Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #34 - Patch 1.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have any changes been made to extend transport range or alter the way amphibious assaults work?
This game is crippled by the way it works.

Unless you're playing WW1, I've never had an issue with range or Amphibious Assaults. But you can extend the range of transports by modding the unit files. Also, don't forget that researching the Marine techs also increases amphibious assault for all units.

Unless you're playing WW1, I've never had an issue with range or Amphibious Assaults. But you can extend the range of transports by modding the unit files. Also, don't forget that researching the Marine techs also increases amphibious assault for all units.
I'm playing 1944 DH light and basically none of the transports can amphib attack troops to the western hemisphere, because of the range and where the beaches are.

I'm playing 1944 DH light and basically none of the transports can amphib attack troops to the western hemisphere, because of the range and where the beaches are.

Amphib Assault from where? Are you not island hopping? If you're trying to directly Amphibious Assault USA and/or Western Hemisphere from Asia or Europe even in 2019 then you're SOL

So I downloaded 1.0.5.1 via steam and then went and got a mod for it. At first I genuinely thought the mod was causing the issue, but nope DH Full has the same issue. For some reason, even with more than ample supplies/oil and their production level been well into the green, along with transports I cannot ship supplies to overseas provinces. I even tried using the province that has my primary national stockpile as the port of origin. Still no supplies able to be sent out. This is incredibly game breaking especially if playing as countries like the US/GB/Japan/France that resource convoys work fine, but supply convoys are totally broken it seems. I will attempt another fresh instal, but one attempt gave the same outcome. I will also try playing 1.0.5 instead, I do know this was not an issue I had with 1.0.4.

I'm not sure if I'm genuinely dumb, but I'm doing the exact same thing as previous versions. I've always used manual convoy creation and not had an issue until now.

Attachments

• yeahidk.png
    yeahidk.png
    60,8 KB · Views: 58
You can’t ship supply to the Bahamas if there are no units stationed in the province.
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, I read that building a province improvement also allows to send supply.

Amphib Assault from where? Are you not island hopping? If you're trying to directly Amphibious Assault USA and/or Western Hemisphere from Asia or Europe even in 2019 then you're SOL
Greenland province to Newfoundland province, after I built a port in Greenland and re-based to it. Impossible.

I feel that in a properly designed game, I wouldn't need to mod the game files to get troops from Greenland to Newfoundland.
So, how would I do that?

You can’t ship supply to the Bahamas if there are no units stationed in the province.
I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, I read that building a province improvement also allows to send supply.
I've tried doing it with units there on Midway and Pago Pago. Same issue. No idea what's up. Doing a total wipe and reinstal of the game for a second time to see whats up. Maybe its a steam version issue? (I've been using my GG version for years until now as I wanted a clean instal for using other people's mods, since I've modded the base game files a lot over the past few years, lol).

Greenland province to Newfoundland province, after I built a port in Greenland and re-based to it. Impossible.

I feel that in a properly designed game, I wouldn't need to mod the game files to get troops from Greenland to Newfoundland.
So, how would I do that?

In all the years I've been playing DH, you seem to be the only one having that issue; so I don't know. I play as Japan all the time and have never encountered this issue while carrying out Amphibious assaults at much farther distances. Maybe you're lacking a naval doctrine tech? Plus, you're playing DH Lite...so there's that.

In all the years I've been playing DH, you seem to be the only one having that issue; so I don't know. I play as Japan all the time and have never encountered this issue while carrying out Amphibious assaults at much farther distances. Maybe you're lacking a naval doctrine tech? Plus, you're playing DH Lite...so there's that.
Well excuse me for having a problem with this game that I bought; which appears to be working as designed, badly, by not letting me land troops or sail transports anywhere over 3000 distance away.

Well excuse me for having a problem with this game that I bought; which appears to be working as designed, badly, by not letting me land troops or sail transports anywhere over 3000 distance away.

Grab a hold of yourself, I'm trying to help you here. The game is 8 years old and you seem to be the only one having this issue in all those years. If you want to transport divisions 3000 klicks then use the sea transport mission. It's unlimited as long as you're going from one friendly port to another. If you can cite an amphibious operation that spanned 3000 kilometers then I'll gladly eat the crow in my backyard.

Edit: Also, the default game is DH Full btw. I don't think they've been updating/patching DH Lite in probably 5 years. It's definitely not their focus. Just try playing DH Full, it's infinitely better. Then try out the mods in the subforum, lots of fun.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Grab a hold of yourself, I'm trying to help you here. The game is 8 years old and you seem to be the only one having this issue in all those years. If you want to transport divisions 3000 klicks then use the sea transport mission. It's unlimited as long as you're going from one friendly port to another. If you can cite an amphibious operation that spanned 3000 kilometers then I'll gladly eat the crow in my backyard.

Edit: Also, the default game is DH Full btw. I don't think they've been updating/patching DH Lite in probably 5 years. It's definitely not their focus. Just try playing DH Full, it's infinitely better. Then try out the mods in the subforum, lots of fun.

I told you the problem is moving transports more than 3000 distance away to amphibious assault someplace, which has been historically necessary and is ahistorically necessary in this game, and is possible IRL. The game does not allow it at all; and you responded by saying that the game is not the problem because it's DH Lite and nobody else said anything, and that I should mod the game unit.
How do I mod the game unit?

I don't like the DH Full map.

Falklands War.

Reactions:
Falklands War.

LOL, ok, you got me there. I was thinking the aborted Midway amphibious invasion also.

If you want to increase the range of the transports, you'll have to go into DH Lite's DB folder, open the unit subfolder and open the naval file with a word program like notepad. Simply find the different transport entries and change the ranges. I'm at the office right now so don't have access to the game's files, otherwise I'd post info here.

LOL, ok, you got me there. I was thinking the aborted Midway amphibious invasion also.

If you want to increase the range of the transports, you'll have to go into DH Lite's DB folder, open the unit subfolder and open the naval file with a word program like notepad. Simply find the different transport entries and change the ranges. I'm at the office right now so don't have access to the game's files, otherwise I'd post info here.
Thanks. I did what you said. The transports already constructed still have 3000, but new ones have the new value.
Is there a way to change the range of transports already constructed?

Thanks. I did what you said. The transports already constructed still have 3000, but new ones have the new value.
Is there a way to change the range of transports already constructed?

You might be able to do it by modding the save file, but I don't know if it's possible. The save files are in DH Light's scenario folder. You might want to write down the name of the individual transports you want to modify and do a word search because save files are really long.

Well, the 1.05.1 patch might be 2 years old but I am rather new to DH and I really want to say:

Thank you for the high quality patches. Very much appreciated.

And "patch" is rather a misnamer, in many aspects it is an upgrade or rather upgrades (and very good ones).

You also thoroughly impress me with the qualitiy of your documenatation... which, by the way, should be part of the game (manual + all dev diaries) when sold at paradox, GOG or steam. At GOG at least one can download the manual but not the dev diaries.

There is this pretty vocal guy on the darkest hour steam forums that keeps going on about bugs in 1.5.1 being so bad contra 1.4. For instance:

"Torpedoes may not be placed on human/allied subs & destroyers (BUT may be placed as usual on Axis subs & destroyers). Major game killing bug (specially if you play as Britain -relies on its navy for defense). More bugs than fixes in 1.5. Discussed in earlier Comment.

Have given up on DH & uninstalled. Overpowered Germany/Axis & huge gifts of wealth & armies render game unbalanced & Players research (tech), a waste of time."

I've always wondered if this is just one hella mad guy or if it's actually true that 1.5.1 introduced a few nasty bugs. Did a quick test and I cannot attach torpedoes to any dd or sub with any nation. What am I missing?

Last edited:
"Torpedoes may not be placed on human/allied subs & destroyers (BUT may be placed as usual on Axis subs & destroyers)."
To my knowledge, this should be impossible - torpedoes are deactivated for SS and DD at the units' files level, where units are determined for each country in the same way:
Code:
# MODEL_25_ #Destroyers

allowed_brigades = naval_asw
allowed_brigades = naval_anti_air_s
allowed_brigades = naval_radar_s
allowed_brigades = naval_fire_controll_s
allowed_brigades = naval_improved_hull_s
#allowed_brigades = naval_torpedoes_s
'#' before allowed_brigades turns this line into a comment, so there should be no way to attach torpedoes to SS or DD. Unless AI can work around it somehow.

If I'm not wrong, SS and DD lost torpedoes because they are already integral part of these ship's armament.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is this pretty vocal guy on the darkest hour steam forums that keeps going on about bugs in 1.5.1 being so bad contra 1.4. For instance:

"Torpedoes may not be placed on human/allied subs & destroyers (BUT may be placed as usual on Axis subs & destroyers). Major game killing bug (specially if you play as Britain -relies on its navy for defense). More bugs than fixes in 1.5. Discussed in earlier Comment.

Have given up on DH & uninstalled. Overpowered Germany/Axis & huge gifts of wealth & armies render game unbalanced & Players research (tech), a waste of time."

I've always wondered if this is just one hella mad guy or if it's actually true that 1.5.1 introduced a few nasty bugs. Did a quick test and I cannot attach torpedoes to any dd or sub with any nation. What am I missing?

I can confirm what @NukePL91 just stated. One caveat, some of the mods that use the Cold War Tech Tree like AIO and TGC still allow torpedoes to be attached to DD and Subs. But this true for the human and AI.

• 1Like
Reactions: