• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very sad to hear about the heavy losses by the Royal Australian Navy, especially both HMAS Australia and Canberra. :(
Well, this is just great. If this keeps up, the Japanese will lose their naval dominance in the Pacific sometime in 1947, as the USA follows a strategy of building and losing six BBs at a time to sink one Japanese vessel, which still succeeds by sheer dint of the massive USA IC.
Yes, the Allies, despite having more ships than the Japanese, are just squandering away all of it by showing up to fights with smaller fleets, and thus despite the Allies having many more Fleets, the japs win because their fleets are bigger. Also the USN is doing nothing, except for some light convoy raiding off their own coast...

That is a big upgrade bill indeed - those tech advances do have a significant industrial cost, but are crucial. You gotta. ;)
It's all about keeping up with the Johannes'.

Supply costs are getting high too - hopefully the improved supply org will help a bit. I really need to visit supply tech again in my game, as the costs of an offensive with quite a bit (in relative terms) of armour and air support are quite substantial.
Supply techs are essential to get them most out of your infrastructure. If you have a small and lightly armed army that's deployed close to home, I wouldn't bother. That said, in your AAR, Turkey has moved away from the small army close to home, towards ever heavier units, ever more air support, and ever further away from the supply hub. It definitely makes sense now for Turkey.

I can see the exploits of this Far East partisan group will need to be followed. Given the factions and representatives of interested parties there, I will report “just the facts, ma’am” and leave the interpretation in the hands of eager reporters, propagandists, agit-prop exponents and other fanfic enthusiasts! :D:cool:
I have no idea what you're talking about. (plausible deniability)

Next up, something something infrastructure improvements... You'll see.

Last edited:
I can see the exploits of this Far East partisan group will need to be followed. Given the factions and representatives of interested parties there, I will report “just the facts, ma’am” and leave the interpretation in the hands of eager reporters, propagandists, agit-prop exponents and other fanfic enthusiasts! :D:cool:

Wait a second...which AAR is this again? :eek:

I have no idea what you're talking about. (plausible deniability)
Oops, that’s what you get from doing your comments late at night on a little phone screen :oops: Wrong alternative reality :D

Oops, that’s what you get from doing your comments late at night on a little phone screen :oops: Wrong alternative reality :D

If it's any comfort, I hit "Agree" and thought nothing of it until the next time i visited this thread. I'm really just glad I'm not the only one who can't keep the Comintern AARs on this forum straight! :p

I'm really just glad I'm not the only one who can't keep the Comintern AARs on this forum straight! :p
Actually it's the one where Comintern fights the Axis, there is a female spy character, an obscure secret organisation, etc. I don't get how you could go wrong. Now all we need is for Turkey to join the Comintern in this ATL too, just to make them easier to distinguish from one-another.

You knew the risks when you went into it... it could have been even funnier if your comment had actually been perfectly relevant, would have been entirely possible.

9th of July 1942, 'Odin', 'Devyat', Railway electrification, and resupply by rail, Infrastructure update #16
The 9th of July 1942, Mozhaysk, 10,2°C, 6pm Moscow Time

After a day in Moskva, I travelled to Mozhaysk following an invitation from 'Devyat'. The train I took from Moskva was held up a couple of times, but never more than 5 minutes at a time, the 110km journey took about 1:45 hours. In peacetime, the express train would do the same trip in 1:05. The station, and especially the train yard next to it, were abuzz with activity. The infrastructure meeting took place in a conference room on the first floor of the station. I found my seat in the back of the room, while 'Devyat' went to the front to present completed and proposed infrastructure improvements. But before that, he clarified why the meeting was taking place in Mozhaysk:

"Since the war has started, our railway workers have been working day and night. Recently decommissioned locomotives and carriages have been pushed back into service, and production of new locomotives has been accelerated. Recently retired personnel has been drafted back into work to run these older trains. Crews now stay with their train until it has reached it's destination, so that trains don't have to stop at regional boundaries to change crews. Currently 93% of all transport in the Soviet Union happens by rail.

The line between Moskva and
Viaz'ma is the main artery of supplies and fuel for the German front north of the Pripyat, nearly all the supplies and fuel for the 2nd Army Group, and all those for the Armoured Army Group come through this railway corridor. He pointed out of the window, at a supply train that was just leaving the rail yard, pulled by an FD-21 steam locomotive.

Moskva_Mozhaysk-min.jpg

The railway line between Moskva and Mozhaysk (through the Naro Fominsk area). This is an American-made map from 1953. I expect the railway line to have followed the same path in 1942.

The 110 km between
Moskva and Mozhaysk has been upgraded in recent years, a third track was added (and a 4th in some places), and it is fully electrified. The trains on the line are pulled by 'Vladimir Lenin' VL-19 electric locomotives, with a power output of 2.040 kW (2.740 hp). We've made a lot of progress in recent years, improving throughput dramatically. Thanks to rheostatic braking (using the electric engine in reverse to slow down rather quickly, while producing electricity) shortening emergency braking distances, and the fact that electric locomotives don't need to be topped up with coal and water several times every day, the maximum throughput up to Mozhaysk is amongst the highest in the Soviet Union. Only the quad-tracked lines of Moskva's urban railway lines have a higher capacity.

Vl19-14-min.jpg

The VL-19 Soviet-built electric locomotive. It is driven by 6 300 kW electric motors (1.800 kW or 2.414 hp in total), which power 6 powered axles, giving it excellent low speed acceleration characteristics. Prewar versions produced a healthy 14.600 kgf (32.187 lbs) of tractive effort, allowing them to pull 1.500 ton trains at a speed up to 40 km/h.
In the last week, or so, we've started using double traction, and reduced the size of signal blocks, to 800m increase it further still. The trains are loaded and formed directly outside the massive Supply depots and fuel storage facilities dotted around the outskirts of Moskva, they then use Moskva's excellent peripheral rail network to get to the right line, most often this one. These trains typically weigh about 2.500 tonnes fully loaded (not including the weight of the locomotives), and are each pulled, until Mozhaysk, by twin VI-19 locomotives, at an average speed of 40 km/h. I will now go into more detail, but before I do so, a disclaimer. In this analysis, the trains necessary to feed and supply the railroads and their workers will be counted as 'supply trains' for the sake of simplicity, and also because this reflects the reality that 'supply trains' often include food, spare parts, coal, sometimes even water, for railway usage, as well as military equipment and vehicles. Mixed consists are the norm here, except for petroleum products, gasoline of various grades, oil, diesel, which have separate trains, as a safety precaution.

Trains carrying supplies, equipment, and vehicles have an average length of about 870m, carrying up to 1.620 tonnes of goods. Those moving fuel are much shorter for the same weight, being shorter than 400m, carrying 1.800 cubic metres of fuel. (1.350 tonnes). In total, we can safely move 331.200 cubic metres of fuel (184 fuel trains), and 576.720 tonnes of other goods (356 supply trains) on this line every day. And some days, that's exactly how much is moved. The problem we face is that after Mozhaysk, the line isn't electrified, and thus we have to swap the twin electric VL 19 locomotives for steam locomotives. We try to maximise throughput by using FD-class locomotives. A single FD-20 or FD-21 can pull the same train as two Vladimir Lenin VL-19's at an average speed of 25 km/h. Steam trains also have to stop for coal and water every so often, bringing down their average speed.

T34OnTrain-min.jpg

A T-34 tank on a supply train, which is waiting for it's steam locomotive. You can clearly seen how the consists are assembled ad hoc, using flat cars and enclosed cars, depending on the needs at the front.
Thanks to the heroic efforts of our railroad workers, the rest of the line, all the way to Smolensk and Vitsyebsk, as well as the southern branch line to Homel, have gotten small improvements to allow a maximum daily throughput of 261.000 cubic metres of fuel (145 fuel trains) and 455.220 tonnes of supplies (281 supply trains). This is still amongst the highest in the Soviet Union, but it's not enough. The 90 km stretch between Mozhaysk and Viaz'ma has been saturated with trains since the war with Germany started. The Moskva-Viaz'ma line, before the junctions where many South-West-bound and North-West-bound trains branch off towards Homel and towards the Baltic SSRs, is the busiest in the Soviet Union. Despite the excellent infrastructure, not enough supplies and fuel are getting though. This is why we're having our infrastructure meeting in the station building here, with a view on the operations, outside, where railway crews relentlessly swap electric locomotives for steam locomotives, and vice-versa for incoming trains.

During peacetime, steam trains were used for most freight into Moskva, but with the increased demand due to the war, we need to take every advantage we can get. This means that Moscow's urban passenger railways are running with old steam locomotives, to allow the vast majority of the Soviet Union's electric locomotives to be deployed on this stretch of track. We need 200 VL-19 locomotives to operate at maximum capacity. Of course, we don't do this most of the time because the track to Viaz'ma has a lower throughput, so in reality, we currently use about 160 locomotives to do the job. The railway ministry has ordered a significant increase in the production of VL-19 electric locomotives from the 'Dynamo' factory in Moskva, which produces the electric motors, and the locomotive plant in Kolomna, which does the final assembly.

BunchOfFD-20-min.jpg

A row of FD-20 and FD-21s waiting to be paired up with trains in Mozhaysk. The use of multiple traction could allow for higher through put in certain situation, though even larger trains would probably have to be broken up again closer to the front, which would add an additional stop, and more time, to the journey.
The FD-20, and FD-21 locomotives were the biggest and most modern prewar mainline freight locomotives of the Soviet Union (if you don't count one-offs and prototypes). The design process was parallel to that of the IS passenger express locomotives. The first drawings date back to 1925, and the first 1-5-2 design was ready for production in 1926. As there were no factories in the Soviet Union that could build locomotives of this size, the Lugansk Steam Locomotive Plant (Voroshilovgrad) had to be expanded first, breaking ground on new facilities in 1927. During the construction of the plant, specifications were modified, the axle load had to be brought down to 20 tons, as most of the Soviet network couldn't handle anything higher than that. A new design was drawn up in 1930, a few prototypes were built, but this design too wasn't adapted to the realities of the time, assuming the advent of automatic couplers, which never saw the light of day, amongst other things. After extensive modifications to the 1930 design, the production-ready prototype was unveiled near the end of 1931 and after it proved particularly efficient, surpassing specifications and expectations alike, production finally started in early 1932, 3.213 were put into service by 1942. The 1-5-1 axle layout, was typical for locomotives in this role across Europe, it increased friction and lower-speed traction, sacrificing top speed performance. With a large 3.100 hp super-heated boiler, a two-cylinder propulsion system and effective axle layout, tractive effort was high at 21.200 kgf (FD-20) to 23.300 kgf (FD-21) (46.738 / 51.368 lbs). Officially, they were rated to pull 2.500 ton trains, but there are some wartime reports that indicate that they were able, when pushed, to pull 3.000 ton trains through the Urals. (some sources talk of 4.000 ton trains, though that seems a bit of a stretch). They were a mainstay of mainline freight before and during the war, sharing this role with older US-built locomotives. (Series E, Baldwin, 0-5-0)

The proposed plan is to electrify the line up to Viaz'ma to speed things along, and to improve alternate routes at the same time, including 2 branch lines. One through Myatlevo, and another through Obninsk and Juhnov. These should provide a viable alternative for South-West-bound traffic, which currently represents more than a third of the trains going though the Mohaysk-Viaz'ma corridor..."

The rest of the meeting was spent going over completed infrastructure projects, and green lighting new infrastructure projects.

The following projects have been completed:

-Transsiberian railroad, Omsk-Novosibirsk-Irkutsk:
Infrastructure has been upgraded to 'Level 7' in
Tartarsk, Blinkovo, Gzhatsk, Novosibirsk, Leninsk Kuzneckij and Kemerovo.

-Leningrad-Oulu Railroad

Infrastructure has been upgraded to 'Level 5' in
Kuusjärvi and to 'Level 4 in Vuolijoki.

-
Moskva peripheral railway network:
Infrastructure has been upgraded to 'Level 9' in
Istra, Podolsk, Klin and Ozyory, and to 'Level 6' in Myatlevo, Ivanovo and Dulyapino.

-
Aksenovo Zilovskoye Air Base side-branch of the Trans-Siberian Railroad:
Infrastructure has been improved to 'Level 5' in
Aksenovo Zilovskoye.

-
Moskva-Orel-Kursk Railroad:
Infrastructure has been upgraded to 'Level 7' in
Mtensk and Novosil.
After much debate, the roads and/or railways will now be upgraded in the following 20 provinces:

-Transsiberian railroad, Omsk-Novosibirsk-Irkutsk:
Infrastructure will be upgraded to 'Level 7' in
Mariinsk, Bogatol, Uzhur, Acinsk and Krasnojarsk.

-Muonio river / Swedish border Railroad

Infrastructure will be upgraded to 'Level 3' in
Muonio

-
Leningrad-Oulu Railroad

Infrastructure will be upgraded to 'Level 4 in
Kestilä.

-
Moskva area railway network:
Infrastructure will be upgraded to 'Level 9' (electrification) in
Mozhaysk, Viaz'ma and Venev, to 'Level 8' in Obninsk, Serpuhov and Ivanovskoye,
and to 'Level 7' in
Myatelevo and Juhnov.

-Amur river Railroad (
Khabarovsk-Nikolayevsk na Amure):
Infrastructure will be improved to 'Level 4' in
Dzhuen.

-
Moskva-Orel-Kursk Railroad:
Infrastructure will be upgraded to 'Level 8' in Mtensk and Novosil.
With a war on our hands, funding was not increased. The test of supplying the Red Army at war showed a few bottlenecks near Moskva, where electrification and triple-tracking efforts have been increased. Electrification up to Viaz'ma and the improvement of alternative routes should allow for even more trains to run in this particularly busy area.

A 116 km strech north of
Orel continues to be improved with the addition of passing tracks, effectively making the line triple-tracked for most of the way. The continued improvement of this 'weakest link' in the Moskva-Orel-Kursk line should help supplies flow towards Crimea and the Eastern part of the Ukrainian SSR.

Work has started on an additional defensive line along the Amur river in the far east, but with a low priority. Work on the double-tracking of the trans-Siberian railroad has also slowed somewhat.

In
Finland the narrow-gauge railway along the Swedish border is slowly being upgraded to Russian standard gauge towards the Norwegian border, keeping in mind the possibility of a future Oulu-Tromsö-Narvik railway line.

The new upgrades should be complete by mid-October, at which point their impact will be evaluated, and further improvements will be discussed. I rode back to
Moskva in the cabin of a VL-19 locomotive, which was pulling a mostly empty mixed consist of flatcars and enclosed cars, at over 60 km/h. Vladimir Lenin would have been proud.

I'll soon return to covering the war at the front,

'Odin'

Some more information:
Electrification of the busier parts of the Soviet Railway network was a bit of a pet project for Vladimir Lenin. It didn't get past the planning stage before his death in 1924. The first 19 km long electrified line (1.200 V DC) was opened in 1926 in Baku, it was used mostly by commuter motorcars. In 1929, the 18 km Moskva-Mytiski suburban railway line was electrified (1.500 V DC).

In the 1930s electrification efforts were increased, and a standard of 3.000 V DC was put in place. Most of the electrification happened in and around Moscow, and in the Baku area, though there was also an electric line in Georgia. By 1940 1.800 km of track was electrified. This represented ca. 1,8% of the entire Soviet Railway network, and 2% of all rail-freight. The start of the war cut short electrification efforts, and in 1941, the total stood at 1.940 km.

As a nod to the original instigator of the electrification programme, most electric locomotives built in the Soviet Union would be named after Vladimir Lenin. (Several large steam locomotives were named after Iosif Stalin) Originally, small numbers of US-built, and Italian-built electric locomotives were purchased, though soon they were copied and improved upon by Soviet constructors. The first domestically designed and built electric locomotive type was the VL-19, of which 145 were built starting in 1932. In TTL, I'm assuming production continued into 1942 and thus more were delivered. As mentioned above, the advantages of electric traction are significant, especially on busy or steep stretches of track. Electrification of the Soviet network continued after the war, and was even accelerated. By the fall of the Berlin wall, over 53.000 km were electrified, representing over 36% of the network, and over 63% of rail freight. Electrification has picked up in recent years, with over 85.000 km electrified now (15th of May 2019). Not to mention the construction of the 'high-speed' line between Moscow and St-Petersburg.

Belgium is still more heavily electrified, with the densest railway network in the world, where 3.064 of 3.607 kms are electrified (2010), though electrification has pretty-much stopped, as the non-electrified lines don't see enough trafic for it to be worthwhile. Diesel trains are the exception over here. Interestingly electrification in Belgium is also 3.000 V DC, like in Russia, and unlike in the Netherlands.

The Soviet Union was ahead of the curve on electrification (the US had more electrified kms, but they represented a smaller fraction of their network), but somewhat behind the curve on the development of efficient diesel-electric locomotives.

Last edited:
An interesting take on the supply situation in the Soviet Union. Great to see everything has a logical explanation!

Some expert train spotting there! It will all come into its own when the filthy Hitlerites have been stopped and then thrown back. I hope the engineers are working on plans to improve infrastructure all the way to Berlin! :D

Some expert train spotting there!
I started doing some research into the situation of the Soviet Railways, as I wanted to properly illustrate the massive role played by the Soviet railways in the Red Army's victory, especially in that first year. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of electrification back then. The FD-20 also seems to be an absolutely brilliant locomotive for it's role. Even if the wartime stories I read were somewhat inflated, it was a reliable workhorse that could pull significantly higher loads than what it was designed for. (after testing it was rated for heavier trains than the design specifications, and during wartime, this rating was often exceeded).
The VL-19 shows that Soviet knowledge of electrical engineering was rather excellent for the time (at least in 1932).

Great to see everything has a logical explanation!
It's not always easy to make sense of the Supply system, I did my best to give it a logical real world explanation.
The train weights and lengths were calculated as based on the following numbers:
Supply: 2-axle Flat carriage / covered carriage: average: 14 tonnes (empty), 28 tonnes (max carrying capacity), 14 m long.
Fuel: 4-axle tanker carriage: 38 tonnes (empty), 60 cubic metres (recommended load), 12 m long.

I hope the engineers are working on plans to improve infrastructure all the way to Berlin! :D
All in due time. If things start really going in our favour, infrastructure spending will probably increase. The TTL post-war Soviet Union will have an even better train network than the historical one. (that said, it would be fun if you got a small reduction in revolt risk by building infrastructure in occupied territory. We've already built quite a bit in Finland, and the Finns don't seem overly impressed by the shiny new railroads, for some reason...)

Latest attempt to catchup and I really thought I was doing well, got through the Winter War and up to Report #125. Must be getting close I thought, @roverS3 has only got to Report #200 so I'm over halfway. Then I saw I am still on page 21 out of 70.

Long way to go it seems, but I shall get there in the end.

Nice of you to stick your head out. I, for one, am glad you're here. (even if you're 50 pages behind)

Latest attempt to catchup and I really thought I was doing well, got through the Winter War and up to Report #125. Must be getting close I thought, @roverS3 has only got to Report #200 so I'm over halfway. Then I saw I am still on page 21 out of 70.
It's a bit deceptive, as I gradually added more and more 'additional' and 'narrative' updates, while the start had been one report after another... This AAR grew a lot bigger, longer, and more intricate than I had initially anticipated. It's after the winter war that the narrative updates really take off, with the introduction of a new and interesting (imo) characters and a significant increase in storytelling. (no spoilers here...)

Long way to go it seems, but I shall get there in the end.
The rate of updates will inevitably slow down, as the GPW is quite intense (and I'm only 20 days in...), and soon the academic year and my regular quartet and orchestra rehearsals will start again. You've got a good chance of catching up, I admire your perseverance. If you feel so inclined, don't hesitate to comment/ask questions about updates long past, within reason of course. (as some people have done in the Butterfly Effect thread.)

Lovely stuff! The logistics of maintaining a machine such as the Red Army are impressive indeed. Hopefully the new improvements to our rail system allow our troops to be better supplied - the USSR really suffers from not being able to use sea routes to transport supply.

Lovely stuff! The logistics of maintaining a machine such as the Red Army are impressive indeed. Hopefully the new improvements to our rail system allow our troops to be better supplied - the USSR really suffers from not being able to use sea routes to transport supply.
I hope the improvements will have the desired effect, though you can never know for sure. All you can do is improve bottlenecks, and provide alternative routes, and hope the AI takes advantage of one of them, or both.
Yes, a lack of seaborne supply routes is a problem. There are some in the Baltic, but it's only a drop in the bucket. I've been using our transport aeroplanes to shift some supplies, but I also need them for other things from time to time...:cool:. I've been working on the next GPW report, and it's going to be even longer than the previous one. It should be up in the next couple of days.

12th of July 1942, 'Odin': GPW 10-day Report #2
12th of July 1942, Vologda, 8,3°C, 6pm Moscow Time

Report on the Great Patriotic War between 6pm on the 2nd and 6pm on the 12th of July 1942.

Before we get to the overview, first a series of letters from 'Odinatsat':

The 2nd of July, Lwow, 5,6°C, 9pm Moscow Time

I stayed in the St. Elizabeth Church for most of the past 10 days.

After the morning attack on the 2nd of July, and his breakfast, Lt. General Popov came down to the St. Elizabeth Church to convene with Lt. Colonel Molchalin and his staff. A short discussion I wasn't privy to took place around the altar / map table, while I ate my breakfast rations outside with several officers of the Guards riflemen, guarding the church's perimeter. It seems news of my stern rebuttal of Sergeant Orlov's romantic advances spread quite rapidly, and no one else tried his luck. Something had changed, the servicemen in and around the church seemed to have a newfound respect for me. As I finished my breakfast, sergeant Orlov ran out of the church, stood at attention next to the officer's table and:

"Senior Lieutenant Goloniewskij, mam, Lt. Colonel Molchalin needs you in the tower, mam."
Quickly chugging my cup of coffee, I stood up, grabbed my Mosin-Nagant, and followed the sergeant to the top of the tower. As I got there, only sergeant Orlov was there. I positioned myself by the window, wondering whether Orlov had made up that order so that I would be near him. I soon decided he doesn't have the guts to make up an order from a Lt. Colonel. After about 10 slightly awkward seconds I decided to ask Orlov what I was doing there and why I couldn't just finish my breakfast first, but before I could do so, it all became self-evident. Major Panov entered the room, followed by Major Balabanov (a member of Popov's Staff), and then Lt. General Popov himself, followed by our Lt. Colonel, and various other members of their staffs. Myself and the sergeant snapped to attention to salute our new guests, Major Balabanov immediately ordered us to keep a lookout, and to make sure no one could threaten the safety of any of the officers in the room. I thus found myself looking out of over the city, with the Lt. General looking out of another window, discussing the morning's battle with Lt. Colonel Molchalin. I couldn't hear everything they were saying. From what I gathered, the Lt. General was rather pleased with the way the battle had been handled. That said, he ordered a rethink of the position of each and every one of the heavy weapons and machine-guns.

Pretty much ignoring my presence, the Lt. General and the Lt. Colonel, with their entourages, spent most of the morning up in the tower, overlooking the North-Western part of the city, sending out Sergeant Orlov time and again, to get them drinks, or to relay orders when there was no timely radio response. By lunchtime, they were done, not a single IS-2 tank, artillery piece, machine-gun, or mortar was in the same place it had been before the attack. Everything had been moved piecemeal, and as quietly as possible, not to arouse suspicion of potential German observers. Satisfied of the new unit dispositions, Lt. General Popov invited Lt. Colonel Molchalin to lunch in one of the city's better restaurants. As they left the room, I heard the Lt. General ask the Lt. Colonel what he thought of his new marksman. I couldn't quite make out his reply.

After lunch, I shared the tower with sergeant Orlov and the radio operator, Starshina Golubev. I had a good nap to recover some of the sleep I'd missed the previous night. Major Panov and Lt. Colonel Molchalin made a few short appearances, but they rarely stayed much longer than ten minutes, and they didn't catch me napping.

In the evening, Germans from the very same Division that had hit us at dawn, made a second attempt on the city, now they charged in greater numbers. Their tactics were similar to this morning, except that they were clearly circumventing the areas that had been in the line of fire of our heavier guns during the previous attempt. This, of course placed them right in the line of fire of the very guns they were trying to avoid. It took over half an hour for the Germans to catch on to the fact that their intelligence, gathered that very morning, was worthless. By the time they left the city once more, with their tails between their legs, it was a slaughter, over 130 German soldiers laid dead in the streets, 3 Armoured cars had been reduced to smouldering shells, and I had personally shot a German Obergefreiter (Lance Corporal) clean through the head when he took too much of an interest in the churh's main tower. Only three Guards Riflemen lost their lives during the short skirmish.

Again I kept myself under control and only fired when absolutely necessary. With the battlefield far below me and well under control, I'm managing to keep my demons at bay. I've found that watching German blood being spilled by my comrades in arms a good substitute for spilling it myself, it satiates that part of my brain that needs me to kill, to avenge. Enough to keep me focused and in the mission at least.
The 6th of July, Lwow, 7,5°C, 5am Moscow Time

In the two days since the two first battles of Lwow, tensions were rising. There was the news that Hungary had declared war on the Soviet Union on the 3rd of July, and on the 4th, 49 SD and 75 SD retreated into the city, battered and disorganised, leaving Zolkiew and Jaworow in German hands. We suddenly had three potential axis of attack to deal with, and the retreating troops gave us a direct insight into the horrors of the tough fights to come. The question wasn't if the Germans would make another move, but when, and how serious it would be. There was plenty of activity around the city, as preparations were made for potential attacks from the West (Jaworow) an the North-Northwest (Zokiew).

Finally, in the middle of the night, at 1 am on the 5th of July, to be precise, another German attack started. This time a Panzer-Division was was brought to bear, it all started with a line of panzers, moving up Horodotska street, shooting their guns left and right, backed up by FlaK-88s, and accompanied by massed German Infantry, Armoured Cars, and combat engineers. While it looked mighty impressive, it proved to be a non-starter. As soon as they started moving along the main road, a couple of concealed 100mm Anti-Tank guns opened fire on the Panzer V's, blowing up the first panther in line and scattering the Infantry, some of which was promptly hit by Soviet machine-guns and mortar. The German tanks turned tail, and the Infantry jumped on top of the retreating tanks and armoured cars. I guess the Germans in charge must have realised the idiocy of venturing into a fortified city in the middle of the night, as soon as those first shells hit. Lorry-mounted FlaK-88's covered the retreating Panzers, and one of our 100mm Guns was blown up, along with 5 of the men around it. Then, a mere 15 minutes after my sleep had been interrupted, the guns fell quiet again. The Germans had lost a single tank, and about 20 men. No one had gotten close to the church, or the tower, and the Lt. Colonel had only just made it to the top. After the Lt. Colonel grumbled something about the Germans waking him up just to spite him, he went back down to sleep. I did the same, both hoping for, and fearing, a more serious German attack.

I got my wish when I was awakened by sergeant Orlov at 1am the next night. A German Infantry squad had been spotted some 2,5 km from our location. Was this just a scouting operation of a large scale attack? This time there were no rumbling engines and vehicle headlights, there were no flares, no tanks, no mobile FlaK-88s. Only a sliver of the moon was visible, many of the street lights weren't working. From the top of the tower, all I could do was stare into the dark city unable to see more than a vague outline of the buildings. Suddenly, there was a bang, followed by a short exchange of gunfire, accompanied by muzzle flashes about 1,5km away to the North-West of the church, followed by a couple of frantic radio messages back and forth, and then the silence returned.

German Infantry, using the cover of darkness, advanced into the city, until their way was impeded or they were spotted, at which point they started lobbing grenades and shooting, taking advantage of the confusion to do some damage. Once local reinforcements started to arrive, they retreated into the darkness of the night, before heavy machine-guns or mortars could be brought to bear against them. Shortly after the first Soviet Casualties were reported, as soon as he heard the radio description of the second small-scale German shock attack, Lt. Colonel Molchalin recognised the German tactics. He mumbled something about Finns doing something similar, but on skis, and worse. Lt. General Popov had clearly gotten the same impression, and instead of letting the German squads choose where to engage, he gave orders for Guards riflemen to go out into the streets in force to counter-attack the German Infantry and attempt to beat them at their own game. The searchlights of the recently-built fortifications were also brought to bear. At first, all this did was to push the German squads, some of which had ventured over a km into the city, into hiding. The game of cat and mouse continued for several hours, until first light, when we could we start to see silhouettes moving below.

The riflemen on the ground also had an expanded visual range, and the more they saw, the worse for the Germans. Outnumbered and having mostly lost the cover of darkness, the Germans had to run for their lives, being chased through the streets by large numbers of guards-riflemen. Taking full advantage of their knowledge of the city, our soldiers managed to avoid getting pinned down by German Light machine-guns. Luring the German's attention and gunfire one way, with a squad going round and chucking grenades at them from behind, was a particularly favoured tactic. Many of the most ambitious German squads didn't make it out of the city, and by 4:15am, 90 Germans had been killed or taken prisoner. In the end, only 14 Guards Riflemen had died, and the assault turned out to have been the work of a single Infanterie-Division. In the night, the numbers had been muddled, and what had seemed like an invasion by stealth was really a company-sized attack, ultimately of little consequence.

As much as I was frustrated that I didn't get a single shot in, that I had been powerless in the darkness, unable to help the riflemen on the ground, I was glad that casualties were light, and that our lines remained strong and ready to fight another day. The German tactics, may not have given them a military victory, but they surely left many servicemen in Lwow second-guessing shadows, and some with nightmares of Teutonic hordes coming to kill them in their sleep.
The 7th of July, Lwow, 6,4°C, 9am Moscow Time

I finally got something close to a good night's sleep, as the Wehrmacht did decide not to attack on the night of the 6th-7th of July. The 1am battle on the 8th of July started just like the battle before last, with then the appearance of Panzer V tanks starting down Horodotska street. This time, the first tanks didn't mess around, they rolled into the city at full speed. The first 4 tanks were closely followed by a pair of lorry-mounted FlaK-88s with the rest of the column about 20m behind the first group. As soon as they started to come under fire, the tanks started covering each-other and the 88s, by moving 2 at a time and using suppressing fire from the two stationary tanks to cover the advancing ones. This leapfrogging tactic allowed them to mostly bypass our most forward Anti-tank emplacements. It seems this was a serious effort, and not some halfhearted probe. Our searchlights tracked the vehicles in their advance.

