• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Change sainthood/ancestor veneration from being hardcoded to certain religion groups or religions with the religion_beatification feature to be a toggleable feature (e.g. as with set_can_excommunicate). Alternatively, add a set_religion_feature command so that religion_beatification can be applied to a religion outside of reformation.

Reactions:
Also, while we're at it. I would also LOVE to see more "weird" symbols appear in the game. I'll give an example of the nickname Bloodaxe from Eirik in the new Iron Century bookmark.
Bloodaxe = Blóðøx - If held by a Norse. The only letters here that appears in the game is 'B''l' & 'x'.
The game operates only on the Windows-1252 character encoding. All the characters in "Blóðøx" are available in Windows-1252, and used in the game. The fact that you are getting weirdness suggests that you are not saving your localization file in Windows-1252, but likely in the more modern Unicode.

An ignores_de_jure_desire_penalties = yes/no flag (defaulting to no) for governments would be quite useful in case we want to disable the "Desires the County of X" penalty and similar penalties in certain places.

Please make the disable marriage AI for landed / out of court family members duration moddable in the defines file instead of having it hardcoded for 10 years max.

Also allow us to have both concubines and polygamy again. A a couple of patches before you use to be able to give religions the ability to have both concubines and polygamy and everything would work perfectly fine except the bottom right box in the interface only showed second wives when you had both. But now we can no longer have both for some reason which make no sense. Why did you decide to polygamy always override concubinage? I can understand that if you played as like a Muslim Celt, it could be exploited to have both in the vanilla game. But you should be able to change the game logic so that it only overrides when the religion gives you polygamy and the culture gives you concubinage, while if the religion gives you both it should work fine since its no longer a exploit in the vanilla game since no religion gives you both.

Also a way to minimize how much work you would have to do to allow us to have both concubines and secondary spouses is just giving them different borders or icons in the character screen like how when you have half siblings, legitimate or bastard family members, or different tier ranks.

Last edited:
Allow us to have more than one wonder per province for modding purposes. Currently it is hardcoded to only one, and while vanilla might not need more than that it would be good if mods could.

In tributary modding, "suzerain_can_join_infighting = no" should prevent the suzerain from joining wars between its tributaries. However, it does not currently work, requiring imperfect workarounds via event (which are imperfect because "join_defender_wars" doesn't allow discrimination between multiple wars).

In tributary modding, "suzerain_can_join_infighting = no" should prevent the suzerain from joining wars between its tributaries. However, it does not currently work, requiring imperfect workarounds via event (which are imperfect because "join_defender_wars" doesn't allow discrimination between multiple wars).

From some further testing, the problem appears to be that while that line "suzerain_can_join_infighting" DOES block the automatic call to arms from the tributary, it DOES NOT prevent the suzerain from offering to join the war (which the AI will happily do, even if it's between its own subjects).

The game operates only on the Windows-1252 character encoding. All the characters in "Blóðøx" are available in Windows-1252, and used in the game. The fact that you are getting weirdness suggests that you are not saving your localization file in Windows-1252, but likely in the more modern Unicode.
(Sorry for the late reply.)
Currently I am using "UTF-8 Without BOOM". Should I just use the "Windows-1252" coding instead and that would solve my problems?
I don't remember the details, but long ago I had to change to UTF-8 without BOOM due to something not working properly.
Do you (or anyone) maybe know why one uses without BOOM and Windows-1252 - or even another coding format?

Only Windows-1252 works properly - UTF-8 encodes several characters differently, which will result in some accented characters not displaying correctly. If Windows-1252 wasn't working, you might have been trying to use a character that's not part of the Windows-1252 character set.
Crusader Kings II (and most video games for that matter) only contain instructions for reading a single encoding method, so they don't actually check how a text file is encoded and just assume you are using the one format they accept.

Only Windows-1252 works properly - UTF-8 encodes several characters differently, which will result in some accented characters not displaying correctly. If Windows-1252 wasn't working, you might have been trying to use a character that's not part of the Windows-1252 character set.
Crusader Kings II (and most video games for that matter) only contain instructions for reading a single encoding method, so they don't actually check how a text file is encoded and just assume you are using the one format they accept.
I see- Thanks for clearing it up

Trait flags that make the character require a regent but still able to command soldiers and vice versa.

@Meneth It may be helpful to change the link in the intro to https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Modding_suggestions, as the ckiiwiki link no longer seems to automatically redirect

Reactions:
What I would like is a way to mark graphical cultures as depending on a particular DLC or game rule, so that a mod can have graphics that adapt to people's DLC purchases or rules choices rather than requiring submods. All that would be needed would be an optional allow={} clause in each block in the files in common/graphicalculturetypes.

Come to think of it, other global conditions could be powerful there too: a graphical culture that's only valid before (or after) a certain date, to provide greater flexibility than the existing early/regular/late structure using defines.

nd

I would love a way to fire an event on a specific day, by allowing <type>_event = { id = <something> days = <variable> }
and/or <type>_event = { id = <something> day = <number> month = <number> (optional year = <number> and/or years = <number>) }

In the second case, I imagine the game could queue events for each day of the year and when that day has come, fire the entire queue for characters the events were queued for.

Edit:
Just realised it would also be nice to set modifiers to expire on a specific date, similar to above.

Last edited:
I would love a way to fire an event on a specific day, by allowing <type>_event = { id = <something> days = <variable> }
and/or <type>_event = { id = <something> day = <number> month = <number> (optional year = <number> and/or years = <number>) }

In the second case, I imagine the game could queue events for each day of the year and when that day has come, fire the entire queue for characters the events were queued for.
It can be done, altho nowhere near that easy. I was helping a guy in the Quick Questions forum a while back who was making a mod to help.

It can be done, altho nowhere near that easy. I was helping a guy in the Quick Questions forum a while back who was making a mod to help.

I noticed, as that was about all I could find on it. I may use it, or some other trickery, but clearly it would be nice if the game had a smart way of doing it.
My needs are different from that mod's ideas, so I think I'll compromise and fire events around the right date, which is probably very acceptable for my purposes.

I noticed, as that was about all I could find on it. I may use it, or some other trickery, but clearly it would be nice if the game had a smart way of doing it.
My needs are different from that mod's ideas, so I think I'll compromise and fire events around the right date, which is probably very acceptable for my purposes.

I was the guy jursamaj helped. The solution I came up with isn't as parsimonious as what you're requesting, but neither is it terribly difficult to implement. You basically create an on_startup event (repeating daily) that exports the year, month, and day to global variables, and then check those variables in the trigger blocks of whatever events you need to fire on specific dates. I used it for moon phases, solstices and equinoxes, etc., but it's readily generalizable. If you'd like help adapting it for your needs, let me know.

Some suggestions to improve moddability for total overhauls.

1. A way to restrict marriages based on culture the same way you can restrict now based on religion.

2. Make the map models for tribal and nomads less hardcoded so we can add different 3d settlement models for each culture. There is a "culture_tribal_01" building gfx code in the settlements .gfx files, but it does nothing.

3. Add a special race/specie trait that would always be inhereted and would allow us to restrict certain actions based on that trait for each character. This one would be useful only for fantasy based overhauls, but it would be oh so useful.

4. On the same note but more doable and more useful even in vanilla, a way to add infertility to a trait, but only when the other parent has a certain trait.

3. Add a special race/specie trait that would always be inhereted and would allow us to restrict certain actions based on that trait for each character. This one would be useful only for fantasy based overhauls, but it would be oh so useful.
There actually already is a race property of characters. Vanilla uses it with 'horse', 'cat', & 'italian'. There's also a horse trait, which a character can only have if their race is horse.

actually already is a race property of characters. Vanilla uses it with 'horse', 'cat', & 'italian'.
That's just an alias for graphicalculture.

There's also a horse trait, which a character can only have if their race is horse.
That's not what's being asked for, the horse trait cat trait etc are basically giant bodges for the fact CK2 considers all characters human. Those traits stop marriages, however if you wanted a race of horse people that could marry and breed but only with each other, then you would have to write a bunch of maintenance events to divorce human/horse characters because the ai doesnt care who it marries and remove pregnancies.

With a proper species system you could just say race horse can only marry and have kids with other horses and the hardcoded marrige and fertility systems would handle it automatically.

Last edited: