[1.25] Further Ottoman missions for realistic expansion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

withche.07

Lt. General
133 Badges
Oct 1, 2014
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Island Bound
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Empire of Sin
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
I was considering about this after first release but waited to see which missions have been added.
This is Ottomans mission tree:

Ottomissions.jpg

1. I think Caucasus and some parts of Europe wasn't really represented in this tree as Ottomans 'nearly' owned whole Black Sea surroundings back in time.
2. Ottomans naval successes and trade disputes against Portuguese wasn't represented too, especially after they had control in Arabia, they started defending East Africa, protectorates in India (Gujarat) even to East Indies affairs (Aceh etc.)

Current list:

1. European mainland conquests
City of the World's Desire -> Conquer Greece -> Conquer Serbia

->1 Conquer Bosnia -> Conquer Danube
->2 Conquer Wallachia -> Conquer Translyvania

2. Other conquest combined
Reform the Imperial Army -> Consolidate Asia Minor -> Safeguard Anatolia

->1 Conquer Levant -> Conquer Egypt ->
->a Conquer Tripolitania -> Conquer Tunisia -> Subjugate Algiers
->b Last Crusader Bastion -> Conquer Crete
->c Conquer Hejaz -> Conquer Mocha

->2 Conquer Trebizond -> Conquer Caffa

->3 Conquer Mesopotamia -> Conquer Al-Ahsa

These are going to be my suggestions:

1. European mainland conquests
City of the World's Desire -> Conquer Greece -> Conquer Serbia

->1 Conquer Bosnia -> Conquer Danube -> CONQUER TRANSDANUBIA -> CONQUER WIEN
->2 Conquer Wallachia -> CONQUER MOLDOVA -> Conquer Transylvania -> CONQUER YEDISAN -> CONQUER PODOLE

2. Other conquest combined
Reform the Imperial Army -> Consolidate Asia Minor -> Safeguard Anatolia

->1 Conquer Levant -> Conquer Egypt ->
->a Conquer Tripolitania -> Conquer Tunisia -> Subjugate Algiers -> CONQUER FEZ
->b Last Crusader Bastion -> CONQUER CHIO -> CONQUER CYPRUS -> Conquer Crete
->c Conquer Hejaz -> Conquer Mocha
->d CONQUER RED SEA COAST -> CONQUER ZEILA

->2 Conquer Trebizond -> Conquer Caffa -> SUBJUGATE GEORGIA -> SUBJUGATE AZERBAIJAN -> SUBJUGATE CIRCASSIA -> SUBJUGATE DAGESTAN

->3 Conquer Mesopotamia -> Conquer Al-Ahsa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_the_Ottoman_Empire

Biggest borders Ottomans have ever reached:
As4PCtJ.png

LEtQ7v7.png

zs18IRV.png

Ottoman-Empire-Map-At-Its-Height-Peak-Sultan-Army-Soldiers.jpg

2000px-Ottoman_empire.svg.png

2492085b742c476a37c027a77808f764.jpg

So Iet's explain:
I added TRANSDANUBIA to European list as Ottomans expanded further into nearly all Hungary.
I added WIEN as final gift for players beating up Austria. (Only thing added cause of siege, all others were truly annexed)
I added MOLDOVA as it was also annexed. By the way Ottomans didn't stop at Transylvania, they further annexed into YEDISAN (Crimea) and PODOLE (Poland). Added them to finish the list.

0WzieB1.png

After defending&uniting Anatolia, (Note: Defend Anatolia mission should be expanded to include all Turkish beyliks and Beyazit as well)
Ottomans have 3 different routes:
1. To Mesopotamia: Looks good.
2. To Caucasus: I think this was really short, I fixed it by adding all region annexed. (Imereti, Georgia, Armenia, North Azerbaijan, South Azerbaijan, Circassia and Dagestan) This can be polished by the way cause Ottomans later lost some of these. But IMERETI and CIRCASSIA should definitely be added!
3. To Levant and Egypt after it:
I expanded this FAR MORE detailed:

I added 4th way to Red Sea as: CONQUER RED SEA COAST. Ottomans went south to Eritrea coast and formed Habesh Eyalet.
https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeş_Eyaleti
Made it also added ZEILA but not that huge, it can be included as whole under CONQUER RED SEA COAST

To North Africa part was quite fine, only missing part was CONQUER FEZ. It may help players to further press Portuguese.

To Hejaz was represented fine.

To Aegean Coast in general:
It now includes only Crete and Rhodes which is not complete.
This should be far more extended to include every island territories, so I directly added CHIO and CYPRUS on chronological order. I still think that it may include Aegean as whole (including Negroponte and Naxos as well)

This is it!

Also, there could be some naval missions against Portuguese in India.
So here are maps for these potential additions.
8Wrqtx6.png

dGIdzej.png

whNmnW4.png

AKV0ucH.png

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
In Tunisian mission tree, there is option called Sponsor Piracy bringing "Hayreddin Barbarossa" event.
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Tunis#Hayreddin_Barbarossa

Can you please also tie this event to Ottoman mission tree's "Subjugate Algiers" option?

Actually this small fix is necessary, as it happened in history, Barbarossa became Beylerbeyi (Governor) of Algiers with great autonomy and he was always Ottoman admiral along with his brothers.

This is very nice event but in most games Ottomans would be more likely to get it, and its %100 historical.

I am planning to update this thread with more ideas from recent missions mod and my small researches, but this little change in hotfix or patch could be very nice.
@Caligula Caesar @neondt

Last edited:
Good suggestion, and good use of an academic source. Thanks for the all effort! Either way related event about Hayreddin Barbarossa which placed in Tunisian mission tree must be added to Ottoman missions in my opinion. Those piracy activities clearly belongs to Turkish history, even the explanation which in eu4 wiki supports that.

I was looking at missions mod in steam and it gave me cool ideas to integrate in Ottoman mission tree. It expands over historical Ottoman borders and go beyond with cool events:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1349005102

1. They added "Islamization of Bosnia" modifier to region on tree, affectively increasing missionary strength and decreasing missionary maintenance (Great idea)
2. There is guarenteed subjugation event of Crimea following option in tree. You can decide to leave them. (Great idea, must have)
3. There is vassalization option of Hetmanate (Fine idea)
4. Claims go beyond Anatolia in east to Georgia and Persian regions (Georgia is necessary, Persia isnt but fine)
5. There is event in tree decreasing autonomy and unrest in Syrian regions, it even removes Mamluk cores to represent fast Ottoman expansion (Not best but kinda okay idea)
6. There is event about Jerusalem, developing region or expelling dhimmis (okayish idea)
7. You can create "Sharifate of Mecca" (new nation) which might be like Papal State for Muslims (under Ottoman protection) Could be good idea to create whole new government type for this. This is actually my idea to create new government with it, but I was inspired by the mod as they created it! (Great idea)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharifate_of_Mecca
8. There is an event helping Ottomans to create one of its Barbary vassals, Tripolitania (instead of Fezzan). (Great idea, must have)
9. There is mission with surgent doctor Şerafettin Sabuncuoğlu (who was first to write a medical book in Turkish), adding innovativeness. (Great idea)
10. There is expedition to Aceh designed nicely, you should build great amount of ships and send them to Aceh, you should also own lot of coastal provinces in east Arabia and Basra regions. It makes you release Aceh (with event)as your vassal which is awesome! (Great idea)
11. There are great amount of Janissary decisions, adding better modifiers to janissaries. Mentioning Bektashi order, Mehter military band and nationalization of janissaries are all good options. (Great ideas)
12. Mediterrenean piracy option lets you appoint Piri Reis (who is famous with his map)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piri_Reis_map
So if you have exploration or expansion ideas you can use this map to open Brazil and west Africa, I find it enjoyable (Great idea)
13. There is also option lets you appoint Takiyüddin, who is great scientist. Could be nice event instead of tree option I guess but still (Good idea)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqi_ad-Din_Muhammad_ibn_Ma'ruf
14. It includes everything from Fez to Podole to Circassia to Suakin to Zeila to Qatar (all corners Ottomans conquered)

I personally suggest this mod to everyone, also I hope devs will consider applying some of these ideas to vanilla game.
ottomanmiss.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is the event bringing up Sharifate of Mecca
mecca.png

I liked the idea of having hybrid government. It actually has historical basis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharifate_of_Mecca
During the Ottoman period the Emirate was not hereditary, and owed its succession to direct nomination by the Ottoman Porte. A dual system of government existed over the Hejaz for much of this period. Ruling authority was shared between the Emir, a member of the ashraf or descendants of Muhammad, and the Ottoman vali or governor. This system continued until the Arab Revolt of 1916. Apart from the Emirs of Mecca, Ottoman administration in the Hejaz was first at the hands of the Governor of Egypt and then the Governors of Jeddah. The Eyalet of Jeddah was later transformed into the Hejaz Vilayet, with a governor in Mecca.
The Hejaz region was formerly under the Mamluk Sultanate until its defeat and take over by the Ottomans in 1517. In the same year, Sharif Barakat of Mecca acknowledged the Ottoman Sultan as Caliph. When the Sharifs accepted Ottoman sovereignty, the Sultan confirmed them in their position as rulers of the Hejaz. Ottoman authority was only indirect, as the arrangement left real power with the Emir. The Sultan assumed the title of "Hâdimü’l-Haremeyni’ş-Şerifeyn", or Custodian of the Two Holy Cities.

1. As a note, I would love to see more about Sale, Tetouan, Algiers (Barbarossa) and Habsan which weren't mentioned much in mod. If you play "overseas" expansionist Ottomans it would be nice to release these tags and weaken your opponents. (On the other hand, Tripolitania and Aceh are nice catches)

2. When I was reading about their events mentioning dev decreases in some regions like Cyprus or Rhodes, I directly remembered my thread
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ferent-approach-to-pops-paramilitary.1148525/
I think some of these population transfers could be added as events to establish proper rule (like decreasing Cyprus development). Or some dev increases in Balkans by displacing Yörük/Türkmens to Balkans, after invading Karaman.

Last edited:
At the bare minimum, given how many other tags have some VERY ambitious mission trees (in Emperor, Italy - a state which did not exist at any point during the EU4 timeframee - will have missions to reuinte the roman empire) it's really inexcusable that the Ottomans not have at the bare minimum a mission to conquer Wien, given that that's something they famously tried pretty hard to do.

Reactions:
Summary of what to do for Turks and Anatolia next:
In overall things to be updated for Turks in Anatolia:

1. Ottoman mission tree revisit (its not complete now, lot to be added from my threads) (Barbarossa to Algeria, supporting other pirate nations, Tripolitania, Ethiopia, Aceh adventures etc)
2. mission tree for Turkish minors to restore Rum
3. mission tree for Rum to restore Greater Seljuk (no new tag needed)
4. Alaiye (new province, new nation) in 1444 vassal to Karaman
5. releasable Karesi (connected to Byzantium), Ahi (republic), Artuqid (unique Turkish nation), Teke, Canik/Chepni beyliks.
6. ideas for Ramazan, Aydın and Dulkadir
7. Anatolian Sufi orders: Mevleviye (Mawlawiyah), Bektashi, Naqshbandi
8. Events about Yörüks of Anatolia
9. Art for Anatolian buildings/terrain
10. Timariot Sipahi-Nobility estate updates
11. Possible Enderun mechanic to draft advisors https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-state-sipahi-sultanate-of-women-era.1068546/
12. Sultanate of Women era to be expanded

Last edited:
Biggest reason why devs don't give these historical claims to Ottoman AI was sth like; "Devs: if we let Ottomans have permanent claims all over Austria or Italy, Ottomans would be so strong" this is funny statement. Even an average player can see there is no way to Ottoman AI can complete these missions. so what is the real problem then?

I started to think these missions are sth prestigious so they basically dont want to see prestigious things such as Roma, Roman empire or Habsburgs in Turkish mission tree. There is systematically work against this. look at the janissaries situation for example. They were Europe's first modern standing army but also they are worst special units in the game. why? Just think if the Europe's first modern standing army, prestigious like janissaries were French or Swedish etc. what would have happened then? We would be seeing them everywhere in the game.

Have you played Meiou & Taxes? In that mod there is miltary idea group called "standing army". If you were doing that mod who would represent "standing army" idea group? Janissaries right? Based on game's timeframe. But nooo whoever did that pictures chose antique Roman legionaries to represent that idea group lol. What can i say more?

Anatolian tech group is the only tech group which doesn't have its own unique building pictures. It uses desert Arabic sand/adobe buildings with yellowish color filter, so orientalist right?

I am not even talk about Cossack exp. trailer based on ridiculous romantic Russian based unreal letter which was never sent to Padishah was used to mock Turks. We even saw these when put a mission/event to impale sultan to the Wallachians. They even romanticised a bloodthirsty murderer evil person like Vlad Dracul . I expect same romanticism for Hitler too. Like "Make soap from Polish Jews" mission with a picture of soap. How does that sound? But we know, we won't see this never.

You ma
y call these small things but they are not. Have you seen advisor who represents Safiye Sultan in the game? Arabic looking dark skinned girl. Whoever chose that may have thought like "It is Turkish woman so lets chose ugly dark skinned Indian/Arabic looking woman to represent her". Safiye sultan was blonde...

Look at culture group for example, you are a Turk i am pretty much sure you hated when they decided to put Turkish culture in Arabic culture group. That was like an insult. A desert Bedouin who eats rice with his bare hands without using cutlery and an Anatolian, wow so much similarities...

Old rebellion system got changed and culture group is not so much important now but still Turkish culture is in the Arabic culture group. It is 5 min. work but they don't do it.

TL/DR in my mod i gave permanent claims all over Austria and Italy region to Ottomans. Never seen AI completed these missions because post COC Ottoman AI cant even conquer Mamluks before 1700s. So the mission tree is good for players.

Reactions:
Have a route into Central Asia been considered? Some "Heritage of the Seljuk Empire" missions could bring you into competition with potentially the Timurids or Mughals. And getting close to China (Ming or another dynasty).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Besides from conquest, the Ottomans really need internal development missions.

The below quote, for example, could be the basis for Constantinople development.

Other ideas.

Greek sailors and the Ottoman Navy. The Ottoman Navy was primarily staffed by Greek sailors, who of course already had expertise in sailing. The mission would require the Ottomans have a certain amount of sailors coming from Greek provinces, an amount that would require some Docks and owning most of Greece.

Completing the mission would grant a permanent modifier to the Greek coastal provinces, granting more sailors, and naval force limit.

Encourage the Phanariots. These were the educated Greeks, who were heavily used by the Ottomans for trade and diplomacy. Diplomacy and trade bonuses.

Greek resettlement of Anatolia. A mission that causes an event to fire, allowing the cultures of coastal Anatolian states to flip to Greek/Orthodox, granting some bonuses.

Banditry. The Ottoman Empire often had to deal with banditry in its vast empire.

Not alone events would be cannibalised.

For example, the Ottoman decision, Make Constantinople Capital should really be made into a mission, where it suits much better.

But it shouldn't be limited to just the Ottomans and Rum. Any Eastern European or Levantine culture nation that has enough development to be a proper kingdom to support Constantinople, should have access to this. A number of them have something similar, but this makes it more universal, without nations that miss out.

Requirements

Owns 200 development
Own Constantinople (151)
Capital is not Constantinople
Have not enacted this decision before

Gain Icon stability.png +1 stability
Constantinople:
Becomes core
Becomes capital
Changes culture to [Primary Culture]
Changes religion to [Primary Religion]
Rename province to [Insert Culture Name for 151]

Byzantium would be a unique, or just keep Reestablish the Theme System, and have this mission blocked off.

This would just be the first part of a chain.

For example

Requirement
Own Constantinople
Constantinople is a Level 2 centre of trade
Constantinople has a market place

Reward
Constantinople upgrades to Level 3 centre of trade

And

Requirements
Own Constantinople
Constantinople is a Level 3 centre of trade
Constantinople has a building in one of every category
Taxation
Production
Trade
Army
Navy
Fort
Manufactory
Constantinople has X amount of development

Reward - Permanent prestige attached to the province, and development cost reduction.

These are all just examples, but I think serve as a good leaping off point for how to handle the new mission system.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have never understood that Piri Reis was never implemented into the game. Piri Reis could be given as an admiral/explorer to the player with an event
I think he should be part of mission tree within Ottoman exploration.
Have a route into Central Asia been considered? Some "Heritage of the Seljuk Empire" missions could bring you into competition with potentially the Timurids or Mughals. And getting close to China (Ming or another dynasty).
I think this should be implemented to Rum mission tree instead. I prefer Ottoman mission tree to stay realistic as it would already be very "meaty" with only couple of fantasy options (Ottomans into Atlantic [by Barbary states], Eritrea Coast [Ottoman territories like Zeila are missing in tree] and Red Sea expeditions, protectorates [Aceh, Gujarat, Habsan] etc)

• 1Like
Reactions:
It can reach the Seljuks borders through the rum task tree. With a special decision, he can establish the Great Seljuks. (same burgundy / lotharingia). Such an alternative can be created.

Reactions:
It's really surprising to me that Ottoman expansion and client states in North Africa are not more developed in mission trees and events. Contest over Mediterranean by Spanish and Ottomans, which involved Papal states, Genoa and Venice was a major conflict in 16th century. Charles V himself lead an expedition to Algiers and this competition and its battles had huge effect on perspectives of peoples in the area and the legitimacy of the monarchs in their eyes. Both Charles V and Phillip II were very concerned with defence of Mediterranean coastline because of constant corsair activity and this was very important for their domain in Italy for both reasons of legitimacy and logistics.

Ottomans should have at the very least have missions to establish Algiers, Tunis and Tripoli as marches and pirate republics. Spanish should have missions to combat piracy. As it stands none of the natural precedents that lead to massive battles like Algiers Expeditions, conquest and reconquests of Tunis, sea battles like Preveza, Djerba and Lepanto, as well as proxy wars in Morocco between Spanish Habsburgs and Ottomans exist. Lepanto alone should justify at least some events and missions like Italian wars as it was one of the most important battles of the era in terms of legitimacy and just its sheer scale, Catholic Church still celebrates that battle to this day.

Reactions:
One thing I thought worth pointing out is that the Caucasus region is strangely absent not only from the Ottoman mission tree, but from Persian and Russian as well, so the powers that historically fought over it have no benefit to doing so. Even the one for the Mongol Empire just goes past it on both sides. Almost makes an impression that it's being avoided.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's really surprising to me that Ottoman expansion and client states in North Africa are not more developed in mission trees and events. Contest over Mediterranean by Spanish and Ottomans, which involved Papal states, Genoa and Venice was a major conflict in 16th century. Charles V himself lead an expedition to Algiers and this competition and its battles had huge effect on perspectives of peoples in the area and the legitimacy of the monarchs in their eyes. Both Charles V and Phillip II were very concerned with defence of Mediterranean coastline because of constant corsair activity and this was very important for their domain in Italy for both reasons of legitimacy and logistics.

Ottomans should have at the very least have missions to establish Algiers, Tunis and Tripoli as marches and pirate republics. Spanish should have missions to combat piracy. As it stands none of the natural precedents that lead to massive battles like Algiers Expeditions, conquest and reconquests of Tunis, sea battles like Preveza, Djerba and Lepanto, as well as proxy wars in Morocco between Spanish Habsburgs and Ottomans exist. Lepanto alone should justify at least some events and missions like Italian wars as it was one of the most important battles of the era in terms of legitimacy and just its sheer scale, Catholic Church still celebrates that battle to this day.
Thanks for such thoughtful reply. I definitely agree. Importance of north africa should be increased through Ottoman mission tree and events. This would pull Ottomans more towards Atlantic instead of weird things AI Ottomans do in Ukraine.

One thing I thought worth pointing out is that the Caucasus region is strangely absent not only from the Ottoman mission tree, but from Persian and Russian as well, so the powers that historically fought over it have no benefit to doing so. Even the one for the Mongol Empire just goes past it on both sides. Almost makes an impression that it's being avoided.
Caucasus is definitely a region to be revisited. It might be intentionally left out for free patch. As far as I remember Persian mission tree isn't very detailed either. Like Ottomans.