• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ehdgus1950

Private
63 Badges
Oct 9, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
I used a Google translator because I am not good at English.
I don't know where to put it, so I put it here.

1)
Traditions:
+10% Land fire damage
+1 Attrition for enemies
::Korea has long been famous for archery. After introducing the matchlock gun, it was also famous for shooting, and it was a sinpe, not a line battle.
::https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righteous_army

Hunminjeongeum(The Hangul Alphabet) 훈민정음
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunminjeongeum
−5% Technology cost
+10% Institution spread
::Why is Hangul 5% when there are 10% characters in Manchuria?

Gyeongguk_daejeon(Grand Code for State Administration) 경국대전
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyeongguk_daejeon
+0.25 Yearly harmony
−1 National unrest
::Gyeonggukdaejeon is a law books based on Confucian order.

Hyang'yak System 향약
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyangyak
−0.05 Monthly autonomy change
+5% Production efficiency
::Through Hyangyak, the government tried to stabilize the system by preventing the exodus of farmers and rallying them into the community.

Geobukseon 거북선
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_ship
+5% Ship durability
::Koreans want to raise the percentage of this ideology further, but I don't recommend this.

Reform the Army 군제 개편
+5% Discipline

https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/오군영
I can't find it in english wikipedia.
::reform the 오위O-Wi and 진군Jin-Gun to 오군영O-Gun-Young(삼수병Sam-Su-Byoung[Central army]) and 속오군Sok-O-Gun[Regional army].
Ogunyoung(Five Barracks Division)
Samsubyoung is Ogunyoung's army.(close combat, bow and gun's three battalions)

:: During the Japanese invasions(Imjin war, 1592-1598), the Korean army collapsed. To rebuild the army, Korea reorganized its military from the Owi-Jingun system to the Ogunyoung-Sokogun system. Ogunyoung was mainly composed of three battalions of close combat, bow and gun. Starting with the installation of the Hunryeondogam in 1593, Geumwiyoung was installed in 1682, and Ogunyoung was all installed.

Military Training Agency
King Seonjo and the Korean court finally began to reform the military. In September 1593, the Military Training Agency (훈련도감, alternately translated as Military Training Command) was established. The agency carefully divided the army into units and companies. Within the companies were squads of archers, arquebusers, swordsmen, and spear infantry. The agency set up divisional units in each region of Korea and garrisoned battalions at castles. The agency, which originally had less than 80 troops, soon grew to about 10,000.
One of the most important changes was that both upper class citizens and slaves were subject to the draft. All males had to enter military service be trained and familiarized with weapons.
It was also around this time that the military scholar Han Gyo (한교) wrote the martial arts manual Muyejebo, based on the book Jixiao Xinshu by the famous Chinese general Qi Jiguang.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea_(1592–1598)#Military_Training_Agency

Dae-dong-beop 대동법
+10% National tax modifier

https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/대동법
I can't find it in english wikipedia.

:: Daedongbeop(Daedong-Law) similar to Single Whip Law. But Daedongbeop collected taxes only on rice(쌀米), hemp cloth(베布), and money(돈錢), not silver. Daedong大同 mean Public, General. Daedong is the ideal social aspect of Confucianism.(It's a story about Eastern thought, so it's hard to explain.) Daedongbeop was gradually established in each province over the 17th and 18th centuries, repeating its practice and elimination.

The Kyujanggak 규장각
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyujanggak
−10% Idea cost

Ambition:
−10% Advisor cost
::Joseon is a highly centralized kingdom and consists of three prime-ministers(Sam-JungSeung) and six officials under the king. The king had to coordinate the factions of the officials and lead state affairs.

2)
82791_0.gif

https://dbscthumb-phinf.pstatic.net...701_XHDG0S992.gif/82791_0.gif?type=ori_1&wm=N
(image link)

The Joseon Dynasty owned the Sagun(four districts) area in 1444. However, it was difficult to protect the four districts because they were barren and had no access to roads. So in 1455, we eliminated three of the four districts, and in 1459, we eliminated the remaining one. Later, it remained as Joseon's land for form, but it was not managed. It wasn't until the late 19th century that the Joseon government began to manage the area again. It looks like it's a good idea to make this area impassable.

