Imperator - Development Diary 10th of June

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok so at begining it will use military power but 10 weeks later they must change it. Maybe better use the new currency from the start so there is one less thing to change in 1.2
Oh.. so you want them to wait until 1.2 to add this feature? Since they will not be adding a new currency now.
Also for all we know it will only use gold and maybe mercenaries only use gold.

I was just correcting your assertion that power points were going away in 1.1

Several roman fleets were wiped out by storms. The game is meant to also represent historical challenges. And storms is one of them. The fact that it only causes attrition is actually an under-representation of how much of a destructive force storms were back in the day.
Augustus was intimately familiar with how powerful sea storms can be. I believe he took Neptune out of the sacred procession at one point out of sheer anger.

Would it be possible to have this be dynamic, or at least semi-random, to prevent it from simply being a button you need to remember to press every year and eleven months? Maybe have it base off of the pirate leader’s traits and how much money he has?
It would be pretty cool if pirates just have to pay their men and maintenance for their ships like everyone else, and if they don't get cash from mercenary jobs, they'll have to get it through raiding ports.

The harsh effects of weather is not really unique to the sea. In the Pompey patch Desert areas will also run a risk of storms, manifesting themselves in great sandstorms visible in the desert cities themselves, potentially turning an already inhospitable route into a much more taxing affair.
if an army was in his way to attack, and he got stuck in a storm can I still control it or is he lost in the storm and the AI (general) will take control?

if an army was in his way to attack, and he got stuck in a storm can I still control it or is he lost in the storm and the AI (general) will take control?
There was nothing stated to indicate that you would lose control of your army with sandstorms (or your navy with storms). You just take more attrition damage with those conditions.

I'm really surprised with the addition of the storms I did not expect it, now you can take advantage and invade a territory that ended up going through a sandstorm since the troops of that region will be more weakened for example ( logically that maybe you is the unlucky and storm is in you territory :p )

Oh.. so you want them to wait until 1.2 to add this feature? Since they will not be adding a new currency now.
Also for all we know it will only use gold and maybe mercenaries only use gold.

I was just correcting your assertion that power points were going away in 1.1

Yes, i was wrong in the power points removal but the question is still valid. How will we pay for pirates once 1.2 is launched?

And if they know already how it will be then, why not to implement it now despite the military points still in use. One less change in the code is one less option for a bug.

But this caused me a doubt for example I am being attacked and begins a Winter Storms in case my troops are standing in my city defending they suffer less attrition penalty? (after all, the troops can shelter themselves in the buildings of the city) and the enemy troops that are moving in my territory suffer more attrition penalty? (since they will not have adequate place to shelter) if it is so maybe a storm could even be used as a defense to repel the invaders... ( maybe the Gods are protecting you ;))

That pirate mechanic is excellent. Can pirates be hired to do anything other than simply join your fleet? Can you hire them to raid other lands while at peace?

this is fantastic, just what i hoped in improving warfare!

I do they will do more down the line with this sort of thing, like deserts hiding troops or pirates having the ability to kidnap and ransom charecters. Pirate havens sounds interesting, and i hope they flesh it out more later down the line

Yes, i was wrong in the power points removal but the question is still valid. How will we pay for pirates once 1.2 is launched?

And if they know already how it will be then, why not to implement it now despite the military points still in use. One less change in the code is one less option for a bug.

They have already mention that some things that used to have a power point cost no longer do in 1.1 so we are not sure what anything costs in 1.1.

In 1.2 things might be added and rebalanced, I would rather not have them waste time now changing 1.1 which is scheduled to be out in weeks and has possible been feature frozen by now.
One more change in the code now is one more option for a bug and probably another balance check.

This is nice. Would be nice to see some other disasters later on like floods, locust swarms, plagues and tornadoes causing harm and destructions in cities. :)

Will there be moddable land-based weather effects as well, like adding a random rain effect? Or a land-based rain-storm leaving terrain very muddy and slowing down armies a lot unless roads have been built?

This gets my hope for a depiction of monsoon later on in the development of this game as well.

Love the pirate rework. Played as Massilia, had pirates spawn near my port day 1, couldn't employ my navy without spending considerable amount of resources to expand it first. In short: bad mechanic prevented me from using my navy as a naval trade power.

I second the notion that 'own' pirates should be hireable during peacetime to raid, tagreting either a specific city (with a small percentage chance to miss their mark by some reasonable distance XD ) or a country - then they would choose a city randomly or take iunto account its richness and security. They could sometimes raid adjacent city or two as well, terrorize the entire coastline! And the more they raid the more relations worsen with the raided country.

The storms are a nice addition, will make the map more lively. I wodner if it's possible to make marching armies (perhaps even more so for the ones marching through hostile territory) suffer higher bad weather attrition than those just standing in their friendly territory?

Has anyone else besides me noticed that the volcanic eruption animation looks more like a basaltic Hawaiian volcano than a Plinian eruption, which Vesuvius was. Plinian eruptions would have had less lava, but are more explosive and would have giant columns of ash and devastating pyroclastic flows). I know lava looks cool, but if we're being scientifically accurate...

Because protecting your traders drives foreign merchants from your markets, stifling commerce. Your traders will be happy, because they have less competition, but your economy will suffer.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the edict/law meant that you would stop protecting the traders from harm, not from competition.