In response, an order came down from Lt. General Popov's office. The IS-2 tanks and SU-100 tank-Destroyers that had been bypassed by the rapidly advancing German armour were to rush towards the South-East and prepare favourable firing positions, taking into account the direction of travel and speed of the Panzers. The flexible movement of our own anti-tank equipment allowed our forces to envelop the advancing panzers, containing them to the Horodotska street, and outflanking them in the process. This was all coordinated by Lt. Colonel Molchalin, and our vantage point allowed us to have an overview our enemy did not have, even at night. Once the first group of vehicles arrived about 100m from the first line of fortifications, they halted, requiring additional support from infantry and combat engineers to blow their way through the concrete and steel tank-traps, and to fill in the massive ditches, or so it seemed. The Panther tanks, were firing their machine guns to make sure our riflemen kept their head down. As the Panzers trained their guns, ostensibly to blow up a small bunker, I noticed a tank commander inspecting the church towers with his binoculars, and, of course, just as he looked almost straight at me, I sent a bullet through his head. A few seconds later, the church's main tower was bathing in the light of a massive German searchlight. Luckily the Panzer V's 75mm guns didn't have the elevation to hit the tower, and their were many buildings between them and the base of the church. However, the 88mm FlaK's, designed to shoot down aeroplanes, could. All this was going through my head in a matter of seconds, and almost simultaneously, I noticed the two crews readying their AA-guns and turning their barrels towards me, confirming my assessment. The threat was imminent, Infantry-men were taking pot-shots at me, but I ignored them. Instead I started picking off the FlaK-88 crews. First the loaders, then the commanders. After a few seconds of me seemingly fighting much of the German spearhead on my own, our units on the ground were in position, and guided by Lt. Colonel Molchanlin and his staff, they unleashed hell.

The now relocated SU-100s, as well as entrenched 100mm and 57mm anti-tank guns, opened fire on the tanks at the front of the column. After the first salvo of Armour-piercing shells, IS-2's, and SU-100s, backed by platoons of Guards RIflemen (who could easily keep up with the IS-2's on foot), moved slowly towards the flanks of the German column of Tanks, Armoured Cars, Lorries, and other vehicles. Other snipers now joined in the fun, picking off anyone who got near the FlaK-88s, which were as much of a danger to our IS-2's as they were to the tower I was in. As soon as it was clear the 88s were covered by other snipers, I shot the searchlight that was aimed at the tower, and watched from the relative safety of darkness, as the rest of the battle unfolded.

Now with Soviet armour closing in from all sides, outnumbered, and with little room to manoeuvre, there was only one way out for the Germans, back to where they came from. Under the intense light of soviet searchlights, the entire column started reversing on itself, leaving behind 5 destroyed Panther tanks, 6 lorries littered with bullet-holes, 2 smouldering armoured car wrecks, 2 FlaK-88s aimed straight at me, and over 80 dead German soldiers.

Benz-21_Typ-VP-21_Sd.Kfz.3-min.jpg

A destroyed Benz-21 Armoured Lorry in the streets of Lwow. This vehicle is part of a German programme to produce armoured vehicles based on existing lorry designs, on the same production lines. The vehicles this programme brought forth were collectively designated as Sd.Kfz.3. Many of these were also fitted with half-tracks, but not this one.
This battle had taken barely an hour, and once again the Germans had proven unable to make any amount of headway. There were many questions after the events of that night. The obvious one was whether the Germans planned the attack specifically to blow up one of the Churches' towers. Did they know we were there, or did the officers of the Tank Division realise that it was the ideal vantage point, and guess we would be taking full advantage of that fact. From the way the attack was executed it did seem likely that the Germans were going for the towers. A quick dash, almost straight towards the church, with lorry-mounted AA-guns, capable of blowing the towers to smithereens from rather far away, in tow? Halting far enough from the first continuous line of trenches they encountered, so that they could protect the 88's from grenades and enterprising Guards riflemen. (at least those coming from the trench-line) It all seems about right, but, according to our own intelligence, the lorry-mounted 88's were the fastest moving high velocity guns the German 11. Panzer-Division has in it's inventory, and thus an attempt at a rapid breakthrough would logically be spearheaded by tanks accompanied by these 88's to provide direct fire support.

Either way, the Germans clearly know that there is someone at the top of the St-Elizabeth Church's central tower. I had failed in my mission, yes the command staff was still alive, but despite my best efforts, the tower had become a prime target. The command post has to be moved before the next German attack, there is no point in risking the loss of this vital command post, least of all in the middle of a battle. The move took priority over everything else, and debriefing will have to wait until morning. With no immediate orders, I decided to sleep downstairs, just in case the Germans tried something.

In the morning, the church was quiet, the same guards riflemen were guarding the base, but inside, and at the top, there was no one left. When I say no-one, I mean no-one except for Sergeant Orlov, who continued to be inexorably bound to me by both his orders and his own choice. I ate my breakfast outside, with the Guards Rifle Company's command staff. I was only halfway through when a ZiS-101 staff car pulled up. Major Balabanov jumped out and walked straight to our table. He had an even sterner demeanour than usual:

"Senior Lieutenant Goloniewskij, you are to come with me."

"Major sir, am I allowed to finish my breakfast first sir?"

"You will follow me right now senior Lieutenant. That is a direct order from Lt. General Popov. Eating inside the Lt. General's staff car is strictly prohibited."µ
The Lt. General's driver, a Starshina, opened the rear door. Major Balabanov indicated for me to enter, and went around to the other side, operating his own door. This was a bit unusual, as protocol dictates that the door should be held open for the person with the highest rank. In this case military protocol directly contradicted gallantry, and the Major went with the latter. I'm not sure what to think of that. The trip to city hall was short and quick, we passed two checkpoints, both of them waved us through. As we arrived, at city hall, the driver got out and opened my door, while a Junior Lieutenant opened the Major's door. We quickly made our way upstairs, bypassing the office of Major Balabanov, and heading straight for the large office Lt. General Popov had made his own. We stopped in front of the massive oak door, and Major Balabanov knocked. The Lt. General said:

"Come in"
The office was even larger than I expected, as it was composed of two spaces. The first room had a small desk for a secretary to the side, and a massive wooden table with 12 chairs around it, I guess they used to hold cabinet meetings in there once upon a time. Large open double doors gave a good view of the second, slightly smaller, room, which is the office itself, dominated by a large mahogany desk. The walls of both rooms are covered in book cases and fine oak panelling. Lt. General Popov was sitting at the head of the table, he was flanked by a full Colonel to his right, and Lt. Colonel Molchalin to his left. The table was set for four, but the three officers had clearly already finished their breakfast. The Lt. General's personal secretary, a Lieutenant, was still eating at the small desk near the door, and there was still plenty of food on the table.

"Senior Lieutenant Goloniewskij. You will join myself and Lt. Colonel Molchalin for breakfast. Dismissed Major."
Understanding that he was about to become the fourth wheel in a tricycle, the Colonel sitting to the right of Popov got up and excused himself. The private who's main function seemed to be to open the door, rushed in to take away the departing Colonel's dirty dishes and replace them with clean ones as Lt. General Popov motioned at the now vacant chair to his right. Again, without a word, the Private left the room and closed the door behind him. I was beginning to be rather impressed at how all these people where seemingly doing exactly what the Lt. General wanted them to do without him having to say a single word. As I grabbed some pastries and started eating, the Lt. General started talking:

"I'm quite pleased with your work Molchalin, you've implemented my orders to perfection, maintaining an exemplary level of coordination between the various units protecting the North-Western part of the city. I put my faith in you to protect that sector, and you have exceeded my expectation Lt. Colonel."

"To be fair, the Germans didn't really put in much effort." (The Lt. Colonel interceded)

"That may be so, but it doesn't take away that 5 attacks on your sector were shrug off with minimal losses. You used the tools at your disposal to great effect, destroying tanks, and killing enemy personnel. The smouldering shells of what used to be the spearhead of a German armoured column on Horodotska street speak for themselves
. That said, it seems to me that none of this would have been possible without the efforts of Senior Lieutenant Goleniewskij."
Turning to me. "You used your skills sparingly and effectively, delaying the inevitable discovery of Molchalin's vantage point by German HQ. Once your position was clearly discovered, you did not run for cover. At your own peril, you fired at enemy gun-crews, allowing the Lt. Colonel's staff to leave the tower. You did this so well, that the tower is still standing and the gun crews lie dead in the street. The first responsibility you had was to keep the Lt. Colonel and his staff alive, and you succeeded. Congratulations Captain Goleniewskij, I'm sure Colonel Molchalin is glad to be alive."

"Thank you Lt. General, and Captain, I didn't get the chance to thank you for saving my life."

"Your promotions will be formalised as soon as possible. In the meantime, I've personally revised your orders. Colonel, starting next week, at the latest, you will relocate to the Military Invalids building, from where you will coordinate the defence of the North-Northwestern sector, together with the staff of both Lt. Colonel Rozhdestvensky of 76 GvsD and Lt. Colonel Ibragimov of 72 GvSD. They've done good work, but I think your recent first-hand experience should allow you to further refine their defensive plans and coordinate their forces. Your role there is that of a supervisor, you'll be my representative in the sector, and I expect you to act accordingly, as you have up to now. You have until then to make sure Major Panov is able to take over your duties in the North-Western sector, temporarily, until he proves himself. Captain Goleniewsky will not be joining you, as both Lt. Colonels already have enough personal protection. Dismissed Colonel."

"Yes sir. Thank you sir. I'll get started right away. Captain, it was an honour to work with you, I wish you the very best in your next assignment."
Molchalin stood up and started moving to the door. I reacted quickly, stood at attention, saluted, and replied:

"The pleasure was all mine, sir."
He saluted and left the room. Now, it was just me, the Lt. General, and his secretary in the corner. I waited for Popov to start talking, but noting the hungry way I looked at it, he gestured for me to take some food. I ate in silence for about fifteen minutes, while Popov was reading a file, occasionally looking up at me, as if to make sure I was still there. Compared to the rations of the previous days, the food was great, and I didn't hesitate to get my fill of pastries, eggs, strawberries and tea. As I started to slow down, Lt. General Popov put down his file, and looked me over. He said:

"Captain Goleniewskij. I'll speak frankly. This rather thin volume here is your official file. What is most remarkable about it, is what's not in it. A lot of it is redacted, and, as far as my secretary Lt. Drozdov could find out, there is no record of you taking part any kind of military training. Except for your recent role as an instructor in the Central Women's Sniper Training School, that is.

Now, I certainly don't wish to embarras you with that statement. You clearly have the support of the 5th directorate, and you have most likely worked for them, if you're not still doing so. From your demeanour, and especially the way you handle yourself under pressure, it seems a foregone conclusion that you've served the People of the Soviet Union in ways most of those people will never know. I will probably never know either why you ended up in the regular army, but I've got the distinct feeling that you've suffered for your motherland, more than most. Something must have happened that changed you, made you get out, or made them kick you out. You're good at hiding your pain, and it doesn't seem to have affected your performance, not yet anyway. You must have been one hell of an operative. I suspect that Lt. Colonel Molchalin has been rather distant towards you because you remind him of comrades of his who were forever scarred by the Winter War. A close friend of him ended up taking his own life to escape his demons.

I tend to be rather upbeat and positive in front of my colleagues, but what I'm about to ask of you warrants a more serious tone. As you already know, the Wehrmacht now believes that we have something quite important in the main tower of the St. Elizabeth Church. And we did, until this morning, when we moved out all of the staff and equipment. The question is what will happen when the Germans attack the same sector again, and what I want to happen when they do so. I expect they will go for the church again, and as the critical staff and equipment has been moved, I want to encourage them to focus on the church as much as possible. Any German who's shooting at the church, or even looking at it, isn't focusing on the movements on the ground, nor on finding other vital staff emplacements. I want the Germans to think that, instead of moving out, we've strengthened the Church's defences. This is where you come in, captain, if you agree to take on this hazardous mission.

You will remain in the main tower of the church, despite the obvious risks to your own well-being. I'll give you 10 trained snipers, and a regular guards rifle squad, and full operational freedom within the confines of the church. Your job is to pull German attention to the church, and especially it's main tower. Make them think everything I want them to think, and shoot as many krauts as you need to. This will leave you exposed and it will likely be your demise, but it will almost definitely be of great benefit to the defence of the city, and reduce casualties on the ground. Considering your background in, no-doubt hairy, secret operations, and your exceptional marksmanship, I believe you are the only person under my command who could pull this off successfully. You have seemingly no history, no family, and you clearly want to kill out there, so I'm asking you, will you risk everything for your motherland?"
I was at a loss for words, on the one hand, the Lt. General managed to read me quite well, and he had been understanding, and kind. At the same time, I was really wondering whether all that wasn't just to butter me up so I would go and run this near-suicidal mission. Despite the risks, or maybe because of them, I was tempted to say yes. It would give me a great opportunity to kill a lot of German soldiers, and no more holding back. But, I wasn't just going to say yes immediately. I thus stayed silent, pensive, until the Lt. General decided, all on his own, to sweeten the deal:

"I can make this easier for you. What do you want? Better food? done. A radio operator and a direct line to my HQ? done. Do you want a staff car? done. If you do this successfully, and come out alive. I will personally back you in your military career, wherever you want to go, whatever you want to do, I'll pull strings for you."

"And if I refuse."

"I won't court martial you, but I will transfer you to another Guards Rifle unit with a glowing letter of recommendation, and that will be that where you're concerned. I'm sure you could always use your connections to get some other kind of assignment."
At this point, I had decided I would do it. The chance to kill so many, and the fact that no one would be looking over my shoulder. It was worth it. But, I did want something else:

"All right. I'll do it, I'll be your hun-bait, but I need you to pull some strings. I don't have many true friends in this world - occupational hazard - but my best friend is on duty in Kyiv, repairing aeroplanes. If I'm going to die in that church, I want to spend more time with senior sergeant Sergei Kharkov, Yak-7 aeroplane mechanic. Do what you have to make it so he's reassigned to Lwow Air Base, and that he can come visit me at the church whenever he's not working."
Lt. General Popov simply looked at Lt. Drozdov, who was thumbing through a file with a VVS stamp on it, he was quick to reply:

"Sir. One phone-call and senior sergeant Kharkov will be on the next plane to Lwow. Sir. You might have to call in a favour to get it done sir."

"Thank you Lieutenant, make the call. Captain, you heard the Lieutenant, it's all sorted. You may go to Lwow Air Base to welcome him. Be at St. Elizabeth church at 1500 hours, your team will be there. You'll need to rush your preparations, I don't know how long the Germans will wait before they attack that sector again. In case this is the last time I see you, thank you for your service. Dismissed captain"
I don't plan on dying in that church, but it remains a real possibility, and due to the nature of my assignment I haven't been able to spend any time with Sergei. Now that I'm writing this, thinking of Sergei, I have to survive the coming onslaught, for his sake and for mine. I'm off to the Air Base to welcome him to Lwow. I'll write to you again when I feel like it. Battle or no battle, I'll be quite busy the coming days, so don't worry if you don't get daily updates.

All the best,

'Odinatsat'

Arctic Front (XXXIV GSK / 1st AG / Leningrad HQ):
1AG42-07-12-min.jpeg

Progress continues to be slow in the Arctic. The only enemy in sight is the occasional snowstorm and the terrible infrastructure.​

Baltic Sea (XXXIII SK / VDV / RBBF / Leningrad HQ):
zerstorer1936c-min.jpg

The 1936C class of Destroyers, a brand new evolution of the 1936 design, has a standard displacement of 2.411 tonnes, and a maximum displacement of over 3.400 tonnes. The main difference with previous classes is the use of multi-purpose main guns.The 1936C sports a main armament of 6, 12,8 cm FlaK 40's in three twin turrets. As the name of the gun suggests, this main armament could be effectively used against aeroplanes, a significant improvement over the 1936A and 1936B classes. Those previous sub-classes sported a pair of 15cm Naval guns in a twin turret in the front, and three single 12,7mm naval guns in individual turrets in the rear. 6 water tube boilers and 2 gear turbines provide 70.000 hp, propelling the ships to a top speed of 38,5 knots. (much faster than what they can do in game). The armament is completed by 4 3,7cm FlaK guns, 4 2,0cm FlaK guns, and 8 torpedo tubes. The ships also have the capacity to lay mines.
(OTL none of these saw action, but TTL they've already been sent to the bottom of the ocean)
A pair of German Destroyers was first spotted by one of our submarines. The RBBF, having just delivered a Rifle Division to Bornholm, went out to attempt to intercept the Kriegsmarine units before they could do damage to our submarines. The Zerstörergeschwäder, clearly unaware that they had been spotted, and possibly concentrating on tracking our submarines, was caught by surprise by the RBBF, just as the submarines in question had left the area.

The resulting battle of the Southern Baltic was short and very one-sided. Vice Admiral Kuznetsov, expertly positioning his ships, brought all of his fleet's firepower to bear against the 4 modern German Destroyers. All of the RBBF's big guns were firing at the German ships, while Carrier-based Il-10VM torpedo-bombers, and our own Destroyers, dropped torpedo after torpedo. All the while, La-7VMs strafed the German decks. The Destroyers dodged and weaved to try and avoid all of it, taking a few potshots at our Heavy Cruiser Krasnyi Kavkaz, one of which actually hit. They attempted to run and take advantage of their superior top speed, but to no avail. Despite the mediocre accuracy of Soviet Naval Gunnery, the sheer volume of shells and torpedo's headed for Wolf's flotilla was overwhelming, and before it even got close to getting out of range, the last Z-46 Destroyer was sent to the bottom by a volley of 12 inch shells from the Pride of the Red Navy, Battleship Oktyabrskaya Revoluciya.

ParatroopersSlagelse-min.jpg

The VDV lands in Slagelse, en masse, not an enemy aeroplane in sight, thought a German Infanterie-Division is present on the ground.
Now they have to secure the area, easier said than done.
After all of XXXIII SK was transferred to Bornholm, things had to move quickly. Supplies on Bornholm were slowly decreasing, as more supplies were being consumed than could be brought in through the island's port. The clock was ticking, and thus, operation Aegir was given the go-ahead. Three Divisions of Paratroopers were temporarily relocated to Bornholm and as they started preparing for the planned landing, 24 hours later, the Red Banner Baltic Fleet sailed to the Pommeranian Coast. As the RBBF reached the Pommeranian coast, they were greeted once more by the Seeaufklärungsgruppe. The CAGs were ready, and dispatched the Ju-290s, ssome still damaged from their last air battle, with relative ease. Once again, the element of surprise was essential for the success of the operation. With the target province so close to the German heartland, it was expected that large numbers of Luftwaffe fighters may be brought to bear against the Air Transport wing.

In an attempt to avoid a worse rerun of the Air Battle over Bornholm, which could see our transport aeroplanes shot out of the sky, this time with the paratroopers still on board, a diversion was planned. Knowing full well that no VVS support would be forthcoming, the La-7VM's of 2 KPA and 7 KPA took off from their respective Moskva-class carriers less than 2 hours before the Airborne assault was due to start. They were essentially Luftwaffe-bait, ostensibly trying to assert air superiority over the Öresund. This worked even better than expected, with close to 1.000 Bf-109s intercepting our Carrier-based fighters. A desperate battle started, though in the end casualties would be remarkably light on our side, as the German fighters kept getting in each-other's way, with many friendly fire incidents on the German side.

The heroic efforts of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet's CAGs made sure the skies over Slagelse (1) were clear when 27.000 Soviet Paratroopers were dropped on the province. A single German Infantry Division was present in the province, which had been expected to be empty. There was no way back, the VDV has to deal with the German Infantry before it will be able to turn it's attention to Copenhagen, despite the VDV's three to one numerical superiority, it promises to be a very tough fight. In case the battle of Slagelse turns awry, a naval contingency plan was put into action, and the RBBF sailed back to Bornholm to pick up a Rifle Division. The Division in question will be landed into Guldborgsund, to the South of Copenhagen, then another trip will be made, before a combined attack on Copenhagen will start, one Division attacking from Guldborgsund, and another performing an amphibious assault from the Pommeranian Coast. This entire operation turned out to be even riskier than anticipated. It is definitely a high risk high reward sort of thing. This is the first real test of the VDV. Will they be able to prevail in the adverse conditions for which they've been trained?

Baltic42-07-12-min.jpeg

A lot of action in the Baltic. Paratroopers fighting in Slagelse, a Naval Battle in the Southern Baltic, and several aerial battles.

1. Southern Baltic (Naval Battle - Victory)
02 Jul 42 22:00 - 03 Jul 42 01:00
VMF: Red Banner Baltic Fleet - 2 BB, 2 CVL, CA, CL, 6 DD - 10.528 sailors - Leningrad - V.Adm. Kuznetsov L4, ST
7 KPA - CAG - 31 La-7VM, 31 Il-10VM - 93 airmen - Moskva (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Kapitochin, L2
2 KPA - CAG - 30 La-7VM, 30 Il-10VM - 90 airmen - Leningrad (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Falaleev, L4
12 naval units / 36 ships / 10.528 sailors / 5 Flotiliya Esmintsev (CVL) -4% / 28 sailors KIA
1 Mission / 121 planes / 183 airmen / 3 downed / 5 KIA
Kriegsmarine: 7. ZG - DD - 4 x Z-46-Class (1936C) - 1.280 sailors - ? - Kommodore Wolf, L2-3, SW
1 naval unit / 4 ships / 1.280 sailors /
7. Zerstörergeschwader (DD) sunk by Oktyabrskaya Revoluciya (BB) / 4 ships / 1.280 sailors KIA
Convoy raiding in the Baltic (last 10 days): 35 convoys & 0 escorts sunk
Northern Main Front (2 AG / Moskva HQ):
Pz3OnTheMove-min.jpg

A Panzer III ausf. L of 1. PzD, on it's way to Brzesc Litewski. These tanks were part of the 5th battle for the city, the one that broke the Red Army's Defence.
The evening of the 2nd of July was quite action-packed. A n 8pm German probe into Brzesc-Litewski (1) was quickly turned back. At 9pm, both the battles of Vainode (2), Siauliai (3) came to an end, as the Soviet Rifle Divisions involved could simply take no more, they all retreated to the East, hoping to trade land for time, time to reinforce and recuperate. Casualties were even and relatively light.

A 1am German attack into Hajnowka (5) is rather worrying, with the defenders already mostly spent from previous combat. At 2am, on the 3rd of July, after 16 hours of fighting VIII SK HQ retreated from the battle of Raseinai (4), the disparity in casualty numbers indicated the battle was turning sour for Kashuba's HQ. A serious attack on Brzesc Litewski (10) started at 10am. The Soviet superiority in numbers was worthless as 2 out of the 5 units present were too exhausted to fight. That said, the Germans were attacking across the river, our fortifications remained in good shape, and brand new KV-122s were contributing to the defence. At 4pm, Hajnowka (5) was lost to the Panther tanks of 9 PzD. The noose around Brzesc Litewski is closing.

The 4th of July started off, at 4am with a German attack on Dobele (6), which was held by a still somewhat fresh Rifle Division. To cut losses and maintain some semblance of organisation, Potapov called the retreat in Dobele (6) at 3pm.

A pair of attacks on Narew (9) and Wolkowysk (7) started at 1am the following day. After daybreak, 5 hours into the battle, the exhausted defenders of Wolkowysk (7) broke and retreated. The 5th of July also brought the end of the battle of Ariogala (8), as Katkov's HQ Division broke after 3 days of fighting, casualties were close to 1k, more than two times Wehrmacht losses. As opposed to the battle of Wolkowysk (7), 40km to the North-East, the Battle of Narew (9) ended in a decisive victory at 6pm, converting a 4 to 1 advantage in numbers into a 6 to1 advantage in casualties. The day ended with a German attack on Panevezys (11), just north of Kaunas. it is held by a single exhausted Division, and needs to remain in Soviet hands until 2 retreating Divisions get there, lest they be overrun.

At midnight, the German offensive into Brzesc Litewski (10) was finally halted. The Germans suffered dearly with over 1.600 casualties, for less than 500 dead Soviets. The next battle to be started was another German Division-size attack on Narew (13) at 11am on the 6th of July, the province was still just as strongly held as before. After nearly a day of fighting, the defenders of Panevezys (11) retreated at 5pm, even more exhausted than when the battle started. The big blow came at 7pm, when the battle of Jurbarkas (12) ended in defeat, after nearly 4 days of fighting. Casualties were heavy on both sides, with over 3.600 Soviet casualties, and over 2.600 German ones. 9 pm saw the start of a German offensive on Mariampolé (14).

The night was quiet in the north, and it wasn't until 11am on the 7th of July, that there was some news. Narew (13) was held successfully, and the Wehrmacht halted it's advance into the province, casualties were substantial, but only for the enemy, with a ratio of over 5-1 in our favour. Another two-Division attempt was made on Narew (15), starting at noon, STAVKA was hopeful, but the units in place were getting awfully disorganised. It was the same story one hour later, when the Heer launched a three-pronged attack into Brzesc Litewski (21).

On the 8th of July, at noon, a German attack on Swislocz (19) started, while the odds weren't too bad, but the province was the last Soviet-held corridor to Brzesc Litewski.

4am the next day (9th of July), a Division-size German attack was launched on Saldus (25), the odds were slightly in our favour. 3 hours later, the same happened in Tukums (20), but there defenders were significantly less well organised, and also not dug in. Then, at 10am, after 2 days and 3 nights, the battle of Mariampolé (14) ended, in a devastating defeat, the battle, having started small, had grown desperate as German reinforcements were funnelled. The final toll was close to 2.500 riflemen, and about half as many Germans dead. The battle of Narew (15) was lost at 2pm, casualties were slightly over 1.000 on both sides, slightly in our favour. A 10pm German probe into Kaunas was easily repulsed by the Rifle Corps entrenched in the city and it's fortifications. There was some terrible news as it became clear that both VIII SK HQ, and 3 SD have been overrun by the German advance, after their heroic stands in Raseinai (2) and Siauliai (3), they didn't manage to retreat fast enough to stay ahead of the German Infantry. Both units were fleeing towards Panevezys, but before they could get there, a fresh German Infantry Division took control of the province, taking prisoner the exhausted Soviet servicemen, with no place to go. By sheer luck, and thanks to Lt. General Kashuba's GAZ-61 all-wheel- staff car, himself and Maj. General Bakunin managed to evade capture. The other ca. 17.690 personnel were taken prisoner by Maj. General von Kempski's 36 Infanterie-Division. A new VIII HQ has been set up, with Lt General Kashuba at it's head, and 218 SD was attached to V SK, to take the place of 3 SD in the hierarchy. This is the toughest blow yet. 3 SD wasn't a particularly veteran division, having taken part in only 2 battles, but it did include a regiment of Su-100 Tank-Destroyers.

Things really kicked off at 4am on the 10th of July. Horujenko charged from Kaunas into Panevezys (17), possibly to enact revenge on the captors of his comrades, and at the same time, another attack on Kaunas (16) started. The latter probably won't get very far, but it could impede Horujenko's chances of success. As had been feared, the attack on Panevezys (17) had to be called off by 6am. The Germans were repulsed from Kaunas (16) by 9am, with 7-1 casualties in our favour. The battle of Swislocz (19) was lost with casualties significantly in our favour, but everyone at STAVKA was holding their breath as many units were retreating into the province, both from Brzesc Litewski (21), and from Narew (15). Before German troops could occupy the province, a battered retreating Rifle Division arrived, and tried to hold off the inevitable in a second battle of Swislocz. (22) In other news, the battle of Tukums (20) ended in a loss, with casualty numbers in our favour.

A 1am German attack on Alytus (28) isn't too worrying, for now. The Red Army has the upper hand in numbers, but the organisation of Soviet forces is low. The meat-grinder of Brzesc Litweski (21) finally came to an end with the retreat of the last Soviet Division from the city at 4am on the 11th of July. The Germans have paid dearly for the city, with nearly 2.300 casualties in this last battle alone, for 1.100 of our own. The second battle for Swislocz (22) ended at 6am, with light casualties. The race is on again, for more Divisions to make it to relative safety before the Germans take the province. Another probe into Panevezys (23) at 5am was just as unsuccessful as the first, and the next one (24) didn't last much longer.

Another German attack on Kaunas (26) started at 4am on the 12th of July. Later on, retreating Soviet Divisions beat the Germans to Swislocz (27) at 10am. This time, the tired defenders managed to counter the German tactics, buying more time for their colleagues to retreat. At noon, the close-fought battle of Saldus (25) ended in a victory, after more than 3 days of fighting. German losses were slightly higher than ours, and the territory was held. Grodno (29) was attacked at 2pm, a one on one battle with the Germans crossing a river into a marsh. The battle of Kaunas (26) ended at 3pm with another victory, and casualties 7-1 in our favour. The Germans abandoned their attack on Swislocz (27) at 6pm, casualties were in our favour, and this brief reprieve is great news as it will allow most, hopefully all, of our retreating units to make it out of Brzesc Litewski and Narew.

2AG42-07-12-min.jpeg

Map of Moskva HQ's front line (pink). The previous report's front line is indicated in Yellow. The smaller circles indicate small scale battles (in number of Red Army troops involved).
The Northern part of the front is in some trouble, but help is on it's way. Both 2ya Tankovaya Armiya and 11ya Motorizovannaya Armiya have been given their orders. 2ya TA is to break through and rush towards Marienwerder, 77km to the South-East of Gdansk. 11ya Mot Arm has received similar orders, except that it is tasked with securing the flanks of 2ya TA, and possibly widening the salient it creates. It is hoped that this operation will cut off all the German troops to the north of the initial breakthrough, giving some respite to the thinly spread troops in the area, and potentially allowing the capture of many Axis units.

1. Brzesc Liteweski 3 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 3 - Victory)
02 Jul 42 20:00
SU: 31 SD (Art, TD - Parkhomenko, L2), 85 SD (Art, AT), 173 SD (Art, AT), 41 SD (Art, AT), 14 TTGvD (H Arm, Gdsx2, Art, Eng)
49.391 men /
2 KIA
Ger (Biala Podalska - River Crossing): 34 ID (Infx3 - ?)
8.997 men
/ 108 KIA​

2. Vainode (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
02 Jul 42 05:00 - 21:00
SU: 37 SD (Art, TD - Kachalov, L2, DD), 52 SD (Art, AT), 16 SD (Art, AT)
31.439 men /
340 KIA
Ger (Palanga): 60 ID(m) (Motx2, TD, Eng - von Salmuth, L6, FB, BM)
7.656 men /
315 KIA
3. Siauliai (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
02 Jul 42 07:00 - 21:00
SU: 3 SD (Art, TD - Kariofilli, L2, FB)
10.069 men /
154 KIA / 9.914 POW
Ger (Taurage): 36 ID (Infx3 - von Kempski, L4)
8.983 men /
156 KIA
4. Raseinai (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
02 Jul 42 10:00 - 03 Jul 42 02:00
SU: VIII SK (HQ, Infx2, AT - Kashuba, L2, LW, WS)
7.997 men /
216 KIA / 7.775 POW
Ger (Taurage - River Crossing): 35 ID (Infx3 - Ruoff, L3, OD)
8.970 men /
84 KIA​

5. Hajnowka (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
03 Jul 42 01:00 - 16:00
SU: 50 SD (Art, TD - Bochenkov, L2, DD)
10.172 men /
227 KIA
Ger (Lapy): 9 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, AC - Schaal, L3, BM)
7.996 men /
131 KIA
6. Dobele (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
04 Jul 42 04:00 - 15:00
SU: 52 SD (Art, AT - Potapov, L2)
10.686 men /
95 KIA
Ger (Plunge): 4 ID (Infx3 - Haase C., L3, FB)
8.993 men /
139 KIA​

7. Wolkowysk (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
05 Jul 42 01:00 - 06:00
SU: 52 SD (Art, AT - Hadeev, L2, FB)
9.774 men /
25 KIA
Ger (Bialystok): 2 ID (Infx3 - Heissmeyer, L4)
8.996 men /
28 KIA​

8. Ariogala (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
02 Jul 42 05:00 - 05 Jul 42 09:00
SU: VIII SK (HQ, Infx2, AT - Katkov, L2-3, LW, BM)
7.998 men /
919 KIA
Ger (Taurage - River Crossing): 58 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - Steiner, L4, BM)
7.951 men /
418 KIA
9. Narew (Defence - Forest - Victory)
05 Jul 42 01:00 - 18:00
SU: 34 SD (Art, AT - Vasilev, L3, BM), 4 SD (Art, AT), 89 SD (Art, AT)
31.552 men /
124 KIA
Ger (Bialystok): 15 ID (Infx3 - Barckhausen, L3, FB)
8.997 men /
723 KIA
10. Brzesc Liteweski 4 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 3 - Victory)
03 Jul 42 10:00 - 06 Jul 42 00:00
SU: 85 SD (Art, AT - Pokrovski, L3), 31 SD (Art, TD), 173 SD (Art, AT), 41 SD (Art, AT), 14 TTGvD (H Arm, Gdsx2, Art, Eng)
50.049 men /
433 KIA
Ger (Biala Podalska - River Crossing): 13 PzD (Arm, Mot, ?? - Gräser F.H., L2), 225 ID (Infx2, AT, AA)
Ger (
Siedlce - River Crossing): 15 ID (Infx3)
Ger (
Maloryta): 231 ID (Infx2, AT, Eng)
40.630 men /
1.628 KIA
11. Panevezys (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
05 Jul 42 22:00 - 06 Jul 42 17:00
SU: 53 SD (Art, AT - Kariofilli, L3, FB)
9.946 men /
188 KIA
Ger (Siauliai): 36 ID (Infx3 - von Kempski, L4)
8.948 men /
218 KIA
12. Jurbarkas 4 (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
02 Jul 42 01:00 - 06 Jul 42 13:00
SU: 17 SD (Art, AT - Zaev, L2, BM), 118 SD (Art, AT - Kuznec, L2, LW), 235 SD (Art, AT)
43.838 men /
3.622 KIA
Ger (Tilsit - River Crossing): 10 ID (Infx3 - von Schobert, L4-5), 7 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, Mot-AA)
Ger (
Kybartai): 5 PzD (Arm, Mot, SP-Art, TD)
Ger
(Taurage): 1 ID (Infx3),79 ID (Infx2, AC, TD)
8.960 men /
2.617 KIA​

13. Narew 2 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
06 Jul 42 12:00 - 13:00
SU: 34 SD (Art, AT - Vasilev, L3, BM), 4 SD (Art, AT), 89 SD (Art, AT), 217 SD (Art, AT)
41.895 men /
155 KIA
Ger (Bialystok): 12 ID (Infx3 - Böhme, L3, Cdo)
17.800 men /
877 KIA​

14. Mariampolé (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
06 Jul 42 21:00 - 09 Jul 42 10:00
SU: 120 SD (Art, AT - Dratvin, L2, Trk), 38 SD (Art, AT)
21.997 men /
2.466 KIA
Ger (Jurbarkas - River Crossing): 1 ID (Infx3 - Höpner, L4, BM), 7 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, Mot-AA)
Ger (
Kalvarija): 197 ID (Infx2, AT, AA), 170 ID (Infx2, AT, Art)
Ger (
Kybartai): 4 PzD (Arm, Mot, AC, Eng)
39.754 men /
1.139 KIA
15. Narew 3 (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
07 Jul 42 12:00 - 09 Jul 42 1:00
SU: 34 SD (Art, AT - Vasilev, L3, BM), 4 SD (Art, AT), 89 SD (Art, AT), 217 SD (Art, AT)
52.318 men /
1.176 KIA
Ger (Lapy): 143 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - von Schröder, L3), 73 ID (Infx2, AT, AA), 28 ID (Infx3)
34.969 men /
1.226 KIA
16. Kaunas (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 2 - Victory)
09 Jul 42 22:00
SU: III SK (HQ, Infx2, AT - Gastilovich, L3, WS), 191 SD (Art, AT), 8 SD (Art, TD), 142 SD (Art, AT), 43 SD (Art, AT),
78 SD (Art, AT), 118 SD (Art, AT), 61 SD (Art, TD), 17 SD (Art, AT)
93.742 men / 5 KIA
Ger (Ariogala): 58 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - Steiner, L4, BM)
Ger (
Jurbarkas): 35 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
16.617 men /
39 KIA
17. Panevezys 2 (Attack - Forest - Defeat)
10 Jul 42 01:00 - 06:00
SU (Kaunas): 61 SD (Art, TD - Horujenko, L2, OD)
10.997 men /
12 KIA
Ger: 36 ID (Infx3 - von Kempski, L4)
8.990 men /
14 KIA
18. Kaunas 2 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 2 - Victory)
10 Jul 42 04:00 - 09:00
SU: VIII SK (HQ - Kashuba, L2, LW, WS), 8 SD (Art, TD), 142 SD (Art, AT), 191 SD (Art, AT), 78 SD (Art, AT),
43 SD (Art, AT), 61 SD (Art, TD), 17 SD (Art, AT), 118 SD (Art, AT), III SK (HQ)
94.178 men / 61 KIA
Ger (
16.699 men /
442 KIA
19. Swislocz (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
09 Jul 42 12:00 - 10 Jul 42 17:00
SU: I SK (HQ, Infx2, AT - Vlassov, L4, WS), 71 SD (Art, TD)
28.193 men /
358 KIA
Ger (Kobryn): SSD(m) 'Reich' (WSSx2, TD, Eng - von Randow, L3, LW, BM)
7.993 men /
637 KIA​

20. Tukums (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
09 Jul 42 07:00 - 10 Jul 42 17:00
SU: 53 SD (Art, TD - Potapov, L2, WS)
10.995 men /
301 KIA
Ger (Vainode): 4 ID (Infx3 - Haase C., L3, FB)
8.998 men /
363 KIA
21. Brzesc Liteweski 5 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 3 - Defeat)
07 Jul 42 16:00 - 10 Jul 42 04:00
SU: 85 SD (Art, AT - Pokrovski, L3), 31 SD (Art, TD), 41 SD (Art, AT), 14 TTGvD (H Arm, Gdsx2, Art, Eng)
41.065 men /
1.138 KIA
Ger (Siedlce - River Crossing): 9 ID (Infx3 - von dem Bach-Zelewski, L3, LW, OD)
Ger (
Biala Podalska - River Crossing): 3 ID (Infx3), 206 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
Ger (
Maloryta): 1 PzD (L Armx2, Mot, ?)
43.963 men /
2.278 KIA​

22. Swislocz 2 (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
10 Jul 42 19:00 - 11 Jul 42 06:00
SU: 85 SD (Art, AT - Pokrovski, L3)
10.206 men /
85 KIA
Ger (Kobryn): 87 ID (Infx2, AT, Art - Harpe, L4, BM)
7.998 men /
95 KIA​

23. Panevezys 3 (Attack - Forest - Defeat)
11 Jul 42 05:00 - 06:00
SU (Kaunas): 6 SD (Art, AT - Tamruchi, L2, OD)
10.998 men /
30 KIA
8.996 men /
13 KIA​

24. Panevezys 4 (Attack - Forest - Defeat)
11 Jul 42 22:00 - 23:00
SU (Kaunas): 61 SD (Art, AT - Horujenko, L2, OD)
11.000 men /
14 KIA
8.982 men /
12 KIA
25. Saldus (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
09 Jul 42 19:00 - 12 Jul 42 12:00
SU: 37 SD (Art, TD - Kachalov, L2, DD)
10.999 men /
731 KIA
Ger (Vainode): 60 ID(m) (Motx2, AC, AT - von Salmuth, L6, FB, BM)
7.949 men /
801 KIA​

26. Kaunas 3 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 2 - Victory)
12 Jul 42 04:00 - 15:00
SU: V SK (HQ, Infx2, AT - Katkov, L3, LW, BM), 8 SD (Art, TD), 142 SD (Art, AT), 191 SD (Art, AT), 78 SD (Art, AT),
43 SD (Art, AT), 61 SD (Art, TD), 17 SD (Art, AT), 6 SD (Art, AT), III SK (HQ)
102.686 men / 161 KIA
Ger (
25.672 men /
1.173 KIA
27. Swislocz 3 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
12 Jul 42 10:00 - 18:00
SU: 34 SD (Art, AT - Vasilev, L3, BM), 4 SD (Art, AT)
19.793 men /
77 KIA
Ger (Hajnowka): 9 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, AC - Schaal, L4, BM)
7.703 men /
193 KIA​

Army Group 2 totals:
SU: 825.903 / 12.196 KIA / 17.689 POW
Ger: 424.221 / 15.449 KIA​

Southern German Front (3 AG / Brjansk HQ):
GebirgsjägerEasternFront-min.jpg

Having lost over 1.000 men with nothing to show for it, the German Mountaineers of 5. Gebirgsjäger Division retreat from Switaz, for the second time. They don't look pleased with the fact that they're having to fight in open plains, using their mules to transport their equipment. This isn't what they trained for, nor what their equipment was designed for.
Another probe into Lwow (1) started at 8pm on the 2nd of July. It was thrown back half an hour later. 2nd of July was quite action-packed. At 9pm, a single German Division attacked Luboml, the third attack on the province. The defenders are becoming ever more exhausted and disorganised. The 7th Army took some initiative at 10pm, launching a two-sided attack on a single WSS Division who had only just occupied Jaworow (2). During the course of the night, more German units would move into Jaworow (2) and shore up the defence. Simultaneously, a three-sided German Attack on Sanok (3) was aimed at distracting 2/3 of the force attacking Jaworow (2), The Red Army held strong, but the odds in Sanok (3) were worsening by the hour.

Both battles were short-lived. Both Jaworow (2) and Sanok (3) were now too well defended for either side to make any headway. The status quo returned at 2am on the 3rd of July. At 8pm, the third battle of Luboml (4) was lost. 5 SD, a fresh Rifle Division is moving into the province, hopefully before the Germans do.

The 4th of July started with a 1am attack on Wlodimierz Wolynski (5). The province was strongly held, and by 4am the Germans halted their offensive.

Another spike in military activity took place at 1am on the 5th of July. Two short-lived Axis probes were easily pushed back. A joint German-Hungarian probe into Turka (6) and a German probe into Lwow (7). Krasne (9) was also attacked at the same time. At 9 am, after more than 4 days of fighting, the Germans finally abandoned their third offensive into Switaz (8). Casualties were heavy, over 1,5k dead Soviets, and close to 3k German casualties. A concerted German offensive into Sanok (11) started at 10am, from four different directions, including from the recently lost province of Jaworow. At 11am, 5 SD arrived in Luboml (13) before any German units could occupy the province, spurring the 4th battle over Luboml. To try and take advantage of the Sanok (11)-shaped distraction of German units in the area, the Red Army orchestrated a two-Division spoiling attack on Jaworow (12), starting at 7pm. Krasne (9) was easily held, thanks to the presence of Fortifications, IS-2 Heavy Tanks, and Guards Riflemen, the enemy paid dearly before retreating at 9pm, having suffered over 4 times Soviet casualties.

The 6th of July, brought another 1am German Division-size attack on Lwow (10), and., and the former at 4am. The battle of Sanok (11) ended at the same time, in a clear Soviet victory. Soviet casualties were below 500, German ones substantially higher. Following that victory, the spoiling attack on Jaworow (12) was halted at 6am.

While it had looked like a close-run affair to start with, additional German reinforcements turned the fourth battle of Luboml (13) into a desperate defence against the odds, with 5 times Soviet numbers attacking from three sides across the river. The battle ended in defeat at 6 am on the 7th. Soviet casualties were over 1.100, German ones under 300.

1am probes are back in fashion on the 8th of July, with new German offensives on Lwow (14) and Switaz (15), both were repelled after an hour.

On the 9th of July, the Wehrmacht followed up on it's capture of Luboml, with an attack on Poryck (17), the province was held by a single Division that wasn't dug in, so the odds weren't looking good.

Tiger_2_tank_86_Destroyed-min.jpg

A destroyed Tiger II tank remains in the woods of Sambor, after the German 5th Heavy Tank Division was forced to retreat by a concerted Soviet counter-offensive.
The 10th was once again marked by two 1am German attacks, on Sanok (8), and on Turka (16). The latter ended 1 hour in, the Teutonic advance being halted at once. The battle of Poryck (17) sadly ended in a loss, but casualties were low, and in our favour. Sanok (18) was won by 1pm. After all the Germans pulled out, only a single Hungarian Division remained in the fight, the casualty ratio was over 17-1 in our favour. Equally good news was the 1pm Soviet push into Sambor (19), which was instantly rewarded with retreating King Tiger tanks, and the return of a little piece of our territory. A third battle of Turka (20) started at 7pm.

Switaz was, once more, the target of German aggression, starting at 1am on the 11th. At 7am another Wehrmacht attack into Kowel started.A daring Soviet massed attack on Jaworow (21) started at 2pm, and it was the added pressure from this flanking attack that pushed the Germans to abandon their push into Turka (20) an hour later. Then, at 4pm, the attack on Jaworow (21) was called off after a mere 2 hours, with light casualties.

The 12th of July started off well, with two victories at 3am, both in Kowel (22) and Sanok (23) the German and German-Hungarian attacks were successfully repulsed, with many times more Axis casualties than losses of our own.

3AG42-07-12-min.jpeg

Map of Brjansk HQ's front line (blue). The previous report's front line is indicated in Yellow. The smaller circles indicate small scale battles (in number of Red Army troops involved).
The Southern part of the front has held a lot better, this is thanks to a slightly higher concentration of units, and the fact that most of this part of the front is behind the river, but some cracks are showing.

1. Lwow 2 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 3 - Victory)
02 Jul 42 20:00
SU: XXIX GvSK (HQ, Gdsx2, AT - Popov M.M., L4, DD), 72 GvSD (TD, Eng), 10 TTGvD (H Arm, Gdsx2, Art, Eng), 76 GvSD (AT, Eng),
77 GvSD (AT, Eng)
62.806 men / 3 KIA
Ger (Zolkiew): 95 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - Böttcher F., L3, BM)
7.837 men
/ 134 KIA
2. Jaworow 5 (Attack - Plains - Defeat)
02 Jul 42 22:00 - 03 Jul 42 02:00
SU (Sanok): 62 SD (Art, AT - Rogachev, L2, Trk), 139 SD (Art, AT), 2 SD (Art, AT), 159 SD (Art, AT)
SU (
Turka): 48 SD (Art, AT), 10 SD (Art, AT)
65.767 men /
43 KIA
Ger: SSD(m) 'Wiking' (WSSx2, AC, Mot-AA, Eng - von Manteuffel, L4, DD, BM), SS-Verfügungstruppe (WSS)
17.951 men
/ 179 KIA
3. Sanok 2 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
SU (Multiple Combat Penalty): 62 SD (Art, AT - Rogachev, L2, Trk), 139 SD (Art, AT), 2 SD (Art, AT), 159 SD (Art, AT), 189 SD (Art, AT)
54.558 men /
24 KIA
Ger(Jaroslaw - River Crossing): 93 ID (Infx2, AT, Art - von Bismarck, L2, BM)
Ger(
Gorlice - River Crossing): 6 ID (Infx3)
Ger(
Debica - River Crossing): 33 ID (Infx3)
25.878 men
/ 91 KIA
4. Luboml 3 (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
SU: 13 SD (Art, AT - Odintsov, L3, FB)
10.008 men /
125 KIA
Ger(Zamosc - River Crossing): 45 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - Felber, L3, OD), 5 sPzD (H Arm, Mot, TD, Mot-AA), 62 ID (Infx2, TD, Eng)
23.252 men
/ 243 KIA
5. Wlodzimierz Wolynski (Defence - Forest - Victory)
04 Jul 42 01:00 - 04:00
SU: 122 SD (Art, AT - Nikishin, L3), 67 SD (Art, TD)
21.687 men /
8 KIA
Ger(Zolkiew - River Crossing): 95 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - Böttcher F., L3, BM)
7.700 men
/ 47 KIA
6. Turka (Defence - Forest - Victory)
05 Jul 42 01:00
SU: 10 SD (Art, TD - Shtevnev, L2, BM), 48 SD (Art, AT), 56 SD (Art, AT), 180 SD (Art, AT), 181 SD (Art, AT)
54.186 men /
2 KIA
Ger(Gorlice - River Crossing): 216 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - ?)
7.979 men
/ 23 KIA
Hun(Uzhorod): 25 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT - ?)
7.980 men /
23 KIA

7. Lwow 3 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 3 - Victory)
SU: XXIX GvSK (HQ, Gdsx2, AT - Popov M.M., L4, DD), 72 GvSD (TD, Eng), 10 TTGvD (H Arm, Gdsx2, Art, Eng), 76 GvSD (AT, Eng),
77 GvSD (AT, Eng), 49 SD (Art, AT), 75 SD (Art, TD), XI SK (HQ, Infx2, AT), XII SK (HQ, Infx2, AT), 7ya Armiya (HQ)
90.336 men / 5 KIA
Ger (Przemysl): 11 PzD (Arm, Mot, Mot-AA, Eng - Heinrici, L5), 8 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
15.863 men /
22 KIA
8. Switaz 3 (Defence - Plains - Victory)
01 Jul 42 22:00 - 05 Jul 42 09:00
SU: 54 SD (Art, AT - Chernyak, L2-3), 104 SD (Art, AT), 23 SD (Art, AT)
32.227 men /
1.531 KIA
Ger (Maloryta): 10 ID(m) (Motx2, TD, Eng - Müller An., L3, OD)
Ger (
Kowel): 5 GbjD (Mtnx3)
17.992 men /
2.862 KIA​

9. Krasne (Defence - Plains - Fort Level 2 - Victory)
SU: 10 TTGvD (Vatutin, L4), 42 SD (Art, AT)
21.927 men /
184 KIA
Ger (Zolkiew): 10 ID(m) (Motx2, TD, Eng - Müller An., L3, OD)
7.653 men /
759 KIA​

10. Lwow 4 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 3 - Victory)
06 Jul 42 01:00 - 04:00
SU: XXIX GvSK (HQ, Gdsx2, AT - Popov M.M., L4, DD), 72 GvSD (TD, Eng), 10 TTGvD, 76 GvSD (AT, Eng), 77 GvSD (AT, Eng),
49 SD (Art, AT), 75 SD (Art, TD), XI SK (HQ, Infx2, AT), XII SK (HQ, Infx2, AT)
89.361 men / 14 KIA
Ger (Przemysl): 8 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - von Sponeck, L2, OD, BM)
7.953 men /
90 KIA
11. Sanok 3 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
05 Jul 42 10:00 - 06 Jul 42 04:00
SU: 62 SD (Art, AT - Rogachev, L2, Trk), 139 SD (Art, AT), 2 SD (Art, AT), 159 SD (Art, AT), 189 SD (Art, AT)
54.661 men /
452 KIA
Ger(Jaworow): 2 sPzD (H Arm, Mot, AC, Mot-AA - Jodl A., L4, OD)
Ger(
Jaroslaw - River Crossing): 211 ID (Infx2, ??)
Ger(
Gorlice - River Crossing): 6 ID (Infx3)
Ger(
Debica - River Crossing): 33 ID (Infx3), 75 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
49.688 men
/ 737 KIA​

12. Jaworow 6 (Attack - Plains - Defeat)
05 Jul 42 19:00 - 06 Jul 42 04:00
SU (Turka): 56 SD (Art, AT - Novikov V. V., L2, BM), 180 SD (Art, AT)
21.536 men /
324 KIA
Ger (Multiple Combat Penalty): 2 sPzD (H Arm, Mot, AC, Mot-AA - Jodl A., L4, OD), 10 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, AC),
SSD(m) 'Wiking' (WSSx2, AC, Mot-AA, Eng), SS-Verfügungstruppe (WSS)
26.509 men / 159 KIA​

13. Luboml 4 (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
05 Jul 42 11:00 - 07 Jul 42 06:00
SU: 5 SD (Art, AT - Zhmachenko, L3)
10.998 men /
1.150 KIA
Ger(Zamosc - River Crossing): 5 sPzD (H Arm, Mot, TD, Mot-AA - Phleps, L3, OD), 62 ID (Infx2, TD, Eng), 45 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
Ger(
Zolkiew - River Crossing): 223 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
Ger(
Chelm - River Crossing): 4 LeichteD (Motx2, AC), 3 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, AC)
47.867 men
/ 299 KIA​

14. Lwow 5 (Defence - Urban - Fort Level 3 - Victory)
08 Jul 42 01:00 - 02:00
SU: XXIX GvSK (HQ, Gdsx2, AT - Popov M.M., L4, DD), 72 GvSD (TD, Eng), 10 TTGvD, 76 GvSD (AT, Eng), 77 GvSD (AT, Eng),
49 SD (Art, AT), XII SK (HQ, Infx2, AT)
70.857 men / 12 KIA
Ger (Przemysl): 1 PzD (Arm, Mot, Mot-AA, Eng - Heinrici, L5, BM), 8 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
15.858 men /
84 KIA​
15. Switaz 4 (Defence - Plains - Victory)
SU: 54 SD (Art, AT - Chernyak, L2-3), 104 SD (Art, AT), 23 SD (Art, AT)
31.722 men /
19 KIA
Ger (Chelm - River Crossing): 16 ID(m) (Motx2, TD, Mot-AA - von Massow, L2, OD), 46 ID (Infx2, AT, Eng), Kav-Kdo (Cavx2)
21.994 men /
46 KIA​

16. Turka 2 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
10 Jul 42 01:00
SU: 10 SD (Art, TD - Shtevnev, L2, BM), 48 SD (Art, AT), 56 SD (Art, AT), 180 SD (Art, AT), 181 SD (Art, AT)
54.376 men /
18 KIA
Ger(Gorlice - River Crossing): 228 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - von Beyer, L4, BM)
7.979 men
/ 36 KIA
Hun(Gorlice - River Crossing): 2 Gly (Infx2 - Veress, L3)
Hun(
Uzhorod): 16 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT)
13.995 men /
63 KIA

17. Poryck (Defence - Plains - Defeat)
09 Jul 42 17:00 - 10 Jul 42 06:00
SU: 11 SD (Art, AT - Leselidze, L2, FB)
10.895 men /
100 KIA
Ger(Luboml): 4 LeichteD (Motx2, AC - Geib, L4, DD)
6.998 men
/ 120 KIA​

18. Sanok 4 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
10 Jul 42 01:00 - 07:00
SU: 62 SD (Art, AT - Rogachev, L2, Trk), 139 SD (Art, AT), 2 SD (Art, AT), 159 SD (Art, AT), 189 SD (Art, AT)
54.760 men /
43 KIA
Ger(Jaroslaw - River Crossing): 93 ID (Infx2, AT, Art - von Bismarck, L2, BM), 211 ID (Infx2, ??)
Ger(
Debica - River Crossing): 196 ID (Infx2, AT, AA)
Ger(
Jaworow): 10 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, AC)
Ger(
Gorlice - River Crossing): 216 ID (Infx2, AC, AT)
39.922 men
/ 332 KIA
Hun(Gorlice - River Crossing): 7 Gly (Infx2 - Ruszkiczay-Rüdiger, L2)
5.998 men / 431 KIA

19. Sambor (Attack - Plains - Victory)
10 Jul 42 13:00
SU (Drohobycz): 183 SD (Art, AT - Purkaev S. F., L2, WS), 27 SD (Art, AT)
21.529 men /
10 KIA
Ger: 5 sPzD (H Arm, Mot, TD, Mot-AA - Phleps, L3, OD)
25.497 men
/ 11 KIA​

20. Turka 3 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
10 Jul 42 19:00 - 11 Jul 42 15:00
54.357 men /
345 KIA
Ger(Jaworow): 10 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, AC - Model, L6, DD, BM), 2 sPzD (H Arm, Mot, AC, Mot-AA)
Ger(
Gorlice - River Crossing): 228 ID (Infx2, AC, AT - von Beyer, L4, BM)
23.915 men
/ 914 KIA​

21. Jaworow 7 (Attack - Plains - Defeat)
11 Jul 42 14:00 16:00
SU (Sanok): 62 SD (Art, AT - Rogachev, L2, Trk), 139 SD (Art, AT), 2 SD (Art, AT), 159 SD (Art, AT), 189 SD (Art, AT)
54.765 men /
105 KIA
Ger (Multiple Combat Penalty): 10 PzD (Arm, Mot, TD, AC - Model, L6, DD, BM), 2 sPzD (H Arm, Mot, AC, Mot-AA), SS-Verf. (WSS)
18.454 men
/ 102 KIA​

22. Kowel (Defence - Forest - Victory)
11 Jul 42 07:00 - 12 Jul 42 03:00
SU: 33 SD (Art, AT - Kholostyakov, L2, Cdo), 179 SD (Art, AT)
21.988 men /
144 KIA
Ger(Maloryta): 34 ID (Infx3 - Volkmann, L3, OD)
8.997 men
/ 476 KIA​

23. Sanok 5 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
11 Jul 42 16:00 - 12 Jul 42 03:00
54.659 men /
27 KIA
Ger(Debica - River Crossing): 15 PzD (Arm, Mot, SP-Art, TD - Kirchner, L4, BM), 8 PzD (Arm, Mot, AC, Mot-AA),
SSD(m) 'Wiking' (WSSx2, AC, Mot-AA, Eng)
24.712 men / 281 KIA
Hun(Gorlice - River Crossing): 2 Gly (Infx2 - Veress, L3)
5.931 men / 357 KIA

Southern German Front totals:
SU: 940.578 / 4.684 KIA
Ger: 458.446 / 8.047 KIA​

Hungarian Front (3 AG & 4 AG / Brjansk HQ & Odessa HQ):
hungarians-1-min.jpg

Hungarian forces of 5. TP on the move towards Stanislawow. After several days of fighting, the outnumbered Soviet defenders are retreating. The first offensive victory of the war for the Hungarians. The question remains whether they'll be able to occupy the province before Col. General Volskiy manages to move a fresh Rifle Division into their path. They are equipped with great war era Mannlicher M1895 bolt-action rifles, and their uniforms are a mix of Wehrmacht surplus and Great War era stuff. Both in equipment and training, they seem to be significantly behind the curve.
Hostilities on the Hungarian border started with Shtevnev probing the Hungarian defences in the Hills of Uzhorod (1) at 4pm on the 4th of July, the battle lasted only two hours as the entrenched Hungarian defenders outnumbered their attackers four to one.

A Hungarian probe into Drohobycz (2) at 1am the next day was shrugged off in minutes.

A brave Soviet Attack on Volove (3), was initiated at 1am on the 6th of July with twice as many Hungarian defenders in the mountains, as there were attackers, it was abandoned at 3am. At 5am, a Hungarian attack into Stanislawow (8) started, numbers are 2-1 in Hungary's favour, it might end badly.

At 1am on the 8th, another Hungarian probe into Drohobycz (4) started, it was repelled in an hour.

Only on the 10th was there more action. A Soviet 2-division attack on Volove (5) was started to relieve some of the pressure on Stanislawow (8). A simultaneous Hungarian attack on Dolina (), from where the attack on Volove (5) was launched, cut short this experiment, as Larichev wisely decided to concentrate on holding his position. This did mean that the defenders of Dolina (6) weren't entrenched in the face of the oncoming attack. Dolina (6) was held, and that battle was over by 6am, as well as the third Hungarian probe into Drohobycz (7). The battle of Stanisalwow (8) was lost at 9am. After more than 4 days of fighting, the outnumbered Soviet riflemen could take no more, casualties are slightly in favour of Hungary, with 1.200 Soviet KIA's, for just short of 1.000 Hungarians.

Another battle for Drohovycz (10) started at 4am on the 11th of July. As night fell, at 10pm, two Soviet attacks started, one into Volove (11), and one into Svalava (). In both cases, the riflemen were outnumbered. But there were some favourable factors. In Volove (), the defenders had been softened up by bombing runs and previous fighting, and in Svalava (12), some of the dfenders were distracted by their own offensive into Drohovycz (10).

By midnight, the Hungarians halted their attack on Drohowycz (10), and 4ya Armiya halted it's attack on Volove (11). The attack on Svalava (12) ended in failure at 9am on the 12th, with twice as many Soviet losses as Hungarian ones.

4AG42-07-12-min.jpeg

Map of 4ya Armiya's front line (teal). The smaller circles indicate small scale battles (in number of Red Army troops involved).
With the addition of a corps from the Romanian border, the Hungarian Border can probably be held. Worryingly, Bulgarian troops are making their way to the front, though it isn't clear whether they will reinforce the German southern front, or the Hungarian border.

1. Uzhorod (Attack - Hills - Defeat)
04 Jul 42 16:00 - 18:00
SU (Turka): 10 SD (Art, TD - Shtevnev, L2, BM)
11.000 men /
105 KIA
Hun: 25 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT - Kiss L., L2, LW), 16 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT), 3 TP (Infx2, AT, AA), 20 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT), 29 TP (Infx2, AT, AA),
7 Gly (Infx2), 9 Gly (Infx2)
51.972 men / 22 KIA
2. Drohobycz (Defence - Forest - Victory)
SU: 27 SD (Art, AT - Vinogradov, L2), 183 SD (Art, AT)
19.994 men /
17 KIA
Hun(Uzhorod): 16 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT - ?)
Hun(
Svalava): 32 TP (Infx2, AT, Art), 27 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT), 30 Gly (Infx2, AT, Art)
31.970 men /
5 KIA
3. Volove (Attack - Hills - Defeat)
06 Jul 42 01:00 - 03:00
SU (Dolina): 121 SD (Art, TD - Larichev, L2, DD), 55 SD (Art, AT)
21.994 men /
70 KIA
Hun: 5 TP (Infx2, AT, AA - Malor J., L2, BM), 31 TP (Infx2, AT, AA), , 8 TP (Infx2, AT, Art), 6 TP (Infx2, AT, Art),
'Szent Laszlo' Hly (Infx2, AT, AA)
39.981 men / 17 KIA
4. Drohobycz 2 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
SU: 27 SD (AT - Vinogradov, L2), 183 SD (AT)
20.724 men /
25 KIA
Hun(Svalava): 25 Gly (Infx2, AT, AA - Kiss L., L2, LW), 27 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT)
Hun(
Uzhorod): 16 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT), 3 TP (Infx2, AT, AA)
31.994 men /
34 KIA

5. Volove 2 (Attack - Hills - Defeat)
10 Jul 42 01:00 - 02:00
21.998 men /
31 KIA
Hun: 5 TP (Infx2, AT, AA - Major J., L2, BM), 31 TP (Infx2, AT, AA), , 8 TP (Infx2, AT, Art), 6 TP (Infx2, AT, Art),
38.289 men / 8 KIA

6. Dolina (Defence - Forest - Victory)
10 Jul 42 01:00 - 06:00
SU (Multiple Combat Penalty): 121 SD (Art, TD - Larichev, L2, DD), 55 SD (Art, AT)
20.724 men /
25 KIA
Hun(Volove): 31 TP (Infx2, AT, AA - Decleva, L2, LW), 'Szent Laszlo' Hly (Infx2, AT, AA)
15.919 men /
51 KIA

7. Drohobycz 3 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
10 Jul 42 04:00 - 06:00
SU: 27 SD (Art, AT - Vinogradov, L2), 183 SD (Art, AT), 176 SD (AT)
31.529 men /
1 KIA
Hun(Uzhorod): 25 Gly (Infx2, AT, AA - Kiss L., L2, LW)
Hun(
Svalava): 27 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT)
15.992 men /
63 KIA

8. Stanislawow (Defence - Forest - Defeat)
05 Jul 42 05:00 - 10 Jul 42 09:00
SU: 184 SD (Art, AT - Erastov, L2, OD)
10.780 men /
1.200 KIA
Hun(Volove): 5 TP (Infx2, AT, AA - Major J., L2, BM), 6 TP (Infx2, AT, Art),
Hun(
Rachov): 13 Gly (Infx2)
21.982 men /
926 KIA

9. Drohobycz 4 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
10 Jul 42 14:00 - 16:00
31.518 men /
36 KIA
Hun(Svalava): 32 TP (Infx2, AT, Art - Brunswik, L1, OD), 4 TP (Infx2, AT, Art)
Hun(
Uzhorod): 20 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT)
23.995 men /
83 KIA

10. Drohobycz 5 (Defence - Forest - Victory)
10 Jul 42 14:00 - 16:00
31.480 men /
232 KIA
Hun(Svalava): 24 Gly (Infx2, AT, AA - Stomm, L3, BM), 30 Gly (Infx2, AT, Art)
15.997 men /
312 KIA

11. Volove 3 (Attack - Hills - Defeat)
11 Jul 42 22:00 - 00:00
22.000 men /
53 KIA
Hun: 5 TP (Infx2, AT, AA - Major J., L2, BM), 31 TP (Infx2, AT, AA), , 8 TP (Infx2, AT, Art), 6 TP (Infx2, AT, Art),
37.809 men / 9 KIA

12. Svalava (Attack - Hills - Defeat)
11 Jul 42 22:00 - 12 Jul 42 09:00
SU (Skole): 182 SD (Art, TD - Ermakov, L2, OD), 143 SD (Art, AT)
21.752 men /
313 KIA
Hun: 32 TP (Infx2, AT, Art - Brunswik, L1, OD), 4 TP (Infx2, AT, Art), 27 Gly (Infx2, AC, AT), 24 Gly (Infx2, AT, AA), 30 Gly (Infx2, AT, Art)
39.620 men /
145 KIA
Hungarian totals:
SU: 346.177 / 2.144 KIA
Hun: 399.414 / 2.549 KIA
Bombardment:
7 Bomber and Assault Aviation Divisions were deployed and have been flying Ground Attack missions in support of ground troops. Nearly all of the raids were flown during daytime to allow the units some time to repair and recuperate, as dedicated German AAA regiments are quite prevalent amongst German Divisions. IV IAK-PVO also took part in a bombing raid of it's own initiative, thought the Yak-7s are utterly unsuited for attacking targets on the ground, and the resulting German casualties were insignificant.​

- Province (Number of Missions, Aircraft lost, Bombing casualties)​

II ShAK - Ftr, CASx2 - 124 La-7, 248 Il-10 - 620 airmen - Nowogrodek - Marshall Av. Novikov, L3, TB

- Suwalki (3 / 22 / 283)
- Kybartai (9 / 19 / 1.307)
- Lapy (9 / 14 / 1.055)
- Hajnowka (4 / 1 / 574)
IV IAK-PVO - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Kaunas - Lt. Gen. Av. Rychagov, L2, SAT

- Suwalki (1 / 0 / 9)
I ShAK - Ftr, CASx2 - 124 La-7, 248 Il-10 - 620 airmen - Lwow - Lt. Gen. Av. Zhigarev, L3, TB

- Jaroslaw (3 / 18 / 475)
- Volove (6 / 19 / 713)
- Svalava (1 / 0 / 98)
IV ShAK - Ftr, CASx2 - 124 La-7, 248 Il-10 - 620 airmen - Lwow - Lt. Gen. Av. Rudenko, L2, TB

- Zolkiew (10 / 21 / 1.108)
- Uzhorod (1 / 21 / 83)
- Zamosc (1 / 4 / 195)
- Kobryn (2 / 0 / 241)
- Luboml (1 / 2 / 125)
- Maloryta (1 / 1 / 181)
V ShAK - Ftr, CASx2 - 124 La-7, 248 Il-10 - 620 airmen - Kaunas - Lt. Gen. Av. Goryunov, L2

- Kalvarija (4 / 15 / 347)
- Plunge (2 / 1 / 116)
- Siauliai (3 / 1 / 293)
- Jurbarkas (8 / 23 / 860)
- Raseinai (1 / 1 / 75)
- Vainode (5 / 2 / 410)
II BAK - Ftr, Tacx2 - 124 La-7, 200 Yak-4 - 524 airmen - Vinnytsya - Lt. Gen. Av. Yakovlev, L3, TB

- Zamosc (4 / 11 / 584)
- Jaworow (1 / 5 / 117)
- Debica (1 / 4 / 162)
- Volove (7 / 27 / 1.389)
I BAK - Ftr, Tacx2 - 124 La-7, 200 Yak-4 - 524 airmen - Minsk - Lt. Gen. Av. Golovanov, L3-4, CB

- Lapy (2 / 1 / 247)
- Bialystok (14 / 12 / 1.965)
III ShAK - Ftr, CASx2 - 124 La-7, 248 Il-10 - 620 airmen - Kaunas - Lt. Gen. Av. Kutakhov, L3, TB

- Taurage (12 / 12 / 1.429)
- Kalvarija (7 / 16 / 858)
- Dobele (2 / 1 / 266)
- Merech (3 / 7 / 429)
Logistical Strikes, there still only one Heavy Bombardment Division active, as 2. DBAD is still getting organised. After infrastructure in Maloryta had been reduced to pre-historic levels, and the fall of Brzesc Litewski. Logistical Strikes on Luboml started, in an attempt to avoid a breakthrough across the Bug river :

- Province (Number of Missions, Aircraft lost, Heavy AAA guns destroyed (10 AA guns / Level), Infra damage, Supplies destroyed (Tonnes), Fuel destroyed (cubic metres))

I DBAK - Str - 81 TB-3 - 648 airmen - Homel - Maj. Gen. Av. Kalinin, L2
- Maloryta (10 / 0 / 2 / 2,24 / 82,3 / 62,8)
- Luboml (7 / 1 / 0 / 3,29 / 63,1 / 42,8)

Junkers Ju-86K-2_HAF-min.jpg

Hungarian Ju-86K-2's also attempted to bomb our troops, but as opposed to some of the German Ju-88s, they never even got close to Soviet lines before they were intercepted.
Three Axis bombing missions managed to kill Soviet Servicemen on the ground, right before being intercepted by the VVS, the others were intercepted before they could do any damage.

- Province (Number of Missions, Aircraft lost, Bombing casualties)

Luftflotte 'Mahnke' - Ftr, Tacx2 - 112 FW-190D, 186 Ju-88A-4 - 856 airmen - Genlt. Mahnke, L5, TB, CB
- Narew (1 / 54 / 261)
Luftflotte 'Sperrle' - Ftr, Tacx2 - 112 FW-190D, 161 Ju-88A-4 - 756 airmen - Genlt. Sperrle, L5, TB, CB

- Saldus (1 / 146 / 147)
Luftflotte 'Dörstling' - Ftr, Tacx2 - 89 FW-190D, 185 Ju-88A-4 - 829 airmen - Genlt. Dörstling, L3, TB

- Saldus (1 / 55 / 206)
Bombing Totals (last 10 days):
VVS bomber losses: 130 Missions / 405 planes (30 Yak-4's, 171 Il-10s, 203 La-7's, 1 TB-3) / 613 KIA
Luftwaffe bomber losses: 3 Missions / 255 planes (177 Ju-88A-4, 127 FW-190D) / 835 KIA
RHAF bomber losses: 173 planes (94 Ju-86K-2, 79 Ju-87) / 346 KIA
Axis Bombing losses: 15.941 KIA / 2 AAA guns / 5,5 Infra / 145,4 Supplies / 105,6 Fuel
Soviet Bombing losses: 408 KIA
Bombing Totals (GPW - 20 days):

VVS bomber losses: 251 Missions / 759 planes (177 Yak-4's, 300 Il-10s, 281 La-7's, 1 TB-3) / 1.243 KIA
Luftwaffe bomber losses: 3 Missions / 605 planes (286 Ju-88A-4, 319 FW-190D) / 1.463 KIA
RHAF bomber losses: 173 planes (94 Ju-86K-2, 79 Ju-87) / 346 KIA
Axis Bombing losses: 32.874 KIA / 7 AAA guns / 8,9 Infra / 269,4 Supplies / 612,1 Fuel
Soviet Bombing losses: 408 KIA

Map of Bombings and Air Battles over the main front. Each bomb stands for one day of bombing missions, with the size of the bombs indicating the size of the Aeroplanes dropping them. 50 kg for CAS, 100 kg for Tac, and 500 kg for Str. (the latter is not to scale). The counters indicate where various wings are based, and the Yak-7 silhouettes with numbers on the wings indicate the Aerial Battles. German efforts that were successful in killing Soviet servicemen on the ground are indicated with grey German-designed bombs. (all 100kg for Tac)
VVS_42-07-12-min.jpeg

Map of Bombings and Air Battles over the main front. Each bomb stands for one day of bombing missions, with the size of the bombs indicating the size of the Aeroplanes dropping them. 50 kg for CAS, 100 kg for Tac, and 500 kg for Str. (the latter is not to scale). The counters indicate where various wings are based, and the Yak-7 silhouettes with numbers on the wings indicate the Aerial Battles. German efforts that were successful in killing Soviet servicemen on the ground are indicated with grey German-designed bombs. (all 100kg for Tac)​

Air Battles:
The air war continued, with clear Soviet superiority over the main front line. 6 more German attempts at bombing our troops were intercepted, with our Yak-7s inflicting a heavy toll on German bomber wings and their escorting fighters. Some bombers did manage to drop there bombs on our troops before being intercepted, but all told the losses are minor, with more than 80 times as many losses having been inflicted on the Axis by our bombers since the start of the war. A halfhearted attempt by the Luftwaffe to try and stop our bombers over Suwalki ended when the only German Interceptor wing near the front was further reduced to less than 25% of it's original number of aeroplanes.

With the Hungarian entry into the war, the Royal Hungarian Air Force (RHAF) came out in force. First, they attempted to disrupt a VVS ground attack mission over Uzhorod, with Italian-built CR.32 biplanes. Then they threw there slightly less obsolete German surplus bombers at our own lines, three times. Every time, VVS fighters managed to fly rings around the Hungarian planes, with very minimal losses to the VVS, the RHAF was banished from the skies again and again, having lost a third of it's bomber force, and a tenth of it's CR.32 fighter force. (and that's only because the Il-10s were often in the way of the Yak-7's line of fire, with the CR.32s purposefully using the slow Assault bombers, who were occupied bombing Hungarians on the ground, to shield themselves from death by four 12,7mm Berezin UB machine-guns.

The air over the Western Baltic Sea and the Öresund was something else entirely. The Navy Air Fleet faced close to 1.000 Me-109s, and only through a cunning distraction could paratroopers be landed in Slagelse without being shot to pieces before they even left their aeroplanes. If operation Aegir goes well, the Air Base in Copenhagen should provide the VVS with the infrastructure to contest air superiority over the Western Baltic and Zealand.

1. Switaz (German Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
03 Jul 42 05:00 - 08:00
VVS: VII IAK - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Brzesc Litweski - Lt. Gen. Av. Eremin, L3
496 planes / 496 airmen /
10 downed / 10 KIA
Luftwaffe: JG 106, KG 54, KG 55 - Ftr, Tacx2 - 112 FW-190D, 186 Ju-88A-4 - 856 airmen - ? - Genlt. Keller, L3, SAT, TB
298 planes / 856 airmen /
54 downed / 63 KIA​

2. Suwalki (Soviet Ground Attack / German & Soviet Intercept - Victory)
03 Jul 42 14:00 - 18:00
VVS: II ShAK - Ftr, CASx2 - 121 La-7, 247 Il-10 - 615 airmen - Nowogrodek - Marshall Av. Novikov, L3, TB
IV IAK-PVO - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Kaunas - Lt. Gen. Av. Rychagov, L2, SAT
864 planes / 1.111 airmen / 23 downed / 42 KIA
Luftwaffe: JG 4 - Intx3 - 73 Me-109G - 73 airmen - ? - Genmaj. Fisser, L1, SAT
73 planes / 73 airmen /
49 downed / 49 KIA
3. Uzhorod (Soviet Ground Attack / Hungarian & Soviet Intercept - Victory)
04 Jul 42 18:00 - 21:00
VVS: IV ShAK - Ftr, CASx2 - 120 La-7, 232 Il-10 - 584 airmen - Lwow - Lt. Gen. Av. Rudenko, L2, TB
I IAK - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Lwow - Lt. Gen. Av. Rog, L3
848 planes / 1.080 airmen / 21 downed / 40 KIA
RHAF: I Vly, I Ely, II Ely - Intx3 - 369 CR.32 - 369 airmen - ? - Vezds. (Lt. Gen. Av.) Rakösi, L1, SAT
369 planes / 369 airmen /
34 downed / 34 KIA
4. Mariampolé (German Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
08 Jul 42 08:00 - 11:00
VVS: IV IAK-PVO - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Kaunas - Lt. Gen. Av. Rychagov, L2, SAT
10 downed / 10 KIA
Luftwaffe: KG 28, KG 51 - Tacx2 - 186 Ju-88A-4 - 744 airmen - ? - Genlt. Göring, L3, CB
186 planes / 744 airmen /
50 downed / 200 KIA​

5. Narew (German Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
08 Jul 42 11:00 - 14:00
VVS: VII IAK - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Brzesc Litweski - Lt. Gen. Av. Eremin, L3
25 downed / 25 KIA
Luftwaffe: JG 54, KG 26, KG 27 - Ftr, Tacx2 - 112 FW-190D, 186 Ju-88A-4 - 856 airmen - ? - Genlt. Mahnke, L3, SAT
298 planes / 856 airmen /
54 downed / 189 KIA​

6. Saldus (German Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
11 Jul 42 05:00 - 08:00
VVS: IV IAK-PVO - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Kaunas - Lt. Gen. Av. Rychagov, L2, SAT
27 downed / 27 KIA
Luftwaffe: JG 104, KG 25, KG 30 - Ftr, Tacx2 - 112 FW-190D, 161 Ju-88A-4 - 756 airmen - ? - Genlt. Sperrle, L5, TB, CB
273 planes / 756 airmen /
121 downed / 283 KIA​

7. Pommeranian Coast (Soviet Intercept - Weather -14,5% (fog) - Victory)
11 Jul 42 12:00 - 15:00
VMF: 2 KPA - CAG - 32 La-7VM, 32 Il-10VM - 96 airmen - Leningrad (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Falaleev, L4
7 KPA - CAG - 32 La-7VM, 32 Il-10VM - 96 airmen - Moskva (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Kapitochin, L2
128 planes / 192 airmen / 1 downed / 2 KIA
Luftwaffe: Seeaufklärungsgruppe - Nav - 33 Ju-290A-5 - 297 airmen - ? - Oberst Ritter, L3, FD
33 planes / 297 airmen /
9 downed / 81 KIA
8. Turka (Hungarian Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
11 Jul 42 12:00 - 15:00
VVS: VI IAK - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Lwow - Lt. Gen. Av. Rog, L3
1 downed / 1 KIA
RHAF: I VazOs - Tac - 93 Ju-86K-2 - 186 airmen - ? - Altbgy. (Maj. Gen. Av.) Hellebronth, L0, SAT
93 planes / 186 airmen /
34 downed / 68 KIA

9. Drohobycz (Hungarian Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
11 Jul 42 14:00 - 17:00
VVS: II IAK - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Lwow - Lt. Gen. Av. Astakhov, L4, NF
1 downed / 1 KIA
RHAF: I Bdly, II Bdly - Tacx2 - 186 Ju-86K-2 - 372 airmen - ? - Vezds. (Lt. Gen. Av.) Rapaich, L1, TB
186 planes / 372 airmen /
60 downed / 120 KIA

10. Öresund (Soviet Air Superiority / German Intercept - Weather -2,5% (fog) - Defeat)
11 Jul 42 23:00 - 12 Jul 42 03:00
VMF: 7 KPA - CAG - 32 La-7VM, 32 Il-10VM - 96 airmen - Moskva (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Kapitochin, L2
2 KPA - CAG - 32 La-7VM, 32 Il-10VM - 96 airmen - Leningrad (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Falaleev, L4
128 planes / 192 airmen / 9 downed / 14 KIA
Luftwaffe: JG 27, JG 138, JG 433, JG 203, JG zbV, JG 301, JG 2, JG 26, JG 109 -
Intx9 - 968 Me-109G - 968 airmen - ? - Genlt. Lörzer, L3, SAT
968 planes / 968 airmen / 112 downed / 112 KIA​

11. Skole (Hungarian Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
12 Jul 42 06:00 - 09:00
VVS: VI IAK - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Lwow - Lt. Gen. Av. Rog, L3
1 downed / 1 KIA
RHAF: I ZbO - CAS - 123 Ju-87 - 246 airmen - ? - Altbgy. (Maj. Gen. Av.) Orosz, L0, TB
123 planes / 246 airmen /
79 downed / 158 KIA

12. Saldus (German Ground Attack attempt / Soviet Intercept - Victory)
11 Jul 42 05:00 - 08:00
VVS: V IAK-PVO - Intx4 - 496 Yak-7 - 496 airmen - Rezneke - Lt. Gen. Av. Skripko, L4
25 downed / 25 KIA
Luftwaffe: JG 50, KG 50, KG 76 - Ftr, Tacx2 - 89 FW-190D, 185 Ju-88A-4 - 829 airmen - ? - Genlt. Dörstling, L3, TB
274 planes / 829 airmen /
55 downed / 148 KIA​

13. Pommeranian Coast (Soviet CAG Duty / German Intercept - Defeat)
12 Jul 42 05:00 - 08:00
VMF: 7 KPA - CAG - 28 La-7VM, 29 Il-10VM - 86 airmen - Moskva (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Kapitochin, L2
2 KPA - CAG - 29 La-7VM, 29 Il-10VM - 87 airmen - Leningrad (Southern Baltic) - Air Capt 1C Falaleev, L4
115 planes / 173 airmen / 20 downed / 30 KIA
Luftwaffe: JG 27, JG 138, JG 433, JG 203, JG zbV, JG 301 - Intx6 - 528 Me-109G - 528 airmen - ? - Genlt. Lörzer, L3, SAT
528 planes / 528 airmen / 101 downed / 101 KIA​
Air Totals (last 10 days):

VVS: 10 battles / 120 Ground Attack / 10 Log. Bomb. / 480 (30 Yak-4, 171 Il-10, 203 La-7, 75 Yak-7, 1 TB-3) / 688 KIA
VMF (Air Fleet): 3 battles / 1 Naval Strike / 33 (16 La-7VM, 17 Il-10VM) / 50 KIA
Total SU: 13 battles / 120 Ground Attack / 10 Log. Bomb. / 1 Naval Strike / 513 / 738 KIA

Luftwaffe: 9 battles / 3 Ground Attack / 501 (213 Me-109G, 127 FW-190D, 152 Ju-88A-4, 9 Ju-290A) / 1.029 KIA
RHAF: 4 Battles / 207 (158 Ju-87, 188 Ju-86K-2, 34 CR.32) / 380 KIA
Axis: 13 Battles / 3 Ground Attacks / 708 / 1.409 KIA

CR32-HAF-min.jpg

Hungarian Fiat CR.32, Italian-built, interwar biplanes, manned and maintained by Hungarians, what could possibly go wrong. Jokes aside, the Hungarian fighter units were surprisingly resilient for their age, with Hungarian pilots taking full advantage of our Il-10s, which were active in the area. Our Yak-7s had to be careful not to hit VVS assault bombers, allowing the Hungarians to come out very disorganised, but largely unscathed. (when compared to the bloodbath that could have been). Now that they know they're hopelessly outmatched, the Hungarian Air Force might keep it's aeroplanes grounded. That said, if they try again, our pilots will surely enjoy the target practice.

Aegean Sea (Odessa HQ):
I. Avianosets Flote has made it to Mythiléné, where it has been joined by the brand new 9. Flotiliya Esmintsev. After a sufficient quantity of fuel and supplies has been stocked, the crews have gotten some rest, and a new rear admiral makes his way over, our Carrier Fleet will be ready to sail again. There is still some disagreement on what our Carriers should do first:

- Find and eliminate the Bulgarian Navy, probably in it's home port, using the superior air power the fleet can bring to bear.
- Go out further into the Mediterranean, and look for the Italian fleet.
- Simply patrol the Eastern Mediterranean, sinking supply ships, and waiting for any enemy reaction.
- Stay in port to save supplies and possibly relocate some of the CAGs to the Baltic to replace the losses suffered in operation Aegir.​

Convoy Raiding:
Baltic Sea: 35 Axis convoys sunk​

Total numbers (GPW):
OV42-07-12-min.jpg

Total Ground losses:

SU: 3.057.847 (+ 2.112.658) / 53.651 KIA (+20.109) (53.243 (+18.988 / ground), 408 (+408 / air)) / 17.689 POW (+17.689)
Ger: 1.881.699 (+882.687) / 49.407 (+23.496 / ground)
Hun: 399.414 / 2.549 (ground)
Axis: 2.281.113 (+1.282.101) / 84.830 KIA (51.956 (+26.045 / ground), 32.874 (+15.941 / air))​

Total Navy losses:
VMF (Surface Fleet): 1 Naval Battle / CVL -3% (air) / CA -4% (surface) / CL -10% (air) / 106 KIA
Kriegsmarine: 1 Naval Battle / 1 DD / 37 (+35) convoys lost / 1.280 KIA​

Total Air Losses (GPW):
VVS: 17 battles / 251 Grd. Attacks / 16 Log. Bomb. / 915 (75 Yak-4, 300 Il-10, 317 La-7, 195 Yak-7, 27 Li-2, 1 TB-3) / 1.519 KIA
VMF (Air Fleet): 6 battles / 1 Naval Strike / 48 (24 La-7VM, 24 Il-10VM) / 72 KIA
Total SU: 23 battles / 268 bombing missions / 963 / 1.519 KIA
Luftwaffe: 19 battles / 3 Ground Attack / 1 Naval Strike / 870 (273 Me-109G, 319 FW-190D, 261 Ju-88A-4, 17 Ju-290A) / 1.789 KIA
RHAF: 4 Battles / 207 (158 Ju-87, 188 Ju-86K-2, 34 CR.32) / 380 KIA
Axis: 23 Battles / 4 bombing missions / 1.077 / 2.169 KIA​

Total Losses (GPW):
72.965 (+37.947 (SU)) / 88.279 (+44.683) (Axis)

These 10 days saw some worrying developments in the North, and the start of operation Aegir. The Armoured AG is still on it's way, but it can be seen closing in with some units less than 100km from the front. A big armoured offensive, with the possible encirclement of tens of German Divisions should stabilise the line in the North. If all goes well, it should also draw German troops from the Southern front, allowing that to stabilise in turn. I'm a bit afraid for 'Odinatsat' and her dangerous mission, but I'm glad she's gained the favour of the brass, to an extent, and that she's been reunited with Sergei. Let's hope we all come out of this war alive. As always, your input is valued,​

Greetings,

'Odin'​

For your information, here is the OOB on the 12th of July 1942, with the inclusion of 4 AG and Odessa HQ due to the entry of Hungary into the war:
OOB42-07-12-min.jpg

XV SK is guarding the Romanian border. I wanted to add this to the above update, but didn't feel like fiddling around with the layout of the entire update for the nth time.

The academic year is starting in a few days, and to keep myself motivated, I'm starting to do preliminary research for my thesis, in parallel with my architecture studio which will start next week. I feel that will take up much of the head-space and research-time currently dedicated to this AAR, it is to be a very personal exercise focusing on the overlap between music and architecture. (I've just started looking for a more specific angle that could work) This, combined with myself taking even more responsibility within the family, means that I'll have to realistically shelve the game and the AAR for now. Even before classes have actually started, demands on my time and nervous energy are higher than I had predicted (maybe rather optimistically). Hence the delay for this update, which was close to completion a week ago. I don't know when I'll be able to continue this journey. I will continue to read AARs and comment whenever I have time (I have some catching up to do...). Thank you all for your support, it has helped me through some difficult times, and helped me exceed my own expectations in creative writing. Some of you, I consider friends, despite never having met.

RoverS3

Dude, you took on one of the hardest and most in-depth missions in this game, the Soviet Union! You've handled it with great aplomb and I've enjoyed not only catching up but keeping up!

Don't let the academics overwhelm you too much. We'll all be awaiting your next installment whenever it comes. Seriously, look at @El Pip and how long his AARs have been going and take heart!

It’s taking me a while to work through your very comprehensive and thorough update and addendum, but I did just skip through to the last bit after reading @Wraith11B ’s comment. I’ve followed your excellent and entertaining story from the start and completely understand the demands you now face in RL. I also endorse what Wraith has said above, but will say more later. And hope you consider me as one of those ‘unmet friends’. :) Agent SkitalecS3 is always welcome in TT Land, of course. ;)

North looks bad but the rest seems to be normal. Even the numbers of Killed or MIA are not that bad. And that airborne action in Denmark is amazing. I just wonder how well you AIs will handle things.

Having only just reached 1941 I am already impressed at the effort this has taken and the quality of the work. I fully understand why you couldn't keep working on this while doing a thesis and working in an architects studio, I wish you good luck in both those endeavours.

Don't let the academics overwhelm you too much. We'll all be awaiting your next installment whenever it comes. Seriously, look at @El Pip and how long his AARs have been going and take heart!
Exactly this. I can confirm the readership here is ridiculously patient, 12 month gaps are nothing to these people. I think I've managed 18 months and still managed to resurrect Butterfly. I am sure your loyal band of advisors and agents will be waiting when you do find time to return.
DYAEiOu.gif

Dude, you took on one of the hardest and most in-depth missions in this game, the Soviet Union! You've handled it with great aplomb and I've enjoyed not only catching up but keeping up!
Having only just reached 1941 I am already impressed at the effort this has taken and the quality of the work.
I definitely didn't make things easy for myself, then again, I do like the challenge, and writing this AAR makes the game that much more immersive. Thank you for recognising the amount of work involved, and I'm glad you find it qualitative.

I fully understand why you couldn't keep working on this while doing a thesis and working in an architects studio, I wish you good luck in both those endeavours.
Thank you for those words. I should probably specify. I'm not getting a job (though I will do a month-long internship later in the year).
I'm still in my Masters, having failed three out of four design classes in the last 2 years, for a variety of reasons. (we call them 'Architects studios' in our faculty) That means that I still have 2 years to go, despite having completed most courses outside of the design studios and my Master's Thesis. I actively debated quitting architecture all-together at the end of last year. But by taking a step back over the summer, I simply succeeded in reminding myself of the fact I really like architecture, despite the often dis-functional faculty, the often overwhelming pressure, and the often lacklustre pedagogy that can be found in it. I'm thus getting back in the saddle, so to speak, by starting my master's thesis, with the cooperation of a professor I have a great deal of affinity with, and who has agreed to be my promotor, even before I have a precise subject. Since the preparations for the year started, I've gotten mostly positive signals from professors I've met with. I don't want to mess this up again.
At the same time, I'm continuing to play the cello as an accomplished amateur, continuing to take an active role in a string orchestra, and in my string quartet. On top of all that, I'm having to jump in frequently to take care of my 12 yo younger sister, who has just started secondary school, and is going through puberty.

I’ve followed your excellent and entertaining story from the start and completely understand the demands you now face in RL. I also endorse what Wraith has said above, but will say more later. And hope you consider me as one of those ‘unmet friends’. :) Agent SkitalecS3 is always welcome in TT Land, of course. ;)
You have definitely been there from the start. I do consider you a friend, @Bullfilter , and definitely hope to meet you some day, even though we live at opposite ends of the world and I don't currently have much of a travelling budget. SkitlalecS3 will continue to lend his insights to TT Land, it's entirely his pleasure.

I can confirm the readership here is ridiculously patient, 12 month gaps are nothing to these people. I think I've managed 18 months and still managed to resurrect Butterfly. I am sure your loyal band of advisors and agents will be waiting when you do find time to return.
DYAEiOu.gif
You are right, of course, and judging by the supporting messages above, I really shouldn't worry about having an audience when I start writing again. The Butterfly Effect does really show how loyal and patient the readership on this forum can be. That said, I should probably do my monthly check of TBE, to see if there's a new update I haven't read...;)

North looks bad but the rest seems to be normal. Even the numbers of Killed or MIA are not that bad. And that airborne action in Denmark is amazing. I just wonder how well you AIs will handle things.
The good news is that the Airborne action and operation Aegir are controlled entirely by yours truly, I'm glad you liked it. I was really happy to find that particular picture, it was just perfect. Casualties are all right.
That said, I entirely blame the AI for getting 2 Divisions overrun, and cutting it very close with the retreat from Brzesc Litewski and the Swislocz corridor, though it looks like it's going to work out and we won't loose any units there. The front in the north is getting close to the reserves, and if Kaunas or Riga are taken, or get close to being cut off, 2nd Army Group will get 2 entire rifle corps extra. Eventually, though, it all hinges on how well the AI manages to strike with our Armoured AG, and whether it will be able to cut off a substantial number of German troops from their supply lines.