• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With a proper species system you could just say race horse can only marry and have kids with other horses and the hardcoded marrige and fertility systems would handle it automatically.

Yes, this exactly.

I know such a feature would be almost useless in vanilla ck2. But there are a lot of big overhaul mods that are based on fantasy. Most of them are based on fantasy actually, and such a system would make all those mods a lot cleaner and the job of the moders a lot easier.

Or at the very least, as I said, give us a culture based marriage restriction. It would not be as clean as a species system, but it would at least be a huge improvement to the current system where if a dragon and an orc have different cultures and different race traits, but they both, let's say, follow the same god, they will get married and produce offpsings. And the amount of maintenance events you have to write in order to take care of that are not only a lot of work, but they also slow down the game after a certain point. So a culture restriction combined with the current religion restriction would make that a lot easier.

Or, for an even better more general solution, allow modders to script requirements for currently hardcoded diplomatic actions in general. Fantastic if we could get the AI weightings as well, just like with we got with the Papal actions and elective succession voting.

That's just an alias for graphicalculture.

That's not what's being asked for, the horse trait cat trait etc are basically giant bodges for the fact CK2 considers all characters human. Those traits stop marriages, however if you wanted a race of horse people that could marry and breed but only with each other, then you would have to write a bunch of maintenance events to divorce human/horse characters because the ai doesnt care who it marries and remove pregnancies.

With a proper species system you could just say race horse can only marry and have kids with other horses and the hardcoded marrige and fertility systems would handle it automatically.
According to the wiki, race and graphical_culture are *not* exactly the same. 2 characters with the same graphical_culture will match with the graphical_culture trigger. 2 characters with the same graphical_culture via 2 different cultures defined with the same graphical_culture will *not* match with the race trigger. Probably doesn't help you any, but they aren't alias.

Since CK2 was never meant to be a fantasy game, it seems very unlikely the devs will *ever* provide any real support for species. It'd be real fun if they did, but I just don't see it happening, any more than a random map generator.

Allow sea provinces to be added to regions. I tried creating a region for the baltic sea, which I planned to use to scope to provinces adjacent to the baltic sea. But no the geographical region file only accept land provinces it seems. Which seems odd because that means someone actively went in and prevented this functionality and I can see no good reason for that.

Or, for an even better more general solution, allow modders to script requirements for currently hardcoded diplomatic actions in general. Fantastic if we could get the AI weightings as well, just like with we got with the Papal actions and elective succession voting.
That would basically require the devs to revert those systems from hard-code to scripting, with all the slow-down that would involve. :(

Allow sea provinces to be added to regions. I tried creating a region for the baltic sea, which I planned to use to scope to provinces adjacent to the baltic sea. But no the geographical region file only accept land provinces it seems. Which seems odd because that means someone actively went in and prevented this functionality and I can see no good reason for that.
It sounds like the dev's purpose with regions was only to cover only land areas. Perhaps having water in there was a problem.

You can easily create a region that includes all the provinces adjacent to the Baltic. The devs seldom add code that can already be accomplished.

It sounds like the dev's purpose with regions was only to cover only land areas. Perhaps having water in there was a problem.

You can easily create a region that includes all the provinces adjacent to the Baltic. The devs seldom add code that can already be accomplished.
Except they wouldn't have to add code just remove the code that blocks sea provinces from being added to regions. And the baltic sea has like 10 provinces, the provinces bordering it is more than 100 I would guess. Much more effective then just to replace my check for the Baltic sea region with check for the 10 Baltic sea provinces directly.
It also means I don't clutter up the regions interface with yet another single use region.

Last edited:
Except they wouldn't have to add code just remove the code that blocks sea provinces from being added to regions. And the baltic sea has like 10 provinces, the provinces bordering it is more than 100 I would guess. Much more effective then just to replace my check for the Baltic sea region with check for the 10 Baltic sea provinces directly.
It also means I don't clutter up the regions interface with yet another single use region.

Oh also where can I find mass conversions, the only version I find is linked to converting to attacking religion.
The thing is, if there was originally some reason that having sea provinces in regions was a problem for the devs, then it likely still *is* a problem. They'd need to add some other way to get around that problem. *Any* change (addition, deletion, editing, whatever) has the potential to cause bugs. Since the game already supports what you actually need (a Baltic region), they are unlikely to make the change. Doesn't hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up.

As for "mass conversion", it would probably be better to take that question to the Modding Quick Questions thread, rather than here. But do clarify what you mean: Do you mean converting provinces? There are events for that. Also, most often, when a ruler converts, all of his courtiers and many vassals will also. There is also event code for that.

As for "mass conversion", it would probably be better to take that question to the Modding Quick Questions thread, rather than here. But do clarify what you mean: Do you mean converting provinces? There are events for that. Also, most often, when a ruler converts, all of his courtiers and many vassals will also. There is also event code for that.
Yes sorry I got a bit confused as to what thread I was in.

An increases_wonder_cost = no flag for Great Work definitions (and/or the ability to set the cost increase separately for different types of Great Works) would be nice, in case we want to add some Great Works that don't make building other Great Works more expensive without affecting the cost increase caused by other types of Great Works.

This has probably been suggested earlier but I was unable to find it.

What I would really like to see is the ability to mod in custom mapmodes. You can define mapmodes by providing a list of possible conditions where each one has a color (or color range for a gradient) assigned to it. Each condition works as a normal province scope condition. When the mapmode is turned on, this condition is applied to all provinces on the map and they get coloured based on the results.

Example mapmode to check a hospital level in the province (i want this so much):
Code:
hospital_level_mode = {
    icon = hospital_level #hospital_level.dds in a special folder

stage = {
        color = {0 100 0} #RGB value
        trigger = {
            hospital_has_building = hospital_building_5
        }
    }

stage = { #conditions are checked one by one until one of them is satisfied
        color = {0 120 0}
        trigger = {
            hospital_has_building = hospital_building_4
        }
    }

default_color = {128 128 128} #if no condition is satisfied

popup_text = hospital_level_mode_desc #"Hospital level in this province:"
        #optional: for popups when you mouseover a province in this mapmode
    popup_value = hospital_level # "...5" or whatever
}

Additional options:

gradient = yes #for modes with too many stages, like technologies or wealth
In this case only a single value should be checked for each condition and this conditions should be ordered. Color values between steps are interpolated from nearest conditions.

mixed_colors = yes #for modes with two colors (like an occupied province).
In this case two sets of conditions should be provided and the colors are checked independently for each one. Then the province gets a striped look according to these colors.

As for the GUI, I suggest adding a single "custom modes" button which, when clicked, will produce a dropdown list of all currently loaded custom mapmodes with their relevant icons.

This has probably been suggested earlier but I was unable to find it.

What I would really like to see is the ability to mod in custom mapmodes. You can define mapmodes by providing a list of possible conditions where each one has a color (or color range for a gradient) assigned to it. Each condition works as a normal province scope condition. When the mapmode is turned on, this condition is applied to all provinces on the map and they get coloured based on the results.

Example mapmode to check a hospital level in the province (i want this so much):
Code:
hospital_level_mode = {
    icon = hospital_level #hospital_level.dds in a special folder

stage = {
        color = {0 100 0} #RGB value
        trigger = {
            hospital_has_building = hospital_building_5
        }
    }

stage = { #conditions are checked one by one until one of them is satisfied
        color = {0 120 0}
        trigger = {
            hospital_has_building = hospital_building_4
        }
    }

default_color = {128 128 128} #if no condition is satisfied

popup_text = hospital_level_mode_desc #"Hospital level in this province:"
        #optional: for popups when you mouseover a province in this mapmode
    popup_value = hospital_level # "...5" or whatever
}

Additional options:

gradient = yes #for modes with too many stages, like technologies or wealth
In this case only a single value should be checked for each condition and this conditions should be ordered. Color values between steps are interpolated from nearest conditions.

mixed_colors = yes #for modes with two colors (like an occupied province).
In this case two sets of conditions should be provided and the colors are checked independently for each one. Then the province gets a striped look according to these colors.

As for the GUI, I suggest adding a single "custom modes" button which, when clicked, will produce a dropdown list of all currently loaded custom mapmodes with their relevant icons.
There are some interesting things done with display_on_map under councillor actions. A lot can be done that way, but it really would be nice to have official support for custom map modes.

Mostly a QoL thing, but a "hidden = yes" flag for geographical regions would be nice, in case you want some region to be hidden to avoid clutter or "spoilers" (e.g. you'd like to hide the HPFZ or some other "Good/Bad things might happen here!" region).

allowing fourth party in decisions (would help for custom marriage and the like)
allowing polyandry
allowing custom non-elective inheritance types thrugh scoping and a clause for secondary heirs (like in gavelkind) and a flag for can bastards inherit (like in turkish sucssesion)
allowing to set diffrent can inherit for diffrent cultures/religions
allowing to set custom requirements for reformation

Can we perhaps get the possibility of creating/modding new holding types?

That is listed on the wiki as a rejected suggestion, so it is extremely unlikely that it ever will be implemented.

Can we get a demesne size percentage modifier (say demense_perc), a vassal limit percentage modifier (vassal_perc), and a court size percentage modifier (court_perc)?

I foresee their use as
Code:
demesne_perc = .1
granting an extra demesne size to characters with between 5 and 14 current demesne size. Preferably this would be additive with gavelkind's bonus so a gavelkind ruler with the above modifier would have an extra 40% bonus instead of 30%.

Could WONDER_STACKING_PENALTY be moved out of defines.lua and into being a character modifier or something.
Or else could you add a way to remove a specific wonder type from activating the stacking penalty.
Actually how about a simple build_cost_wonder_modifier.

Last edited:
Could WONDER_STACKING_PENALTY be moved out of defines.lua and into being a character modifier or something.
Or else could you add a way to remove a specific wonder type from activating the stacking penalty.
Actually how about a simple build_cost_wonder_modifier.
Actually, both a "wonder_build_cost_modifier" and "wonder_build_time_modifier" modifier seem to exist - check the vanilla architect trait.
They are, however, not documented on the wiki and I can't say whether they work.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to be able to exclude certain wonders from contributing to the stacking penalty by setting a flag on them.