Military Experience in Cicero

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Military Experience is a new resource in Cicero, which is used to get traditions. Each tradition you take costs 100 experience.

You gain experience basically by the average experience of all your cohorts. High warexhaustion will increase it a little bit, and relying on mercenaries will reduce it.

2019_07_02_1.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you plan to add other ways to increase cohort experience in Cicero? Otherwise more peaceful nations might fall behind too much. Maybe the drilling of HoI IV and EU IV?

PS: Can Cicero already release please :p

Great! This is better than the fixed 20 year cost that was originally planned. This is also a nerf to mercenaries which many people have been complaining about (being too effective) not only in I:R but EU4 too.

Ooh, so that's what it is.
I really like the sound of it. When considering post-power traditions I wanted them to be somehow tied to actually waging wars but couldn't figure out how to do it effectively, tying it to experience is a great way to do it. I also like WE increasing it as what I imagine is a nod to Roman army reforms.

By the way, does ship experience also affect the rate?

Military Experience is a new resource in Cicero, which is used to get traditions. Each tradition you take costs 100 experience.

Cool, I like this revisited version of ME from HoI4. Military research is done on the battlefield, not in the laboratories (at least at that time). Will we allowed to increase it through Training (that consume Manpower)?

Btw, should i consider this as a mini-Dev diary and add it on the wiki?

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries

Will military experience have other uses? Will you fix cohort experience so not new recruits are the most experienced and fighting battles reduce it?

Do you plan to add other ways to increase cohort experience in Cicero? Otherwise more peaceful nations might fall behind too much. Maybe the drilling of HoI IV and EU IV?

Actually currently fighting battles can actually reduce experience which may make Peaceful countries better at getting military traditions for some reason.

Last edited:

Peaceful nations should fall behind... why would they innovate their military if all they do is sniff the flowers?

So now a country rulers martial skills have literally no influence over the direction of evolution of said country's military? Or generals - armies just reform themselves...

Not unexpected, but still disappointing.

Unless a generals Martial skill affects how fast cohorts gain experience - is that a thing? I don't think so, but am not sure. If that's not the case then I think generals Martial (or perhaps an average from their Martial and Finesse?) skill should grant a modifier to the amount of the experience resource generated by the army he/she commands. To picture the fact that a good commander can put the experience from a campaign to good use while a bad one would squander it.

EDIT: grammar

I love lt. This is the kind of 'mana' people want. One that its got from the player interacting with the world.

A very smart and elegalt solution that was suggested in your mana removal post. Thanks for listening to the community.

Now you need to change so that all cohorts start at zero xp and the stuff that give exp should be changed to increase cohort xp gain speed in battles.

It is quite strange that cohorts that never fight is often more experienced than cohorts that have been fighting for years.

Cool, I like this revisited version of ME from HoI4. Military research is done on the battlefield, not in the laboratories (at least at that time). Will we allowed to increase it through Training (that consume Manpower)?

Btw, should i consider this as a mini-Dev diary and add it on the wiki?

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries
Maybe add all these little teasers in their own section? There have been quite a few of them after all

Honestly I do not like drilling in these games. Experience from war feels so much better. Like HoI - wanna better templates or doctrines? Go to war and let your army improve through the combat experience.

You do realise you can already train your cohorts ? meaning you get experience for them so you will get that modifier even if you never go to war ?

Sounds interesting.

I think experience might be a bit too fickle right now. And "average" sounds like it would lead to strange choices. But I assume there are lots of tweaks involved, so can't judge.

Also, maybe something like military expenditure could also factor in a little? Giving it a more robust baseline.

Edit: Hope it will be somewhat similar, in terms of gameplay, to EUs military tradition (But without the massive idea bonuses.).

Last edited:
Peaceful nations should fall behind... why would they innovate their military if all they do is sniff the flowers?
Maybe the flowers are carnivorous and actually xenomorphs in disguise?

I don't exactly see why "military experience" has to be a currency? Why not just make it a simple bar in military traditions tab that gradually fills up monthly depending on the same factors as the currency already does, and then when it fills up completely you can select a new military tradition? With an ahead of time penalty if you have too many too quickly?

Currently, is "Military Experience" really any different from red "mana", other than the method of its generation being different? It's predominantly spent on traditions still, and the little uses it has outside of it don't really warrant it being its own separate currency. That said, I don't know the full picture, so I don't know really, but replacing mana with repainted mana seems like a bad idea.

Last edited: