• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Game Version: 3.2.1
Game Checksum: AZCE
Mod Stage: Open Alpha
Mod Version: Open Alpha 6.0
Installation Method: Got it from here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-tianxia-silk-road-expansion.816899/
Additional Mods: None selected.
Brief Summary of Issue: I can't get my CK II to recognize the mod is active. I have it zipped in my mod folder with the .mod file out like all of my other mods, but it just won't show up once I boot the game up. I've tried redownloading, and verifying the game cache, and I've got all the functional DLC save for the portraits, so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

Game Checksum: AZCE
Mod Stage: Open Alpha
Mod Version: Open Alpha 6.0
Installation Method: Got it from here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-tianxia-silk-road-expansion.816899/
Additional Mods: None selected.
Brief Summary of Issue: I can't get my CK II to recognize the mod is active. I have it zipped in my mod folder with the .mod file out like all of my other mods, but it just won't show up once I boot the game up. I've tried redownloading, and verifying the game cache, and I've got all the functional DLC save for the portraits, so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

Unzip the entire mod; the .mod file isn't looking for a .zip file.

Game Checksum: YYRS
Mod Stage: Alpha
Mod Version: 6.0.0
Additional Mods: Tianxia Content Packs minus Chinese & Tibetan Portraits per the readme
Brief Summary of Issue:

4 separate issues, 3 minor, 1 seemingly large but possibly WAD and I just don't understand the background mechanics. If it is WAD, please let me know what is going on because it is crippling me.

1066 High Middle Ages start as Shugo Taira Atsumoto of Hitachi, Japan. Presently year 1106, Kokushi Taira Mochitada, Kokushi of Fusa and Daimyo of Nankai. Religion is Shinto, government is Confucian Bureaucracy. Pictures attached for simplicity.

Issue one, missing localization in intrigue tab for decision to convert from Shinto to Buddhist.
localization.png

Issue two, spelling and grammar for Ghost Gatherers society. Keeping it in line with the original, I would change it to:
"Most confounding, the Ghost Gatherers seek to return the world to a primordial state. They seek to populate the land with wayfarer ghosts, preparing the land for a second rebirth into the spiritual plane. Given the expendability of this current realm, they think of nothing but how to ensure each man, woman and child dies a tortured death; the lower social rank the better." I'm nitpicking about the semicolon at the end, but the first line needs adjusting.
societies.png

Issue three, missing face for portrait on the wife of one of my vassals.
portrait.png

Fourth and largest issue. I can rarely assign people to councilor positions except for the Spiritual, where options are still pretty limited. I seem to be able to move existing councilors to different positions, but I often can not appoint new ones, and in the rare instance where I can, I only have one maybe two options. If I hire people through the intrigue tab they are not available for the council either. I had this issue right from game start as a count and still do now as a duke/viceroy.

The vassal of mine in the above image previously held the steward position below, but after a short bout of imprisonment when I was trying to get him to revolt so I could revoke his title, I can't reappoint him to the position nor any other character in my duchy. I've had this problem in vanilla, but only as a baron level patrician in a merchant republic, which I'm certain was just because of a lack of people in my court to choose from. This is not the case here. I have no shortage of bodies, they just aren't available for whatever reason. I'm speculating, but I suspect it has something to do with the Confucian Bureaucracy government type.
council.png

Additional Mods: Tianxia Content Packs minus Chinese & Tibetan Portraits per the readme
Brief Summary of Issue:

4 separate issues, 3 minor, 1 seemingly large but possibly WAD and I just don't understand the background mechanics. If it is WAD, please let me know what is going on because it is crippling me.

1066 High Middle Ages start as Shugo Taira Atsumoto of Hitachi, Japan. Presently year 1106, Kokushi Taira Mochitada, Kokushi of Fusa and Daimyo of Nankai. Religion is Shinto, government is Confucian Bureaucracy. Pictures attached for simplicity.

Issue one, missing localization in intrigue tab for decision to convert from Shinto to Buddhist.
View attachment 506388

Issue two, spelling and grammar for Ghost Gatherers society. Keeping it in line with the original, I would change it to:
"Most confounding, the Ghost Gatherers seek to return the world to a primordial state. They seek to populate the land with wayfarer ghosts, preparing the land for a second rebirth into the spiritual plane. Given the expendability of this current realm, they think of nothing but how to ensure each man, woman and child dies a tortured death; the lower social rank the better." I'm nitpicking about the semicolon at the end, but the first line needs adjusting.
View attachment 506392

Issue three, missing face for portrait on the wife of one of my vassals.
View attachment 506393

Fourth and largest issue. I can rarely assign people to councilor positions except for the Spiritual, where options are still pretty limited. I seem to be able to move existing councilors to different positions, but I often can not appoint new ones, and in the rare instance where I can, I only have one maybe two options. If I hire people through the intrigue tab they are not available for the council either. I had this issue right from game start as a count and still do now as a duke/viceroy.

The vassal of mine in the above image previously held the steward position below, but after a short bout of imprisonment when I was trying to get him to revolt so I could revoke his title, I can't reappoint him to the position nor any other character in my duchy. I've had this problem in vanilla, but only as a baron level patrician in a merchant republic, which I'm certain was just because of a lack of people in my court to choose from. This is not the case here. I have no shortage of bodies, they just aren't available for whatever reason. I'm speculating, but I suspect it has something to do with the Confucian Bureaucracy government type.
View attachment 506396

- shinto_become_buddhist (and its _desc) and the Buddhist counterpart should have proper English localization in 6.0.1.

- Semicolons are unfortunately not usable in localization (at least not as far as I'm aware) since they are what is used as separators in the localization file and everything after it thus wouldn't be part of the English localization. As for general localization tweaks, we're aware that there is a bunch of localization that needs proofreading/polishing, but since we until recently had to work on stuff that was rather more pressing (e.g. setting up the map, the de jures, and the Stamford Bridge start) we've not had the time to check and fix stuff. I'm unsure if we'll have time to do it for 6.0.1, though.

- Do you have the Turkish Portrait DLC active? If not, the Ainu Portrait Pack (which I suspect this character is using, given her culture and religion) will be broken, and you should either activate the required DLC or deactivate the Ainu portraits so that a proper fallback is used. If the issue persists with the DLC active, please let me know.

- Confucian Bureaucracy requires all councillors (and regents) to have 10+ Learning, so that's most likely where your problem is. If it isn't, check if you've got some opinion towards them along the lines of "Resigned from the council" (I don't remember what it is called in the game). If neither of those is the case, please let me know.

- shinto_become_buddhist (and its _desc) and the Buddhist counterpart should have proper English localization in 6.0.1.
Excellent. No rush, it is still pretty obvious even without localization what the decision is supposed to do.

- Semicolons are unfortunately not usable in localization (at least not as far as I'm aware) since they are what is used as separators in the localization file and everything after it thus wouldn't be part of the English localization. As for general localization tweaks, we're aware that there is a bunch of localization that needs proofreading/polishing, but since we until recently had to work on stuff that was rather more pressing (e.g. setting up the map, the de jures, and the Stamford Bridge start) we've not had the time to check and fix stuff. I'm unsure if we'll have time to do it for 6.0.1, though.
I totally forgot the csv files used semicolons as separators so of course they don't work. It would just say "the lower the social status the better" if you played the game in French. And I understand proofreading isn't a priority. Paradox isn't exactly on top of it 100% themselves lol

- Confucian Bureaucracy requires all councillors (and regents) to have 10+ Learning, so that's most likely where your problem is. If it isn't, check if you've got some opinion towards them along the lines of "Resigned from the council" (I don't remember what it is called in the game). If neither of those is the case, please let me know.
That's probably what it is. I can't actually check anymore because it is an ironman save (which in hindsight is probably a mistake for testing a fresh mod) and my government has somehow become Japanese Feudal and I no longer have issues appointing councilors, of any learning level. Though I'm not sure how I switched governments or why I was a Confucian Bureaucracy to begin with. I know that originally I was vassal to the king of Japan who in turn was vassal to the emperor of Japan, and now the king and emperor are one and the same. I think my government changed after I switched branches of the family after a swath of unfortunate "accidents" and crib-smotherings, changing my primary title to a different duchy.