3)
Don't let the names of the kings of the East appear in the names of King Sejong II. In the East, a king cannot have duplicate titles in a country.

4)
Cheong-ju -> Gong-ju or Hong-ju
Please change the terrain of Sangju to a hill and the terrain of Naju to Plain.
I don't know why Hamgyeong-do is changing into Jurchen culture, but I won't mention it because I heard that you are changing your mission tree.

5)
Originally, I would not talk about trade nodes, but I will talk about Joseon nodes when I see the creation of Valencia nodes. I hope you make a separate Korean node. Korea sold goods to Japan and imported them from China. Trade between Korea and Japan was limited to areas limited by trade restrictions by the Joseon government, which was also closed due to the Japanese people's turbulence. This happened decades before the Imjin War. Afterwards, trade will resume again at the request of Tokugawa Makbu. The Joseon Dynasty also granted tribute to the Jurchen tribes and managed the numbers that were subjugated. Let trade nodes from Japan and Jilin flow to Korea, and let Jilin and Korean nodes flow to Beijing.

6)
In addition, please don't change the last name of the kings of the Confucian countries. In the East, this is unimaginable, and changing the royal family name is changing the state. When Wang of Goryeo changed to Yi, the territory remained the same, but the name of the kingdom changed to Joseon. In the East, this is called the Reversal Revolution, and the state was treated as a property of a king's individual. In France, the Café dynasty is changed to the Bourbon dynasty, but not in the East.

This is my personal opinion and I'm going to inform you that Joseon has these kind of things. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now, I'm not great at balancing ideas so I'll skip the first point.

2)

The Joseon Dynasty owned the Sagun(four districts) area in 1444. However, it was difficult to protect the four districts because they were barren and had no access to roads. So in 1455, we eliminated three of the four districts, and in 1459, we eliminated the remaining one. Later, it remained as Joseon's land for form, but it was not managed. It wasn't until the late 19th century that the Joseon government began to manage the area again. It looks like it's a good idea to make this area impassable.

If you look in the latest dev diary, there is a mountain range between northern Joseon and the Jurchens.

3)
Don't let the names of the kings of the East appear in the names of King Sejong II. In the East, a king cannot have duplicate titles in a country.
Definitely agree with this, I have no idea how it would be possible though. The current in-game Korean culture names are terrible, and are mainly the temple names of the Joseon kings without the -jong or -jo suffix. I have written a suggestion with historical names of the Joseon kings as well as some two syllable names. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/korean-culture-names.1164929/#post-25322435

4)
Cheong-ju -> Gong-ju or Hong-ju

I do agree that Cheongju appears to not be located in the province that bears its name. Gongju or Hongju seem to a better fit for that province rather than Cheongju.

6285_0.gif

https://dbscthumb-phinf.pstatic.net...7398_NOG3VZ7I1.gif/6285_0.gif?type=ori_1&wm=N
(image link)

2) I've seen the latest diary, but what I've been talking about is that the Ganggye province is still too big. Even now, Jagang-do(자강도) and Yanggang-do(양강도) is very sparsely populated, and the path of Hamkyong-do runs along the eastern coast, avoiding the Gaema Plateau(개마고원).

3) The name of King Sejong of Joseon was Lee-do(이도) in 1444. Sejong is a name that evaluates the king's reign after his death. Most Korean names are made using Chinese characters. Since the Chinese characters written in the king's name could not be written in the names of all the people of Joseon, most of the king's names were made with one letter and difficult letters. The last name of the Joseon royal family is Jeonju Lee(Lee from Jeonju), and in 1444, King Sejong of the Joseon Dynasty named Do and his son Munjong(Temple name) named Hyang. In Korea, Last name comes before and the name comes after. If you fix your Korean name Lee-Do in English, you will be Do-Lee.

The names you have written seem pretty good, but I think there are many modern Korean names.(especially the name of a woman) Korean name is usually two letters. A last name is usually one letter, but one last two letters.
And in the Ship names category, Jangbaek is the Korean pronunciation of Changbai, and Korea calls ChangBai Mt.Baekdu(백두산).

4) Yes. The name of Chungcheong-Do comes from the names of Chungju and Cheongju, the largest cities in Chungcheong-Do. However, there is no Cheongju in Cheongju Province at present because of the location of Joseon Province. That's why I want you to change your name to Gongju, which is the most representative of Cheongju Province's present.

