Imperator - Development Diary 10th of June

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The storms are a nice addition, will make the map more lively. I wodner if it's possible to make marching armies (perhaps even more so for the ones marching through hostile territory) suffer higher bad weather attrition than those just standing in their friendly territory?

From earlier in this thread
As for the storms, they will at most affect you for two attrition ticks and, since forts now block minimum attrition modifiers a friendly fort will protect you completely from them.

They already mentioned something like that provided you are in an area protected by a fort (not sure if that means just the fort city or adjacent ones too). If you are stand in the middle of nowhere it doesn’t matter if it is friendly or hostile territory.

Now do Avalanches aswell!!! :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D
With all thos snowy valleys, this would creat epic defense tactics.

Avalanche-2.jpg

Has anyone else besides me noticed that the volcanic eruption animation looks more like a basaltic Hawaiian volcano than a Plinian eruption, which Vesuvius was. Plinian eruptions would have had less lava, but are more explosive and would have giant columns of ash and devastating pyroclastic flows). I know lava looks cool, but if we're being scientifically accurate...

We're not going to be scientifically accurate as lava does look cool.

Pyroclastic flows also look pretty awesome to be fair.

Love the storms. I hope that someday we'll see droughts, floods, and especially monsoons as well.

Will the storms affect movement speed at all? It seems logically storms would slow down units moving through them. I love the high attrition in this game, and don't want storms to be things you could easily avoid. If they don't slow you down, it would be gamey but you could almost bypass them by moving your units on the first of the month and going right through them

I'm really surprised with the addition of the storms I did not expect it, now you can take advantage and invade a territory that ended up going through a sandstorm since the troops of that region will be more weakened for example ( logically that maybe you is the unlucky and storm is in you territory :p )

It was also said, that if you have fort you do not suffer attrition.

Has anyone else besides me noticed that the volcanic eruption animation looks more like a basaltic Hawaiian volcano than a Plinian eruption, which Vesuvius was. Plinian eruptions would have had less lava, but are more explosive and would have giant columns of ash and devastating pyroclastic flows). I know lava looks cool, but if we're being scientifically accurate...

You have broken my immersion.

I'm pretty sure they are not going to add an unique animation for every vulcan, but they are showing Aetna in the screenshots.

They already mentioned something like that provided you are in an area protected by a fort (not sure if that means just the fort city or adjacent ones too).

Yeah I've seen it. Have not actually considered that all of the fort ZoC could mitigate the effect but tbh it doesn't make much sense IMO.

If you are stand in the middle of nowhere it doesn’t matter if it is friendly or hostile territory.

If you STAND in the middle of nowhere - sure. But if you try to hide from extreme weather conditions (that's what it would be, sorry for the shortcut) in the middle of nowhere? Highly debatable.

Now, I may have not been clear enough on this but my main focus was the marching (through a strorm) part. Whether the territory's friendly or not, or in fact other possible and sensible modifiers (like eg civilization level or overall city pop happiness if the city's a friendly territory :eek: ) are secondary at best.

Yeah I've seen it. Have not actually considered that all of the fort ZoC could mitigate the effect but tbh it doesn't make much sense IMO.

If you STAND in the middle of nowhere - sure. But if you try to hide from extreme weather conditions (that's what it would be, sorry for the shortcut) in the middle of nowhere? Highly debatable.

Now, I may have not been clear enough on this but my main focus was the marching (through a strorm) part. Whether the territory's friendly or not, or in fact other possible and sensible modifiers (like eg civilization level or overall city pop happiness if the city's a friendly territory :eek: ) are secondary at best.

Since there isn’t a difference right now with desert or winter attrition based on if the unit is moving I don’t think there will be one for storms. Currently even the forced march penalty exists while not marching.

GREAT improvments!

I would like also weather affecting the economy, revolt risk and such. A Drought could hamper a whole econnomy in its time period.
Problem/ solution or mitigation
- Droughts: hamper economy ( tax, some produc output), pop decrease, increase revolt risk. / Granaries, importing food or by event redistribute or buy food.
- Flooding: hamper economy ( tax, some produc output), diseaseas, increase revolt risk / Infraestructure level.
- Harsh rain: Slow troop speed, increase attrition, hamper economy ( tax, some produc output), commerce / Infraestructure level.
also

- Good/Excellent wheather: increase tax, lower revot risk, increase happiness... also could increase certain product output.

The Attila total war has some good ideas of the time period weather bonus/panalties.

Last edited:
Droughts: pop increase?

Since there isn’t a difference right now with desert or winter attrition based on if the unit is moving I don’t think there will be one for storms. Currently even the forced march penalty exists while not marching.

Fair point. A pity, though. Honestly wish devs consider adding this feature one day :)

Unlike Mercenaries however the locations where Pirates call home are predetermined. They will exist in Pirate Havens all around the map. These havens provide a small benefit to the owner of the port but they are also the permanent home for a group of Pirates as long as they are not at sea.

Now not everyone likes Pirates. In times of war a unit in a Pirate Haven will be able to cleanse that city of its Haven and remove the Pirates permanently. Every country will also have access to a law to outlaw piracy, which will give them a Casus Belli on all countries that harbor pirates.

Likewise every country will have access to a law to condone Piracy, which will create a new Pirate Haven in one of your ports.

Are there other means for new pirate havens to appear? B.c. this sound slike over time pirate havens will become more rare and rare.

Are there other means for new pirate havens to appear? B.c. this sound slike over time pirate havens will become more rare and rare.
Pirates as they are presented are between Barbarian and Mercenary.
I feel that them going away as time moves forward is like how barbarian camps disappear as time goes on (as civilization value grows).