• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please limit it to something sane then, like maybe 5 or 10. ;)

(reason: Just manually deleted 2 dozen auto-saves, for the second or third time, to let me actually find my intentional save easier...)

Just as a workaround you can delete saves much faster directly from "My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Age of Wonders Planetfall\Saves".
Sadly that doesn't work for Cloud Saves which will have to be removed manually within the game.

I'll bring it up with the team whether 25 is too many autosaves.

Just as a workaround you can delete saves much faster directly from "My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Age of Wonders Planetfall\Saves".
Very good point, and something I may have ended up doing. Alternately, I just disabled auto-saving...;)

Realistically though, the auto-save is just a bit too aggressive (and the limit too high) for me to want to use it. It saves after every turn, and at every combat. It can, and has, auto-saved a handful of times in a single turn for me. That's more then a bit much I feel. Maybe that's just me though. *shrugs*

Fair point, you also made me realize that Combat Auto-Saves might not actually count towards that number or not delete a previous auto-save which could result in ever growing auto-save lists. So that is something we will be looking into.

Ideally there should be a way to quickly "mark" saves and then delete them all at once. You could even partition each scenario/match into its own folder, something like "Commander Name - Imperial World". Deleting the folder would delete all saves in it, useful for when that playthrough is done.

Ideally there should be a way to quickly "mark" saves and then delete them all at once. You could even partition each scenario/match into its own folder, something like "Commander Name - Imperial World". Deleting the folder would delete all saves in it, useful for when that playthrough is done.

There already is a drop down menu for save types, which includes options for "All", "Scenarios", and "Campaigns". But you're right, there is no option to delete multiple saves at once, which would be very nice.

Also, adding an option to that drop down for "Auto-Saves" and just having them show up only in there (and the "All" option, of course) would mostly eliminate the need to even control how many saves there were. I wouldn't care if the game made 50 auto-saves if they were in their own drop down separate from "Scenarios" or "Campaigns".

Fair point, you also made me realize that Combat Auto-Saves might not actually count towards that number or not delete a previous auto-save which could result in ever growing auto-save lists. So that is something we will be looking into.

Follow up to this, that I (and others) have since noticed. Combat Auto-Saves will still keep happening every manual combat, even if Auto-Saves are turned off. As far as I can tell there isn't any way to stop them. Regardless of if they do/don't count toward the auto save limit, these really should have their own toggle (or at least respect the toggle for turning off Auto-Saves in general.)

Hey guys, we've made note of your suggestions and are looking into them. Until those are actually implemented you can do the following to limit your amount of Auto Saves:
  1. Go to /User/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/Config (Or where you saves your game data)
  2. Create Game.cfg
  3. Edit the file and add the line: "MAX_AUTO_SAVE=X" where X is the number of Auto Saves you like.

Hey guys, we've made note of your suggestions and are looking into them. Until those are actually implemented you can do the following to limit your amount of Auto Saves:
  1. Go to /User/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/Config (Or where you saves your game data)
  2. Create Game.cfg
  3. Edit the file and add the line: "MAX_AUTO_SAVE=X" where X is the number of Auto Saves you like.

Thanks for the quick reply and the temp fix for this issue!

A question about this, though. Will this temp fix effect combat auto-saves or just the per turn ones? I'm guessing this will just address the per turn saves.

Now don't get me wrong, that's nice in itself and more then I was expecting this quickly. I'd turned them off, but will be turning them back on again due to this, so thanks again!. It would sure be nice though to also set some "MAX_COMBAT_SAVE=1" or something, as who really ever needs to pull up a pre-combat save from 2 combats ago (let alone 12 ;))?

PS: I fully recognize this is, in the grand scheme of the game and everything y'all are likely working on, an extremely minor issue. Thanks for taking the time on it.

It will not apply to combat saves because the system wasn't setup like that. I do have some more news, we've taken a few of your suggestion and they should be available in a upcoming patch.

Edit: Seems I was a bit too enthousiastic and it sadly didn't make the implementation cut off, this means it won't be in the velociraptor patch but we'll try to get it to you sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, the Auto Save improvements/fixes have been implemented and are available on the Open Beta. Do note that the Open Beta is slightly unstable but I would ask you to switch over and test the functionality. Over here we are getting slightly differing behavior on different machines so we want to check it with more users.