Last edited:
2) I've seen the latest diary, but what I've been talking about is that the Ganggye province is still too big. Even now, Jagang-do(자강도) and Yanggang-do(양강도) is very sparsely populated, and the path of Hamkyong-do runs along the eastern coast, avoiding the Gaema Plateau(개마고원).
Your original post mentioned nothing about splitting Ganggye. I agree that Ganggye could be split, I just don't agree that it should be the 4 Gun. Instead, a new province could be formed from the eastern part of Ganggye, consisting of land that would have be administered by Hamgyeongdo, roughly equivalent to North Korea's modern Yanggangdo province.

The names you have written seem pretty good, but I think there are many modern Korean names.(especially the name of a woman) Korean name is usually two letters.

As I mentioned in my original post then, I have not drastically changed the female Korean names and mostly kept Paradox's version. I've only added the personal names of famous women from the Joseon era, such as the gisaeng, Hwang Jinyi, and the mother of Yulgok Yi I, Shin Saimdang. It is difficult to find female Korean names from the Joseon era compared to male names, which can easily be found simply by reading your clan's jokbo. One of the reasons I suggested revising the Korean names was the utter lack of two character names in the male name list.

And in the Ship names category, Jangbaek is the Korean pronunciation of Changbai, and Korea calls ChangBai Mt.Baekdu(백두산).
Jangbaek also refers to the mountain range, the Jangbaeksanmaek (장백산맥), which is why I kept Jangbaek with Baekdu for the ship names.

) Yes. The name of Chungcheong-Do comes from the names of Chungju and Cheongju, the largest cities in Chungcheong-Do. However, there is no Cheongju in Cheongju Province at present because of the location of Joseon Province. That's why I want you to change your name to Gongju, which is the most representative of Cheongju Province's present.
Joseon province? I assume you are refering to EU4's Chungju province , right?

Your original post mentioned nothing about splitting Ganggye. I agree that Ganggye could be split, I just don't agree that it should be the 4 Gun. Instead, a new province could be formed from the eastern part of Ganggye, consisting of land that would have be administered by Hamgyeongdo, roughly equivalent to North Korea's modern Yanggangdo province.

: The impassable area I was originally going to talk to has been identified in the diary. But I want to reduce the size of the Ganggye Province and make the impassable areas larger for reasons of high antiquity. It's not that I want to increase the number of Province.

Jangbaek also refers to the mountain range, the Jangbaeksanmaek (장백산맥), which is why I kept Jangbaek with Baekdu for the ship names.

: I understand, but I think Koreans don't know much about the Jangbaek Mountains.

Joseon province? I assume you are refering to EU4's Chungju province , right?

: Yes. As I said earlier, I am using a translator. The misspelled words are corrected but cannot be corrected completely.

I would like to see korea be a little bit stronger. They survived on their own for so long but from what I hear were relatively pacifist(but then again in a world full of warmongers it is easy to be relatively pacifist). It is strange because in civ koreans are OP but in EU4 they seem to be a minor nothing nation. They were one of the major countries of the region at the time. Actually for a long while korea was more advanced and better off than japan. I'm not saying you should make korea more rich than japan I'm just saying that maybe they should at least be better off than the barbarian tribes of the north. I know that is probably so they can theoretically take over ming but I just remember one time I heard that they took over just because ming was in a state of civil war at the time and they picked up the pieces. Also Choson was bigger than the countries of north and south korea combined. They had control of manchuria. I guess paradox was thinking about when it became the hermit kingdom but there was a long period of time that korea was actually very advanced. I don't take it personally though. Basically they tried to make all of east asia except japan suck for some reason.

Also maybe Hwachas should give a +10 bonus to artillery combat ability for a national idea even though that is really strong in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I would like to see korea be a little bit stronger. They survived on their own for so long but from what I hear were relatively pacifist(but then again in a world full of warmongers it is easy to be relatively pacifist). It is strange because in civ koreans are OP but in EU4 they seem to be a minor nothing nation. They were one of the major countries of the region at the time. Actually for a long while korea was more advanced and better off than japan. I'm not saying you should make korea more rich than japan I'm just saying that maybe they should at least be better off than the barbarian tribes of the north. I know that is probably so they can theoretically take over ming but I just remember one time I heard that they took over just because ming was in a state of civil war at the time and they picked up the pieces. Also Choson was bigger than the countries of north and south korea combined. They had control of manchuria. I was watching siu king and he things a lot of things were a slap in the face of a chinese person but allow it is kind of a slap in the face of a korean person as well. I guess paradox was thinking about when it became the hermit kingdom but there was a long period of time that korea was actually very advanced. I don't take it personally though. Basically they tried to make all of east asia except japan suck for some reason.

Also maybe Hwachas should give a +10 bonus to artillery combat ability for a national idea even though that is really strong in this game.

Honestly, both Korea and China are way weaker than should be. There is absolutely no way that Jianzhou should even stand a chance against Joseon dynasty Korea in 1444. However, it's mainly for balance reasons that Korea and China are kept so weak right now. I do hope that Korea has at least more development than any of the Jurchen tribes in 1.29, as the Korean peninsula was much more developed than Manchuria. The Joseon Dynasty of the Jeonju Yi's never had direct control of Manchuria, although they did once have Jianzhou as a tributary state a few years before 1444. Joseon's territory is equivalent to the combined territories of North and South Korea. We'll see what happens to Korea in the next dev diary.

I would like to see korea be a little bit stronger. They survived on their own for so long but from what I hear were relatively pacifist(but then again in a world full of warmongers it is easy to be relatively pacifist). It is strange because in civ koreans are OP but in EU4 they seem to be a minor nothing nation. They were one of the major countries of the region at the time. Actually for a long while korea was more advanced and better off than japan. I'm not saying you should make korea more rich than japan I'm just saying that maybe they should at least be better off than the barbarian tribes of the north. I know that is probably so they can theoretically take over ming but I just remember one time I heard that they took over just because ming was in a state of civil war at the time and they picked up the pieces. Also Choson was bigger than the countries of north and south korea combined. They had control of manchuria. I guess paradox was thinking about when it became the hermit kingdom but there was a long period of time that korea was actually very advanced. I don't take it personally though. Basically they tried to make all of east asia except japan suck for some reason.

Well, I don't think Joseon has a permanent claim in Manchuria unless you're talking about Gojoseon(Old-Joseon, ~BC 108). Although the boundary between Ming and Joseon in the Liaoning-Aprok River area was uncertain during this time, Joseon did not attempt to localize the area, and thus became a territory of Ming.
I totally agree that Hwacha is a great weapon. However, in the early Joseon period, there are many national idea to have except Hwacha, and since Hwacha has not been deployed in large quantities due to the lack of gunpowder in Joseon, I would like to personally give them as modifiers.

Honestly, both Korea and China are way weaker than should be. There is absolutely no way that Jianzhou should even stand a chance against Joseon dynasty Korea in 1444. However, it's mainly for balance reasons that Korea and China are kept so weak right now. I do hope that Korea has at least more development than any of the Jurchen tribes in 1.29, as the Korean peninsula was much more developed than Manchuria. The Joseon Dynasty of the Jeonju Yi's never had direct control of Manchuria, although they did once have Jianzhou as a tributary state a few years before 1444. Joseon's territory is equivalent to the combined territories of North and South Korea. We'll see what happens to Korea in the next dev diary.
As you say, Joseon did not expand to the north. Ming also did not extend to Jianzhou or Mongolia. The nomadic areas were desolate land and were too wide to dominate and too resistant to rule, so Joseon and Ming were content to guard their border. It was only after Russia expanded to Siberia that the Mongol nomads lost their place to flee, and the Qing Dynasty was finally able to completely conquer Mongolia and East Turkistan.
In addition, Koreans are generally satisfied with this diary. Except for the lack of a national idea overhaul. Although the Paradox Company has reorganized various parts of East Asia, the Joseon Dynasty has rarely changed, and people are happy that Joseon has changed together in the Manchurian patch. Personally, I wish there was an event-chain involved in the so-called "Gyeyoojeongnan" of Joseon and the rise of "Sejo", rather than the unimportant "Im Kok-jeong's Rebellion". Gyeyoojeongnan is the largest political event in the early Joseon Dynasty and an event that cannot be omitted when putting in an event about Joseon.