Surviving Mars Maps - find your perfect landinglocation

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not sure if you guys were aware of this but did you know Winter is Coming can change the map seed. If it adds permanent cold zones the local anomalies and breakthroughs are changed. I recently confirmed this on 14S 51E

Locations and breakthroughs changed for Armstrong

Been looking at these and none of the maps I've tried has any of the first four breakthroughs listed on them, only getting the last nine, this is after deep scanning the entire map. Are the first four ones that might come with Planetary Anomolies, or is there something else I'm missing? (Which is entirely possible as fairly new to the game)

yeah a bunch are for PAs, and it's not like there's an order you get them in?
From what I can tell its only ever those you have marked as Breakthrough's 5 to 13 that actually spawn on the map. Even if you have Paradox Sponsor (or a modded sponsor that gives additional anomolies) its not Breakthroughs 1-4 that spawn on the map, instead its 5-13 plus 2-4 more, so might be worth noting that in the colony map viewer mod.

Also, not sure how you managed to extract this information, but great job on doing it :)

Most likely (and it was the free update with Space Race that added planetary anomolies, not the DLC itself, my bad)

But was thinking on the Show Colonie Map mod breakthroughs page perhaps listing them seperately like the Omega Telescope ones are? So have three sections Planetary Breakthroughs, Map Breakthroughs and Omega Breakthroughs? After all I think Planetary Breakthroughs other colonies can get to first? (though not sur eon this :) )

Where do you find the database? I want to know the altitude of each coordinate. They have hidden the map coordinate data in the game files very well.

Any new maps with highest difficulty added to the game with Green Planet ?

My last 3, 4 playthroughs have been on 41N111W. I know that map and almost everything on it by hearth. It's getting boring.

OR maybe the coordinates for the 2nd hardest map(s) in the game ?

Last edited:
A word to the wise: survivingmarsmaps.com is no longer working, and the domain name has been taken over by something I suspect is a trojan ad.

Coming back to SM after a year, I guess I'll have to check out ECM to get this info. Darn.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't want to necro such an old thread, but with the new update the resource deposits changed for at least one starting location I tried: 4S106E.
Using the restart map button on a save game also results in changed resource deposits.

Reactions:
Very good program :)
Could you add altitude, for energy bonuses
The Starting Location general altitude DOES NOT affect wind turbine output.
Only the relative elevation WITHIN a given location map affects wind turbine output.
A low trench on an Olympus Mons vicinity starting map can be 0% boost, and the top of a tall plateau in the Marinaris Valley can be 105% boost.
A better standard for judging if a given map MIGHT have an area of extremely high wind boost is the roughness rating. But even then, a Relatively Flat map can often have a plateau area with 60-80% wind boost.