Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #39: The Next Gen Campaign

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like what you've done with the place!

The purple water on the alien planet is really nice.

Two things that I'd like to see available for our use:
- Environmental lighting variations in the RMG. I don't believe AoW 3 did this, outside of the cosmic happenings.
- The tools that allow this "random but with predetermined features" map generation.

I'm more of an RMG style of person myself. I played all of 3's campaigns about half way. These look short enough that I'll probably finish them - and use them as a tutorial.

How's the random starts for the AI gonna work? In 3, The AI generally started massively ahead of you. Will the same thing be happening here?

Last edited:
When you do other factions (not big 3) campaign, that's a new campaign unlocked or one you continue with your character from the first? (like when you play the lizardmen in 1)

Every time a campaign map is generated, it will look and play a little bit different.

I like that new approach, but like always I have a concern. This:

Campaign quests are distinguished between side quests and the main path that leads to the resolution of the story and victory. Most maps have a number of standard victory conditions active a long side the main campaign quest (conquest, unifier doomsday, etc) giving you freedom on how to tackle the scenario.

What happens if somehow, the generated map makes it impossible to achieve victory due to conflicted quests/locations/factions, are we then stuck, or will there be a chance to reroll current map?

I like that new approach, but like always I have a concern. This:
What happens if somehow, the generated map makes it impossible to achieve victory due to conflicted quests/locations/factions, are we then stuck, or will there be a chance to reroll current map?
I think they'll have mechanics in place to make sure this doesn't happen.

While we haven't heard a lot (or even anything?) from him on Planetfall, he was mentioned as a story designer when Planetfall was originally announced. Haven't spotted his in-game alter-ego in any screenshot or vid yet though :)

While we haven't heard a lot (or even anything?) from him on Planetfall, he was mentioned as a story designer when Planetfall was originally announced. Haven't spotted his in-game alter-ego in any screenshot or vid yet though :)

Mah Reg'Nib (Ham Binger) is on about every other unit quote, so I think it's safe to assume :p

Will there be Kirk and Spock like characters? The game is based on retro sci fi after all, so the grand fathers of the genre should make an appearance

In AoW:SM there was a hero from Nomad faction named Khan, according to his lore his life is one huge vendetta against some guy known as Kirk.

So yeah, I would have been surprised if there no reference like this in Planetfall. :p

I wonder if the fabled blade Merlin finds during the AoW:SM campaign, or Merlin himself, shows up in some secret capacity. I would love space Tigrans as well. As an on topic question: could Atla itself be a planet that is findable?

Edit:spelling corrected

A few questions:
1) Is the main storyline linear or not? If the latter is true, how will that be implemented?
2) How is progress transferred from one mission to the next? Technologies, heroes, gear? Will the max level of technological advancement and max level of heroes increase with accomplishing missions? In particular, will all the units be available from the 1st mission again not not? Any other tools to make the campaign less static than in AoW3?
3) Are we allowed to play a male commander of Amazons? :)

Last edited:
A few questions:
1) Is the main storyline linear or not? If the latter is true, how will that be implemented?
2) How is progress transferred from one mission to the next? Technologies, heroes, gear? Will the max level of technological advancement and max level of heroes increase with accomplishing missions? In particular, will all the units be available from the 1st mission again not not? Any other tools to make the campaign less static than in AoW3?

Good question! I hope the third one, if available, has an instalocked blingy belt, as your heir of Hercules is required to show it while leading his host of Amazons...

A few questions:

So I finally got some answers to your question 2 which is also very important to me (as a min maxer who values progression in the campaign).
WARNING SPOILERS
Disclaimer: I only have witnessed progress transfer to the second Vanguard scenario, so I don't know how it difers for the other second scenarios (I saw that Dvar change main hero for example).
No Research, military or economic progress transfer to next scenario. It is a new world after all.
But there is progress transfer on your main hero, namely the level and the gear. The skill points choices are reset. There is no new customization/load out options if the main hero is the same as scenario 1. Note that your secondary heroes and any hired heroes don't seem to be carried over though. Unclear if and how any moral choices and side quest accomplishments carry over.

Unrelated I also noticed that strangely enough the weapon loadout of your main hero is copied by your secondary hero in scenario 1. I would have expected more variation there.

Been playing through the Vanguard campaign. It's fun space opera stuff. Really having a good time with it, and the quest writer/s have made me smile a couple of times already with their writing. One thing which took me by surprise though was accidentally triggering autovictory conditions - I need to remind myself to keep an eye on that on future planets.