• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 4th of June 2019

Hello again! In previous weeks we’ve shown you revamped maps of Italy and German and the revitalized political setups in these regions. Today will be no different as we delve into the land of cheese, wine, and élan!

dd_france.png

The most striking thing you’ll notice about this new setup is the return of the French “vassal swarm”. The Duchies of Orleans, Bourbonnais, Auvergne, Armagnac, and Foix will be returning to the game alongside their glorious but rarely-seen Hundred Years War unit models. But how will you balance this, I preemptively hear you asking? Won’t France need extra diplomatic relations to cope with this? Won’t France be horrendously overpowered in the early game? Fear not, for we have answers and solutions - which I am not going to reveal today.

So, what's up with balkanized France? The reality is that in 1444, the Kingdom of France was quite decentralized. The Hundred Years War had forced the King to enact new taxes to finance his troops which led to several revolts and conspiracies from its nobility. That conflict continued for most of the second half of the 15th century. Historically the crown prevailed and managed to bring France toward centralization and absolutism, but in EU4 it won't be a given. Hence we decided to make that part of the French gameplay by representing the strongest Dukes and Counts as vassals in 1444.
  • Orléans was the strongest of them and often the leader of the resistance against the Crown. The head of the House of Orléans in 1444 was Charles the First, a cousin of the King who spent 25 years in English captivity. His son Louis would historically become King of France later on following the extinction of the main Valois branch.
  • The Duchy of Bourbon (or Bourbonnais) is held by Jean II, an up and coming noble that illustrated himself in combat the same year our game starts. Historically, he sided with the King's party, but changed side later on after losing a prestigious office.
  • Armagnac is in a tight spot. The result of CK2-style border gore, his possessions are spread across central and southern France. Its leader, Jean IV, recently took part in a failed revolt against the King and is kept on a tight leash.
  • Foix is held by Count Gaston IV, also General Lieutenant of the French Armies of Gascony and Guyenne.

You’ll also notice that France and its subjects (nominal and otherwise) have a handful of additional provinces. I mentioned in a previous dev diary a desire to include Foix, Carcassonne, Toulon, and La Marche. All of these have made it in to this iteration of the map. Toulon felt especially valuable due to its status as a major base of naval operations for France later in the timeframe, and as you’ll see in an upcoming dev diary the establishment of this great arsenal is an important part of more than one new mission tree. We also found room for Forez, which allows us to represent the divide between the crown and Bourbon territories. Blois beefs up the Duchy of Orleans, the most powerful of the French vassal states and often a thorn in the side of the French kings.

To better represent the divide between western (Ducal Burgundy) and eastern (Free HRE Country Burgundy), we added the province of Salins and its large salt mine. This lead us to split Burgundy in two, but instead of following the Imperial divide we elected instead to make two balanced states with one holding land on both sides, making any division an imperfect choice that is sure to spark more conflict in the future.

dd_geneva.png

Another addition to the political setup is the city-state of Geneva, here represented in 1444 as a vassal of Savoy. Geneva was subject to Savoy until 1524, and up to that point had a troubled relationship with its overlord. The House of Savoy repeatedly attempted to increase their control over the city to little avail except to alienate its citizens and foster a desire for independence. Local authorities sought to ally with the Swiss cantons, and the city would eventually join the Swiss Confederacy. In addition, the old province of Savoy has been split between Anessi and Ciamber.

dd_ned.png

Moving further away from France, we’ve also made some changes to the Low Countries. I’ve spoken before regarding our concerns about adding provinces to this region. We want it to retain the feeling of being a highly developed and densely populated region, and adding new provinces would force us to split development to the point that it might lose that feeling. We have however managed to squeeze in two additional provinces: ‘s-Hertogenbosch has been cut off from Breda, and Rysel adds a province to Flanders. We’ve also revised the Utrecht-Frisia border to reflect historical divisions of the Dutch provinces. Speaking of Frisia, we have at long last added Frisian culture to the game. You’ll find Frisians inhabiting the provinces of Friesland, Groningen, and Ostfriesland. We’ve also redrawn the area map, doing away with the “Netherlands” area and adding a distinction between North and South Brabant.

Last week I promised a look at the Balkans alongside France, but we’ve decided instead to dedicate an entire dev diary to this topic. Expect to see that in a couple of weeks, as our next dev diary will cover some of the new mission trees in the French and Dutch region. Until then, let us know what you think of the new map setup as well as which mission trees you want to see next week.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
That's a good _start_ :D

ADDENDUM:

Also now Verdun is on the map so you can fight those damn Germans in the trenches for years. Oh wait, wrong game...

capture.PNG

Daniel was also kind to ask for suggestions regarding states so here I tried to make something that follows the historical Ancien Régime division (which partially inspired the re-division that was made during the Révolution):

States.PNG

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The Zerg swarm came as was foretold...

Fantastique ! j'ai hâte de peindre la carte en bleu.
time to unleash a horde on the brits and the dutch , and the emperor , and the spaniards...

I'm so happy I already got bbb under my belt. Honestly excited about what this will do for the early game in the region.

I like it and I'm looking forward to the promised "answers and solutions".
But I've lost count - how many times have we switched from France united to France vassal swarm to France united? :)

I really like the changes in France! More than in Germany or Italy in fact, but I am not implying they were bad.
With the addition of Toulon, historically accurate missions for French navy can finally be made ^^

I would be interested in Breton, French and Dutch mission trees the most, I am wondering what you came up with ^^

The reality is that in 1444, the Kingdom of France was quite decentralized.

Many kingdoms and states were quite decentralized in 1444, why only France needs a different representation in the game?

Can we expect French Ducal NI group to go into history in 1.29? Orleans apparantly already have unique NIs.

All in all - very nice. I'm glad you decided to give France and its neighborhood spotlight this week.

Add channel islands as 1 province. Islands in general are cool.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will there be an event chain about the War of the League of the Public Weal? It’s very important historically and should help in keeping France under check for a little while.

Can we expect French Ducal NI group to go into history in 1.29? Orleans apparantly already have unique NIs.
Talk about ideas will come at a later stage in our DD series. But I may have something for you...
Add channel islands as 1 province. Islands in general are cool.
Please don't give Daniel any pretext to put Jersey there :confused: