• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to the growing corps of external advisers to the Secret Committee, @37th Armoured div , your contribution is highly valued.

As to your comment, I should really proofread more often... I will correct this gross error at once.;)
NO please don't
add a note or something but it would be hilarious

I was planning to reply to both comments in one go, but pressed 'post reply' a bit too quickly... so here it goes @nuclearslurpee

Now this is frankly surprising. Not the triple declaration of war, nor the ambassadorial fumbling. No, what's surprising is slapstick humor and levity in such a serious AAR. Who do you think you AAR, Bullfilter? :p
I'm definitely not Bullfilter (no offense to Colonel Bogafiltresi intended, of course). As I got the three messages, I just had this image in my head of the three ambassadors enunciating their respective country's DOW at exactly the same time. I simply had to share it. 'Tri' always was something of a funny one, so this really fit.

That said, I have this idea for a slapstick comedy AAR, quite a different format to this one. Though I would write it in advance and then post it at regular intervals, it would not be statistics-heavy, but something like a work of comedic theatre.

At the same time, I utterly respect the fact that even in the midst of slapstick and war declarations, the focal piece of this update is of course historical photographs and specifications of period-piece automobiles. Truly, our authAAR knows what is most important in life. :rolleyes:
I'm glad you appreciate my special attention for period automobiles.

NO please don't
add a note or something but it would be hilarious
Your wish is my command.

in other news how are the karelian russians(finns) doing?
The Finnish SSR is doing just fine... The population is very happy to be kept safe from foreign agents, rabblerousers, and enemies of the people, by the NKGBF's Mounted Police force. See also the Finnish Partisans war (see summary), after that beating, they have kept quite calm, and the NKGBF was accordingly expanded to be able to deal with these fascist troublemakers on it's own. They are under a mild 'occupation regime', with a local government made up of local Communist collaborators. We actually have quite a few Finnish scientists working for the war effort, and the NKGBF is largely made up of good commmunist Finns, with Soviet officers. The old Finnish government sits in Berlin, yelling about how they're not traitors to their people, and they should get back control over 'their' 'country'...

have you used logistical bombing and inverse pockets, I used these well with china, but I don't know too much about russia
the last time i did russia, i let the ai control the army, and they ALL died in estonia, all 1 million of them
As is noted in the GPW report, we have a single wing of Str doing some rather effective Log-bombing, a second wing will soon be deployed. I intend to expand on this capability. Also my army counts approximately 2.541.000 servicemen, including 64 HQs, but not including rear area duties, logistics, and officer training. (obviously)

sorry as I am a grammar/ spelling nazi, But
The Bulgarian Minister, without anything resembling a national auto-mobile industry, had the smallest car of the three, an Italian-built front wheel drive 1939 Lancia Aprilia 438 4-door sedan. This one is powered by a 1.5 liter 4-cylinder unit putting out a mere 49hp. Despite the significant power disadvantage, the Minister's driver had no trouble keeping up, as the Aprilia weighs in at 900 kg, and it's bodyk was the most streamlined of the three cars.
you misspelled body
Now, if one of those three European Axis members were to declare war on the Soviet Union before the others, it would probably be viewed in a favourable light in Berling, and thus enjoy all kinds of special Germanic attention.
you misspelled berlin
sorry
Australian grammar nazi out!
again sorry
EDIT
Let's just say that the Hungarian Minister Plenipotentiary misspoke in a diplomatic gaffe of monumental proportions, the whole event was too confusing for him. I did nothing wrong, it's all this fictional Jozsef Kristoffy's fault. Obviously.
just noticed this, Thanks for keeping it
double edit
thanks for the note, will fix if desired

Last edited:
by the way, would it be possible to send in a strike force by navy, capping ports and Berlin from the sea to steal their resources, and possibly kill them years faster? like send in the Finnish occupation army, or any spare men, just taking it will immediately fuck over the ai's priorities like i sent a single militia brigade into tokyo (somehow) and the japanese went apeshit

how much on west how much on east?
Leningrad HQ (Finland and Arctic front): 116.000
German front: 1.439.000
Odessa HQ (Hungarian front & Romanian border): 263.000
Stalingrad HQ (Turkish border & Eastern Black Sea Coast): 126.000
Far Eastern HQ (Japanese & Manchurian border): 297.000
Mongolia: 65.000
Sinkiang: 91.000
Tannu Tuuva: 25.000
Not counting HQs this time...

also whats the point of a hq?
In the game, it gives you bonuses, Corps level leaders give you increased reinforcement odds, Army HQ gives you an organisation bonus, Army Group HQ gives you a supply consumption bonus, and Theatre HQ gives you a stacking penalty bonus.

soory as I am a grammar/ spelling nazi, But
I guess even grammar nazi's make typo's... I'll rectify these grievous errors at once.

just noticed this, Thanks for keeping it
My pleasure, It just makes the whole thing that little bit sillier.

by the way, would it be possible to send in a strike force by navy, capping ports and Berlin from the sea to steal their resources, and possibly kill them years faster?
We have only 3 transports (1 more in production), the öresund is closed, and we can't spare enough forces for a full on second front right now, but other than that, sure. That will probably be something for 1943... I actually discussed an invasion through Denmark in an earlier comment.

how about Romania, how are they politically?
Romania is still neutral. I didn't take Bessarabia, so they don't actively want to fight the SU, but they don't like us either. Hungary did take Transylvania by event, so that helps to keep them away from the Axis. They don't seem ready to join the allies, with all Axis & Comintern neighbours, but they also don't particularly want to join any other faction for various reasons. I already reassigned a corps from the Romanian border to to the Hungarian front, leaving only a single corps in place.
Turkey could go either way, drifting back and forth in between Axis and Comintern. We're currently influencing Sweden in an effort to secure scandinavia without having to do a full scale invasion of Norway, and also to be able to procure some of their impressive Destroyers, but the British are pulling them the other way, I hope the stop soon...

can you get production licsences now, if so, why not upgrade to landing craft
there faster and stonger
I definitely thought of landing craft. No production licenses can be procured (our relations with the Allies aren't much good, there's not even any lend-lease going to the SU). The cost of developing landing craft is high in our current situation. We do have paratroopers and transports, as you know from the 'Operation 'Thor' ' update.

If you want more detail on any of this, it has been discussed before in this AAR. You can navigate it using the summary on page 1 or the threadmarks, or both.

If you have more questions, it would be easier for me if you grouped them in a single comment. I'm glad to answer any questions you have.

Last edited:
So far, the casualty numbers look quite promising. The results of the logistical bombing missions especially - those supplies and fuel are of vital importance to the Germans. Hungarians, Bulgarians, Italians... Italians are preoccupied with the North African adventure, I should think. In any case, both them and the Bulgarians need to move forces before they can start shooting, so that gives us some time. Hungarians, like the rest of this terrifying trio, are likely to have mostly second-rate troops available. Our troops shouldn't fare too badly against them. In fact, come to think of it, I doubt they have much in the way of AA in their units, our Assault Aviation Corps could wreak havoc on them... If we can get a couple more in the fight, that is.

Bulgaria could also make a tempting target for an amphibious operation, with short supply lines through the Black Sea, relatively difficult terrain that would make holding a bridgehead relatively easy, and with the Bulgarians likely to move most of their troops to the main front.

With regards to training garrison units to replace the rifle corps currently entrenched in urban areas, I support the idea. At least for the cities still further out from the front. A rifle corps can be rotated in if it becomes apparent that city will end up on the front line in the near future, and garrison units are better than nothing in the case of a surprise breakthrough, yet wouldn't tie down a full rifle corps that could be much better used on the front. Training at least a few garrison corps would be useful for the future, too; we intend to come out of this war holding territory, and tying down fully combat-capable rifle corps on occupation duty is a waste of valuable military resources. If needed, we can rotate the enlisted personnel in those units, replacing Soviet personnel with those recruited from the local populace, while keeping the trained and experienced officer and NCO cadre.

he results of the logistical bombing missions especially - those supplies and fuel are of vital importance to the Germans. Hungarians, Bulgarians, Italians...
Logistical bombing is working better than expected, and with two regiments of TB-3s we'll do almost twice the damage. That will surely piss off the Germans, which is always nice. Maloryta went from province filled with nice roads and railways, to one where one has to use horse-drawn carriages to carry supplies along the remains of what was once a nice little transport network. All in about 10 days, it beautiful...

