Wow, amazing graphics! :cool: It’s late at night here so I’ll look in more detail and update my comment in the morning. :)

Can't wait!

Reactions:
I also hope that the people that made those graphics are happy with their work, because I have to admit that it's amazing.
It definitely is impressive. It takes a significant of time to draw such a detailed side-view of a ship, whatever the medium. Not to mention the research that went into getting the details and the paint-schemes just so. You making sure it's all to scale is the best way to respect their artwork.

Reactions:
Do you need another post saying the graphics were excellent? Yes, why not. :D

Also Type XXIE U-boat, the cargo version? Interesting. Provision for shuffling supplies between Germany and Japan? Or just Paradoxian cockup? Naturally I suspect the latter. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
It definitely is impressive. It takes a significant of time to draw such a detailed side-view of a ship, whatever the medium. Not to mention the research that went into getting the details and the paint-schemes just so. You making sure it's all to scale is the best way to respect their artwork.

I appreciate it, I tried to work diligently to bring their creations to life. I did take a few short cuts... Some of the lifelines weren't completely redone but tried to make sure everything was clear enough to see the guns.

Do you need another post saying the graphics were excellent? Yes, why not. :D

Also Type XXIE U-boat, the cargo version? Interesting. Provision for shuffling supplies between Germany and Japan? Or just Paradoxian cockup? Naturally I suspect the latter. ;)

Thank you! Always love hearing it. And you might note that every time a new type class has been sent into production, a letter advances in the name. Or perhaps (much like how the Germans did their ship classes), the design bureaus sent in their plans and whichever design got the nod gets the letter... I iterated through them some. Paradox screws the designs up so bad...

Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Oh my, what a gorgeous update.

Those pre-dreadnaughts are starting to look very long in the tooth though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Edit: Had to get it up on my PC screen to do it justice. Great detailed work on the orbat - interested to see how those standard divisions go when it comes to the 'big one'.

They do alright. There was a big scramble in the Heer's offices when they realized that they didn't have enough leg infantry to hold the line, so the majority of those Reserve-Divisionen were retrained into regular Infantrie-divisionen. That brought in extra AA brigades and given the amount of armor that the Soviets had, a need to bring in AT, which caused something of a ripple throughout as divisions started being rotated into the older corps and so the numbering system went to hell in a handbasket. There's three or so versions of a "regular" pattern infantry division (3xINF, 1xART being the basis for the regular and 2xINF, 1xAA, 1xAT for the Light), but I'll see about conveying that in the future.

I just adore the ship profiles and the scaling (as others have mentioned). Can I ask what program you use for those and the type of picture file to get the background effect?

I used Piktochart, which is a free infographic creator. They used to have unlimited free storage, but now they limit new non-pro (ie, non-paying) customers to five. I made the above post in one infographic, but through the use of their "blocks" was able to break it down into multiple images, and set the background to the forum's colour. I used paint.net to recolour the background into the forum colour. The biggest pain was hitting all of the little spots (and even then, I didn't do them all... compare the Leipzig-class to the K-class) and making sure that it didn't bleed into some of the other spots that didn't need to be coloured.

I'm also looking forward to how COMM Assman goes in the naval war :p. Sorry, the cheap shooter in me simply couldn't resist that! :D

I don't know if he survives, honestly! I lost several squadrons of uBoats, and KuBA was one of the groups lost, and early in the war too!

The funny thing about shiny peacetime orbats, deployments and command structures is how quickly it all gets scrambled up when the reality of war takes hold. Depending on how successfully things go, it will be instructive to see what the equivalent looks like after a few rough months on the battlefield.

See the above! I try to have a rationale for everything that is happening on the battlefield, but sometimes, it just doesn't work out like that. Then again, sometimes I'm trying to handicap myself a bit, like when I pulled the entire Panzerarmee out of service to conduct a big refit... leaving almost no mechanized forces available for offensive operations...

Oh my, what a gorgeous update.

Those pre-dreadnaughts are starting to look very long in the tooth though.

Verily, they are ancient. I think that I'm going to bring in a system (especially for the majors) that I can't have more than half of the navies or air forces operating at once, and that any usage of an air/naval force must be balanced with them remaining in port for a certain length of time. This to prevent just having ships cruising for months on end with no penalty for either side.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Last edited:
Reactions:
Reactions:
wow some nice ships those Italians have :)

• 1Like
Reactions: