So What Starting Lance Did the Game Give You?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
each slot has its own separate list, with its own mechs and weights. it is only semi-random. the most common start is BJ-1, VND-1R, JR7-D, FS9-H, UM-R60. but there are a variety of other options in the lists. if you want to look at them all, they're in data\itemCollections\itemCollection_Mechs_Starting_*.csv.

each slot has its own separate list, with its own mechs and weights. it is only semi-random. the most common start is BJ-1, VND-1R, JR7-D, FS9-H, UM-R60. but there are a variety of other options in the lists. if you want to look at them all, they're in data\itemCollections\itemCollection_Mechs_Starting_*.csv.
Thank you.

Here are your choices, from the game files.

Slot 1
mechdef_blackjack_BJ-1,Mech,1,4
mechdef_vindicator_VND-1R,Mech,1,3
mechdef_centurion_CN9-A,Mech,1,2
mechdef_enforcer_ENF-4R,Mech,1,2

Slot 2
mechdef_blackjack_BJ-1,Mech,1,1
mechdef_vindicator_VND-1R,Mech,1,4
mechdef_centurion_CN9-A,Mech,1,3
mechdef_enforcer_ENF-4R,Mech,1,2

Slot 3
mechdef_commando_COM-1B,Mech,1,2
mechdef_commando_COM-2D,Mech,1,2
mechdef_jenner_JR7-D,Mech,1,4
mechdef_panther_PNT-9R,Mech,1,4

Slot 4
mechdef_commando_COM-1B,Mech,1,2
mechdef_commando_COM-2D,Mech,1,2
mechdef_spider_SDR-5V,Mech,1,4
mechdef_firestarter_FS9-H,Mech,1,4
mechdef_cicada_CDA-2A,Mech,1,1
mechdef_cicada_CDA-3C,Mech,1,1

Slot 5
mechdef_locust_LCT-1M,Mech,1,1
mechdef_locust_LCT-1S,Mech,1,1
mechdef_locust_LCT-1V,Mech,1,1
mechdef_urbanmech_UM-R60,Mech,1,3
mechdef_spider_SDR-5V,Mech,1,2
mechdef_commando_COM-1B,Mech,1,1
mechdef_commando_COM-2D,Mech,1,1

@ Kiva, Can I assume the numbers at the end affect the "Random chance" factor ie higher number, lower chance? Also can we add anything to those lists or is there a limit?

Oh, re read Kiva's post, I was actually digging this out before Kiva posted. Your most common lance has the highest chances so I assume the higher the number in the second position then the higher the chance of getting the mech, Ie the Urbie in Slot 5 has 3 out of 10 chances to be picked.
Is this correct?

Last edited:
It would be nice if there were more options such as being able to set each slot to be a random light mech from the whole pool or setting a tonnage limit and getting a fully random lance etc.

It would be nice if there were more options such as being able to set each slot to be a random light mech from the whole pool or setting a tonnage limit and getting a fully random lance etc.

Yeah well I am sick of playing with most of those mechs, so I was thinking of changing it to H,M,L,L,L or some such and adjusting the lists accordingly. Or even A,H,M,L and playing with pieced of 8. Need to add at least the 50 and 55 tonners and any remaining lights too. IMO

Or this one for giggles
mechdef_jagermech_JM6-S_fp_headhunting

(Thats the 2 GR Jager from the flashpoint BTW)

I was hoping it was possible to start with a random lance of light mechs. Oh well.
It's an easy mod with practically zero risk of breaking things.

I will try to get some instructions up in the modding forum once the update is done downloading on my painfully slow connection (unless someone beats me to it). If there isn't something available by about this time next week, ping me on this thread to remind me.

Do without jump jets??? Never!

I've been really struggling with LOS which suggests JJs have become a crutch. Seems like a no/minimal JJ run is called for as a challenge and to get my eye in for reading the terrain better.

for mi
Blackjack
BlackJack
Jenner
Spider
Locust

It may be a good idea to add a rule to not have 2 time the same mech. Not a great deal but may add diversity.

my first career re-roll after testing with some pre-saved games.
20190605182217_1.jpg

I have rolled several new careers already, not out of a desire to min/max the starter mechs but because the Random Number God has not been kind and I scratch a save on PC death (I make the Guts check myself with actual dice).

I was most recently granted the below:
Vindicator
Enforcer
Jenner
Firestarter
UrbanMech

Pros: Respectable firepower on every mech, unlike the old Spider start.
Cons: With so many good lights in my opening lineup, I am already thoroughly disinterested in salvaging anything lighter than a Hatchetman (except maybe a Panther, personal preference over the Vindicator). This is essentially the same point as above, looked at through a different lens.

I was hoping it was possible to start with a random lance of light mechs. Oh well.

Picking your own starting lance is easy.

First find the correct .json file. For me it's here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants

Open SimGameConstants.json with Notepad++ (free to download)

Scroll down to:

"StartingPlayerMech" : "mechdef_vindicator_VND-1R",
"StartingLance" : [
"mechdef_jenner_JR7-D",
"mechdef_commando_COM-1B",
"mechdef_spider_SDR-5V",
"mechdef_panther_PNT-9R"

Make the changes you want, following the format in the file. The names of all of the original mechs are here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\chassis

I'm not sure where the new mechs are - maybe somewhere in the Flashpoints files? - but they're easy enough to figure out. For example, the Hatchetman is "mechdef_hatchetman_HCT-3F".

You just pick whatever mechs you want - you can take up to 6 total - and plug them into the list, being careful not to screw up the formatting. Make a backup copy of the SimGameConstants.json file before you start, and the process will be totally, 100% foolproof.

I'm told you do the same thing for campaign mode, but the correct lines to modify are a bit higher up in the same json file. I've never tried it.

Also, now that UW is out you have to remember to turn off the Random Lance toggle in the setup menu.

I didn't get to play very long last night, but I started a new game last night and rolled up a Centurion, Enforcer, Jenner and two Spiders.

I have mixed feelings about this pull. On the one hand I'm not sure how I feel about pulling two 50 ton medium mechs in my starting lance, but on the other it does feel kinda nice that the pressure to get some solid medium mechs is lessened a bit with this start and I can hold out to work my way up to some better lights and eventually medium mechs. It also helps as a Davion player I get two of my favorite mediums from the 3025 era starting out.

CN9-A Centurion
VND-1R Vindicator
JR7-D Jenner
SDR-5V Spider
SDR-5V Spider