Though I can't find anything in game that actually states that Confucian Bureaucracy rulers require Learning 10 councilors. I'm guessing that is because the government type is unplayable in vanilla and exclusive to the Western Protectorate, so the game would simply generate the needed characters to fill out the Protector Generals council. IMO, this either needs to be changed to function the same as other government types, or at the very least a tooltip added to the mouse-over for the government icon in the character view. It can get pretty difficult to hold the realm together when I can not appoint a marshal, steward, etc. because none of my courtiers know enough about the Shinto religion.

- Do you have the Turkish Portrait DLC active? If not, the Ainu Portrait Pack (which I suspect this character is using, given her culture and religion) will be broken, and you should either activate the required DLC or deactivate the Ainu portraits so that a proper fallback is used. If the issue persists with the DLC active, please let me know.
I own all the portrait DLC. I double checked in the launcher and Turkish Portraits are definitely active, as is the Ainu portraits mod. I verified game files before I installed Tianxia, so everything should be where its supposed to be. This is the only error I've noticed in portraits so far. It seems to only apply to women of Ainu ethnicity, but not all of them. Here's a picture of a random woman I found in the character finder.
ainu.png
Her grandmother is Ainu and her portrait displays correctly. Her father is ethnically Ainu but culturally Japanese. This woman is culturally Japanese but I'm guessing is ethnically Ainu and has an invisible face.

Dug through the files myself. I'm not super well versed in the whole modding thing, but I think I found it. From portraits_ainu.gfx
# Ainu female oldage
portraitType = {
name = "PORTRAIT_ainugfx_female2"
effectFile = "gfx/FX/portrait.lua"
layer = { # GFX_TYPE:[d|p]INDEX:COLOR_LINK:DONT_REFRESH_IF_VALID:CULTURE_INDEX
"GFX_character_background:p0"
"GFX_ainu_female_clothes_behind:p3:c0"
"GFX_ainu_female_headgear_behind:p5:c1"
"GFX_frankish_female_undermain_behind:p33"
"GFX_frankish_female_undermain_hair_behind:p33:h"
"GFX_frankish_female_overlayer_behind:p32"
"GFX_character_special_crowns_behind:p18"
"GFX_ainu_female_hair_behind_oldage:p1:h:y"
"GFX_frankish_female_undermain_behind:p33"
"GFX_frankish_female_undermain_hair_behind:p33:h"
"GFX_frankish_female_overlayer_behind:p32"
"GFX_character_special_crowns_behind:p18"
"GFX_turkish_female_ear_oldage:d7"
"GFX_character_freckles:p20"
"GFX_character_turkish_female_pale:p22"
"GFX_character_scars:p7:y"
"GFX_character_scars_mid:p25"
"GFX_character_scars_high:p26"
"GFX_character_black_eye:p23"
"GFX_character_reddots:p8"
"GFX_character_boils:p9"
"GFX_character_tattoos:p28"
"GFX_character_warpaint:p29"
"GFX_character_harelip_western:p24"
"GFX_character_blinded_eyes:p10"
"GFX_character_possessed:p30"
"GFX_character_eyepatch:p13:y:eek:32x63"
"GFX_ainu_female_clothes:p3:c2"
"GFX_ainu_female_headgear_mid:p5:c3"
"GFX_ainu_female_hair_oldage:p1:h:y"
":p5:c7"
"GFX_character_mask:p12:y:eek:40x45"
"GFX_empty:p3:c4"
"GFX_frankish_female_undermain_hair:p33:h"
"GFX_frankish_female_undermain:p33"
"GFX_ainu_female_headgear:p5:c5"
"GFX_frankish_female_overlayer:p32"
"GFX_character_special_crowns:p19"
"GFX_character_special_helmets:p34"
"GFX_character_special_masks:p35"
"GFX_character_special_scepters:p36"
"GFX_character_blood_splatter:p27"
"GFX_character_imprisoned:p6"
"GFX_lover_overlay:p37"
"GFX_player_overlay:p11"
}
Old-age Ainu women are missing head parts other than the ears.
EDIT: lol the forum turned all the colon related stuff to emoticons. It looks correct in the actual file of course.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Fixed it.
fix.png
File attached if you want it. Just the portraits_ainu.gfx file in the proper folders. Merge with "Tianxia Ainu Portraits" folder.