Italians are preoccupied with the North African adventure, I should think. In any case, both them and the Bulgarians need to move forces before they can start shooting, so that gives us some time. Hungarians, like the rest of this terrifying trio, are likely to have mostly second-rate troops available. Our troops shouldn't fare too badly against them. In fact, come to think of it, I doubt they have much in the way of AA in their units, our Assault Aviation Corps could wreak havoc on them... If we can get a couple more in the fight, that is.
I don't expect much from the Italians, they're bogged down in N Africa and the Med, and they haven't even dealt with the British Division in Athens.
The Hungarians are another matter, as you suggested, they don't seem to have the best equipment, but they do have a ton of AA, old AA, but still. In any case, priority goes to the toughest battles, and with the number of battles going on, the VVS can only just about manage. If there is a bit of a quiet spell, it's an opportunity to rebuild org and strength, not to go out and bomb some more. That said, I've had some decent success with bombing Hungarians, it does seem to work better than bombing, going by casualty numbers, than bombing Germans. They also have an Air Force, made mostly of Italian-built bi-planes.

Bulgaria could also make a tempting target for an amphibious operation, with short supply lines through the Black Sea, relatively difficult terrain that would make holding a bridgehead relatively easy, and with the Bulgarians likely to move most of their troops to the main front.
I'm not sure whether the Bulgarians are actually going to do anything, as the war is pretty far from their doorstep. Unless, of course, we land troops in Bulgaria. In any case, the first order of business in the context of naval operations is to give our fleets the freedom to move, so the follow-up to 'Thor' has to happen first, so we can bunch together our transports and possibly do something on a larger scale, be it in the Baltic, the Black Sea, or even the Mediterranean. For an operation in Bulgaria, we could use the Mountaineers who are currently on the Turkish border.

With regards to training garrison units to replace the rifle corps currently entrenched in urban areas, I support the idea. At least for the cities still further out from the front. A rifle corps can be rotated in if it becomes apparent that city will end up on the front line in the near future, and garrison units are better than nothing in the case of a surprise breakthrough, yet wouldn't tie down a full rifle corps that could be much better used on the front. Training at least a few garrison corps would be useful for the future, too; we intend to come out of this war holding territory, and tying down fully combat-capable rifle corps on occupation duty is a waste of valuable military resources. If needed, we can rotate the enlisted personnel in those units, replacing Soviet personnel with those recruited from the local populace, while keeping the trained and experienced officer and NCO cadre.
Yes to all those reasons, Garrisons can be built extremely quickly, build-time is 45 days. They are excellent on the defensive, and they need only 30% as many officers (though if you count HQ's it's more than that.). The problem is that there's just no space in the production queue right now. A lot of stuff will be delivered in July, so we should be able to make some soon. Also, upgrade costs remain massive, but the big ticket items like Inf Small arms are most of the way there, so there should be a pretty rapid drop in the coming month. Priority goes, off course to reinforcements and supplies for the units already in the field. And that's becoming pretty expensive pretty quick. Less than half of IC is going into production, and we're still only upgrading 70% of units that can be upgraded right now... Priority goes to the German front, of course. Even if we train too many Garrison units, we can always upgrade the more experienced ones at a later date and make them into regulars. It's win-win really.

I'm curious to see how well the Tank army will do it's job, once it gets to the front. The situation is turning bad, as the Germans keep pushing, using tanks and numerical superiority to their advantage, while our units are getting disorganised etc. We're winning strategically, but in the field, right now, the Germans are taking ground. The tide will have to be turned.

Now this is frankly surprising. Not the triple declaration of war, nor the ambassadorial fumbling. No, what's surprising is slapstick humor and levity in such a serious AAR. Who do you think you AAR, Bullfilter? :p
When only the best will do - and isn’t that all the time? :D
I'm definitely not Bullfilter (no offense to Colonel Bogafiltresi intended, of course).
Alas, we all have our crosses to bear. :p And neither the good Colonel or I take the slightest offence. ;)

Game wise, my main concern, as it has been for some time, is that Japan decides to hop on the bandwagon. That would be serious.

These other Axis stooges - even Italy - have simply saved Stalin the bother of declaring war on them later to conquer - er, liberate - them. I would have said it gives him the moral high ground, but he wouldn’t recognise what that was if it rose up, turned into an ostrich and pecked him on the arse! o_O:D

Last edited:
When only the best will do - and isn’t that all the time? :D
I would put a word in for mediocrity and procrastination, but I couldn't be bothered.

Game wise, my main concern, as it has been for some time, is that Japan decides to hop on the bandwagon. That would be serious.
Well, we have some troops in place, enough imo to hold the line, but it would still be a major annoyance, as well as an additional drain on supplies and reinforcements.

These other Axis stooges - even Italy - have simply saved Stalin the bother of declaring war on them later to conquer - er, liberate - them. I would have said it gives him the moral high ground, but he wouldn’t recognise what that was if it rose up, turned into an ostrich and pecked him on the arse! o_O:D
We're on a quest to liberate the proletariat from fascist and imperialist oppression. How dare you question our great leader's moral fibre? People have been executed, or worse, sent to the gulag, for less...

We're on a quest to liberate the proletariat from fascist and imperialist oppression. How dare you question our great leader's moral fibre? People have been executed, or worse, sent to the gulag, for less...
Tee-hee, I’m safe ex-universe, mercy be! Any moral fibre Uncle Joe sought to display would be purely synthetic! :D

In-universe, however, the Great Man is infallible, indispensable and surely leading the world into proletarian paradise! Animal Farm style. o_O Oops, it happened again! :oops:;)

8th of July 1942, 'Odin', 10-day report #201
The 8th of July 1942, Moscow, 5,5°C, 10 am Moscow Time,

Report on the state of the Soviet Union for the ten-day period between the 29th of June and the 8th of July 1942,

by 'Odin'

Army:
3 new Artillery Regiments, 138 AP, 141 AP, and 142 AP, have been deployed, to 181 SD, 27 SD, and 183 SD respectively.
Army numbers (Brigades/Personnel) Reserves included (these numbers don't include regiments being upgraded):
Front line troops: 703 / 2.109.000
Support troops: 368 / 368.000
Total fighting troops: 1.071 / 2.477.000
Headquarters: 64 / 64.000
Total Army Personnel: 1.135 / 2.541.000
Officers: 106.387 + / 112.950 needed / 194 KIA / 94,189 %
Active Leaders: 285 / 213 more available
Artillery production for new units was significantly reduced, and no new orders were placed, as we continue to address the backlog of equipment to be replaced or upgraded in existing units.
Air Force:
No changes to the VVS, nor to the Navy Air Fleet, for the last 10 days.​

Navy:
No changes to the Navy for the last 10 days.​

Politics / International:
Italy, Hungary, and Bulgaria have declared war on the Soviet Union.
Battle of Britain
The Air War intensified, with a large number of battles and bombings, this is possibly due to an ever increasing number of British bombers operating from the British Isles. This may explain why the Luftwaffe still can't spare any interceptor fighters for their Eastern Front:
8 aerial battles were fought over Portsmouth, with no bombers getting through. In Dover, the Luftwaffe had more luck, flying 2 successful port strikes, before being intercepted by the RAF.
In Germany, Leipzig was bombed 4 times, with German fighters intercepting the bombers on the way there, and on the way back, over Dortmund.
Other aerial fights happened over Northern France, with 6 battles over Lannion, 100km east of Brest, 2 battles over Cherbourg, and a single battle over Paris.
German submarines seem to have gone out into the Atlantic again, sinking 23 British convoys. British submarines, and surface units, sunk a total of 56 Axis convoys. Somehow, German trade seems to be alive and kicking. (though not for much long
Athens - Greece

No changes here.
North Africa Front:
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 1,9 / 87,3
Italy (Surrender Progress / NU): 0,00 / 79,2

Still no movement on the ground.
The Royal Navy parked a Carrier just off-shore, bombing Bardia an impressive 97 times with CAGs. (We all know how well CAGs are at Ground Attack...). The fleet in question also managed to sink a convoy bound for Tobruch.
The RN Coastal Naval Command executed a total of 6 unopposed Port Strikes on Tunis Harbour.
The RAF had less luck, with their Halifaxes being intercepted and decimated twice over Firenze, without managing to hit any of the target area.

No naval encounters.
South East Asia Front
United States of America (Surrender Progress / NU): 8,5 / 85,8
United Kingdom (Surrender Progress / NU): 1,9 / 87,3
Japan (Surrender Progress / NU): 0,00 / 70,1
Netherlands, France, Philippines (Government in Exile)
DEIF42-07-08-min.jpeg

Following up their landing in Oosthaven, Japanese forces spread out. Some moved towards Palembang, the current Dutch capital, and the site of some very impressive oil refineries. Others managed to cross the Sunda Strait, and made their way to Batavia, capturing the city, with it's mid-sized port, and equally mid-sized Air Base. Still with no way to get supplies, the Dutch forces simply fled in front of the Japanese advance, without firing a shot.
The convoy war has, once more, reached a very high intensity, with 138 Allied convoys sunk, for a mere 30 Axis convoy losses.
The naval news gets worse. It seems that the RAN was doing most of the Allied convoy raiding with their main fleet. It was intercepted by several significantly more powerful IJN fleets during their time in the South China See. Most of their fleet was sunk:

Two Heavy Cruisers HMAS Australia, and HMAS Canberra were sunk by CAGs from Kaga (CV), and Akagi (CV), respectively. In addition they lost the 3rd, 4th, and 9th Destroyer Flotillas to Sendai (CL), Fuso (BB), and Kaga (CV).
HMS Rodney did manage to sink 15. Kuchikukantai (DD) in a separate engagement.

HMASAus&Can-min.jpg

Top: HMAS Australia firing it's AA guns (presumably at Japanese aeroplanes) Bottom: HMAS Canberra, damaged and capsizing, before she sank to the bottom.
HMAS Australia and HMAS Canberra were built in Britain as variants of the Kent-Class Heavy Cruiser design of the Royal Navy. Both ships were completed and commissioned in 1928. HMAS Australia was refitted and modernised in 1938-1939, HMAS Canberra wasn't, though some modifications were made during the war. The main armament consists of 4 twin 8 inch turrets, and secondary armament of 4 twin 4 inch weapons. Thanks to their 4-turbine 80.000 shaft horsepower Engines, and their relatively light armour, they could reach a top speed of 31 knots. Sadly aeroplanes fly quite a lot faster than that, and they were unable to escape the air-launched torpedos being thrown at them by the experienced Japanese CAGs.
Pacific Front
All quiet here, there continues to be no substantial US involvement in the war save for massive amounts of lend-lease to the UK.
7 Axis convoys were sunk by the USN to the south of Cuba, and another 15 off the Pacific coast of Mexico.

Industry:
Working Industrial Capacity / available capacity: 238 (-2) / 434 (-4) The Germans have taken Bialystok, and it's 2 industrial complexes.
4 Airbase expansions have been completed, in Demjansk (Level 10), Minsk (Level 7), Helsinki (Level 6), and Batumi (Level 4).
Two Air Bases have started new expansions: Bornholm (Level 2), and Smolensk (Level 10).
The Naval Bases in Bornholm and Mythiléné are also being expanded (to Level 2).

IC Usage: ( Allocated IC / Need )
Upgrades: 124,30 / 154,35 - Despite the arrival of more new equipment designs, upgrade costs have gone down slightly.
Reinforcement: 32,00 / 32,02 + Ever more reinforcements need to be produced to replace lost equipment at the front.
Supplies: 59,00 / 60,69 + Supply stockpiles were dwindling, thus supply production was increased
Production: 192,67 / 200,98 - Production of a CAG wing was put on hold to allow more urgent spending on Upgrades, Reinforcements, and Supplies.
Consumer Goods: 26,04 / 26,04
Stockpiles:
Energy: Maximum tonnes +
Metal: 99.450 tonnes -
Rares: 48.630 tonnes -
Crude: Maximum barrels +
Supplies: 32.851 tonnes +
Fuel: 98.784 barrels -
Money: 1.347 +
Intelligence:
Spy numbers, spies in (active / added / lost / caught by us)
France (Supporting our Party / Counterespionage): 5 / 0 / 0 / 0
{ Germany (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }
{ Japan (/): 0 / 0 / 0 / 1 }
{ UK (/) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 }​
Other: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
Total: 5 / 0 / 0 / 1
Reserves: 5
Spy training leadership expenditure: 0,17 (a new spy every 40 days)
Another Japanese Spy was caught red-handed in the Soviet Union.
Spy training expenditure was decreased to maintain other LS spending despite the loss of Bialystok.
Research:
Supply Organisation (Level 4) has been improved across the board. The new procedures are already helping with the gargantuan task of keeping our German front, including the VVS, supplied with rations, medical equipment, ammunition, and more.
Now, attention will be given to Civil Defence (Level 4), working out how equipment and infrastructure could be repaired more quickly after they suffer battle damage.
Our combat Engineers will now be better equipped to deal with fortifications of any kind, with significantly improved Assault Weapons (Level 3).
The brand new 85 hp GAZ-203 Light Tank Engine (Level 5) will make our lorries, Light Tanks, and Armoured Cars, a bit faster, giving us an edge in manoeuvre warfare.
Now, our engineers are looking to improve the Reliability of our Medium Tanks (Level 4).

Leadership distribution:
Research: 19,50 (-1)
Espionage: 0,17 (-0.06)
Diplomacy: 2,09 (-0.10)
Officers: 11,5 (+1) (69 Officers/day) Another increase in Officer training has come at the cost of some Research, to make sure we keep improving our officer ratios despite losses in the field.
Total: 33,26 (-0,16) Loss of Bialystok.

Statistics:
National Unity: 83,241 =
Neutrality: 0,00 =
Dissent: 0,00 =
Manpower:
Available: 2.281.000 (-5.000) We're starting to lose manpower, though at this rate, it will take over 126 years of war to completely deplete our pool of recruits.
Men To reinforce(need): 1.690
Men To mobilise(need): See above
Monthly gain: 71.000 Men (1 fully mobilised Infx3, Art, AT Division every 4,9 days)​
Party Popularity:
- Communist Party: 58 =
- Trotskyite: 12 (+1)
- Bukharinite: 5 (+3)

- Social-Revolutionary: 4 (+1)
- Trudoviks: 3 (-4)
- Kadets: 2 (-1)
- Octobrists: 5 (+4)

- Tsarists: 8 (+3)
- NTS: 1 (-4)
- POA: 2 (-3)
It seems German spies are out of business, while Japanese agents continue to spread their royalist ideology. Popularity of capitalist factions has moved around, but there was no net loss. As a whole Communism has won out as a broad movement, though the extra support is sadly not for the ruling party, wannabe communism is still slightly better than Capitalism, Imperialism, or Fascism.
No changes in Party Organisation
This Information is accurate on the morning of the 8th of July 1942, I hope it serves you well in fine-tuning your possible suggestions.

'Odin​

Last edited:
Very sad to hear about the heavy losses by the Royal Australian Navy, especially both HMAS Australia and Canberra. :(

That is a big upgrade bill indeed - those tech advances do have a significant industrial cost, but are crucial. You gotta. ;)

Supply costs are getting high too - hopefully the improved supply org will help a bit. I really need to visit supply tech again in my game, as the costs of an offensive with quite a bit (in relative terms) of armour and air support are quite substantial.

The convoy war has, once more, reached a very high intensity, with 138 Allied convoys sunk, for a mere 30 Axis convoy losses.
The naval news gets worse. It seems that the RAN was doing most of the Allied convoy raiding with their main fleet. It was intercepted by several significantly more powerful IJN fleets during their time in the South China See. Most of their fleet was sunk:

Two Heavy Cruisers HMAS Australia, and HMAS Canberra were sunk by CAGs from Kaga (CV), and Akagi (CV), respectively. In addition they lost the 3rd, 4th, and 9th Destroyer Flotillas to Sendai (CL), Fuso (BB), and Kaga (CV).
HMS Rodney did manage to sink 15. Kuchikukantai (DD) in a separate engagement.

Well, this is just great. If this keeps up, the Japanese will lose their naval dominance in the Pacific sometime in 1947, as the USA follows a strategy of building and losing six BBs at a time to sink one Japanese vessel, which still succeeds by sheer dint of the massive USA IC.

I can see the exploits of this Far East partisan group will need to be followed. Given the factions and representatives of interested parties there, I will report “just the facts, ma’am” and leave the interpretation in the hands of eager reporters, propagandists, agit-prop exponents and other fanfic enthusiasts! :D:cool: