Imperator - Development Diary 10th of June

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will you still be able to set your navies to hunt down enemies (including pirates)? In times of peace, I like to set my navies to hunt enemies, and then board and capture pirates. Setting their tactics to boarding while selecting the law which increases both trade and pirates allows my navies grow over time.

Would it be possible to have this be dynamic, or at least semi-random, to prevent it from simply being a button you need to remember to press every year and eleven months? Maybe have it base off of the pirate leader’s traits and how much money he has?

It would be pretty cool if pirates just have to pay their men and maintenance for their ships like everyone else, and if they don't get cash from mercenary jobs, they'll have to get it through raiding ports.

I think (unfortunately) they have made it quite clear their design philosophy is for arbitrary abstractions as opposed to making a dynamic world.

That notwithstanding, I believe the above ideas would be a step in the right direction, though, the latter seems like it would be difficult to implement. Jorlem's idea seems more feasible, and from an immersion standpoint I would much prefer it than an arbitrary "every two years the pirates go viking along Greece." I would even prefer it be even more dynamic and unpredictable with the application of hidden bonus/malus to the pirate leader based on personality (ie. an opprotunistic pirate leader who likes to attack when your navy moves away during a war or a mad pirate who completely randomly raids. These bonuses/malus would not be visible to the player, but after some time, one might be able to determine the 'personality' of a particular pirate band). These would be random seed on each new game so different types of pirates spawn each campaign.

You should put in a natural disaster intensity slider, like in Civ6. Just for those people who want to play in an apocalyptic hellscape, y'know?

Will the Sirocco be represented in Sicily?

When the actual game releases in September (Cicero Update) ill gladly jump back in, thanks for taking the time to clean this mess up before adding DLC packs. I may even hop back in with Pompey. I have great faith in this games future, keep up the great work!

Maybe I have overlooked something but is there a way to pay pirates to leave you alone? Some kind of protection racket

Has anyone else besides me noticed that the volcanic eruption animation looks more like a basaltic Hawaiian volcano than a Plinian eruption, which Vesuvius was. Plinian eruptions would have had less lava, but are more explosive and would have giant columns of ash and devastating pyroclastic flows). I know lava looks cool, but if we're being scientifically accurate...
It’s for rule of cool than anything else. And that is what people think when they think of Volcanic Eruptions, lots of Lava and so on. Sometimes realism has to take a backseat to Fun. Strange I know...

Barbarians camps can be eradicated. If I remember correctly it is by increasing the surrounding civilization level. Also one of the possible effects of the civilization effort governor policies will reduce them and eventually remove them.

Have you got any evidence or examples of this please? Something that could make me happy once the 26th June Patch drops.

Have you got any evidence or examples of this please? Something that could make me happy once the 26th June Patch drops.
This is currently in the game. I suppose I can try to get a screenshot of the barbarian stronghold map (CTRL-Q) and show that there are no longer barbs in cisalpine gaul or the rest of my area.

If you select a province with a barb camp and hover over the values so see what can affect it.

You could look at the wiki. it does take some digging as there isn't a barb camp section.

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/City
near the bottom of the page it talks about civilization value and one of its effects is "Barbarian Growth: -0.005"

and on https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Province

It shows the effects of Civilization Effort two of which are :
  • Increase the civilisation level of adjacent barbarian strongholds by 2
  • Downgrade or remove a barbarian stronghold in adjacent cities