Attachments

• Tianxia Ainu Portraits.7z
    2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
@morlund: Thanks for the Ainu fix.

As for Confucian Bureaucracy's Learning requirement, that's not a vanilla thing (since the governments aren't actually the same ones; the tag for the one you were playing as is actually chinese_vassal_government). We probably should consider adding it to the description somewhere-

As for you flipping to Japanese Feudal, my suspicion would be that the holder of k_chrysanthemum_throne (a.k.a. the Shinto rel head title) no longer is a liege of yours. The current implementation doesn't really make it clear when and why the switch happens, though, so I can understand the confusion.

Brief Summary of Issue: c_inaba is "broken" for lack of a better term.

Pictures:
inaba1.png
Highlighted route to better show path.
inaba2.png

Pathing to and from the county of Inaba is technically fine, but units can not be graphically present in the province, instead teleporting a ways south, then way off the map directly north. It works fine gameplay-wise, but looks terrible. I would hate to be the owner of the county and have to deal with that constantly.

Other things:
I have been playing since 1066 and it is now 1343 and experienced only a single CTD in the early 1200s. No cause that I could think of other than information overload and seems to be a one-off incident. Reloaded the game, slowed gamespeed a peg to be safe, and no crashes since. The game hangs for a bit when autosaving but I figure that's to be expected with how much extra information the mod adds to the game.

Long event chains often fail to resolve:
  • "Introduce Heir to the Realm" for example never completes. I'll choose the decision when my kid turns 12, he'll spill a drink on the bishops shoes or whatever, then nothing else happens until the kid turns 16.
  • "Hold a Hanami" fails to complete as well, getting one or two event cards in before stopping, with the exception of the first time I tried the decision where it played out fully.
  • I'm not sure if there should be event pop-ups if you are invited to attend someone else's Hanami. If there are, I'm not getting them. I accept the invitation and nothing else happens.
  • The immortality event chain popped for one of my rulers and I chose to summon the council. No other events related to it showed up at all, with my character going on to live for another 15 or so years. That event chain is so random though that I can't say if it might be a bug or just bad luck.
Missing localization for ranks in the Ghost Gatherers society. Plays fine.

My government is currently Confucian Bureaucracy. Picture:
anarchy.png
I don't think it should say Anarchy. Issue also present with Agnatic or Agnatic-Cognatic succession if that matters. I seem to recall it displaying correctly when I am Japanese Feudal.

@morlund:

- I missed it in your previous bug report, but your checksum is incorrect (and off by enough that it is unlikely to be due to resigning). You might want to download the mod again, just to be sure that nothing is messed up.

- Inaba has been fixed.

- Good to hear that there aren't many CTDs. However, if you get one in the future we'd like a (non-Ironman; Ironman saves limit what we can check considerably) save with a rough estimate of when the crash happened and anything you might have done shortly before it even if you can't reproduce the issue on your own, in case the issue is something we can fix.

- Slower saves are an unfortunate side-effect of having a larger map and thus more characters/provinces/etc. to write to the save. I'll see if there's something that can be done to optimize things further, but it is hard to think of anything right away that's possible to do.

- I'll see what might have broken in "Introduce Heir to the Realm", but I don't think we've made any changes there that should break things.

- Do you remember the decisions you've made during the Hanami (e.g. day/night)? It is a rather big event chain, so any information that makes it possible to narrow down what might be wrong would be helpful.

- Not getting events during someone else's Hanami is rather odd, though it might be theoretically possible depending on which events happen and what the AI chooses to do. I'll look into it, as it might be related to the previous issue.

- I'll check the Immortality event chain, but I don't think we've changed anything that should break it.

- The Ghost Gatherers localization has been fixed.

- "Anarchy" is the fallback government flavour, and since we've not really added a lot of government flavour or updated vanilla's flavour's triggers it is quite possible that someone might not be eligible for anything else. Since it has no effect on gameplay, it might not get fixed as quickly as other issues.

- I missed it in your previous bug report, but your checksum is incorrect (and off by enough that it is unlikely to be due to resigning). You might want to download the mod again, just to be sure that nothing is messed up.
What should be the expected checksum? I have all of the DLCs enabled and no mods enabled other than Tianxia and the Tianxia Content Packs minus the Chinese & Tibetan portraits because the readme said it doesn't work with JD. EDIT: Plus my fixed verison of the Ainu portraits if that affects the checksum.

- Do you remember the decisions you've made during the Hanami (e.g. day/night)? It is a rather big event chain, so any information that makes it possible to narrow down what might be wrong would be helpful.
The first time I took the decision I went daytime. I don't remember what choices specifically I made but I always went for the most expensive option because I was rolling in cash with nowhere else to spend it. Event chain finished that first time.

The second time, I chose night. IIRC the first choice I got was how much to spend on food. Again went most expensive. No other events popped after.
Third time, I chose night again. Didn't even get the first pop-up.
Thinking night-time hanami was bugged, I tried daytime again. I think I got one, maybe two pop-ups for it but it never finished either. I stopped bothering to take the decision after that.

Last edited:
What should be the expected checksum? I have all of the DLCs enabled and no mods enabled other than Tianxia and the Tianxia Content Packs minus the Chinese & Tibetan portraits because the readme said it doesn't work with JD. EDIT: Plus my fixed verison of the Ainu portraits if that affects the checksum.

SQVP. Having/not having a certain content pack active shouldn't matter, and neither should the Ainu portrait fixes.

The first time I took the decision I went daytime. I don't remember what choices specifically I made but I always went for the most expensive option because I was rolling in cash with nowhere else to spend it. Event chain finished that first time.

The second time, I chose night. IIRC the first choice I got was how much to spend on food. Again went most expensive. No other events popped after.
Third time, I chose night again. Didn't even get the first pop-up.
Thinking night-time hanami was bugged, I tried daytime again. I think I got one, maybe two pop-ups for it but it never finished either. I stopped bothering to take the decision after that.

Okay, thanks for the information. I'll see what I can figure out.

I'm not sure what's going on with the whole checksum situation. Just for sanity's sake, I uninstalled CK2, deleted a single loose file that hung around, reinstalled it, deleted Tianxia mod folder, redownloaded the mod from the bottom of the first post on the discussion thread, reinstalled it. In the CK2 launcher, checksum is AZCE, load it up with ONLY Tianxia enabled for mods, not even the content packs, and my checksum is still YYRS, so I don't know why it isn't lining up with the expected SQVP.

All I can think of is that you guys are using a different in-house build of the mod compared to what's on the download page (to be expected when its very much under development I suppose). Hopefully it won't matter too too much for bug reports. I don't want to be submitting reports if they are unique to me and a broken install, but everything should be in order on my end.

Anyways, I hope I don't come across as critical in my posts. I appreciate you guys and keep up the good work. Its the nature of the game itself that makes me salty.

I'm not sure what's going on with the whole checksum situation. Just for sanity's sake, I uninstalled CK2, deleted a single loose file that hung around, reinstalled it, deleted Tianxia mod folder, redownloaded the mod from the bottom of the first post on the discussion thread, reinstalled it. In the CK2 launcher, checksum is AZCE, load it up with ONLY Tianxia enabled for mods, not even the content packs, and my checksum is still YYRS, so I don't know why it isn't lining up with the expected SQVP.

All I can think of is that you guys are using a different in-house build of the mod compared to what's on the download page (to be expected when its very much under development I suppose). Hopefully it won't matter too too much for bug reports. I don't want to be submitting reports if they are unique to me and a broken install, but everything should be in order on my end.

Anyways, I hope I don't come across as critical in my posts. I appreciate you guys and keep up the good work. Its the nature of the game itself that makes me salty.

Huh. I'm pretty sure I checked the checksum just after I made the final changes before 6.0.0 was released...

No worries about the feedback; you've kept it constructive (a little salt is to be expected) and haven't targeted your critique at the team.

6.0.1 -- Known issues:

High priority issues:

Medium priority issues:
- Various (non-Han) Chinese cultures lack dynasty names, resulting in the surname "Smith" being used.

Low priority issues:
- Various trees are in the water
- Kamchatka is a wasteland
- Various CoAs are entirely white
- "Anarchy" government flavour

6.0.1 -- Solved issues (to be released):

6.0.1 -- NOT BUGS:

- The Small Figurine JD artefact can't be obtained.

This post is no longer relevant due to concerning an old version of the mod.

Last edited:
Not really a huge bug, and you guys might of fixed this on your own, but the chinese zodiac scripted triggers file, one of the brackets is a [ instead of a {. I can post it here as an attachment if you guys have not fixed the issue in you dev files. This is with the Oct 11th version running without content pack.

Not really a huge bug, and you guys might of fixed this on your own, but the chinese zodiac scripted triggers file, one of the brackets is a [ instead of a {. I can post it here as an attachment if you guys have not fixed the issue in you dev files. This is with the Oct 11th version running without content pack.

Thanks for the report. It was easily fixed once I knew it existed. Given that that whole file currently isn't being referenced by anything that actually can run (short of console use, at least) at present, I don't expect there to be any gameplay issues caused by that trigger being broken.

No problem. I have encountered another bug, this being my character never receiving the Satanists invite event(s), even after "being interested" for over 2 years. This while playing as a Basque Catholic count, with October 11th release.

No problem. I have encountered another bug, this being my character never receiving the Satanists invite event(s), even after "being interested" for over 2 years. This while playing as a Basque Catholic count, with October 11th release.

I don't think we've tweaked that event except to add a few more societies to an OR block. I'll have to investigate it at some point to be sure, but I think I've had a similar problem in vanilla at times, so it might simply be bad luck.

Game Version: 3.3.0
Game Checksum: OBEZ
Mod Version: 7.1.0
Installation Method: As per readme. Open alpha + content packs, sans mongol portraits, sans khitan unit packs.
Additional Mods: None
Brief Summary of Issue: Naaku, in duchy of Sachishima, has broken port. It appears in Coast of Ryukyu offshore Shimajiri. Charlemagne start, but this is also visible in some of the dev diaries for later dates. Any ships raised in Naaku are inaccessible, unable to be moved.

Malunay in duchy Sorsogon is also weird. Traveling to/through the county puts the unit on the beaches of Batangas. Batangas otherwise functions 100% normally, and besieging Malunay "in Batangas" affects Malunay as normal.

Endorphin and dopamine levels also seem to be increased when the mod is active. Not sure if that can be fixed without fundamental changes though, so no stressing.

Brief Summary of Issue: Naaku, in duchy of Sachishima, has broken port. It appears in Coast of Ryukyu offshore Shimajiri. Charlemagne start, but this is also visible in some of the dev diaries for later dates. Any ships raised in Naaku are inaccessible, unable to be moved.

Malunay in duchy Sorsogon is also weird. Traveling to/through the county puts the unit on the beaches of Batangas. Batangas otherwise functions 100% normally, and besieging Malunay "in Batangas" affects Malunay as normal.

Both should be fixed in the next version. You can paste the file below in the \map directory (overwrite the existing one) in your Tianxia folder in the meantime if you wish (it'll change the checksum, but that's unavoidable).

Attachments

• positions.txt
    803 KB · Views: 37