• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stirrrr

Recruit
2 Badges
Mar 9, 2019
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
Hi, i've been trying to resolve this issue.
I've trawled through the forums, and tried stuff but no avail.
i've tried to add the tls1.2 thing, tried to unlink and relaunch magicka to relink (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/unable-to-communicate.1124277/) but still not able to connect.
i'm using a Mac, with no firewall up. i've played this game twice since i've bought it, but now i'm not able to connect to paradox servers all of a sudden.

Please help......

Upvote 0
If you are on Macs this is a current bug I'm afraid. It's being looked into but no ETA on a fix, I'm sorry.

Also having this issue (macos 10.14). Launching through steam, I added
Code:
-debug_ssl
to the launch options and got the attached log. The relevant piece is:
Code:
12:39:14 [Curl] Info:   Trying 151.101.118.217...

12:39:14 [Curl] Info:   Trying 151.101.118.217...

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: Connected to api.paradox-interactive.com (151.101.118.217) port 443 (#0)

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: TLSv1.0 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: Connected to api.paradox-interactive.com (151.101.118.217) port 443 (#0)

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: TLSv1.0 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: TLSv1.0 (IN), TLS alert, Server hello (2):

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version

12:39:14 [Curl] Info: Closing connection 0

This tells me that its using TLSv1.0, which is very old and probably the source of the problem.
That said, the "quick fix" of adding
Code:
-tls1.2
to the launch options did not solve my problem. When I add this flag, the log has this line instead of the error listed above:
Code:
12:47:45 [Curl] Info: Unsupported SSL protocol version

I'm not sure if that means the ssl version is unsupported server side, or if I don't have that version installed on my mac.

Would love to get this fixed obviously. My group of friends just bought Magicka2 on the current steam sale and are really hoping to actually play!

Attachments

• console_2019-05-08-12.38.53-xujkrmbg.txt
    42,2 KB · Views: 49
I'm having the same issue, and it seems like it could be the return of a previous issue. I found solutions for *linux* that could be worth trying on OSX, assuming we can confirm what exactly is happening here.

Hello, is there an update to this? Would love to be able to play on MacOs again! @AndrewT
I do check with Paradox every now and then, no news as yet, I am sorry.
I'm having the same issue, and it seems like it could be the return of a previous issue. I found solutions for *linux* that could be worth trying on OSX, assuming we can confirm what exactly is happening here.
Interesting, can you enlarge on that here?

FYI my impression was an issue with the back-end servers, but the fact it only happens to Macs seems to point away form that.

Well twice in the past there were issues with forum posts here and on Steam indicating an issue with one of two things: either an expired cert on Paradox's part, or an issue with where the game checks for the certificates versus where they actually exist on OSX.

Furthermore, the Spell balance Beta works normally for me (and I'd wager others who are having the issue will find the same) which means there's an issue specifically with the current version of the game and how it relates to OS X users.

I think @BobIsBadAtGames is referring to e.g. this problem/solution that discusses the need to symlink certificate (...bundles? not sure of the right word.) on a few Linux distros, so they have the name Magicka2 looks for. I don't believe I'm having this kind of issue, as I think my issue stems from the server rejecting TLS1.0 things, but I could definitely be wrong (I would like to be wrong!). As for expired cert issues, this (old) pin discusses the problem. All certs show as green and happy for me though, so I don't think that's the issue either.

@BobIsBadAtGames I've seen the "spell balance beta" pop up in my steam library but am not sure what it is. Is this an official thing or some community built thing? I guess I'm willing to use it either way if it solves my problem!
Edit: found this, which gives more details! I'll try it out and update as to whether or not it works for me too.
Update: Indeed, the Spell Balance Beta works for me too! Are there any downsides to this? Seems like it might be an older version of the game...but I'd rather an old version that works over a new version that doesn't.

Last edited:
I reproduced @scypress findings on the latest MacOS update (10.14.5).

The error text ("Unsupported SSL protocol version") is coming from Magicka, not libcurl. There were some particular version / build configuration combinations of libcurl that had a bug that could conceivably cause Magicka to report that error (see https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/1703). The version of curl and libcurl included in Mac OS (at least on my system) doesn't exhibit that bug (because it's built with LibreSSL, not SecureTransport), but I strongly suspect that Magicka statically linked its own copy of libcurl into its binary. If that's the case then there's no fix except for Paradox to re-compile (or re-link, really) with a different / newer version of curl.

Same issue here, the beta version works fine on Mac OS 10.14.4, didn't even need to login (surprisingly). Is there any chance of the problem being login files corrupted and anyway to delete/reset them?
My beta version shows my stats and game nick, the non beta shows my steam name...

Ps. My game does not show up in "my games" at paradoxplaza.com

Is there any chance of the problem being login files corrupted and anyway to delete/reset them?
No. As best as I can tell this is a solid problem on every Mac, all the time.
Ps. My game does not show up in "my games" at paradoxplaza.com
That's not unusual and has nothing to do with this problem. It should not cause any harm to anything in fact.

I'm experiencing the same issue on MacOS 10.14.5.
This is a useful thread; appreciate the updates! :)

Just wanted to add my voice to this in the hope it might help get this issue bumped up the list of priorities. I bought the game purely to play with a few friends, but can't until it's resolved :(